Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
adamu
UNWIRED

Okay, enough people have PMed me about this that I supposed I'd best just make an announcement -

I don't do PDFs, so it seems very unlikely that I will have Unwired before GenCon (assuming they have hardcopies there). So another month for me to try to crawl through it - those rules will probably no actively exist in our game until mid-September.

If there are individual things you need/want from it right away, talk to me.
adamu
Still hoping you guys take the opportunity here for some character-developing interaction while I am mostly offline.

But even that that doesn't come up, the ball is definitely in y'all's court for moving forward with interrogation or anything else - my last IC post covered all of MK's question list....
MK Ultra
Sorry, I have been alternately very bussy, or very drunk over the last two weeks. I´ll try to get up an IC till mid-week, but Everyone looking for character interaction with John could post him stepping out of the van, to discuss the information -especially about Naguel- with the team (leaving some guard with Vanity, of course).
Jack Robustus
Jack felt the need to move. See IC for details.

He will maintain the same sleeping and eating schedule as before but he will not conduct hourly perception tests at his new location. He would rather keep the door shut and avoid being discovered.
adamu
Jack - sweet flashback post.

MK - she doesn't try anything with the data transfer. She hands the stick back with the commcode for Kenichi and all the photos he gave her of Esmeralda - most show her in scenes you already know about, but the one does indeed show her working on a troll in a firelit street, yelling at the camera, with Naguel - in Los Locos colors - standing behind her with mil-spec assault rifle pointed at her.
MK Ultra
Cool flashback, I really like the ball-shooting biggrin.gif
MK Ultra
I´ll probably be out of touch for the next week, but feel free to move on and I´ll catch up as soon as I´m back. Sorry Jack, that we still didn´t resolve the interrogation scene to make that call.

Have fun, MK
Vegas
Sorry for my silence lately guys, lots of real life stuff getting in the way of posting anything of substance. That coupled with the fact that I am offline from now until Sunday, 7/20 tosses the ball in your laps to keep posts moving.

Etain's high has worn off by the time of Krait's last post.

Hope to get back to more regular posting when I get back. Thanks!
adamu
Okay - back "home" in London, but new digs iffy and without Internet for now.

I am exhausted and superbusy, but will try to make it here to the Internet Cafe almost every day, as I have been away from this game for too long - scheduled or not.

That said, there does not seem to be much need for me - the ball is still in y'all's court - you are all in an alley with lots of fresh info and the actions are yours to take.

Jack is esconced in his new Fortress of Putritude, and I know Frank/Krait was planning on calling him once the interrogation was finished....
Jack Robustus
Jack is esconced in his new Fortress of Putritude,

LOL! adamu give yourself 2 gamemaster karma for that one.
adamu
Hah - if only there was such a thing - just think how many more motivated GMs there would be floating around offering good games.

I've always thought the whole thing was ironic, actually.
BlueRondo
Welcome back, Adamu. What a surprise to learn you're staying in England - I'll be in England as well this fall.
adamu
Well, as the day approaches, give me a PM if you are so inclined.
adamu
<sigh of relief as someone breaks the ten-day IC silence>

Thanks MJ!
BlueRondo
Sorry I haven't had anything to contribute recently. I threw out some bait to start an IC conversation long ago, but I never got a reply. I'll try something else shortly.
adamu
I appreciate that.

I know it's tough with MK and Vegas both having announced they'll be unavailable for the next few weeks.

And of course, posting is always heaviest when there is a lot of action, and slowest when the characters have to make decisions and organize for action.

When I play, I find it helps if I make short lists of current leads or things that need doing, and then start trying to delegate them out to other players.

(But then, sometimes as a player I can be fairly obnoxious...but when the thread just isn't moving....)
Jack Robustus
I'm checking in faithfully every day but with Jack well ahead of the timeline and ensconced in his Fortress of Putritude, as a player I am just in waiting mode.
MK Ultra
Tranquelizer?

@Adamu: Do we have something available that (given enough medical expertise) put Vanity to sleep for a day or at least a half?

@Everyone: Do you agree with my latest suggestion to dump Vanity in some coffin hotel, where we can pick her up again, in case we need her?

P.S.: I´m back home and should have enough time for frequent posts in the comming days, though my wlan is acting funny tonight, hope to get that fixed tomorrow. Fortunatly the cable-connection still works - so much for wifi connectibility.
BlueRondo
That sounds fine to me.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Jul 20 2008, 06:33 PM) *
Tranquelizer?

