Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
adamu
MK Ultra

Hope finals are going well.

What sourcebook can I read about 'Equity' in?

One point John and his staff were very surprised by - there were absolutely no protesters outside the building where the negotiations are being held. There have always been some outside past negotiations.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

You can find info on Equety in Loos Alliances pp. 21 (AFAIK they where never mentioned before or after).
adamu
MK Ultra

Thanks!

Indexes would be nice in some of these books....
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (adamu)
Ankle Biter

Not a glitch, but sure as heck wasn't a success. You are startled and flustered. That con test was pretty harsh, too, especially after I subtract dice for being so flustered.
Let's say that you do get him out of the hall and you do get the gun in his face, but it goes clumsily, and you barely get the drop on him.

Anyway, why am I not describing this? Dude, your description of the events and your intentions was so detailed, I am getting the feeling you'd rather write it yourself, which is fine with me.

When you get to the 'mention his connections' thing you referred to, yeah, he will say that he is so sorry, but he IS involved in something, something bigger than himself or her or even the perfect union that the two of you have together. A cause worth dying for. He's not a terrorist, he's trying to save people, billions of people. He's trying to save them from his own folly.

There's plenty of room in this world for cynicism/skepticism regarding the real motives of people that blow up museums full of people, but near as Electra can tell, he really is sincere, in a shallow, unthinking kind of way.

Err, the thing is that I am used to having NPC's run fully by the GM, so I was not going to put words in Trevors mouth, but by the same token, Electra would not give Trevor the chance to soliloquise.

I mean if I was writing Trevor myself it would be 'whoops, they mind controlled me let's get out of here, I must prove my innocence.' (I really liked that NPC biggrin.gif )

So long as I can get the gist of where Trevor is going I can do this meeting myself, but understand I was not trying to write his part in this, just clarify Electra's intentions, and make sure that there was not, for example, people about to mug me in the hall once I stepped outside, somebody to the side of the door that I could not see, or other factors that may have prevented Electra from following her plan.

I would much prefer to hear trevor's part from yourself, but please interdisperse it with Electra interrupting with questions.

I'm Shortly to post Electras reaction up to where she has the gun on Trevor, take if from there, maestro.
Ankle Biter
First Wave - Electra

Addendum.

I was getting into Electra's character, and suddenly had a change of heart in how she was going to run this sequence. She really wanted to do the above post, but She has more or less broken down with the stress and will instead leave all of that outside for now, she just needs the touch of her man.

I don't think she's going to make it frown.gif

Feel free to have Trevor solliloquise, or just fast forward to next morning, with them both in bed...
adamu
Ankle Biter

More awesome posts. I have no problem writing it up myself - just wanted you to have the chance if you wanted it. And you definitely made the most of what you did post. Nice.

I think you have made your intentions crystal enough for me to take it a little ways now.

Look for it sometime on my Monday.

Which leads me to....

Everyone

As I am sure you have all noticed, the regular rotation thing is pretty much out the window.
Partly because about half of you are interacting with other PCs now - the one-on-one stories are dying out rapidly (on purpose).
Also, I am definitely prioritizing responses to threads that have to get to a certain point before I can bring a waiting character into play. Sorry to be so insistent on making the entrances fairly believable and organic. I know it sidelines people, and I am doing my best to hurry.
Another simple reason, as with Ankle Biter here right now, is that some posts I know will take some time and effort to write, and I want to do them well. So even if it is someone's 'turn', I may just go with someone whose next response is likely to take comparatively less time to finish.

So I hope you will all bear with me. I know what it is like to wait for a GM response, and will try to get to everyone in as equitable a manner as possible.
Konsaki
Uh, Grandma. What does this 'gentleman' do for you?

'Well, Carla. When a man and a woman love each other...' love.gif grinbig.gif
Sorry I couldnt resist, Blue. biggrin.gif
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (adamu)
[So I hope you will all bear with me. I know what it is like to wait for a GM response, and will try to get to everyone in as equitable a manner as possible.

Hey, I perfer quality over quantity, except perhaps with nuyen, and I know that my plot, at least, must be a bugger to ref because Electra keeps jumping off the plot wagon.

No doubt she would be crawling up from the bottom right now is she didnt' spend so much time trying to sort her life out again.

I get to writing her, and get these crazy ideas that I just have to run with...
Vegas
Etain - Second Wave

Because being able to talk to someone without talking comes in real handy when facing the Guarda and you want to make sure your stories are straight... wink.gif

Don't know what (if any) mods you want to impose, so take away dice as necessary.

