Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Lobo0705
Do you guys need me to post that whole thing, or does one of you want to take it on? (or more than one of you post pieces of it?)
Always Overkill
It would probably be a lot easier if you did the post, that way we can transition to the more critical story building scenes.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Apr 9 2014, 03:13 PM) *
It would probably be a lot easier if you did the post, that way we can transition to the more critical story building scenes.

I'm cool with this as well.
-DrZ
Chrome Head
Yup me too.

I'd like to know what are the reactions of Greeley and Chomsky to all this though. Do they have a preference in what we do? Are they in shock? Do they have a safe place to stay at? That sort of thing.
Lobo0705
IC post up.

We are now caught up with Jack in the timeline.

P.S. - here is the roll for Jacoby trying to stabilize the guy:

12d6.hits(5)=0

eek.gif

Sorry guys - IC wanted him dead...
DrZaius
When it's your time, it's your time.

OK! We've been monopolizing enough of Lobo's time; let's find out what happens with Jack!
Chrome Head
How about a retry? (see Stabilization, p. 209)
Jack VII
Bummer about that armor too...
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 9 2014, 04:26 PM) *
How about a retry? (see Stabilization, p. 209)

If he had more time, I would say yes. However, what it doesn't say (and it should) is how long that stabilization attempt takes (my feeling is it isn't instantaneous) - and I basically pushed the limits even letting you get there to begin with. (It is about 6 miles away, through side streets, plus getting him out of the car, inside, applying the first aid, etc. There just isn't enough time to try again before he takes that last box of damage.)
Lobo0705
@Jack,

I had you stop at the 2nd floor, because I'm not sure what you plan on doing next. Are you going to go down to the ground floor or try and go out a 2nd story window?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 9 2014, 04:29 PM) *
Bummer about that armor too...

Armor B/R should maybe help? Who knows.

On the retry thing: I think mechanically it's a possibility, but story wise I think we're stretching it. I got the impression that Lobo was giving us a little leeway in terms of the timing because we were rushing to the street doc; and the fact that he failed the stabilization test so completely made me not press the issue.
-DrZ

EDIT: So what lobo said smile.gif
Chrome Head
I just thought it was maybe an oversight of the rules. I'm cool with it story wise.

ETA: Might as well ask now, what's the officer wearing under his armor?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 9 2014, 03:31 PM) *
@Jack,

I had you stop at the 2nd floor, because I'm not sure what you plan on doing next. Are you going to go down to the ground floor or try and go out a 2nd story window?

I just asked her a question. If she doesn't have an answer for either, we're probably going to go out a 2nd story window.

ETA: I don't think there are rules for it, but I wonder if his Free Fall skillsoft would help with sticking a landing more safetly than normal. When I went through it, an entire week of Airborne School (if not more) was spent on how to land (feet and knees together, rolling your body over multiple points of contact, etc).
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 9 2014, 04:33 PM) *
I just thought it was maybe an oversight of the rules. I'm cool with it story wise.

ETA: Might as well ask now, what's the officer wearing under his armor?

He is wearing Lone Star marked clothing underneath (not a full uniform, as it wouldn't fit beneath the body armor - a t-shirt with the LS logo and a pair of shorts.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 9 2014, 04:34 PM) *
ETA: I don't think there are rules for it, but I wonder if his Free Fall skillsoft would help with sticking a landing more safetly than normal. When I went through it, an entire week of Airborne School (if not more) was spent on how to land (feet and knees together, rolling your body over multiple points of contact, etc).

Absolutely. Here is the description of Free Fall (bolded parts mine)

This skill covers any jump from height, including leaps
from a third-floor window
to jumps from a plane at high
altitude. If it involves any kind of attempt to slow or control
your fall,
this covers it, so it includes skydiving with
a parachute, flying a wingsuit, or descending on a line,
bungee cord, or zipline.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 9 2014, 03:42 PM) *
He is wearing Lone Star marked clothing underneath (not a full uniform, as it wouldn't fit beneath the body armor - a t-shirt with the LS logo and a pair of shorts.

