Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
pragma
Also, what kind of neighborhood is the Stuffer Shack in?
Abbandon
Adamu

-Fact/Reminder as of this post round 1 turn 2 has not been resolved. Just so there is no confusion.

Im gonna go ahead and roll up the entire next round.

Round 2 turn 1: both parties standing

initiative: Reaction 5 + intuition 4 = 9 dice
5,2,4,6,3,1,6,6,6 = 5 hits
Final Initiative = 14

Warrens 1 IP: subdue attack
Agility 4 +unarmed 5= 9 dice
1,3,2,1,5,3,3,5,3 = 2 hits
if he hits then subdue check: Strength 8 + net hits vs opponents body. pg152

Warrens's defense:
Reaction 5 + Unarmed 5= 10 dice
2,4,6,5,6,3,2,1,1,6 = 4 hits

soak roll:
Body 6 + 1 troll skin = 7 dice
3,3,4,1,1,2,6 = 1 hit ouch

Round 2 turn 2: (probably still standing after a failed grapple attempt)

initiative: Reaction 5 + intuition 4 = 9 dice
2,4,6,6,5,4,3,1,1 = 3 hits
Final Initiative = 12

Warrens 1 IP:
If i successfully grabbed him in turn 1 then i will inflict damage on him automatically for 8S resisted by body and impact armor. Unless he went first and breaks free of my panzy grip. (bottom of pg 152)

If not im gonna try to knock his ass out with an attack:
Agility 4 +unarmed 5= 9 dice
5,4,3,2,1,6,6,3,4 = 3 hits stupid dice
if he hits then subdue check: Strength 8 + net hits vs opponents body. pg152

Warrens's defense:
Reaction 5 + Unarmed 5= 10 dice
6,2,5,3,6,3,3,5,2,6 = 5 hits

soak roll:
Body 6 + 1 troll skin = 7 dice
1,1,1,6,5,2,3 = 2 hits
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now all you gotta do is provide feedback for those 3 turns, tell me who is posting them(i think your doing the 2nd turns and im doing the 1st turns), and if anything would change things like George deciding to throw a submission which would cancel out my attacks and make me have to reroll.

I understand about making me stick to rolls i have made in normal combat situations. Like if two people are shooting at the same bad guy and the first guy kills him or takes him out and i have already rolled to shoot him you would just say i missed or something. But what if we include optional outcomes. Like i will either shoot target A (here are my rolls) or if he goes down for whatever reason I will shoot at target B (here are my rolls).

adamu
Hey everyone - sorry to have been so swamped by RL lately. I am going to sit down after work tonight at AT LEAST respond to everything in Third Wave. Hopefully more.
In the interests of time - I may respond piecemeal, like, to just one person. That is so that I can use any short blocks of time that become available. If that happens, don't think I forgot you. I will definitely be getting to everyone in as timely a manner as possible and as close as I can guesstimate to 'been waiting longest' order.
As noted earlier, I am shooting for a minimum of one wave a day, six days a week.
adamu
Cedric...and everyone else

By now you all should know how hopeless I am with computers. Well, naturally, that translates to the hacking rules.
Not to say we're not going to use them, or that Konsaki and Cedric are going to be lacking for action.
It is to say that if I stumble ruleswise, I count on y'all catching me. I will admit this part of the rules is not my strongest, and our first matrix runs are going to be a learning process for me.
I will obviously be running all the target systems, but no one should count on a lot of help from me regarding what your characters' options are, how your sprites or agents or programs or complex forms work, and so on. That is all your responsibility.
I added the 'and everyone else' because obviously that applies to magic, combat, and so on. (Please no one take that to mean there have been any problems thus far! There haven't.)

So Cedric - Jon has a job to do, and I eagerly wait your declarations about how you intend to go about it.
DireRadiant
Construction sites are dangerous places. Spend a few minutes gossiping about a co worker, and next thing you know, you're hanging for your life from some scaffolding!
adamu
Abbandon

First off - thank you for your cool post on this 'mixed martial arts' style of fighting. Here in Japan, on rare occasions when I can get the remote away from my wife, I watch K-1, which seems exactly like the fighting you are describing. And I must admit that I am one of the morons that thinks the grapple part is boring as spit. I will totally appreciate this sport more now that you have explained it to me.

As for your 'prone' question - what I believe the rules mean when they say treat all grappled people as prone is just that attackers get the 'target prone' bonus, not that they are actually prone.

