Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
MK Ultra
Sorry, had not read the IC untill after my last OOC, the blondy answer is fully sufficient.

After I found out, what the Hispano/Troll conversation is about, I will stop listening to it life, but keep recording for later of course.

Analyzing hidden nodes (buying 3 hits) -looking for Firewall, System and Volume of Wireless Activity- in the following order:
Afro-American, Hispanic 1 & 2, (criminals, though only if I can´t find out, what the bartender is nervous about - see below).

7 hits to get information from the bartender - of course you may have to subtract some for modifires.
5 hits to find out, why the bartender is nervous (including going back in the recordings and filtering out, what he was talking about, as good as I can).
If I can pinpoint the ork as the sorce -even if I don´t know what he said- I´ll analyze his comlink (suspending any other matrix tasks).
Depending on the matrix perception results, I might want to try and force-exploit my way into the ork´s comlink on the fly, but I´d have to know the ratings to decide that.

[ Spoiler ]

Also a question - since Devine Virus seems to have done so multiple times, I supose it is possible to use pictures (other modalities too, I guess) as ques for a data search, just like text based stuff (maybe with some dice or TH mod), correct?

EDIT: Just noticed that PM, working on it... But this will take some time - more then I have left tonight, sorry frown.gif
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Mar 19 2008, 05:02 PM) *
Analyzing hidden nodes (buying 3 hits) -looking for Firewall, System and Volume of Wireless Activity- in the following order:
Afro-American, Hispanic 1 & 2, (criminals, though only if I can´t find out, what the bartender is nervous about - see below).

ADAMU - Black woman's hidden node is Firewall 6, System 5, and negligible wireless activity ("negligible" means no more than any commlink has when it is turned on just from passively reading other AROs and so on).
Hispanic guy #1 is 3, 3, and fairly busy
Hispanic guy #2 is 6, 6, and not busy

7 hits to get information from the bartender - of course you may have to subtract some for modifires.
5 hits to find out, why the bartender is nervous (including going back in the recordings and filtering out, what he was talking about, as good as I can).
If I can pinpoint the ork as the sorce -even if I don´t know what he said- I´ll analyze his comlink (suspending any other matrix tasks).
Depending on the matrix perception results, I might want to try and force-exploit my way into the ork´s comlink on the fly, but I´d have to know the ratings to decide that.

[ Spoiler ]

Also a question - since Devine Virus seems to have done so multiple times, I supose it is possible to use pictures (other modalities too, I guess) as ques for a data search, just like text based stuff (maybe with some dice or TH mod), correct?

ADAMU - you can base a data search on anything that is digitally rendered. Obviously if all you have to go on is a single image, the search will be slower and possibly less fruitful.

EDIT: Just noticed that PM, working on it... But this will take some time - more then I have left tonight, sorry frown.gif

About the conversation with the bartender -
[ Spoiler ]

Okay - MK - since you have not yet ICed, I will leave it to you to put all of the above findings into your next IC post. Looking forward to it.
adamu
Wow - things moving along swimmingly.

As of now, I am using my mythical powers to impose a time-wall at the 20:55:00 mark.

I know that at least MK has an IC post he wants to make prior to Naguel's sidling up to him, hand on shoulder.

So the IC will not move forward in time until MK at least makes his post. If other people want to do anything up until that time, now is the time to get a post up. If you are cool with a wait-and-see stance, that is totally cool too.

AFTER MK's IC post catches things up, THEN we will work on whatever issues arise attendant to and subsequent to Naguel's approach to Krait.

As things progress - one of the GM's most important tasks is to make sure people have as close as possible to the same picture in their heads. That's not really possible, even in table-top, but I shall try to at least avoid major misconceptions.

So, we have had two good IC descriptions of the bar - let me lay it out one more time OOC, with game terms details.

The place is dimly lit - count as partial light conditions.

The four main walls are 20m x 20m. The bar and stage are inside that, whatever's on the other side of doors (offices, bathrooms, etc) is outside that 20x20 square.

South wall - front door.

East wall - southern 10 meters is bar. Behind the bar is a door that leads to an office. There is another door that leads to a storeroom.

Glen the bouncer troll is at the north end of the bar. The twins are near the south end. Near the center is Krait, across from the bartender. Until the time-wall, Naguel is just south of Glen. At the time of the time-wall, Nagual moves to just south of Krait.

There are many other people also at bar all along it - it is pretty crowded due to the spectacle of the attractive blond woman and the hopes that she will remove more clothing. It is obvious that a few of the lusters near the south end are a bit distracted by the elven beauty with the too-skimpy tank top.