@Adamu: Do we have something available that (given enough medical expertise) put Vanity to sleep for a day or at least a half?

How fortunate for you to have a doctor on your team....

Factoring for presence of a medkit, Medicine (3)/1 minute extended test (add in complementary skills as applicable, and/or add two dice if you brought any special medical supplies that might be applicable).
MK Ultra
IIRC, Carla brought some low level Tranque Patches from the clinik, but I might be misremembering that.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Jul 22 2008, 06:29 AM) *
IIRC, Carla brought some low level Tranque Patches from the clinik, but I might be misremembering that.

Well, someone's gonna have to take the initiative and put Vanity to sleep pretty soon.... because Conall might step in and just beat her into unconciousness nyahnyah.gif
BlueRondo
Unfortunately, Carla left the tranq patches at home and took the stim patches instead. If she can't make a sleep cocktail out of what she has, then we'll let Conall hit her over the head.

[ Spoiler ]
Vegas
I'm back for the most part. Survived the clutches of Texas pre-hurricane. biggrin.gif I'll try to get a post up, but I need to get back into the "groove" of posting/gaming in general. My head's been in an entirely different place as of late.
adamu
BlueRondo - you got the requisite successes, so you concocted the aneasthetic per the stated specs.

Time for some actions!
MK Ultra
Be carefull what you ask for, you may well get some Computer Action biggrin.gif

@adamu
So, what I´m looking for is a cheap coffin hotel not too far away (like it shouldn´t be in Redmond or auburn), that does not have a meta-human behind a desk, and that has it´s vid-cams connected to the grid, so I can hack them. If I raise an alert, I´d simply try to clean up any traces I left, as good as I can (of course, my AID will always be spoofed to be some random AID provided by my hardware mod) and move to another hotel, starting all over again.

So the basic procedure will be …
-Datasearch for hotels (I´ll restrict the search to some public hotel-database instead of the whole matrix, to speed things up). Buying hits it should take roughly half a minute at most – more like 3 to 6 seconds for an easy or average TH (p. 220, Datasearch+Brows (11 dice, TH, 1 CT), buying 2 hits/CT to a max of 22 hits).
-Matrix Perception (p. 217, Computer+Analyze, 12 dice, buying 3 hits to learn Firewall, Alert-Status and presence of a Databomb (I´m more worried about matrix vandalism then a hotel booby-trapping it´s own node). This step will be repeated until I find an easy target.
-Hacking on the fly for a standard user access (p. 221, Hacking+Exploit (9 dice, Firewall, 1 Complex Action, 4 and 5 hits), Node´s Analyze+Firewall (Stealth) Extended test roll, for each Hacking Roll, to raise an alert.
-Matrix Perception (p. 217, Computer+Analyze, 12 dice, buying 3 hits to learn Alert-Status, linked nodes and presen. If I raise an alert, I´ll clean up and run´, to start over again at some other place – I´ll do the rolls if necessary. If no alert is sounded, I´ll proceede as follows.
-Lokate user account files (p. 220 Datasearch+Browse or Hacking+Browse (11 dice, TH, 1 IP), buying 2 hits/IP to a max of 22 hits). If all the securety relevant stuff was in a separate node, I´d have to hack that again, but I hope that I picked an easy enough target, that this is not the case.
-Create a 3 valid, hidden admin account backdoors for myself (p. 225, Hacking+Edit, 12 dice) one of which I´ll start using immediately, 2 hits, the other two will be saved for future use, 7 and 3 hits.
-Locate the security cameras (as Datasearch above) and monitor them.
-Locate the customer/coffin files (as Datasearch above).
-Change one vacant coffin to occupied&payed (p. 225, Computer+Edit, 12 dice, 5 hits), I´ll give the coffin´s access code to Carla before we split up. Of course if this works, he´ll tell Carla, that she dosn´t have to pay at all.
-Prepaire a nice, randome ‘camera glitch’ for the camera feed, to mask the teams entrance (Computer+Edit?, 12 dice, 3 hits).
-Manipulate the cameras to safe all future camera feeds in an invisible file for me (Computer+Stealth?, 9 dice, 3 hits.
-Locate security log files (as Datasearch above).
-Erase the admin account I have been using so far, (p. 225, Computer+Edit, 12 dice, 5 hits).
-Clean all traces of my tempering and presence from the logs (p. 225, Hacking+Edit, 12 dice, 5 hits) and leave.

