Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 15 2014, 09:12 AM) *
I don't think RCCs can jam. IIRC, Jam Signals is an Attack-based Matrix Action. I think it's limited to cyberdecks only. But Overkill has a bunch of jammers.

Oh- I can reduce noise using the RCC, not create it. That makes it's own kind of sense.
-DrZ

ETA: Do we want to come up with a list of questions, like we did for Stinger? Lobo, is it kosher with you if we do that?
Jack VII
You can start asking. I think we could send Grease questions via text messages as they come up. Might even be fun coming up with stuff organically as he talks... or doesn't as the case may be.
Lobo0705
Sorry for the delay in responding - things are a little busy at work frown.gif

To answer some of the questions:

1) Jack, it doesn't appear he is using the blood as a lubricant yet - but I will be aware that you are keeping a close eye on it.

2) Grease, as in interrogating Stinger, you all can communicate via text without him hearing, and while I don't necessarily think it is fair to spend the next several days (in real life) deliberating questions, I certainly don't have a problem if you discuss slightly out of character (or what would probably be even better would be for everything to be posted IC in the form of text messaging).

The two things to bring up on that note are:

1) Jack has to physically type his messages out, unless he wants to get a helmet
2) Amy has to use her subvocal mic, and with her being this close to Lynx, depending on any hearing enhancements he has, he may be able to hear her.

So we are all on the same page, I'm just waiting for Grease to ask a question after the influence spell has been cast.

One other thing to note, you have him under the influence of this spell for the next 2 minutes only (in game).
Jack VII
I thought I still had my helmet on... if not, no problem, I'll put it on. Amy would probably be safer just tapping it out on her commlink's keypad.

I like us just sending text messages organically in the scene.
Chrome Head
Well, like I said before, she just cast the spell, but there's a 10 second delay before the spell is permanent (and working) and so 10 seconds before the 2 minutes start. Right after those 10 seconds, Amy will do and say what I posted OOC earlier, probably interrupting Grease. I think Grease should put that into his own IC post and let Lobo reply at that point.
DrZaius
Thats right- I was / am waiting for him to respond to the Bradshere question. Sorry if there was confusion from my end.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 15 2014, 12:54 PM) *
Thats right- I was / am waiting for him to respond to the Bradshere question. Sorry if there was confusion from my end.

-DrZ

Lynx isn't responding to your question about Bradshere.

You can ask a new question now that the Influence spell has been cast, or you can re-ask the Bradshere question.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 15 2014, 02:46 PM) *
Lynx isn't responding to your question about Bradshere.

You can ask a new question now that the Influence spell has been cast, or you can re-ask the Bradshere question.

Gotcha. I will get a new IC post up this evening.
-DrZ
Chrome Head
I think it's relevant to check (roll for) if Grease has noticed Amy casting the spell.

As I had planned to do, I made Amy intervene, but she will cede the floor back to Grease once she's made her point.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Oct 15 2014, 07:39 PM) *
As I had planned to do, I made Amy intervene, but she will cede the floor back to Grease once she's made her point.

I think I'm confused here, what point is that exactly?
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 15 2014, 08:57 PM) *
I think I'm confused here, what point is that exactly?

That Lynx now answers our questions.
Lobo0705
So - and this is my fault for not being clearer her - remember that Influence is not Control Thoughts or Actions.

If you remember back when you guys tried to Interrogate Stinger - not that I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't, it was July 30th (so over two months ago in real life)!

Post# 4276
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 30 2014, 09:50 AM) *
ETA: Maybe Amy could Influence him?

Post# 4278
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jul 30 2014, 02:07 PM) *
This is a possibility - but you are going to be limited as to what you can do with it. Remember that Influence is not designed to be a Control Thoughts/Control Actions, and given the way Stinger feels I would probably not allow an Influence spell to compel him to give you the information.

That doesn't mean that clever application of it can't yield some results with good RP - we'll see what you guys come up with.

Lynx is much more intractable than Stinger. So a direct order to tell you what he knows isn't going to work. Again, if Grease is able to work some interesting RP into this, Amy's spell may definitely help, but it can't be used as a sledgehammer to break down his resistance to interrogation.

