Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Lobo0705
I think that I'm going to keep Overkill mostly out of the discussion as to what you should and shouldn't do, since he is now a GM NPC.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 4 2014, 09:01 AM) *
I think that I'm going to keep Overkill mostly out of the discussion as to what you should and shouldn't do, since he is now a GM NPC.

Figured as much. Feel free to interject in case we're missing anything blindingly obvious. nyahnyah.gif

ETA: I'm going to wait for Chrome to offer Amy's input before responding.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 4 2014, 10:09 AM) *
Figured as much. Feel free to interject in case we're missing anything blindingly obvious. nyahnyah.gif

ETA: I'm going to wait for Chrome to offer Amy's input before responding.

Of course smile.gif

You guys basically have free RP until you tell me you are done, at which point Ramirez will arrive.
Chrome Head
Once inside the motel room and it is checked for bugs, Amy summons a F4 spirit of Beast. I don't have my book with me right now, so I'm not sure what optional powers to choose from, and I'll let you (or fate) decide for me (I don't think it matter that much which optional power I get).
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 4 2014, 01:14 PM) *
Once inside the motel room and it is checked for bugs, Amy summons a F4 spirit of Beast. I don't have my book with me right now, so I'm not sure what optional powers to choose from, and I'll let you (or fate) decide for me (I don't think it matter that much which optional power I get).

Summoning the Spirit
12d6.hits(5)=5 - reduced to 4 by limit

Spirit Resists
4d6.hits(5)=0

Amy resists Drain (minimum 2DV)
13d6.hits(5)=4 - no drain

4 successes

Optional Powers:

Concealment, Confusion, Guard, Natural
Weapon (Drain Value = Force Physical
damage, AP —), Noxious Breath, Search,
Venom

You can pick whichever one you want.
Jack VII
IIRC, from playing my old shaman:

Concelment: We're all familiar with this one, I think
Confusion: Single Target, Magic + Willpower vs. Willpower + Logic, net hits apply a negative dice pool penalty to just about everything
Guard: Protects against glitches and natural accidents up to Force number of people.
Natural Weapon: Kind of garbage for a Beast Spirit since their Strength is greater than their Force.
Noxious Breath: Multi-Target, but requires an attack roll and resistance roll. If it hits and causes damage, it's pretty good.
Search: I think we're all familiar with that one as well.
Venom: Also not spectacular. Also not entirely sure how this is applied. I guess this requires a successful attack action.
Jack VII
I'm going to update my gear list with the first post at the hotel, so we know what all I have.
DrZaius
I'm good to transition to the Johnson showing up, btw.
-DrZ
Chrome Head
Gonna make a quick post IC and I'll be good to transition too.

Let's go for search for the optional power, maybe we'd like to use that later in the evening.
Jack VII
I like how with the last two IC posts, we're basically doing what any group of people in the 2010s would do in a situation like this: play with our cellphones.
Chrome Head
The difference is that the cell phone in shadowrun allows you to run your entire life, much like it is becoming irl. I think we'll have the equivalent of commlinks and AR much sooner than Shadowrun predicts smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 4 2014, 03:36 PM) *
The difference is that the cell phone in shadowrun allows you to run your entire life, much like it is becoming irl. I think we'll have the equivalent of commlinks and AR much sooner than Shadowrun predicts smile.gif

I mean, if you look at the features of a commlink, it's basically an iPhone with a few technologies we don't quite have yet (trid, credsticks, etc).
Even the most basic of them includes AR Matrix browsing capability, multiple telephone and radio modes of real-time talk and text, music players, micro trid-projectors, touchscreen displays, built in high-resolution digital video and still image cameras, image/text and RFID tag scanners, built-in GPS guidance systems, chip players, credstick readers, retractable earbuds, voice-access dialing, text-to-speech and speech-to-text technologies, and a shock
and water resistant case.

We pretty much already have AR, it just isn't quite as advanced. I have an AR application for the downtown area of the city I live in on my phone. I can hold it up and it will show AROs of bars, restaurants, restrooms, ATMs, and other stuff that is geolocated overlayed in the camera display. If I dropped the bones for Google Glass, I think I could actually get it to display there.
Chrome Head
Totally agree. And add things like second life for AR chatrooms, and this thing (which can seemingly be accomplished also using cardboard) for AR entertainment and we're just missing the full day to day integration and innocuity...
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 4 2014, 03:07 PM) *
Totally agree. And add things like second life for AR chatrooms, and this thing (which can seemingly be accomplished also using cardboard) for AR entertainment...