As for spelling out lots of contingency options for your actions, I am all for it. As many as you've got the energy for - it totally saves on post turnaround. Of course, as GM I reserve the right to veto after a certain point if it gets to convoluted, but I doubt that will happen.

As for your actual results - I was not sufficiently familiar with this style when I decided how we would run it. I didn't anticipate a lot of subduing. The artificial way I chose to do it (two turns in a round) means that unless you get the subdual on the first turn, you will have no chance to ever do damage. So I have made a ruling....

In the second turn of the first round, you totally got a great hold on the guy. From there I went ahead and applied your second round rolls to him, but still in the first round. So he tried to get away for a while, but eventually you forced him into total submission - he was too stubborn to tap out, but you choked him into unconsciousness. First round win.

Since you are so totally much more knowledgeable about this style than I am, I am going to ask you to post the last half of the fight. I will make a post after you describing what happens right after the fight ends.
adamu
pragma
You successfully summon the spirit with one service, all drain resisted.

CIA databases - you have access to tons of them...from your office. CIA keeps most stuff totally offline.
On that point - I sense that you may have misunderstood me slightly on one point - when your supervisor says not to show your face in the office until Monday, it is just a good natured way of insisting you get some rest, even if you might be inclined to stay at the office because of the crisis. He was not commanding you to absolutely not come in for any reason. So if you want to check that stuff, just go in and do it.

Memory test - sorry again.

Stuffer Shack - as with pretty much everywhere you have been, I am assuming you spend all your time in upper middle class North Virginia suburbs filled with bureaucrats, political staffers, lobbyists, journalists, consultants - pretty much like Virginia suburbs of DC are today. Nice and tame and safe.
Abbandon
Whew i made the GM tap out!!! ..errr wait he still gets to control how many of my friends die horrably. Nevermind hehehe.

Ok i will try to whip up something image provoking.

Mixed martial arts is great to watch because in a street fight its how things would really go down. Not only are you getting entertained but your learning what to do in a fight to.
Konsaki
I'd like to say, I personally like how all these stories are being played out. They are adding alot of personallity to the characters, so when we do get together, we will have a better idea of how they will get along and such.
I'm on the edge of my seat to read what happens next on all 12 of the storylines.

Good job, adamu and other players. Lets keep this up. rotate.gif
Cedric Rolfsson
Okay Jon the Hacker is going to work. Spoilers are okay for anyone to read, they are just there to keep post length reasonable.

Adamu
[ Spoiler ]

EDIT** dam thing ate my second spoiler

Adamu, if you're going to post Jon's VR experience I've already worked out a iconagraphy paradigm for him to use.

[ Spoiler ]
Abbandon
Cedric What? screw that save the double bladed light saber and lightning for enemy hackers or agents/sprites. Normal IC should be droids firing blasters or storm troopers. I just finished playing KNights of the old republic 1 for the xbox. I almost beat it twice. I had already played and beat kotor2 numerous times hehe. Those are some of the best star wars games ever. The light saber fighting is sweet.

The extended version of the ending to my fight: (open to public viewing)

[ Spoiler ]

I didnt know exactly where the end of the fight was so if i cut it off to soon you can copy paste or just laugh at it and write your own hehe.

Adamu back when we were trading pm's about my character im pretty sure you asked me for details about his fights and stuff and i said that i did NOT want his fights to be underground stuff, since everybody and there brother probably does that. I wanted my guy fighting legitamate fights using his fake SIN. I just said that he wasnt to the point where his fights would be televised though.

A big tent out in the cornfields sounds like underground to me but i rolled with it instead of fight it. That will probably be the last fight he ever has in the ring anyways unless he starts specifically doing underground fights against cybered fighters and paranormal creatures. Which i doubt I will engage in freely.
DireRadiant
Harriet is having a bad day... less then ten minutes from character intro, and bad stuff is happening!

Adamu if there are particular stop or event points you want to have in the scene(s) can you let me know the general time frames. I don't want to catch you out by posting beyond something you want to do. For example in my very first post I could have easily progressed all the way to dinner with Monica. skipping what is an interesting event you have though of. Works the other way to, if there is an event you want me to work towards, then that would be good to know as well.
JDragon
Cedric

I'm new to the hacking rules as well so I was looking over your rolls to see what I could learn but have a couple questions.