Given that this is coming very late in the day, and I should have been clearer, I'll give you two options:

1) Leave everything as it is, and move over to Grease to try and do his thing, with the effects of the Influence spell assisting (potentially)
2) Retcon the casting of the spell completely, giving you your reagents back as well as removing the two boxes of Stun damage - since you may not want to expend those resources on something that may or may not work.
Jack VII
So I'm hearing a few votes in favor of adding a dose or two of Gamma-Scopolamine to our shopping list? wink.gif
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 16 2014, 07:22 AM) *
So I'm hearing a few votes in favor of adding a dose or two of Gamma-Scopolamine to our shopping list? wink.gif

I am insulted! Stinger talked, and we didn't even touch him! This is a direct affront to Grease's professional capabilities. That's like asking a race-car driver to get an automatic car.
Lobo0705
Since Dr. Z is on now, here is a little more fleshing out of what I have in mind.

The direct approach probably will not work with him.

I'll let you ask him direct questions, but your negative penalties are going to be pretty severe - still, you never know how the dice will turn out.

Better is an oblique approach - I actually like the idea of going at him with Bradshere, just bear in mind this isn't a guy who just finished getting high and was willing to sell out his team so he could go free, so the line of questioning, if not done properly, will cause him to clam up pretty fast.

I will let the dice help on this, since Dr. Z is not a professional interrogator, and I'm not going to play "gotcha" - there won't be any "Aha! you said the wrong thing, now he clams up and stays silent forever!" if you as a player make a poor decision. I'll have Grease make a Intimidation test and if he passes, he can realize that this is not the way to go. If the test fails, however, then Lynx may indeed clam up. However, in that instance, it is because Grease failed at his job, (the way it would be if Amy failed to cast a spell, or Overkill failed to hack something) rather than Dr. Z failing to know proper interrogation technique.

I posted this for a couple reasons:

1) Your IC post is still going the direct approach.
2) We need to see if Amy still wants to cast the Influence spell or not, knowing it will only have a limited effect (if any) - and if we have to retcon stuff, I just want to limit the number of IC posts we have to fix smile.gif

ETA - Your latest IC post has you looking at "Stinger" and not at "Lynx" - just a minor typo
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 16 2014, 08:05 AM) *
I am insulted! Stinger talked, and we didn't even touch him! This is a direct affront to Grease's professional capabilities. That's like asking a race-car driver to get an automatic car.

LOL. Don't those guys get fined all the time for illegal modifications to their vehicles? wink.gif
Chrome Head
I'm still casting the spell, I'm not going to back out of that at this point. We'll see how it goes.

However, instead of asking the question directly, as the spell is becoming permanent, Amy will pull out her commlink and text the team instead of doing that very last thing I posted. Is it okay if I retcon just that small bit? (Grease would have to edit his last post as well)
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Oct 16 2014, 09:29 AM) *
I'm still casting the spell, I'm not going to back out of that at this point. We'll see how it goes.

However, instead of asking the question directly, as the spell is becoming permanent, Amy will pull out her commlink and text the team instead of doing that very last thing I posted. Is it okay if I retcon just that small bit? (Grease would have to edit his last post as well)

Of course - go ahead and modify your IC post - no problem.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 16 2014, 09:34 AM) *
Since Dr. Z is on now, here is a little more fleshing out of what I have in mind.

The direct approach probably will not work with him.

I'll let you ask him direct questions, but your negative penalties are going to be pretty severe - still, you never know how the dice will turn out.

Better is an oblique approach - I actually like the idea of going at him with Bradshere, just bear in mind this isn't a guy who just finished getting high and was willing to sell out his team so he could go free, so the line of questioning, if not done properly, will cause him to clam up pretty fast.

I will let the dice help on this, since Dr. Z is not a professional interrogator, and I'm not going to play "gotcha" - there won't be any "Aha! you said the wrong thing, now he clams up and stays silent forever!" if you as a player make a poor decision. I'll have Grease make a Intimidation test and if he passes, he can realize that this is not the way to go. If the test fails, however, then Lynx may indeed clam up. However, in that instance, it is because Grease failed at his job, (the way it would be if Amy failed to cast a spell, or Overkill failed to hack something) rather than Dr. Z failing to know proper interrogation technique.

I posted this for a couple reasons:

1) Your IC post is still going the direct approach.
2) We need to see if Amy still wants to cast the Influence spell or not, knowing it will only have a limited effect (if any) - and if we have to retcon stuff, I just want to limit the number of IC posts we have to fix smile.gif

ETA - Your latest IC post has you looking at "Stinger" and not at "Lynx" - just a minor typo

I appreciate that ruling; it helps clear things up on my end. Edited the Lynx/Stinger issue as well.

I will try to think of some different angles to approach Lynx from.