Yeah Oculus Rift is getting a lot of traction. The guys that make EVE Online (an incredibly time-consuming, backstabbing, yet generally hilarious game) are making a pretty cool VR space combat simulator called Valkyrie.
Jack VII
@Lobo: Incidentally, did I find any decent Goblin Rock shows coming up? I was serious about hanging out with Jimmy at an upcoming show. I would send him a message if I found a good show in an area to which I have access.

Oh yeah, I don't remember if we ever established the day of the week. According to the Future Day of the Week Calculator I found, August 2nd, 2075 is a Friday.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 5 2014, 08:25 AM) *
@Lobo: Incidentally, did I find any decent Goblin Rock shows coming up? I was serious about hanging out with Jimmy at an upcoming show. I would send him a message if I found a good show in an area to which I have access.

Oh yeah, I don't remember if we ever established the day of the week. According to the Future Day of the Week Calculator I found, August 2nd, 2075 is a Friday.

Oh - didn't realize you were serious about that smile.gif

Nago is in concert next week. They've been around since the late 60's, hitting it big in '72 with their single, "Gun in My Pocket and Happy to See Ya". They are playing in the Hub on Friday and Saturday night.

Not sure if we established a day of the week either, but for now, today being Friday is fine smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 5 2014, 08:44 AM) *
Oh - didn't realize you were serious about that smile.gif

Yeah sorry for not clarifying that better, I just feel like I should be doing something to develop Jimmy as a contact. Nic and Honeypot are both fairly well fleshed out so far, I feel.

QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 5 2014, 08:44 AM) *
Nago is in concert next week. They've been around since the late 60's, hitting it big in '72 with their single, "Gun in My Pocket and Happy to See Ya". They are playing in the Hub on Friday and Saturday night.

Cool, I'll be sending Jimmy a text shortly, probably PM.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 5 2014, 09:49 AM) *
Yeah sorry for not clarifying that better, I just feel like I should be doing something to develop Jimmy as a contact. Nic and Honeypot are both fairly well fleshed out so far, I feel.

No worries smile.gif

Speaking of which, Honeypot is in this motel somewhere, was it your plan to visit her after the meet with Ramirez, or are you just going to stay away from her until Lynx and crew are gone (one way or the other).
Jack VII
I was planning on visiting with her after the meeting to make sure she's doing okay.
DrZaius
Got a lot going on; I will be sure to put up a big post later this afternoon.

Thanks,
-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Sep 5 2014, 11:55 AM) *
Got a lot going on; I will be sure to put up a big post later this afternoon.

Thanks,
-DrZ

No worries - totally understand.

@Chrome - Ramirez seems calm - perhaps a little anxious, but nothing that would be unexpected.
DrZaius
Big 'ole IC post is up.

-DrZ
Jack VII
I haven't even read it but I'm kind of dreading it. biggrin.gif

ETA: I haven't gotten very far in it, but are you purposely hiding some things (I mean, beyond the obvious)? For instance, you mentioned that Officer Mitchell's GF disappeared. That's not the case, we know that she, at least as of a few days ago, was safe in the CAS but lawyered up. Not sure if Grease is intentionally deceiving or if it is imperfect recall (not a big deal, this info is months old OOC).

ETA: Also, agree with Chrome below, great job on that post. P.S. Is this the first time we admitted being part of the rally situation? I don't recall.
Chrome Head
Good job on that post.

He's hiding the whole Stinger thing with a thick layer of lying to explain how we got evidence at his house. And he's not saying anything about Brown or the Mystery Johnson. The rest is just smoothed out a little here and there. That's all I noticed.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 5 2014, 04:45 PM) *
I haven't even read it but I'm kind of dreading it. biggrin.gif

ETA: I haven't gotten very far in it, but are you purposely hiding some things (I mean, beyond the obvious)? For instance, you mentioned that Officer Mitchell's GF disappeared. That's not the case, we know that she, at least as of a few days ago, was safe in the CAS but lawyered up. Not sure if Grease is intentionally deceiving or if it is imperfect recall (not a big deal, this info is months old OOC).

ETA: Also, agree with Chrome below, great job on that post. P.S. Is this the first time we admitted being part of the rally situation? I don't recall.