East wall up in north corner are the billiard tables and virtuo games. The bald skinny guy with the Rambo knife in his boot is still playing there. On the east wall here are mens and womens restrooms.

West wall is dominated by the chicken-wire-cage-stage, where a few drunken dockworkers - mostly orks, watch the lazy/drugged naked ork woman. Beside the stage is a door that leads to a dressing room. Way up in the NW corner is an unmarked emergency exit.

The whole rest of the area is filled with tables. Three skanky waitresses circulate, essentially exchanging cleavage for tips. The "criminal" table is over in the SW corner. The table with the black drunk woman is pretty much in the center of the room.

As noted, the place is 80% male, and everyone is a dockworker or acts like they are. Probably at least 50% are armed with concealed blades or maybe handguns. Half human, most of the rest orks, with a few trolls and dwarfs. The only elves are the PCs.

Any questions, let me know.

And if anyone wants to earn karma - a map would be keen. I think the description is crystal clear, but a map puts it all together so much better.
BlueRondo
Adamu, can Carla or St. Pierre notice any distinctive markings on the suzuki (license plate, decals, etc.)

Also, does Carla have any view into Humpty's Dump via a window or something?
adamu
QUOTE (BlueRondo @ Mar 20 2008, 07:59 AM) *
Adamu, can Carla or St. Pierre notice any distinctive markings on the suzuki (license plate, decals, etc.)

ADAMU - you can at least see the license plate. With your photographic memory, you will easily also know it if you see it again just by whatever minor details it has. So if you want to be able to recognize it in the future, cool. But you see nothing that tells you anything about who it belongs to or where it's fron.

Also, does Carla have any view into Humpty's Dump via a window or something?

ADAMU - no windows.

Vegas
Yes, I'm a karma whore..

Humpty's Dump (at the bottom of the page)

Hope that's what you had in mind Adamu.

I can edit in locations of PC's and NPC's if necessary or if it's wanted.
Vegas
Mindlink, Force 5
Magic (5) + Spellcasting (5) = 10 dice +1TN
[5] 4 4 2 2 [5] 1 [5] [5] [5] Hits:5

Drain (5/2) +1 = 3
Charisma (5) + Willpower (4) = 9 dice +1 TN
1 3 [6] [5] 3 [6] [6] 1 [6] Hits:5
No Drain

Should put her at a -2 for all Actions +1TN as well for a little while longer at least.
MK Ultra
Buying hits to decrypt (p. 225; Decrypt+Response (TH Encryption * 2, 1 CT); 2 per per combat turn), should be done in 18 seconds or less.
3 hits to intercept wireless signals (p. 225; Electronic Warfare+Sniffer (3)).

The 'advance warning' in the IC is just fluff, I don´t really need it for how I´m planing to handle the troll. If I wouldn´t notice untill Basurto slaps my shoulder, that should still be enough barning time, to react - unless Big Glan does 'pop up and shoot' with a quickdraw.
When the Trog moves to me, I´m going to do something silly, I´ll try to intimidate the troll nyahnyah.gif But of course, I´ve got an ace in the hole wink.gif
My punshline will be: "Wouldn´t want your recorded conversation sent to that table" (jerking head towards criminal table)
If that´s not enough, I´d raise the stacks and say: "Really want to mess with Evil J´s business?"

5 hits on Intimidation (resist with Wil+Intimidation, p. 120 ...).
In case I first have to get him to listen to me:
4 hits on a Leadership Roll, to make him listen before he kicks my ass (resist with Wil+Leadership, p. 120 ...).

You will have to aply mods of course.

[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: Just noticed that Leadership would actually be 5 hits, too, if Crisis Management is applicable to support getting someone to listen to me. Rolled the supplementary skill dice after the original post and forgot to edit the stuff above the spoiler, sorry.
adamu
Wooo ya!

You guys are all making my day.

Resolution will have to wait for tonight, as I have to check and double check all the rules and die rolls for all PVP action, to be completely fair. And still waiting for one requested roll by PM.

But Vegas darling - thank you so much for the swell map! That's 2 karma headed your way. (And Vegas' karma whoredom reminds me - all my players are way overdue for RP/activity points - if you don't get PMs by the end of next week, remind me.)

Now, for the map - there are some teensy tinsy discrepancies from my description, but ignore those. Treat the actual map as gospel - EXCEPT that there are doors to the little boys' and girls' rooms on the east wall north of the bar.