-DrZ

ETA: @Jack: How apropos: http://what-if.xkcd.com/116/
Jack VII
So I think we're all on the same page? Just need to do a little housekeeping on some posts to get it in line? It seems like Amy is going to go ahead with the spell and text the team that she cast a spell that should make Lynx more amenable, which should lead into Grease's questioning, from what I can tell.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 16 2014, 11:09 AM) *
So I think we're all on the same page? Just need to do a little housekeeping on some posts to get it in line? It seems like Amy is going to go ahead with the spell and text the team that she cast a spell that should make Lynx more amenable, which should lead into Grease's questioning, from what I can tell.

Yes - Chrome just has to change that one post, and then Grease can change his line of questioning. (mind you - Dr Z can change his first and then Chrome can do his - either way is fine.)

Once Grease gives his final IC post, then I can make some rolls and see how Lynx responds. (or tell Dr. Z that Grease would think it was a bad idea to ask that question)
Chrome Head
Done. Now it's up to DrZ to decide how Grease is going to use that.
DrZaius
Sorry guys; I'm having some trouble figuring out a way of asking questions obliquely. I'm going to change tacks a bit, hopefully it'll open something up.
Jack VII
I don't see anything wrong with asking about Crimson Fire. It's pretty oblique, yet almost certainly directly related to his Johnson.
Lobo0705
Ok lets run down some numbers:

General modifiers:
Enemy -4
Street Cred -2
Information is Annoying to NPC -1 (I shifted it down one category for the Influence spell from Harmful to Annoying)

Intimidation Modifiers (since Interrogation is a Intimidation specialization)
You outnumber him +2
Wielding weapon or magic +2
Subject is imposing -1 (I would have made this more of a negative, but I'm taking into consideration some other factors that would mitigate it)

So total modifier of -4 dice

Grease has got Charisma 6, Pheromones +1, Intimidation 3, for a total of 10 dice, -4 for modifiers is 6.
6d6.hits(5)=1

Lynx resists
Charisma + Willpower, -2 for wound modifiers
5d6.hits(5)=1

He is, however, unwilling to give up the info.

Jack VII
Quick note: Pheremones don't help Intimidation tests per RAW. Doesn't change the end result, but for future attempts.

frown.gif On not getting him to break, but it's basically a 50/50 shot.

ETA: Just a thought, the first line of Lynx's response might provide an opening, depending on whether we want to drop the Stinger card on him. That or he's letting us know that he is already pretty sure that Stinger sold him out.
Lobo0705
Lol - you've caught ME off balance with that one.
Jack VII
I chuckled at it. I could see him sort of trying to tie it into the footage of him meeting with Johnson in an extremely round about way. If Grease was actually adept at neuro-linguistic programming, it's actually part of the strategy to establish a baseline.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 16 2014, 03:36 PM) *
I chuckled at it. I could see him sort of trying to tie it into the footage of him meeting with Johnson in an extremely round about way. If Grease was actually adept at neuro-linguistic programming, it's actually part of the strategy to establish a baseline.

If that is what he is doing that is slick - it didn't even occur to me why he was asking it. But nicely done smile.gif
Chrome Head
Can Intimidation rolls use teamwork? Can someone else have a go at trying to intimidate him? (would that lead to a roll)
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 16 2014, 04:35 PM) *
Lol - you've caught ME off balance with that one.

Happy to help cyber.gif

New IC post is up as well. I'll try to bang out a few tomorrow, if everyone is available.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Oct 16 2014, 05:30 PM) *
Can Intimidation rolls use teamwork? Can someone else have a go at trying to intimidate him? (would that lead to a roll)

Yes, Intimidation can be done as a teamwork test, not a problem.

I'm going to hold off on rolling for Grease's next question until Chrome comes on, as he might want to have Amy participate in the questioning (and get to add in some extra dice potentially)

As an aside, Jack can also help out, although that may not be a good idea, given he would only be rolling 2 dice and would have a decent chance to glitch.
Jack VII
Unfortunately, corp scrubs at Javier's level don't really learn much in the way of intimidation. If we ultimately have to draw up an agreement with Lynx covering his surrender though, I'm your ork.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 17 2014, 10:15 AM) *
Unfortunately, corp scrubs at Javier's level don't really learn much in the way of intimidation. If we ultimately have to draw up an agreement with Lynx covering his surrender though, I'm your ork.

Fire up the 'ole "Knowledge: Business" knowsoft?