That was imperfect recall. I can't keep my lies straight when I try!

per the Stinger thing; it's not NOT true. It's just mostly untrue. And misrepresentation. Plus he told the truth about everything else, why would he lie here? Etc. cyber.gif
Jack VII
Oh no, I totally picked up on the Stinger thing being a misrepresentation. We did ultimately get the evidence by searching his house, he just happened to be there and did the searching for us. I was more looking at the initial deal: there is a woman who is missing who is probably dead (Mary Jane Kelly), there is also someone who is probably dead in an apartment overlooking the same kill site where Kelly was involved (now that I think about it, they went into a lot of effort to mess with that site), and there is also a lawyered-up girlfriend somewhere, I just wasn't sure whether it was intentional obfuscation or just imperfect recall. IC, Jack won't say much about it right now since it doesn't so much to move the job forward.
Jack VII
P.S. Joy of joys, I am working tomorrow as well. So if there does happen to be any activity, I will be happy to respond!
Chrome Head
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Sep 5 2014, 05:47 PM) *
per the Stinger thing; it's not NOT true. It's just mostly untrue. And misrepresentation. Plus he told the truth about everything else, why would he lie here? Etc. cyber.gif

Hehe fair enough smile.gif
Lobo0705
Excellent post Dr. Zaius smile.gif

btw, I love that Grease thinks Ramirez is on the edge of his seat after he says that Truck attacked Jack and tried to kill him - when Jack is in the room talking to Ramirez, so clearly he survived.

Totally in character for Grease - after all, he is speaking, shouldn't everyone be on the edge of their seat? smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 6 2014, 08:47 AM) *
btw, I love that Grease thinks Ramirez is on the edge of his seat after he says that Truck attacked Jack and tried to kill him - when Jack is in the room talking to Ramirez, so clearly he survived.

I thought that was pretty hilarious too. Grease has a gift for the melodramatic.

This should be fun given Stinger's disposition.
DrZaius
Apologies for the no-show yesterday; traveling all day. Will get something up this morning.

ETA: Post is up. @Lobo: Did you mean to name-drop Argent, or was that in error? I guess I'm asking if I should respond IC, since I don't think I mentioned him by name, and I don't remember saying his name the last time we met Ramirez.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Sep 9 2014, 08:00 AM) *
Apologies for the no-show yesterday; traveling all day. Will get something up this morning.

ETA: Post is up. @Lobo: Did you mean to name-drop Argent, or was that in error? I guess I'm asking if I should respond IC, since I don't think I mentioned him by name, and I don't remember saying his name the last time we met Ramirez.

No worries - work is crazy for me today frown.gif

I did not name drop Argent per se - if you look at the files you prepared for the Johnson (it is in the Dropbox) - the ones you gave him on the datachip back when you met him the last time in your taxi - you had Argent's name in there.

I will do my best to post in IC during the day - it might have to wait until later this evening.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 9 2014, 12:13 PM) *
No worries - work is crazy for me today frown.gif

I did not name drop Argent per se - if you look at the files you prepared for the Johnson (it is in the Dropbox) - the ones you gave him on the datachip back when you met him the last time in your taxi - you had Argent's name in there.

I will do my best to post in IC during the day - it might have to wait until later this evening.

Ok- just checking that he wasn't checking up on stuff on his own. I have a feeling we may have done it last time, but I couldn't remember. IC days are much longer than RL days smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 9 2014, 10:13 AM) *

The one we gave to Ramirez is entitled "File for Mr. Johnson" and does not contain Argent's name (at least it shouldn't). The other file is for our use.

ETA: Here is a link to the post I made referencing this a long time ago and was why I created the separate file.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 9 2014, 11:17 AM) *
The one we gave to Ramirez is entitled "File for Mr. Johnson" and does not contain Argent's name (at least it shouldn't). The other file is for our use.

ETA: Here is a link to the post I made referencing this a long time ago and was why I created the separate file.

Jack - good looking out - sorry, I looked at the wrong file - I'll fix my post - but basically Ramirez is still interested in having Argent and Honeypot testifying - he just won't use their names.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 9 2014, 10:48 AM) *
Jack - good looking out - sorry, I looked at the wrong file - I'll fix my post - but basically Ramirez is still interested in having Argent and Honeypot testifying - he just won't use their names.

No problem man. Hell, that post was from MARCH. Jeez.

Just leaving a quick note to myself...
[ Spoiler ]
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 9 2014, 12:52 PM) *
No problem man. Hell, that post was from MARCH. Jeez.

Now I know why most PbP's fail.