In your rolls you have #6 listed as 6 + 5 = 11. ... Success, I'm wondering why you rolled again on this. Were you using edge? My understanding is a 5 or a 6 is a hit and thats it, the only time you roll again is if using edge.

Also my understanding on the threshold to do a probing hack in was that Admin level access is a +6 modifier on top of the systems defense. So I belive it would be the targets System + Firewall + the 6 for admin access.

Not trying to be difficult just trying to make sure I have been doing things correctly in my game,

BTW love the SW references for your agents and such.

JDragon
Ankle Biter
Using a 3rd Ed dice roller, 6's are re rolled automatically.
Cedric Rolfsson
JDragon, on my rolls, all I do is use the automatic die roller from (http://www.irony.com/shadowroll.html) and then cut and paste, I'm just lazy that way. You put in the number of die to roll and the target number and it rolls. It is still using the Rule of Six which is the weird numbers you're seeing. I'm not actually re-rolling anything I'm just cutting and pasting the results screen instead of re-typing.

As I read it the Extended test (p. 58) is based upon the GM determining the difficulty level (then adding +6 for admin level access p. 221) to the threshold (Easy = 4 +6, Average= 6 + 6, Hard = 12 +6 etc. again see p. 58) then once I've met the threshold number of successes I automatically succeed. I'll have to make additional test rolls, and each test will take an additional hour p. 221 since I'm in full VR and doing an extended "Probing the Target" p. 221.

Adamu, second probe test, hour 2 (with 8 successes previously)
[ Spoiler ]

So that should give me a total of 12 successes in two hours which should get me the Easy or Average difficulty levels for entry per p. 58. Let me know if I need more tests.
Cedric Rolfsson
OK, I'm an idiot, sorry. If I might need rolls I should post them so as to avoid delays. I'll post a couple more rolls, just in case. After five hours if I can't get in for an admin access I'll switch over and try a to get a security level access.

[ Spoiler ]

A total of 23 successes in 5 hours for an Admin level passcode. Which would put me at around 1 p.m. in game time. If I don't have the Admin access code at that point I'll try and get a security level entry code for the next four hours.

[ Spoiler ]

A total of 20 successes for security level access which would be Difficulty(p. 58) + 3 = Threshold.
JDragon
Got it, thanks for the info.

I never played 3rd ed, just started with 4th. biggrin.gif

JDragon
MK Ultra
@ adamu

Once John is back in his office, the first intel request will likely be on the reporter (or news agency) responsible for the media-hyped birth-defects case.

A general question about RFS´s intelligence resources and the accompanying mechanics.

How do we handle this? LA says no rolls are necessary and I´d assume this is true for all the general information (leg-work style info no mor then a few sentences long). I allso assume that I have softs for all the forseeable major players and issues (i.e. everyone speciffically mentioned in the objectives, like SK, UCAS-NAN relationship, Arthur Vogel, etc. but not the specific UCAS Attorney General or the Reporter from the birth-defects storry) and the bonuses are allready calculated into the threshholds.
But how about the less obvious topics (i.e. the Attorney Generals and Reporter). I assume general (Leg-work style) information is available on them as well (excluding current information on ongoing operations, but this being the case with both resources should be quiet unusual and would only exclude the latest information but not old sceletons in the closet, I guess). How about softs (to get a secondary skill bonus)? How many different softs can be produced and how long dos it take? What about softs that are likely to allready exist in RFS´s or it´s contractors libraries, do you simply say which are available, or should we put up some roll-system for it? For softs that are not available in time through my regular channels, I´d assume I have some (or more) employee at hand, who´s job it is (in game-terms) to make availability checks, do you roll (or decide) for them or else how many are ther and what are their dice pools?
MK Ultra
@ adam

BTW if you want to use an established SR-NPC for the Reporter (or any npc upcoming later). I have access to Shadow Beat and Primerunners (and with borrowing from friends to moste sb´s in general). Off cause the statts will be out-dated, but that´s good, as they should give a good reflection of intell in the dossiers/databases, without giving me the reall stats.
adamu
MK Ultra

Obviously we can't assign this particular sub-problem a one-week interval for your extended test. Let's just make it a logic + law (4) test. Make that and you can send a lackey into court in the morning to stall things - or go yourself, but I know that is not really your character's style.