Magic (4) + Spellcasting (4) = 8 dice
[5] 4 4 2 2 [5] 1 [5] Hits:3

WP (4) + Charisma (5) = 9 dice
[5] [5] 1 3 [6] [5] 3 [6] [6] Hits:6
adamu
Vegas

You have no actual mods in game terms, so you keep your successes. For the record, you have two boxes each of stun and physical damage.
adamu
MK Ultra

There are indeed no examples of trolls, dwarves or orks improving their situation on any shift from a trade to an enterprise union.
Vegas
QUOTE (adamu)
Vegas

You have no actual mods in game terms, so you keep your successes. For the record, you have two boxes each of stun and physical damage.

Then techically she does with the Low Pain Tolerance flaw. So she's at a -1 then with 2 boxes of physical. Meh nyahnyah.gif

At least we're on the same page now smile.gif

Mindlink should still have gone off without a hitch even taking away the last die on each roll.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

There are indeed no examples of trolls, dwarves or orks improving their situation on any shift from a trade to an enterprise union.

I thought so, but there are probably planty of examples, where the situation didn´t improve when they stayed, because the corps involved went out of business (not to mention the corps that fired all the poor sobs that wanted to stai in the international union).
I´ll make up some statistics & examples for this (I asume there are planty), but I wanted to see if there is an even better example (which would be your call, though I think it would only be a question of how many there are and how good they are to support my point), first. So I´m looking for examples, where workers actually switched from an enterprise to an international/intercorporate one and their situation still went worst.
adamu
MK Ultra

Yes, you can find MANY cases where people were worse off because they just refused to change to the enterprise union system and then just got fired.

Of course, that one could backfire on you....if he is also familiar with those cases, there are lots of ways to read the statistics depending on the time horizon you use. For example, for every person that go fired and ended up destitute, there will be another person or group that retrained and improved their situation in another industry.

And yes, there will be examples of people that went from enterprise to trade union and were worse off. Yes, some of them are because the stronger bargaining power was used to demand too much and forced an operation out of business. In other cases, independent trade union management was corrupt. But in other cases it will be arguable that management made a point of sacrificing the entire business just to make a point against the move to trade unions.
And there will be MANY cases where workers' lives were substantially improved by the move to trade unions.

All in all, you can easily find good cases to take to the media, which will sometimes spout what you tell them to, but you doubt you can convince Dean, because you and he are both aware that it is a simple fact that enterprise unions suck for workers.

Your best point, of course, is the idea about companies going under without concessions from labor, but again, saying that out loud can be a PR nightmare if you are up against savvy opposition.

Anyway, you can know all these various examples, and pick and choose statistics along these lines that suit you - you can do all that now in the meeting, since I assume your staff researched all this stuff already. Just know that there will always be other statistics that make the opposite point, and that in general, the weight of the overall statistics is against enterprise unions in terms of worker welfare, especially for manual labor and most especially for ork workers.

Sharing all this info with you to equivalate John's great intelligence and the fact that he has certainly studied this situation in great depth. I want you to know how I see this issue, because obviously that is knowledge Dean will use, and John would certainly be prepared for that.

All in all, great suggestions for counters - it is a pleasure GMing such an intelligent player.
adamu
QUOTE (Ankle Biter)

I get to writing her, and get these crazy ideas that I just have to run with...

Ankle Biter

Crazy ideas encouraged.
adamu
Vegas & MJ

Not that it is even worth caring about, but my anality requires me to tell you that I backedited a tiny part of my October 20 post - just to fill in a blank about something MJ had meant to do but overlooked.
Konsaki
@AnkleBiter
That doesnt sound too good for Electra...
adamu
Mister Juan

Sean O'Holloran was an upperclassman of yours when you entered your military academy. He was known for being about the poorest of the young men at the school - of noble birth but a family that was without income. He was a capable young officer candidate, but he was an incurable womanizer, and there was some sort of scandal that got him thrown out of school. Forced to work, but without a commission, he joined the Garda, where he was quickly promoted due to his blood, and now "handles" cases involving the nobility.
Also, you believe he used to hang around with Patrick before he went off to Japan.
DireRadiant
Conall - Moon called
Etain - Wolf answered
Electra - Truth or consequences, or just consequences. Or looking for Mr Goodbar...
Cerberus - Getting dogged by Louie
Rocky - Learning that Louie Fishbreath stinks
Caittie - Captured, bound, but not helpless, but still can't count on the Star
Mr Smith - How did he get talked into this?
Carla - Grandma I'm home... who's that man?
John - Philosphy doesn't throw people out on to the streets to starve does it? Someday he will learn he can't eat his words.
Konsaki
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Electra - Truth or consequences, or just consequences. Or looking for Mr Goodbar...