So if we were to number the bar stools from the top down, the troll is at #1, Naguel at #2 but then #7, Krait at #6, and the twins at # 11 and 12.

The "criminal table" is in the southwest corner, and the African-American woman of interest is at the second table straight north from the front doors. Rambo-knife-in-boot skinny bald guy is playing at the southernmost of the pool tables.
Vegas
Sorry for the discrepancies Adamu, I humbly apologize nyahnyah.gif

I didn't see the boys/girls rooms in your OOC recap so I didn't think to add them. That'll teach me, hmmm?

If you want me to mark stuff (people's locations, NPC's at least) and add in the doors to the bathrooms it's doable, really smile.gif
Divine Virus
Touche, MK, touche.
MK Ultra
Trying my best to keep up with you biggrin.gif

Just wanted to note, that I edited the Timestamp of my IC to 20:55:00, as it was intended to be. Sorry about that, it was very late last night sleepy.gif

EDIT: Also forgot the 5th success for Leadership from Crisis-Management In case that´s aplicable. It was in the spoiler but I forgot to add it to the total above.
adamu
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 20 2008, 11:31 PM) *
Sorry for the discrepancies Adamu, I humbly apologize nyahnyah.gif

ADAMU - there is soooo no need for apology - the ONLY reason I even mentioned them was to avoid anyone getting tripped up by not knowing which was correct.

I didn't see the boys/girls rooms in your OOC recap so I didn't think to add them. That'll teach me, hmmm?

If you want me to mark stuff (people's locations, NPC's at least) and add in the doors to the bathrooms it's doable, really smile.gif

ADAMU - well, it sure wouldn't suck - but really only when you have time - I know how busy you are with various DS stuff, not to mention real life and other such distractions.

adamu
@MK Ultra

[ Spoiler ]

Vegas
@Adamu

A little unsure of exactly which table the African American woman is at. "Second table straight north of the doors" is that all the way up by the pool tables, or just to the left or right of the doors?

If you can let me know I can finish updating the graphic, I've got it done except for that tidbit (which is important)

Thanks! smile.gif
adamu
Draw a line straight north from the left (west) doorjamb of the front (south) doors. The second table it intersects is the one (it's sort of near the middle of the room).

Sorry to be so clumsy with this sort of thing.
Vegas
No that's the one I thought it was, I just didn't want to assume and have it be up by the pool tables nyahnyah.gif

Not that it would have been hard to correct, but it would be nice to "get it right" on the first try smile.gif

I'll get the new map up in a few seconds smile.gif
adamu
Hmm - maybe we are not on the right wavelength still - but you know what, she really can be at any table, just so we all know the same one. And thanks to you, we soon will!
adamu
@MK - the troll grabbing your arm is actually all fluff - it happens if you do not resist. If you choose to try to avoid being grabbed, just roll the standard reaction (+ dodge or whatever if you want), and if you succeed, then he grabbed you but you slipped away and no game effect. Either way you might lessen his grip...

So please let me know if you resist or not. If you do resist, then after the resist roll, I will need initiative before further actions.

EVERYONE ELSE -
IF you plan on doing something RIGHT NOW - roll initiative and declare.

IF you plan to watch for even a few moments to see what happens, just don't do anything yet, and very soon everyone will have their chance to post.
Vegas
New Map's up.

Hope that's what you wanted Adamu smile.gif
adamu
African-American woman perfect.

Of course now the troll is by Krait.

And I am obligated to pick this nit, since it was clearly declared by a player - Naguel is south of Krait, between him and the other two elves.

HATE to be picky - you are a true angel.

The whole map really is beautiful and is a huge help to everyone.
Vegas
All fixed!

Swapped colours for Krait and Naguel. and moved the Troll.
adamu
Super double extra thank yous!
Vegas
No problem, it's relatively easy to do with layers smile.gif
adamu
Relatively easy for YOU. ME? I have no idea what you even just said!
Vegas
It's ok.. I still respect you as a GM biggrin.gif

BTW, Etain's gonna hold her action for the time being... in case the proverbial poop really hits the fan.
Mister Juan
Initiative
(Increased Reflexes, Force 2, 2 hits)
Rolls: 4,3,4,3,3,4,2,4 = 0 hits
Initiative:8
# of IP: 2

Conall will stay right where he is and will not do a single thing unless Krait asks for his help. If things really seem to get out of hand, he might make a move. He MIGHT nyahnyah.gif
What he will do in the mean time, is get ready in case he's called upon. I'll use one simple action to “Ready Weapon�, by having him stick one of his hand ins his jacket to slip into a shock glove.
Mister Juan
Double post.
MK Ultra
No resistance, as long as it´s just man-handling and no skull-cracking.