Well damn, Amy killed a cop. There's a good start to a shadowrunning career.

ETA: I'll wait for Jack's substory to be over before posting IC in response to Grease.
Jack VII
Yeah, so then how does that work mechanically? LOL

I'm going to roll Perception if you want to let me know if I hear anything. I'll just modify my post so we don't junk up the IC thread, if that's cool.

Hearing Check: Perception (4) + Intuition (3) + AE (3) [Limit : 7) (10d6.hits(5)=4)

Well damn, Amy killed a cop. There's a good start to a shadowrunning career.

Well, your spirit did, but I think that's the same general thing. God, I'd hate to think about how many cameras would have been there for that... you're going to be famous!
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 9 2014, 03:45 PM) *

I'm going to roll Perception if you want to let me know if I hear anything. I'll just modify my post so we don't junk up the IC thread, if that's cool.

Hearing Check: Perception (4) + Intuition (3) + AE (3) [Limit : 7) (10d6.hits(5)=4)

Well, your spirit did, but I think that's the same general thing. God, I'd hate to think about how many cameras would have been there for that... you're going to be famous!

You hear a man and a woman talking in the hallway, but are unable to make out the conversation.

On the bright side, the only two of you who could be seen were Overkill and Amy, and both of you look extremely different from what you normally look like smile.gif

With Free Fall, for right now let's say you could roll a Body+Free Fall test and each hit allows you to roll an additional die on your Damage Resistance test.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 9 2014, 04:45 PM) *

Or cameras controlled by your team, who were planning on giving the footage to a lonestar officer..
-DrZ
Lobo0705
Will be offline for a couple of hours - back on later tonight smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 9 2014, 03:49 PM) *
With Free Fall, for right now let's say you could roll a Body+Free Fall test and each hit allows you to roll an additional die on your Damage Resistance test.

Cool, that works for me.

Also: IC post updated and Doc Grizz's office added to the game map.
Lobo0705
So, once you get to this in game, I've made the rolls, and Jacoby was able to heal 2 boxes from Grease, 3 boxes from Amy, and 1 box from Greeley.

That should take about 10 minutes or so. Up to Chrome as to whether or not to cast Heal on the characters now or wait until later.
Jack VII
P.S. Nice Princess Bride reference.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 9 2014, 07:22 PM) *
P.S. Nice Princess Bride reference.

smile.gif

ETA - So - where to next?
Chrome Head
I should probably wait until Amy's wound modifier decreases (after resting a bit and healing herself first) before healing us, for maximum effect. Now, if you're not very injured and don't have too much cyberware, it's probably no big deal. She'll want to maximize her own chances of recovery though and will wait when it comes to her. The spell has a low drain value so she wouldn't mind helping anybody who asks her right now if they prefer getting better immediately. I suspect that Greeley will probably want that as we're not sure when I'll see her again.

ETA: All her stun damage is from drain and won't be affected by a stim patch, correct?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 9 2014, 06:05 PM) *
ETA - So - where to next?

Nic's is getting crowded. I guess I'll need to put her up in a motel. Somewhere hopefully cheap, relatively comfortable, and under my alias.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 9 2014, 10:27 PM) *
I should probably wait until Amy's wound modifier decreases (after resting a bit and healing herself first) before healing us, for maximum effect. Now, if you're not very injured and don't have too much cyberware, it's probably no big deal. She'll want to maximize her own chances of recovery though and will wait when it comes to her. The spell has a low drain value so she wouldn't mind helping anybody who asks her right now if they prefer getting better immediately. I suspect that Greeley will probably want that as we're not sure when I'll see her again.

ETA: All her stun damage is from drain and won't be affected by a stim patch, correct?

Correct.