Okay, as for how much info you have at your fingertips, assume you have ALL of it, except for really secret things that would take some serious investigatory resources to uncover. Also assume that you have lots of serious investigatory resources to throw around.

As I said, each problem will be handled in two stages - first the extended tests to solve the problems. All your virtually unlimited resources are factored into the threshholds. The only thing not factored in is anything you can come up with to give yourself an edge at the STRATEGIC level. So in essence, that part will basically be abstracted. It is all just too damned big to try to micromanage in game terms.
For example, the reporter behind the story on the birth defects - that is faceless teams of reporters working for several major global networks - mostly the ones with interests counter to NeoNET's. (Note that Horizon has not been too heavily involved in that story.)

Once you finish the basic problems (i.e. complete each respective extended test), the implementations will provide much more opportunity for tactical level play on your part.

So we will necessarily have substantial periods of game time taken up with those extended tests, but I do intend to pepper plenty of roleplaying throughout, on the implementations and otherwise.

So at this point, we need the roll for the SK injunction, and then sort of a strategic indication of what you will be doing for the next few weeks (the defects story?). And freely throw in IC posts whenever you are inclined - I know I will be.

By the way, did you notice that according to the new sourcebook (goodness knows when I will actually be able to get a copy of that thing) your old pal Rowena has now become the top Mafia figure in Seattle?
adamu
Vegas and Mister Juan

What is the blue writing? Is that Etain's mindlink spell? If so, fine - just wondering exactly what the blue signified.
MK Ultra
Uh I´m not quiet sure what this is for frown.gif but anyway here we go.

[ Spoiler ]

Wow, what a waste of hits! Looks like the (what ever that was for) is staled untill judgements day, because there is some obscure paragraph dating back to the seccession of the CAS, that has never been applyed since it´s creation and that no judge or attorney would probably have remembered ever, if not for ... Me nyahnyah.gif.
I hope this rediculously dramatic success gives me some bonus for solving these case (it should not be too big a bonus, though, since it was not a 1 week interval, probably best to apply it to the implementation, where most test are not such long-term endeavors).

... The only thing not factored in is anything you can come up with to give yourself an edge at the STRATEGIC level.  ... Once you finish the basic problems (i.e. complete each respective extended test), the implementations will provide much more opportunity for tactical level play  on your part.

Ah, ok. Then I will keep the micro-manage-stuff for the implementation phase, I was unsure when to apply this stuff. You know I´m paranoid and megalomaniac, which makes me 50% like Lofwyr, thus I´m prone to micromanagement (If only I could get the intelligence & power half of the dragon, too nyahnyah.gif).

So strategy would be as follows (besides the regular law stuff). The storries (birth-defects as well as others) should be covered from a second (NeoNET´s) angel. I.e. if the birth-defects where researched by the CDC, we should launch another research by the WHO (not the band nyahnyah.gif), to find other sorces for the birth defects (i.e. radioactive fallout from the Winternight EMPs or SURGE or poisoned Feed-Products, we have to be cautious what toes we tip on with this, though). Then we should start a media-campaign. Preferably not with NeoNET resources (to cover our involvement) but by bringing other corps (i.e. Horrizon) to cover the storries.

I need to know if Lanier can persuade Horrizon to help (or show me the oportunity, to do so myself). MCT (#1 in Entertainmant, prior to Horrizon´s rise) should be interested to help as well, as the fall-out from these cases could well lash back at their own activeties. Ares (very entertainment heavy especially in NA) would be great to get on our side, as well (maybe through the Samanthe-Nadia-conection, and my own contacts) though this would be harder (because of Vogel).

It is very interesting for me at this point, to know, who devotes resources to these issues and which do not.

So at this point, we need the roll for the SK injunction, and then sort of a strategic indication of what you will be doing for the next few weeks (the defects story?). And freely throw in IC posts whenever you are inclined - I know I will be.

I planed to solve the law suits before the SK issue, I just talked about the CorporateCourt-Stuff ICly, because I was allready talking to Miles. The first weekly rolls should be for the law suites against the small target companies. There we go (if my strategy brings any bonuses just add them).
I will just roll untill enough successes are accumulated, but there will still be some IC posts in between these weeks.
Beating existing lawsuits pending against the project's M&A targets, especially a media-heavy series of claims regarding horrible birth defects of poor Appalachian children. 20

[ Spoiler ]

So, unless Strategy nets me at least 2 hits, I will need 5 weeks. Deviding every dice pool through 7 and counting hits by the day would make it exactly 32 days, so I´d be done by Saturday Feb. 22th in the evening. Good that UCAS courts have a 7 day week wink.gif.