However, it would be good to know, if this counts as the first round of combat -since he actually attacks me with a graple, even though I don´t chose to resist- for the combat paralysis quality. If not I should keep my -out of combat only- extra free action.

Since everybody seems to stay passive at the moment -unless DV wants to interrupt as long as everything´s going according to his plan- I´m going to make a 3 seconds IC - just talking and prepairing messages.

P.S.: The PM was all cool and resonable to me - the books really suck on that topic wink.gif
Divine Virus
I will let everything continue to unfold. Though I will roll initiative, just in case it becomes needed.

Initiative
3 2 3 2 3 [6] 4 4 [6] [6] 1 [6]= 4 hits
Initiative 16
# of IP: 2

EDIT: I hate to nit pick too, but I just looked at the map, and I wouldn't want to be sitting right beside Krait. Instead I would be the 2nd seat north of the twins (one empty between Naguel and them, two empty between Naguel and Krait).
adamu
@MK - all those actions are possible while you are being dragged out the door.

@DV - on rereading your IC post, I see you are correct about the seating. But no need to change the map now, since Krait is outside the bar, which is much better than a couple of seats away!

@Everyone - whatever happens now - previous initiatives are no longer relevant. Back to normal time until something else wacky happens. Everyone free to post after I get my "Krait 86ed" post up.

EDIT - MK - counted as first round of combat, so combat paralysis over.
Though unless you try to kick him in the nuts in the alley, the combat is now ended, so we are back to the beginning...combat paralysis will still count next time something happens.
adamu
Going to be computer inaccessible probably until Tuesday night my time. Have fun thinking of what to do and posting it. See you then.
Divine Virus
I found a nice little resource for you all. It is THE single most essential Shadowrun supplement.
The Guide to Paranoia.

In other news, I just remembered a dream I had last night that the people at the criminal's table were Badger (from Firefly) and all his cronies. If you haven't watched Firefly, and thus don't know who Badger is, watch it. Now.
BlueRondo
Holy crap, I'm gone for a day and everything goes nuts and back to normal again.

Adamu, about how far is the van from the front door/the alley Krait was taken? About a block away, I think you said?
MK Ultra
Hm, dumb trogs, always going through with instructions, even if the target turns out less easy then they requested (no objection, just gruffy grumbles grumbling about wink.gif)

Did a Composure Check just for kicks (5 hits).
And even though you didn´t request it, an Intimidation resistance, just in case (8 hits) - please check if modifires are ok (there are only 4 mods possible for intimidation targets, of which I thought 2 would likely aply).

Also an Negotiation attempt -in case you need one- for my ultimatum (5 hist, only to get him take his hands off, which shouldn´t be that anoying to him) but included no mods at all, since there are a ton of them possible, so you´d have to do that - also you might decide that this isn´t Negotiation (Diplomacy), but Leadership (Persuasion) or even Intimidation (Mental) - my dice would be the same, but his dice and the aplicable modifires may varry. Punch by punch, the social skill battle goes on biggrin.gif.

[ Spoiler ]

Is the ally a dead end, as far as I can tell without looking at the map (remember I had a look at it, just a minute ago, or so)?
adamu
QUOTE (Divine Virus @ Mar 21 2008, 08:42 PM) *
I found a nice little resource for you all. It is THE single most essential Shadowrun supplement.
The Guide to Paranoia.

In other news, I just remembered a dream I had last night that the people at the criminal's table were Badger (from Firefly) and all his cronies. If you haven't watched Firefly, and thus don't know who Badger is, watch it. Now.

DV - that's a sweet link. Serbitar rocks. Thank you.

As for Firefly, I actually own the whole DVD set, but my region-free player is broken, so I am waiting until I get a new player to watch them. At which point I will indeed gladly follow your command!
adamu
QUOTE (BlueRondo @ Mar 21 2008, 11:03 PM) *
Holy crap, I'm gone for a day and everything goes nuts and back to normal again.

Adamu, about how far is the van from the front door/the alley Krait was taken? About a block away, I think you said?

Yeah, a block. Say around 50 meters. You will see the progress of the two gangers in my upcoming IC post. Since you say you might flash the headlights, should I assume you have moved to the front seat? Driver's? Shotgun?

Just to be sure you know, Georges and Padre have commlinks (you only have Georges' number) but they are not on the team network.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Mar 24 2008, 11:07 AM) *
Hm, dumb trogs, always going through with instructions, even if the target turns out less easy then they requested (no objection, just gruffy grumbles grumbling about wink.gif)

ADAMU - actually, I expected your plan to work. It's just that sometimes really bad die rolls happen to really good people.