When you are ready, I'll make a Body+Willpower test taking one hour. Each hit on the test reduces one box of stun.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 9 2014, 10:44 PM) *
Nic's is getting crowded. I guess I'll need to put her up in a motel. Somewhere hopefully cheap, relatively comfortable, and under my alias.

Motel 6?
Jack VII
I had thought about it. It's poor tradecraft to use the same location as where their Johnson has set up meets, but Jack might not care. It would work for a stop-gap. Plus he'd probably plan to move her every few days anyway. Motel 6 will work for the first few nights.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 9 2014, 10:54 PM) *
Correct.

When you are ready, I'll make a Body+Willpower test taking one hour. Each hit on the test reduces one box of stun.

We have time on our hands now? If so, sure. That'll get rid of at least one box of stun, probably all of it really. I can put the spirit on astral surveillance (i.e. wake me up if a threat shows up).
Lobo0705
@Chrome,

Whether or not you have time is up to your characters - not sure what you want to do at this point. The 3 first aid tests that Jacoby did technically took a total of 24 seconds (which is just stupid, but those are the rules for first aid) but I'm going to increase that to 30 minutes (i.e. 10 minutes per character) just so as not to destroy the verisimilitude of the story.

No one as of yet has called Jack - OOC he is going to the Motel 6, which is not that far from Jacoby's.

On another topic, medical costs. I'm thinking that the medical costs should be based on the number of boxes you were at when the first aid test was attempted (after all, it requires more work to try and heal a patient almost dead as opposed to one who is just scratched).

Medical costs will be:

1-3 boxes: 50 nuyen.gif
4-6 boxes: 150 nuyen.gif
7-9 boxes: 250 nuyen.gif
Over 9 boxes: 400 nuyen.gif

So, Jacoby would have charged Grease and Greeley 150 nuyen.gif, and Amy 250 nuyen.gif - when we get to it in character, Greeley is going to pay for your treatment as well as yours.

For now, you guys can just post IC, and ask me questions OOC as needed.

P.S. Run and Gun is in the dropbox smile.gif
Always Overkill
Drave will make contact with Jack, and bring up our next move IC- (Which I will bring up to the whole crew once they are finished getting stitched up and Jack has arrived. No point in rehashing things once Jack gets there.)
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 10 2014, 05:47 AM) *
P.S. Run and Gun is in the dropbox smile.gif

Ugh, I am so busy today. Must resist... couldn't. I see they stuck with the insane 10% of the original value for cost of repair that Aaron had mentioned. Unless we're going to keep the house rule, it's probably cheaper to just buy a new Rhex than to repair him.

ETA: Once Overkill posts, I am going to post Jack dropping Honeypot off at the Motel 6 and reviewing/responding to Overkill's message.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 10 2014, 07:03 AM) *
I see they stuck with the insane 10% of the original value for cost of repair that Aaron had mentioned. Unless we're going to keep the house rule, it's probably cheaper to just buy a new Rhex than to repair him.

I had a car totaled not too long ago. It was a similar situation. I'll have to read it to see if it makes sense.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Apr 10 2014, 09:01 AM) *
I had a car totaled not too long ago. It was a similar situation. I'll have to read it to see if it makes sense.

-DrZ

All it says is that materials cost 10% of the value of the item (basically anything other than a weapon, which as its own special B/R rules), plus labor.

Labor costs:

A skilled mechanic will charge (Skill Rating x number of hours for repair
x 10) nuyen plus the cost of materials for the work.

So - to fix Rhex per their rules, if you did it yourself, would cost you 4,000 nuyen.gif

To have someone else fix it for you would costs 4,000 nuyen.gif PLUS the time it takes to fix it - i.e. 18 hits on a test that takes 30 minutes per roll.

If we assume Skill of 6, with a total pool of 12 dice, that means he needs about 5 tests to finish the work, so 2.5 hours - which would be an additional 150 nuyen.gif

Mind you, they STILL don't clarify how long the test should take - so I just used the numbers from our system for the length of time to repair.

I say we just use our system, as otherwise after about 3 combats you will be broke with no drones.