Rolls …
[ Spoiler ]

@BlueRondo
John will advise you to keep all of Vanity´s possessions, until we finally release her.
adamu
MK - when I saw that list of matrix stuff, my first decision was to hand-wave it - it is not central to the action, it's not that hard, and things have been stalled here too long.

But reading down and rolling some dice, I didn't have to hand-wave anything. It is clear that you are a good enough hacker to totally dominate a run-down coffin hotel!

You succeed at all your goals, though I will need an IC post before the success becomes official.

That leaves you free to move forward, and everyone else free to do whatever they want - including drop Vanity off. BUT - everyone take their upcoming actions one destination at a time, please...
MK Ultra
Hey, Mister Juan, will Conell give John a ride back to where he hid that sensorpackage (a few blocks away), or do you have other plans? In the later case, John would simply use a cab.
adamu
Alas - my baby is dying again.
What can I do? - no one has done anything to adjudicate, and you have a passle of new leads.

I fear I have not been proactive enough in infusing fun ninja attacks into things to motorvate everyone.

And until I get online at home again (don't ask about that nightmare), I will be in no position for draconian resuscitation measures from days of yore.

CAN the game hang on until adamu works out his housing fiasco?!
WILL the quarelling elves ever work out their differences and play well together?
SHOULD Dunkelzahn rain fire down on the team from the heavens?
WOULD fresh blood breath the life of higher posting rates into the thread?
And HOW LONG will the new player be left to rot in the men's room?
These questions and more will be answered soon - same Bat-time, same Bat-channel.
BlackHat
Your post was full of win.
adamu
full of win?
Is that some sort of new Internet hipster slang?
is it a good thing?
Mister Juan
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Jul 28 2008, 06:45 AM) *
Hey, Mister Juan, will Conell give John a ride back to where he hid that sensorpackage (a few blocks away), or do you have other plans? In the later case, John would simply use a cab.

Actually, Conall is going to take Etain back to their place and call it a night.
John can walk back home for all he cares nyahnyah.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu @ Jul 30 2008, 04:07 PM) *
full of win?
Is that some sort of new Internet hipster slang?
is it a good thing?

Nothing is new on the internet. biggrin.gif But yeah, its a good thing.
Jack Robustus
All right Black Hat for us ignorant folk, what does, "Full of win," mean?
Mister Juan
So, just so I get everything straight before I post:
1- John is going back to get the sensor thingy
2- Carla, the 3 gangers + the van are going to drop off Vanity
3- The twins are going home.

What we've learned
1-The name of the J who had Esmeralda kidnapped, and his contact number I believe
2-The place where they met
3-The place where they handed Esmeralda over

Square?
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Jul 30 2008, 05:32 PM) *
All right Black Hat for us ignorant folk, what does, "Full of win," mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=full+of+win cyber.gif
MK Ultra
I can only second BlackHat, the post was hillarious biggrin.gif

Now I just have to get that old Saberrider Theme out of my head again wink.gif

I´ll get that call to Jack out by the weekend, maybe even tonight, if my chums didn´t secretly conspire to watch DVDs with me...
Jack Robustus
@MK Ultra hey no hurry on that call to Jack. He's just rotting in his fortress of putrescence. If you wait long enough, he might recover some of that stun damage he took in the big fight. Hell, maybe his ear will stop bleeding too.
MK Ultra
Well, John is so incredibly paranoid, he wants to make that call, before he recovers the sensor package, for it might have some hidden sniffing device - of course he´s worried about the same thing with Vanity, but wandering about the dock-yards in the night all alone and dressed in an expensive suit, dosn´t seem to be a very good idea nyahnyah.gif

BTW, what dos fortress of putrescence actually mean, the online translator didn´t know frown.gif

@BlueRondo
Since Conell will take along Etain, John will ask to be taken to the sensorpackage by van (it´s only a few blocks). From there he´ll go by cab on his own, to deal with the bike and ork.
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jul 30 2008, 05:36 PM) *
So, just so I get everything straight before I post:
1- John is going back to get the sensor thingy
2- Carla, the 3 gangers + the van are going to drop off Vanity
3- The twins are going home.

ADAMU - That is my understanding, yes indeed. All those actions need IC posts for them to happen, though. And a moderate amount of detail would be good - remember earlier direction, people - one stop at a time, then wait for green light to continue...

What we've learned
1-The name of the J who had Esmeralda kidnapped, and his contact number I believe
2-The place where they met
3-The place where they handed Esmeralda over

ADAMU - you have definitely learned those three things. Whether that is ALL you have learned is up to you to decide.