We have a group of incredibly dedicated players (I really could not have asked more from you guys, and I appreciate you have been so consistent with playing) and the game is still months long. Imagine how long this would be if we were posting once or twice a week? eek.gif
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 9 2014, 01:58 PM) *
Now I know why most PbP's fail.

We have a group of incredibly dedicated players (I really could not have asked more from you guys, and I appreciate you have been so consistent with playing) and the game is still months long. Imagine how long this would be if we were posting once or twice a week? eek.gif

To be fair, this is in my mind, an especially long and somewhat convoluted run, in that there are multiple squishy objectives, not a clear one like get the data, kidnap this girl, transport this box from A to B.

It's been a lot of fun though, and it keeps us at the edge of our seats. Well as much as is possible for a game that takes the better of a year to play through nyahnyah.gif
Jack VII
Other than Jack's invited response concerning Honeypot, he will defer to Grease as the face.

OOC, I think we can still try to nab Lynx, Gutter, and Falcon, which will hopefully allow us to at least get an ID on the Johnson. That should be good enough for 20.5K each (factoring in the advance), maybe less since Stinger isn't going to be part of the equation.
Jack VII
@Lobo: Just so I understand this OOC... amounts below are PER Runner, disregarding advance for now.

ID the Killers: 7500 nuyen.gif - Complete
Capture the Killers: 7500 nuyen.gif - Incomplete, may get nothing or a reduction if we don't turn up with Stinger
ID the Conspirators: 7500 nuyen.gif - Partially complete, we could take 3750 nuyen.gif and walk if we wanted for our efforts on Bradshere. Have to positively identify Mr, Johnson or somehow definitively prove he doesn't exist (LOL) to get the rest.
Capture the Conspirators: 7500 nuyen.gif - Incomplete, this is where I am getting a little confused. Is Ramirez saying that if we capture Mr. Johnson we get the full payout, even if we don't physically roll-up Bradshere as well? If we don't get Mr. Johnson, we don't get anything? I guess I am asking is if, in Ramirez's opinion, Bradshere isn't really part of this equation and we don't really need to worry about capturing him anymore.

Thanks!
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 10 2014, 12:12 PM) *
ID the Killers: 7500 nuyen.gif - Complete

Correct.

Capture the Killers: 7500 nuyen.gif - Incomplete, may get nothing or a reduction if we don't turn up with Stinger

Correct

ID the Conspirators: 7500 nuyen.gif - Partially complete, we could take 3750 nuyen.gif and walk if we wanted for our efforts on Bradshere. Have to positively identify Mr, Johnson or somehow definitively prove he doesn't exist (LOL) to get the rest.

Correct

Capture the Conspirators: 7500 nuyen.gif - Incomplete, this is where I am getting a little confused. Is Ramirez saying that if we capture Mr. Johnson we get the full payout, even if we don't physically roll-up Bradshere as well? If we don't get Mr. Johnson, we don't get anything? I guess I am asking is if, in Ramirez's opinion, Bradshere isn't really part of this equation and we don't really need to worry about capturing him anymore.

I see the confusion on the last one. Basically, yes - don't worry about capturing Bradshere - if you get the Johnson you'll get the full 7500.

Does that make sense?
Jack VII
Yup, thanks for the clarification.

I'm good with figuring out a plan to snatch Lynx and crew. Do we want to ask Ramirez if he has any suggestions on how to tip off the ZDF to take custody of them? I am imagining them unconscious, tied up together, with a note and datachip safety pinned to their clothing. I think the best we can do is identify the Johnson by putting the screws to Lynx/some evidence related to Lynx, I seriously doubt we can roll him up, particularly if he only meets with Lynx in an area of the FRZ denied to us (particularly since that is going to pretty much exclude our magic support).
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 10 2014, 01:31 PM) *
Yup, thanks for the clarification.

I'm good with figuring out a plan to snatch Lynx and crew. Do we want to ask Ramirez if he has any suggestions on how to tip off the ZDF to take custody of them? I am imagining them unconscious, tied up together, with a note and datachip safety pinned to their clothing. I think the best we can do is identify the Johnson by putting the screws to Lynx/some evidence related to Lynx, I seriously doubt we can roll him up, particularly if he only meets with Lynx in an area of the FRZ denied to us (particularly since that is going to pretty much exclude our magic support).

I think it's a good idea to get his input. If you want to take the reigns, you can post Grease asking, "Sounds fair. Anyone else have anything?"