I find it baffling that they say that the labor is the expensive part...
Jack VII
I work in the automotive industry (in particular, parts and service management & analysis). It's kind of hard to abstract vehicle damage. You can get into a fairly minor wreck, but if the airbags deploy, it very well could total out the car due to their expense. Lots of bullets going through the car may be relatively meaningless since most body shops don't repair things much anymore (other than very minor dents), they typically replace them panels at a time.

Just for example, a Ford Americar has 18 boxes of damage, 11 Body, 6 Armor. An AK-97 that hits with one net success does 11P, with a -2 AP. The car is averaging five net hits in resistance, so it takes (on average) 6 boxes of damage from each bullet from an AK. Better yet, each shot from an AK-97 that hits requires (on average), 9,600 nuyen.gif to repair in parts alone.
Lobo0705
Can I just say I love how Grease gets to have these conversations with the team that begin with, "I have a confession to make..."

This is the second one in like 72 hours wink.gif

As an aside, Grease, I'm think that losing Rhex and being dumped like that might trigger the need for Novacoke - not sure though, what is your take on it?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 10 2014, 09:01 AM) *
Can I just say I love how Grease gets to have these conversations with the team that begin with, "I have a confession to make..."

This is the second one in like 72 hours wink.gif

As an aside, Grease, I'm think that losing Rhex and being dumped like that might trigger the need for Novacoke - not sure though, what is your take on it?

This is tricky.

Mechanically, I'd like nothing to do with the stuff smile.gif

But, he's got to meet with his cop contact tonight, and he's not sure if he's been sold out or not. He's injured, and is feeling sluggish. I think he knows he should stay off, but that an addiction test before the meeting (to see if he does it or not) is warranted. I'm not sure if it should be modified by his wounds though (but I'd be willing to hear an argument either way).

-DrZ

Let me put it this way: As a player, I am never going to want to make that check, so I would like it if you as the GM made suggestions like this, as you are controlling the negative quality, and we resolved in appropriately. I'm willing to make a check whenever you ask for it, in other words.
Jack VII
Although Grease's addiction is to Novacoke, I believe he has some other drugs on him that might be more appropriate given his situation. Bliss or something similar to an opiate might make more sense.

ETA: I posted IC, taking me Jack and Honeypot to the Motel 6 and starting an interaction with the desk clerk. Not sure if it's the same guy in the Contacts section, so I didn't flesh out that part.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 10 2014, 09:15 AM) *
Although Grease's addiction is to Novacoke, I believe he has some other drugs on him that might be more appropriate given his situation. Bliss or something similar to an opiate might make more sense.

ETA: I posted IC, taking me Jack and Honeypot to the Motel 6 and starting an interaction with the desk clerk. Not sure if it's the same guy in the Contacts section, so I didn't flesh out that part.

I think he's got some cram on him; he may take a popper of that if he thinks things are going poorly.
-DrZ
Lobo0705
Ok - no problem smile.gif

The reason I asked is that I think we need to strike a nice balance between using the quality and ruining your character. I don't want to be like, "Hey, you stubbed your toe, make a test." But I think that in this case it might warrant one.

What I'm saying is I don't want to be pushy, which is why I asked you if you thought it would be appropriate smile.gif

So, in this case, even though Novacoke is psychologically and physically addicting, you haven't hit the physical need to have the drug again, this is more of a psychological issue. Thus, instead of having to make two withdrawal tests, you'll only need to make one. I also don't think that the wound modifiers should apply.

So, Logic + Willpower, needing 2 hits (Novacoke has a threshold of 2)
5d6.hits(5)=1

Ok, so, this means that you have withdrawal symptoms, and I'm going to halve the normal penalty (since you didn't go through the normal waiting period before you hit withdrawal.) So, basically until you take a hit of Novacoke, you will be at -2 dice pool penalty for all Mental Attribute based tests.