I eagerly await the peppering nyahnyah.gif (I´ll try to get up another IC by tomorrow).

By the way, did you notice that according to the new sourcebook (goodness knows when I will actually be able to get a copy of that thing) your old pal Rowena has now become the top Mafia figure in Seattle?

Wow, I didn´t know that! Who butchered the Buther?! Hope all the more I can get an amicable relationship to her agian, then (or at least keep Ian as a contact through the big Whyrm destroying my life).
MK Ultra
Sorry, I just noticed the IC post, I know what the roll is about now nyahnyah.gif

EDIT: Hehe, looks like I read your OOC post before the IC was posted and thuss replying without having read the IC. *theatralically whipes sweat from the fore head* Phooooh, I was already thinking I´m geting senile wink.gif

Anyway, I´m starting on my IC now, before I go to the movies. IIUYC, my aim is to postpone SK´s injunction only long enough for all the juristic troubles to be resolved (in ~1 month), is that right?
I probably won´t wrap up the whole thing yet (only 1h to go), but hope to post a second IC tonight.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (adamu)
Vegas and Mister Juan

What is the blue writing? Is that Etain's mindlink spell? If so, fine - just wondering exactly what the blue signified.

Yep
Abbandon
ooc i had a close call today with electricity. A power surge knocked my computer out and i thought i was screwed. I was gonna go over to a relatives to make sure you guys knew what happened but i didnt think i would get to play for a couple of days or worse until I got it fixed or a new one.

Luckily everything has worked out and im back. But if i just drop off the map its not cuz i flaked out. Its cuz im dead or my computer blew up hehe.
pragma
Sorry for the posting delay, busy day yesterday.

Assensing test for the kid, looking specifically for spell signatures or signs of mental manipulation
Int + Assensing # dice: 8 :: 6 5 3 5 5 3 6 4 -- 5 successes

Psychology test to determine if what the kid is saying sounds like its coming from him or somewhere else. Does it sound like a post-hypnotic suggestion?
Log + Psychology # dice: 7 :: 1 1 4 1 6 5 3 -- 2 successes

Perception test to see what there is to see, in great detail hopefully.
Int + Perception # dice: 7 :: 1 1 2 1 2 4 2 -- 0 successes

Not a glitch, thankfully enough, but this man can't see his way out of a cardboard box full of floodlights.

PS: Die roll format altered In order to avoid edits eating my spoilers and to facilitate use of a handy perl script.
JDragon
Adamu,

Just want to make sure I'm reading things correctly, Skinny & Angus are in a seperate room at this moment, correct?

Where I can try to speak quietly to Skinny and not be heard? (Barring augmented hearing)

Sorry for the stupid ?'s just want to make sure I know whats up before I post my resposen.

BTW - not even going to let me enjoy one night of being the champion huh? biggrin.gif

JD
adamu
JDragon

Yeah, little side room off the dressing room. It has a big stainless steel whirlpool bath thing and a troll-sized massage table. Skinny just wanted to have a moment of pseudo-privacy to break the sad news to you about poor Kameda - he didn't really even shut the door all the way - but no, barring extraordinary measures, no one should be able to hear you.
adamu
BlackHat

I guess new Seattle sourcebook specifies (actually, I think it might be in older books, too) that today's University of Washington is called University of Seattle in 2070. Makes sense I guess since there is no more Washington state. Just a little point of adamu-anality to keep in mind for future.
adamu
Dire Radiant

Your question about IC posting time frames is a very good one. It is one I have given a lot of thought to since getting involved in this medium not so long ago.

The best answer will seem like a cop-out: attentive players and GMs seem to have a way of sort of cueing each other on how they should best temporally leapfrog through the story. And so far in this game, that has been working very well. The fact is that it is a combination of intuition and explicit instruction.

For instance, so far in this game, I have given some players some very explicit instructions on what point to post until, like I recently asked Abbandon to post up until the moment his fight ended.

As for you - I mentioned that you were having dinner with your sister, assuming whatever you posted, you wouldn't go further than that. If you had skipped ahead to that, it would have been no problem - I could have had some other accident at the site that you were called away for. With my omnipotence, I can fix almost anything. Recently I sent pragma's character to buy dog food, where he was to have an encounter. But his post took him all the way back home again. No problem at all - I just ran it as a flashback.