Chrome Head
I don't have anything to add in the meeting right now.

About crossing borders, I bet there are smugglers specialized in human trafficking (like Coyotes). This is probably expensive and possibly time-consuming, but if we have a good reason to go to another zone, and we know when we want to do it and have a plan, then we can make this work. A side benefit will be to be able to bring any weapon we want across the border. We can ask our fixer about this.

So, we might need an additional advance. I think we're in a good position to negotiate for it.
DrZaius
I appreciate the liberty you took with my suggestion, Jack cyber.gif
Jack VII
I like to think of my posts as Jack and/or a relative telling the tale of their adventure. There is a certain amount of embellishment, influenced by the storyteller. biggrin.gif
Jack VII
OK, so to kind of roll up everything we know/suspect about the conspiracy:

Someone (probably an Aztechnology division) outside of the UCAS zone (probably in the Sioux sector) has created a drug called Crimson Fire. Pretty appropriate for the Azzies since they started as a drug cartel long, long ago. They have been smuggling it into the UCAS sector to be sold by their old (probable) confederates, the Los Mags, who formerly operated in the Aztechnology sector when there was an Aztechnology sector. Their drug ring was running into some of Lone Star's best and brightest and Aztechnology decided they needed those lights to be dimmed. The Azzies reach out to Lynx to have him knock off the problem cops identified by the Los Mags. Somehow (now that I think about it, this might be a significant knowledge gap) the Azzies or Lynx manage to get Bradshere to rat on the cops and provide Lynx with intel on who and where to hit. So as to avoid a lot of scrutiny, the investigations into the dead police officers is sidelined by Bradshere, probably with an assist by Brown.

For the task at hand, it might be helpful to know why Bradshere is working with Lynx/the Azzies. We know he didn't like one of the guys involved. In fact, that officer had already been moved away from the smuggling beat and reassigned rather far away. But that really only explains that guy. It also could just be a money thing, but I don't recall Grease ever giving Bradhsere money (I may not be recollecting that properly). So I wonder what kind of leverage they have on him and Brown and if we could use it to our advantage...
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 11 2014, 01:50 PM) *
It also could just be a money thing, but I don't recall Grease ever giving Bradhsere money (I may not be recollecting that properly). So I wonder what kind of leverage they have on him and Brown and if we could use it to our advantage...

An interesting Freudian slip there cyber.gif

Maybe the Johnson has leverage over Bradshere. It wouldn't be crazy for a vice cop to make money on the side.

Also, per the officer he had transferred out- that could also be seen as him trying to save him, or at least avoid killing him. The wife seemed like she knew something; it may be worthwhile trying to talk to her again.
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Sep 11 2014, 01:01 PM) *
An interesting Freudian slip there cyber.gif

LOL, I've honestly been doing that all the time over the last few days with people's handles for some reason. Ask Lobo, I keep swapping, you, Lynx, and Stinger together for some reason.

Maybe the Johnson has leverage over Bradshere. It wouldn't be crazy for a vice cop to make money on the side.

Very well could be. When Stinger told us about the names, it definitely didn't sound like it was coming from Lynx. So either from the LMs or the Johnson, who might as well be one and the same for our purposes at the moment.

Also, per the officer he had transferred out- that could also be seen as him trying to save him, or at least avoid killing him. The wife seemed like she knew something; it may be worthwhile trying to talk to her again.

After Overkill's deal with the kid that got kidnapped and you and me supposedly being a couple, I don't know if we really have any way of getting to her again. I didn't really get that feeling to be honest. It felt like he was trying to kill his career by moving him to a dead-end assignment. But who knows...

ETA: Just for reference, here is the post to the information in the case files we recovered from Manuel's house. It sounds like Bradshere might have been co-opted once he got promoted. Maybe Brown was the dirty one to begin with and leaned on Bradshere once he was promoted (possibly a "do what I say if you want to keep that rank" kind of deal). Also, I mis-remembered and Manuel requested his own transfer.
Lobo0705
Ok - so the two plans I've seen put forth are either:

1) Find Bradshere, hack his commlink, and spoof a message to Lynx telling him to meet

a) A corollary to this might be to simply find Bradshere and tail him until his next meet with Lynx, but who knows how long that will be.

2) Somehow get a message to Lynx about your location, and set a trap for him.

If there are any other plans, they should be discussed, or if one of these two is the way to go, just let me know if there is anything you need from me smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012