Does that sound reasonable?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 10 2014, 09:37 AM) *
Ok - no problem smile.gif

The reason I asked is that I think we need to strike a nice balance between using the quality and ruining your character. I don't want to be like, "Hey, you stubbed your toe, make a test." But I think that in this case it might warrant one.

What I'm saying is I don't want to be pushy, which is why I asked you if you thought it would be appropriate smile.gif

So, in this case, even though Novacoke is psychologically and physically addicting, you haven't hit the physical need to have the drug again, this is more of a psychological issue. Thus, instead of having to make two withdrawal tests, you'll only need to make one. I also don't think that the wound modifiers should apply.

So, Logic + Willpower, needing 2 hits (Novacoke has a threshold of 2)
5d6.hits(5)=1

Ok, so, this means that you have withdrawal symptoms, and I'm going to halve the normal penalty (since you didn't go through the normal waiting period before you hit withdrawal.) So, basically until you take a hit of Novacoke, you will be at -2 dice pool penalty for all Mental Attribute based tests.

Does that sound reasonable?

Completely. He's got a MASSIVE headache, and Novacoke would clear it up RIGHT quick. he may sneak some before their meet with his contact so he can "be on his best game".

-DrZ

ETA: If I didn't want to have these type of conversations, I would have just bought novacoke at character creation, and lost the 10 BP (or whatever I got). Since I'm already pretty far into an addiction, I think it's reasonable to assume that he's got a problem that's bad enough that he's thinking about it on a fairly regular basis.

ETA2: He will also ask Amy to heal him, if he sees that she's healing Greeley.
Jack VII
OK, finally replied to Overkill. I'll hold off for now as I imagine y'all are going to have a conversation about me that needs to be resolved before anyone sends a response.
Lobo0705
As a quick note about the healing spell, if Amy wants to heal people before she rests from her fatigue, that is fine, we can do that now. If she wants to wait until after, that is 1 hour of game time we need to kill, and I'm thinking that we should get the team back together before we jump that far forward.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 10 2014, 10:10 AM) *
As a quick note about the healing spell, if Amy wants to heal people before she rests from her fatigue, that is fine, we can do that now. If she wants to wait until after, that is 1 hour of game time we need to kill, and I'm thinking that we should get the team back together before we jump that far forward.

If there is still a team... dunh, dunh, DUNH!!!
Chrome Head
We'll get to magical healing in due time. For now, I'm just gonna respond IC to what Grease is saying. It's an important part of the story.

I can tell you right now that she won't wait to heal Greeley, and she won't sleep at the doctor's office..

When Grease asks, she'll accept but also offer to help after she's rested and gotten better herself as she will be better able to control her magic.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 10 2014, 11:44 AM) *
I can tell you right now that she won't wait to heal Greeley, and she won't sleep at the doctor's office..

Go ahead and cast your Heal Spell - Greeley has 4 boxes of damage left.
Chrome Head
If I understand correctly, she needs 4 successes so F4 would be enough. The force doesn't change much anyway, since force 6 would have the same drain value.

Spellcasting 6 + Magic 6 + Mentor Bonus 2 - Wound mod 2 = 12 dice to cast, minus 1 per essence lost to 'wares (take dice off as relevant).

12d6.hits(5)=1

That didn't help much. This is at the level of failing to get 3 successes on 18 dice earlier.. dang. Drain 2S now

13d6.hits(5)=5

No drain. She'll clear the signature just after she completes this and the spell becomes permanent.
Lobo0705
You actually were -3 dice for wounds (you haven't rested yet, so you are still at -1 for the stun damage) - but it didn't matter, since the one hit you did roll was far enough to the left so as not to come off.

Should we assume your character (understandably upset with Grease) goes into the other room where Chomsky, Greeley, and Jacoby are do heal them while waiting for Jack to respond?
DrZaius
Long, paranoid IC post is up smile.gif

I unfortunately have to leave in a little bit, and will be out of pocket for most of tomorrow. I may be able to post later tonight.

-DrZ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012