You, sir, have won and lost the internet at the same time. biggrin.gif
Mister Juan
I was just wondering if all you fine people would like it if we had a Wiki for the game. I know it's the latest craze, but they really do work well. We could keep everyone compiled story, and every character page could have some description (depends on how much info we want to reveal to each other). We could also have a little "screamsheet" section where we can write up repercution of our characters action (like the current shootout at the coffin motel) and things of the kind.

Anyways, just something I was throwing out there.

BlackHat
As we begin to interact with each other, I was thinking it would be useful to have some sort of reference or matrixs or something that show who knows who, and how, and what their opinions of one another might be (who is enemies, who are teammates, etc).

This game reminds me a bit of that new show "6 degrees" in that there are a lot of us who are connected in ways we wouldn't recognise right away. Course, maintinence might be a hassle, and at this point we all know more NPCs than PCs. biggrin.gif So depending on how we started to meet each other and actually work together it might be tough.

Course, at this point, it would be useful for me at least to be able to look up a one-paragraph OOC description of the character... not necessarily what my character might know about them, but more like, what your vision for your character is now (as opposed to who they were before they hit bottom).
Konsaki
Hmm.. Good idea there Mister Juan. Do you know where we can start up a Wiki, for free perferably. smile.gif
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (Konsaki)
QUOTE (DireRadiant)

Help me out, googling 'looking for mr goodbar', I find a movie about a teacher going on a barcrawl and doing drugs...

Anyhow, time to try that gift of the gab.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Ankle Biter)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Oct 23 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (DireRadiant)

Help me out, googling 'looking for mr goodbar', I find a movie about a teacher going on a barcrawl and doing drugs...

The movie synopsis probably doesn't help that much. But it all ends up badly, very badly. Because that nice guy she went bar crawling to find isn't very nice actually.

Waking dead after a one night stand kind of thing.
Konsaki
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
QUOTE (Ankle Biter @ Oct 24 2006, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Oct 23 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (DireRadiant)

The movie synopsis probably doesn't help that much. But it all ends up badly, very badly. Because that nice guy she went bar crawling to find isn't very nice actually.

Waking dead after a one night stand kind of thing.

I didnt know or care about all that, I just had my mind in the gutter when I read that line and remembered where Electra's story was at that point in time. biggrin.gif
Vegas
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Hmm.. Good idea there Mister Juan. Do you know where we can start up a Wiki, for free perferably. smile.gif

Yeah, MJ and I can set stuff up pretty easily for free smile.gif

If you're all/mostly interested, we can start getting it going today perhaps?
Konsaki
That would be pretty sweet. If you just throw up a link to the site once you have it up, we can start working on this badboy.
One thing I would suggest is a way to only allow us players and Adamu to edit the pages or else we might have some bastards come in and trash the place. frown.gif
BlackHat
Well, that might be hard to set up, since most wiki's are built with the idea that anyone can come along and edit it. There is usually a history, so at worst, if someone trashes your page you can always go back to the previous good version.

If we wanted to really lock people out, it would probably involves setting up a bunch of user-names and passwords and nonsense - and it might be fun to be able to edit one another's pages a little bit. smile.gif

It might also be cool if we (as players) filled out a couple of pages for NPCs that we would link to from our backgrounds... it'd be pretty funny to read what some of us would collaborate on about Louie Finnigan, among others.

Something like that would have been useful for me a while back, when Adam was meeting with Franco - because I ended up having to dig through the OOC history (huge thread) several times looking for some smal tidbit of trivia that I was told at some point.
BlueRondo
What if we just set up a separate "reference" thread on this board? The first page would act as a table of contents and all the needed information could be organized in the following posts.
BlackHat
Perhaps. Especially if we kept the number of new comments down and just had everyone modify their one single post with their character information - but I would be more interested in a wiki-type solution where I could embed images, and easily link to other people's pages (rather than linking to hidden comment numbers or something in the forums) - but that solution still sounds workable - and would keep people from editing one another's information.
Vegas
The thread idea can work, but once it gets to be so big, it's no better than going back in the current threads we already have. biggrin.gif

The wiki is easy to set up, it would just mean you'd have to make an account on the site and we can add you to be members of the wiki and only members have access to change the pages. MJ and I did this for another game we had and it was DAMN cool since each person could "flavour" their pages accordingly and it had things like each characters "takes" on the other 11 in the game, etc. Made for some fun reading let alone RP.

I've got a space set up if we want to use it, HB Wiki

You'll just have to click on the "Join Us" at the top right of the page and make an account if you don't have one on WikiSpaces (Username, Password, Email and that's about it) Once you guys set up usernames let me know them and I can send you invites to join the space and you'll then have access to update things as you wish once we get the main "feel" going.