-DrZ
Jack VII
I have Profession: Business knowledge natively, thank you very much! I also have Negotiations/Contracts as a native skill. wink.gif
Chrome Head
She can't really add something at this very moment IC, but I could see her come in at the right moment saying something like "I don't know why you even bother with this. Let's just sell him for parts and be done with it. Actually, I wouldn't mind spending some alone time with him first...", and she takes out her survival knife. Grease could then come in, and use that as extra leverage in an intimidation attempt.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Oct 17 2014, 10:18 AM) *
She can't really add something at this very moment IC, but I could see her come in at the right moment saying something like "I don't know why you even bother with this. Let's just sell him for parts and be done with it. Actually, I wouldn't mind spending some alone time with him first...", and she takes out her survival knife. Grease could then come in, and use that as extra leverage in an intimidation attempt.

Good idea, I think "Bad Cop/Worse Cop" is a viable use of an Intimidation Teamwork test.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 17 2014, 10:19 AM) *
Good idea, I think "Bad Cop/Worse Cop" is a viable use of an Intimidation Teamwork test.

"She's crazy man, I can't stop her! Do you need a soda? How about something to eat?"
Lobo0705
Ok - So Amy's teamwork test.

6d6.hits(5)=1

And Grease's test, same as before, +1 die
7d6.hits(5)=2

And Lynx's resistance
5d6.hits(5)=1

So success smile.gif

I'll write up the IC, incorporating Chrome's response above - it will be up in a few minutes smile.gif

Lobo0705
@Dr. Zaius,

Do you mean to say "Decker" instead of "Rigger"?

Only someone with a deck can set a Data Bomb, so I just want to make sure it wasn't a typo before Lynx answers.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 17 2014, 12:22 PM) *
@Dr. Zaius,

Do you mean to say "Decker" instead of "Rigger"?

Only someone with a deck can set a Data Bomb, so I just want to make sure it wasn't a typo before Lynx answers.

It was not a typo. cyber.gif

-DrZ
Jack VII
I think one more insinuation making him think about deckers or drug addicts and you might want to try to sweep the leg, Johnny!

Huh... too bad the crimson fire pills are secured at Nic's, it would be neat to see what they do to Lynx.
Lobo0705
Ok, so with that last comment, Lynx is going to lunge at Grease. His hands are still cuffed behind his back, but at this point he doesn't really care - Grease has that effect on people smile.gif

Surprise rolls.

Jack is watching out for something like this, and gets to make a Perception Test to see if he gets the bonus for his surprise test:
Int + Perception + 1 Vision Enhancement +3 because he is watching out for something like this.
11d6.hits(5)=5

So he gains the +3 on his surprise test:
Reac 4 Int 3 +3 for the Perception test

10d6.hits(5)=4

So Jack is not surprised.

Next up is Amy, who because of her Adept Power, ALWAYS gets the Perception test to see if she gains the bonus to her surprise test.
Int 5 + Perception 4 +2 from adept power
11d6.hits(5)=4

So she gains the bonus to her Surprise test
Reac 6, Int 5, +3 for the Perception test
14d6.hits(5)=5

So Amy is not surprised.

Grease - I'm not sure that Grease is all that worried about Lynx attacking them, he isn't watching him intently like Jack, but as he is looking directly at Lynx, there is no reason he shouldn't get a Perception test.
7d6.hits(5)=4

So he gets the bonus,
So it is React 7 + Int 3 +3 for the Perception test
13d6.hits(5)=4

So Grease is not surprised either.

Finally, Lynx has to make the surprise test, since he is the one planning the action, he is going to get the +3 bonus for being alert
React 8 + Int 4 +3 for Alert, -2 for wounds
13d6.hits(5)=3

And Lynx is not surprised either - which means we go straight to Initiative.

Amy
4d6+11=28

Lynx (-2 for wounds)
3d6+10=24

Jack
2d6+7=15

Grease
1d6+10=14

Overkill (who is in the other room with Falcon and Gutter) WILL be surprised, as he doesn't know it is coming, so let me roll initiative for him.
2d6+9=13 and then he loses 10 from the surprise

So we have:

IP 1
Amy 28
Lynx 24
Jack 15
Grease 14
Overkill 3

Actions everyone? (including Interrupt Actions if you want to take them.)

Jack VII
Honestly, it entirely depends on what Lynx has managed to do by that point in time.