So I am taking really long time to basically say - watch the cues, and don't worry about it too much - you really can't go wrong as long as you stay in character and we work together. And there will indeed eventually be OOC instructions as to how far to go.

For NOW though, looks like I need a climbing test. The guys you are trying to reach are about fourteen meters up. That gives you a strength + climbing (21, 1 combat turn) extended test. with a plus one die bonus for easily climbable surface. Let's see how quick you can get to them. I know how long the crane will take...and how long it will be before one or both fall.
DireRadiant
Climbing Extended test

Str 6 + Climbing 2 + Easy Climbing surface 1 = 9

4 5 3 5 6 3 6 6 5 = 6
3 6 3 6 4 1 3 6 1 = 3 (9)
3 1 1 2 4 1 4 4 2 = 0 (9)
3 6 2 4 3 2 6 3 4 = 2 (11)
2 1 6 2 5 3 1 4 1 = 2 (13)
2 2 2 6 2 3 5 5 3 = 3 (16)
3 5 2 5 3 3 3 2 5 = 3 (19)
1 6 3 6 5 2 5 6 4 = 5 (24)

8 combat turns
adamu
Cedric

Okay, first off, your reality filter won, so YOU will be making the next IC post (why should I ruin your Star Wars fun? I'll save my posting for when the intrusion countermeasures swarm you!)

We don't use the difficulty table on page 58 for this, we use node system + firewall for the threshhold. You have admin clearance after three hours. When you actually go in, no obvious alarms sound.

Now that you are in - please post IC for getting into the node, and then OOC me your actions inside.

Some important info on the network -
As I said, the network Alister sends you - publicly listed as Matsuki Precision Instruments - is a big black tinted glass block. The glass is easy enough to go right through, and on the other side of it is a mesh network of lots of nodes that are open to the public. Lots of PR and product catalog stuff - go to any RL site for a precision instruments maker (Seimitsu comes to mind), and you will find pages that correspond to all these nodes. There are a few staff running around, and a few customers. The actual NODE that Alister sent you to is at the center of the mesh network. It is accessible either from the public nodes or directly - Alister provided the wireless commcode. It is (except for your reality filter) another big black tinted glass structure within the first one, with the public nodes filling the space in between. Your reality filter will probably depict it as having lots of blast doors and deflector shields - looks like a good firewall, but no IC in sight.

By the way - I REALLY appreciate your working with me on such thorough detailing of rules page number references, rolls, your stats and your intentions. That's the kind of cooperation I was hoping for so we can make this matrix stuff playable. Thanks.
Ankle Biter
Electra
Saturday 5/10/70 15:21:00

Some kind of con or intimidation roll is probably in order. It is either fast talk or intimidation or possibly even negotiation I am trying here, just to keep the cop of my back for a while.

Con or intimidation roll. Cha 7 + 4/6 + 1 Kinesthics, lose last 2 dice if it is the lower pool. (14d6=55)

[3,4,5,5,5,2,3,4,1,5,3,5,5,5] 5-7 hits ought to do it.
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu)
BlackHat

I guess new Seattle sourcebook specifies (actually, I think it might be in older books, too) that today's University of Washington is called University of Seattle in 2070. Makes sense I guess since there is no more Washington state. Just a little point of adamu-anality to keep in mind for future.

Noted. biggrin.gif
Konsaki
Didn't expect that to happen...

Here are a bunch of rolls to see what Caittie can do...

[ Spoiler ]
MK Ultra
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 3 2006, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 3 2006, 07:21 AM)
BlackHat

I guess new Seattle sourcebook specifies (actually, I think it might be in older books, too) that today's University of Washington is called University of Seattle in 2070.  Makes sense I guess since there is no more Washington state.  Just a little point of adamu-anality to keep in mind for future.

Noted. biggrin.gif

Sorry, but You´re wrong, adamu. UoW and SU are two seperate institutions of higher learning, at least in the original Seattle sb and New Seattle (I don´t know about Runner Heavans). Both of them are situated in the Seattle/Downtown district. IIRC, the UoW is the old university, with a huge campus (University District), The SU is a smaller School with Ivy covered buildings, famoust for its arts and thaumaturgy programs.