Square?

adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Jul 31 2008, 06:34 AM) *
BTW, what dos fortress of putrescence actually mean, the online translator didn´t know frown.gif

No dictionary.
Putrid is rotting and stinky.
The "-tude" suffix is probably grammatically incorrect.
But it makes it sound like Fortress of Solitude.
adamu
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Jul 31 2008, 05:40 AM) *
@MK Ultra hey no hurry on that call to Jack. He's just rotting in his fortress of putrescence. If you wait long enough, he might recover some of that stun damage he took in the big fight. Hell, maybe his ear will stop bleeding too.

Healing is good.
Fight ended around 9:00.
You found your shed at around 9:15.
You bedded down after completing security measures at around 9:50.
You moved to Fortress of Putritude at around 9:30, which is about the time everyone else is in.

I am very glad you compressed the times, as it keeps you in sync with everyone else. I love Jack's quiet determination to stay in his campsite for two days, and then leaving in a few minutes. Very cool characterization IMHO.
I would ask you to change the 9:50ish post to 9:20ish, or else move the 9:30ish post to 10:00ish. You'll be close to Krait's timeline either way, and we avoid any chance of the universe imploding.

We'll make an estimate of your resting time based on whichever way you choose to go with that (basically either about five minutes or thirty-five).
MK Ultra
IC up, Accompanying OOC will come tomorrow.
Jack Robustus
@adamu, I hope the universe didn't implode wobble.gif

@MKultra, I'll let you handle the next IC post. Just remember when speaking for Jack to use his patois. By now you should probably have a handle on it. Also, he will be moderately paranoid but not trigger happy. Unless Krait forgets the secret knock. Then all bets are off. love.gif
adamu
MK - The troll is very polite to you. I would have done an IC but you moved on, which is actually better anyway.
I will give you the results on the Doc Wagon incident search once the requisite IC time has passed.
I assume you will buy successes. Could you remind me how many that makes and how long you search for?

BR - with the twins headed home, it is on you to post the delivery of Vanity to the coffin hotel. Just don't post leaving there until I have a chance to look things over.

Twins - same deal, if you are going home, post the movement and your disposition once you get there.
BlueRondo
Adamu

Carla and St. Pierre search for any items on Vanity's body or in her clothing. Here's a roll so you can determine whether we miss anything special.

[ Spoiler ]

Also, I don't think a location for the hotel was specified, so I don't know what a reasonable destination time would be.

PS: I've been a lame player for the past couple of weeks. Apologies all around.
adamu
BlueRondo - first of all NONONONO need to apologize. Heck, I have been in a major slump (crazy job/crazy house) for MONTHS now, and it's ME that needs to apologize.
You, on the other hand, are the most consistent poster on this thread - did you know that your IC post count for Hitting Bottom is higher than MINE?
I really appreciate your sticking with things during the current slow period (which I HOPE will really turn around after GenCon!).

Anyway, you know how anal I am - so here is something you can cut and paste into that pesky double-post space.
It covers the important thing that your search turns up - I will OOC you with the full details later - don't have my notes on Vanity here at the Internet cafe with me. Also, do note that a list of the easily found things she was carrying is already in an earlier post, but I'll repeat it when I give you the full results.

Paste in the following:

Without saying anything out loud, Carla made it clear to St. Pierre with her eyes what they were going to do. He quickly understood that it was time for a much more thorough search of their prisoner than had been carried out previously.

The troll started at her feet, taking off her shoes and going over them carefully. Carla started at the head, carefully working her fingers through the woman's tight curls....and bingo! Tangled in the short-cropped afro was a small chip. It wasn't well mounted - it almost looked as if it had been dropped right into her hair.

Setting the item aside carefully, they continued their search.
BlueRondo
Strength test to see if Carla can carry Vanity

[ Spoiler ]

MK Ultra
Adamu
Datasearch Pool is 11 dice, buying 2 hits per minute for a max of 22 hits in 11 minutes, so search should be done between 21:41 or 21:45.

My plan is to pick up the sensorpackage and hop on my cab, from where I can answer Carla´s message (while on my way to Jack).

Should I end my next IC at the dumpster/before getting into the cab (or even before it arrives) or do I have green light to procede till Carla´s message?

BlueRondo
Strength? You have a freaking big troll with you nyahnyah.gif
Ofcourse there are advantages to hauling the girl yourself, but at least there should be no cleark at the coffin hotel.
Mister Juan
@Vegas
Want me to write up the post, or do we split it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012