The interface can be somewhat of a PITA, but we can make it work if MJ and I design templates that just let you guys copy/paste stuff in there or something. biggrin.gif
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Vegas)
I've got a space set up if we want to use it, HB Wiki

You'll just have to click on the "Join Us" at the top right of the page and make an account if you don't have one on WikiSpaces (Username, Password, Email and that's about it) Once you guys set up usernames let me know them and I can send you invites to join the space and you'll then have access to update things as you wish once we get the main "feel" going.

Username = DireRadiant

Seems I already had an account for some reason.
Vegas
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Username = DireRadiant

Seems I already had an account for some reason.

Heh, I do so wonder why ever that could be nyahnyah.gif
BlueRondo
My username is BlueRondo1
Vegas
Ok... with everyone who has "hit bottom" already, who has taken street names?

I've got:
Warren = Cerberus
Angus = Rocky
Adam = Mr. Smith
Harriet = Sledge

I'm certain I've missed others... I can set up the wiki with original character names and street names on the side smile.gif

If it's easier for everyone I can go ahead and set up individual pages for each character and let you all edit them from that point.
BlackHat
Requested membership. smile.gif Yippy.
Yeah, "Mr. Smith" isnt as sweet of a Street-Name as I would have liked, but it fits with Adam's profile thus far, so I'm going to be keeping it for a while, I think. Just don't be surprised down the road if Adam starts refering to himself by some other aliases (which becomes more and more unlikely as he meets potential teammates). biggrin.gif
BlackHat
Of note on the templates: "Home Ground" is no longer free. wink.gif
Vegas
hehe I knew i'd miss some stuff copying them over nyahnyah.gif

Thanks for the heads up.
Mister Juan
Yea; it's because we ripped off the old templates from the 410 Crash Wiki we had back in the days nyahnyah.gif
Mister Juan
Conall - Second Wave
Just thought it might be useful. I didn't impose any modifiers because I wasn't sure which one they would be.

Intimidation
Rolls: 2,5,5,6,4,6,3,5
Hits: 5
Konsaki
Sent in the request using Konsaki.
Ankle Biter
Hrm, Electra's street name.

That's gonna be tough to decide when it comes to it.

Anyway, I asked into the WIKI.

Ed - name of AnkleBiter
MK Ultra
wikis are fun

2nd wave, John

So, I´m hoping to either gain some characterinformationabout Dean here, or else protect some numbers of mine for later use (and at the same time move along the negotiations a bit).

To go on, I need some OOC info on my contract with NeoNET

... By green light, they not only mean legal approval for the acquisitions, but also extraterritoriality for all the company's holdings, and any other licenses or exceptions they need to basically totally ignore all environmental and labor regulations. ...
Overcoming legal obstacles to separating their entire workforce from IMU (International Miners United), which is a global trade union, and creating in its place its own enterprise union.

So, do I have the leway, to give some legal security for the sustained existence of an enterprise union? The specific task-description would say so, but the first paragraph could be read oneway or the other.
Vegas
Konsaki and Ankle Biter you've been approved smile.gif

MK you've had an invite sent to your old wiki name.

That's a lot of us, but not all of us smile.gif
MK Ultra
I have joyfully accepted it Vegas

nice pictures everyone!
BlueRondo
How do you activate the links at the top of the page? (Stats, gear, etc.)
Vegas
QUOTE (BlueRondo)
How do you activate the links at the top of the page? (Stats, gear, etc.)

you first have to make pages to link to. So on the left side navigation you pick "new page" and then call it what you want ie I've done all the ones so far with "PCName Takes" all lower case. If it's easier for people I can set up each page and you all can just "edit" them when they're made, or you can do it yourselves. Then you highlight the text you want to be linked and then click the first globe with the chain in front of it. Your text will be the link and then from the dropdown under the Wiki Link section you can pick the specific page to link to, provided you've created it already.

I've actually taken out the anchors for Stats, gear, etc. except for the Background, Residence, Mechanics, Takes part because all that info is in the first page of your CS. If you still have them it's because you were editing your pages already when I tried to remove them and instead of ruining all your changes, I left them alone. If two people edit at the same time you'll get a little floating warning, but it will also cancel the other person's changes if you both save them.

if that doesn't make sense just let me know and I'll try to be more clear. Had some beers with dinner so nyahnyah.gif
BlackHat
Aww, I went through the effort of specificaly not labeling Adam as a particular "role" and then someone took away the ones that were there. wink.gif
Vegas
That someone would be me.. as I shouldn't "Assume" anyone wants to be labled nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012