EDIT: There is allso the Pacific University in Ft. Lewis and the Everette Community Collage.
adamu
MK - thanks - when I said "new Seattle sourcebook" I meant Runner Havens. Got the new naming of U-Dub from the same place I got that update on Rowena O'Malley - a review of Runner Havens on the SR4 board.
So just so we're straight, until one of us actually gets our grubby paws on Runner Havens, the big U-District campus that Adam Lear goes to school at is called University of Seattle.
JDragon
Adamu & MK,

I should have Runner Havens in hand by Friday or Saturday I hope, ordered it Monday at the local book store and they thought it might make it in by Friday.

I'll let you know when I have and will look up what you need.

JDragon

PS. I posted for Angus, not a lot, trying to explore my options with out commiting the NPC's to something they may not do.
JDragon
Angus "Rocky" Smith

Description...
Basics
2.6 Meters Tall, plus Horns
320KG
heavily muscled and obviously very physically fit.
Hair is Black and kept short most of the time to keep out of the way during fights and training. No facial hair or piercings.
Green deep eyes that seem a bit to innocent for a professional fighter.
His horns curve from the side of his head going almost straight up, which requires his to keep them short other wise he has even more problems getting around. Currently they are less than a 1/4 of a meter long.

When in the ring he wears solid black trunks.

When around town he has nice slacks and dress shirts.
For nights on the town he stays up with the current styles making sure to not wear the same outfit more than 2 or three time and always several weeks apart.

When out in public he can usually blend in as much a bigger than average troll can.

Have felling this will change once he "falls" and will post updated version at that point.

JDragon

MK Ultra
I have to check the SR homepage more often again wink.gif
Vegas
QUOTE (adamu)
BlackHat

I've got Runner Havens...

It is actually University of Seattle now

From the book (p.104)

"University of Seattle (formerly Washington) students appear
to be the major life form of the University District, scurrying busily
back and forth between their apartments, bars, bookstores, coffeehouses,
and classes."
adamu
Ankle Biter

Dude, as it turns out, that roll was a critical success. But I will say it was by a pure fluke of the cop's dice. The fact is, when towel-clad little elf girls try to intimidate groups of armed cops in hot pursuit of someone, the social test modifiers tend to stack pretty heavily against the elf girls.
Turned out to be no problem this time, though.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
pragma

the boy's aura - no cyber, no magic at all either in him or on him, emotional state as is obvious from not getting his toy, no toxins or diseases, no maladies at all except a toothache
I don't know whether you can get mental manipulation signs from assensing, but...

based on your training in psychology, way he looked at you for a second and then just recited those lines looked to you like a textbook case of post-hypnotic suggestion

obviously no joy on your mundane perception test.

Grandma looks like she's about the take the brat by the ear and drag him out of the store

joggers heading into the parking lot

Next IC post is yours
adamu
Abbandon

Dude, sweet extended post. Would be a shame to waste it. I would cut and paste it into the IC post myself except for the sad fact that I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW!! Been trying to make that work for months now. And don't bother trying to teach me - I am just hopelessly computer incompetent.

Anyway, it would be great if you cut and pasted it in yourself, or wrote another one - whatever you prefer.

But please include the following points that I was going to put in my brief IC post -
* George does NOT take kindly to your very generous words of encouragement and consolation. He pulls away from you so vociferously that for a second you think he's actually going to resume the fight then and there.

* As for the boos you mentioned, it's fine if you don't care about them, but note that you get lots of mean gang signs from the Los Locos in attendance. Signs that your gang knowledge tells you basically mean, not to put too fine a point on it, "We are going to kill you."

Other than those points everything in you post looks great.

Not only that, but nothing is going to happen from me for a week or so of game time. You can either just end the night of the fight and I will pick up on the next action date, or else include a sort of 'time passing' post summarizing your life over the next several days. Whatever you prefer.

Finally, I absolutely did not disregard your statement that your fights were not illegal. I specified in my post that it was a SEMI-LEGAL fight club. I also said that Rain was a GRAY MARKET bar. These are the same thing, and perhaps it's best if I just explain a bit of my thinking about this aspect of the SR world so we are on the same page.

I think the gray market is a huge part of Seattle's economy and its people's lives. In a world where the only 'rights' anyone really has is the one they or their affiliations can buy, 'legal' really just means 'financially well established'.

To oversimplify -
SINners are legal.
Thieves and murderers are illegal.