With the rules we previously discussed, the only thing those of us who aren't surprised can do before our turn is an Interrupt Action, correct? What are the distances we're dealing with here? The most obvious interrupt would be an Interception Interrupt Action, but I don't know if he has to move far enough away from anyone to get to Grease.
Chrome Head
Amy instinctively reacts by protecting her teammate. Not knowing what else she can do to help, she simply attempts to cast a F5 Clout spell aimed at Lynx, intending to knock him down (or out) before he can hurt Grease. She also yells "watch out"
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 18 2014, 12:55 AM) *
Honestly, it entirely depends on what Lynx has managed to do by that point in time.

With the rules we previously discussed, the only thing those of us who aren't surprised can do before our turn is an Interrupt Action, correct? What are the distances we're dealing with here? The most obvious interrupt would be an Interception Interrupt Action, but I don't know if he has to move far enough away from anyone to get to Grease.

Unfortunately the Intercept action requires you to be within Reach +1 meter (which is 1 meter, given that Jack has a reach of 0). While per the IC posts Amy is actually on the bed and certainly within 1 meter of Lynx, I'm not sure that Jack would have been that close.

We never discussed it, so I am willing to leave it up to you to tell me how you pictured you covering him with your gun. Are you that close to him?

Regardless, even if you ARE close enough, since Lynx doesn't get to move until 24, your Interrupt Action wouldn't happen until then, and Amy would get her spell off first, so let's resolve that.

Amy casts Clout Force 5
12d6.hits(5)=4

Amy Resists Drain
13d6.hits(5)=5

So no Drain

Lynx dodges
Reac 8 + Int 4 -2 for wounds
10d6.hits(5)=5

So he dodges the spell.

Jack - given that the room is probably about 10x12 feet, realistically how far away are you from him?
Jack VII
Honestly, since I'm covering him with a hold-out, I figured Jack was pretty close since the business end of a hold-out pistol isn't that impressive. Jack also did just tap Lynx's cyberarm with his pistol, if that gives you any indication on how close I thought he was. I also would probably be standing somewhat behind him in order to see his hands since I specifically stated I was watching for any attempts made by him to escape.

I guess the other question is whether anyone is considered in melee with him? I don't know if I want to try to shoot him if I might shoot Grease or Amy on accident.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 18 2014, 08:01 AM) *
Honestly, since I'm covering him with a hold-out, I figured Jack was pretty close since the business end of a hold-out pistol isn't that impressive. Jack also did just tap Lynx's cyberarm with his pistol, if that gives you any indication on how close I thought he was. I also would probably be standing somewhat behind him in order to see his hands since I specifically stated I was watching for any attempts made by him to escape.

I guess the other question is whether anyone is considered in melee with him? I don't know if I want to try to shoot him if I might shoot Grease or Amy on accident.

Ok - that is fine, I have no problem with you being within 1 meter of him if that is how you pictured your character smile.gif

In addition, it doesn't matter about shooting Grease or Amy, Interception only allows you to make a melee attack, not a ranged one - and by the time you get to go again, assuming that you don't knock him out with your Interception attack, he WILL be in melee with Grease, so you will then have the modifier if you shoot him. In the meantime, I would say that neither are in melee at this time.

Are you still using the Interception Interrupt? Also, do you have Unarmed slotted at this time (the last IC spoiler is back from stealing the truck, and I know you've switched things around since then).
Jack VII
I was asking about the melee thing because I was trying to figure out whether I was going to shoot him OR intercept him. Since Amy was sitting RIGHT next to him, I wasn't sure if she would have been considered to be in melee, but fair point that by the time I would normally get to go, that's irrelevant.

I believe I have Unarmed slotted. I had it slotted when I ran the guard over with the cart and the only ActiveSoft I changed out after that was Pistols for Running. Granted, I never stated I was swapping Running for Pistols when we got here, so rule that however you see fit (I should have a free action to swap the programs out before I fire, if it comes to it).

If I can do an Intercept, I think I'll give it a shot. Going to be close... Unarmed Combat (4) + Agility (5) - Off-hand (2) (since I am holding my pistol in my primary hand) + Superior Position (2) (Hopefully, considering I am punching him as he is standing up)
Lobo0705
Ok - here is your intercept:
9d6.hits(5)=3

His dodge
Reac 8 + Int 4 -2 for wounds, -1 for 2nd attack
9d6.hits(5)=2

So you successfully hit him, now he resists with just body (as he isn't wearing armor)
6d6.hits(5)=2

So he takes base 7+1 for net hits, -2 for successes or 6 boxes of stun damage, knocking him unconscious again, and adding 2 more boxes of physical damage to him.

You can write it up Jack if you would like, or I can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012