SINless people who otherwise work and have lives and families are semi-legal. They live in a legal gray area. It is not illegal to not have a SIN. But neither do they have legal recognition.
Likewise - JDragon/Angus's fight was 'legal' - it had the boxing commission and who knows what all corp media machinery behind it.
And without all that official monetary and organizational sanction, no fight will be legal.
On the other hand, an underground fight club where people slash each other to death with cyberspurs is totally illegal, and the cops will actively try to shut it down (or at least take bribes).
Your fight club is not really breaking any laws, except maybe zoning regulations. They just don't have the kind of big corp backing that would get them 'rights'.

In our world - think of illegal aliens, hippies selling 'handmade' stuff at Saturday markets, and survivalists who do everything in cash to stay under 'Big Brother's' radar as examples of gray market economy.
Abbandon
To copy/paste You just hold down the left mouse button and highlight the stuff you want to move and then you let up and then hit control+C. Then you put the cursor where you want the stuff to go and hit control+V to paste it.

You cant edit other peoples posts to paste stuff if thats what you meant about not knowing how.

editing my posts and working on the time passage post.
-------------------------------------

Oh about the grey area. Just to explain the way i think about things in shadowrun. I look at things purely in terms of security.

Sinless wouldnt make it very far trying to go shopping at a mall in an arcology. Someone with a fake sin could go shopping in the mall and but it would be risky to have any run ins with the law. THey might be outted or they might pass inspection. However if they tried to get a job with lone star or a corp or tried to cross a border just off their fake sin they would be pretty screwed.

I was thinking that Warren would be able to fight in normal venues but not at the level where he would draw any kind of sports media attention like highlights on a sportschannel or pay per view fights where his background might get dug into.

A tent with some sec guys out front and lots of gang members around doesnt sound like anyone is checking ID's and SIN's.
Cedric Rolfsson
Sorry for the delay in posting my hacking episode, I'm writing it in Word and will transpose since its such a long post. I'm going for detail. I'll try and get most of it up later today with the second portion on Monday.
JDragon
Cedric,

just read the first part of you hacking IC Post.

That was great. biggrin.gif grinbig.gif

But who doesn't like Star Wars?

All, Ive really enjoyed reading all the mini games going on and thnk this will make the characters and the game much more interseting for all of us. Keep up the great stories.

And a big thanks to Adamu for taking on this massive task and keeping it moving faster than most "normal" games.

JD
adamu
MK Ultra

Okay, your ideas on some good strategic angles were good enough for the extra successes to get your extended test down to four weeks, so ending on Feb 17. Now, if you take advantage of this trip with the senators, you'll get enough info 'on the ground' and enough insight into Billings' thinking to shave another week off, and have a plan made by Feb 10. Your call.
To clarify, the lawsuit is originating in Georgia. If it crosses over the border into Kentucky, it could complicate things considerably, and possibly bleed over into your anti-trust cases, making them harder. The sooner you get a plan off the ground, the better chance you will have of heading that off.

And if you go, there will be some roleplaying in Kentucky. And no, you can't send a flunky - this is a personal invitation from the senator.

On another topic-
game mechanics of your extended tests.
Those tests assume twelve-hour workdays. If you used you sleep regulator, you could conceivably turn those into 18-hour days, for a 50% dice bonus. You'll have to drive your staff like slaves, but they live for that crap. Note, however, that while your sleep regulator will keep you going physically, there is a difference between just being awake for 21 hours and WORKING for 21 hours - very different stress levels on the mind and body. So if you go with that option, it could come at some cost....

Also, your multitasking ability - if you choose to apply it, you could work on a second extended test simultaneously. The same caveat regarding long-term stress, however, applies.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (JDragon)
And a big thanks to Adamu for taking on this massive task and keeping it moving faster than most "normal" games.

JD

I have to second that. Great commitment!
pragma
Con test to get at the ladies son:
Cha + Con + 2(Plausible evidence) + 2(Favorable outcome [not sure if that's the right number] # dice: 13 :: 1 4 4 1 4 5 2 1 3 6 5 2 3 -- 3 successes

Mind probe force 4 for any facts about me, the cask or any recent strangers
Magic + Spellcasting # dice: 9 :: 1 2 3 4 3 6 4 1 6 -- 2 successes

Drain
Cha + Wil # dice: 12 :: 6 4 2 1 1 5 2 2 1 2 2 2 -- 2 successes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012