Is the ally a dead end, as far as I can tell without looking at the map (remember I had a look at it, just a minute ago, or so)?

ADAMU - no - you are on the west side of the place, so looking to the north you can actually see the NW corner of the building, just around the corner from which is the emergency exit - which is where you figure HE is headed ---- see upcoming IC post.

MK Ultra
Awh, I had such an evil plan B - but now that EJ entered the scene, I´ll have to resort to plan A again, I guess wink.gif

Just wanted to let you know, that my next IC wont be before tomorrow night my time...
Divine Virus
I am waisted from exhaustion right now, so it will be about 12 hours before I get a post up, give or take. Naguel needs to wait a little to make sure his mechanisms kick off anyways.
Mister Juan
I'm alive. Just fantastically busy.
I should have a few minutes to whip something out this afternoon.

Adamu
If you need/want to post before I've got anything up, I leave Conall in your capable hands wink.gif You know how he is, so I trust you 100%.

MK Ultra
Everybody, please remember, that wireless devices linked to your coms won´t work in teammode, this means no contact lenses od wifi earbuds, only wired or touchlinked I/O-devices!
Vegas
@MK

Then what's the point of Team Mode? Since Etain won't sit there with her commlink in front of her face and be constantly texting messages, or making open commcalls via team mode or whatever. Especially not when EJ walks into the bar and is eventually spotted by her or Conall.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, I just don't "get it" is all.
adamu
Can't that be gotten around just by having "team mode" as one linked device on your subscriber list, and earbuds, etc, as other, separate linked devices on your subscriber list?
Would require the commlink user to be a bit more active in managing things, having to have their commlink physically buzz them with an incoming from team mode, then commanding it to route that message over to other subscribed devices - sort of a half-assed manual cut-out that we can just assume people do?

That's my thought, but then we all know how bad I am with the tech stuff.
adamu
@BlueRondo, since your stated intention is to be unseen as you watch from the van, an Infiltration roll would not hurt.
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Mar 26 2008, 07:21 AM) *
I'm alive. Just fantastically busy.
I should have a few minutes to whip something out this afternoon.

Adamu
If you need/want to post before I've got anything up, I leave Conall in your capable hands wink.gif You know how he is, so I trust you 100%.

Thanks for the heads-up on availability, MJ. Same to DV and MK. It not only helps me decide when I need to step in, it helps the other players know when they might need to step up.

For right now I think the following people are "up to bat" -

TRAFFIC COP STUFF

Everyone is currently at :45 or :46 seconds.

It will take some time for DV's machinations to get into motion, and he said he's waiting on that.
And it will be a few seconds before EJ enters the bar.
BR posted.

So right now we are mostly waiting on MK - since he will doubtless relay key info within the next second or two.
Once he does, I will probably do an IC post of some things, but don't wait on me if y'all have things you want to do in the space of five seconds or so.

And of course either of the twins could reply to Carla, or wait and get a better idea of what's happening first. Whatever feels right.
Vegas
Well I'm kinda waiting to hear MK's response before I have Etain respond to Carla, since apparently she's not going to "see" the incoming message. Also she's not wearing her AR gloves and I've stated IC'ly she doesn't want to pull out a commlink to "talk biz" or sit at the bar "texting" especially now that she's got eyes on Vanity.

Also, can I get clarification here? When people are doing messages between one another, are we assuming they're text, or are they voice? If people are doing either can we switch things up so that colours are different for different types of communication? Like yellow for text, orange for voice, or something similar? Really it probably doesn't make a big difference, but I don't want to post that I'm "seeing" messages on an image link when they're being piped via her earbuds nyahnyah.gif
Divine Virus
I think multiple colours would be more confusing then they are worth. I would presume that unless people are hooked up with a subvocal mic, or the communication occurs between two people with Direct Neural Interface, then it is text. If the person has a subvocal, then it would be speech, and for two people with DNI it would just be thought. I think we can use the context to assume how it appears, and ask for clarification if it is absolutely essential.

Naguel is waiting to see whether the message he sent gets a bite, and whether St. Pierre goes in to reinforce Krait. Once he sees how either of those happen, or EJ enters the bar, he can proceed. As it stands, he is in limbo.

adamu
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 26 2008, 10:24 AM) *
Well I'm kinda waiting to hear MK's response before I have Etain respond to Carla, since apparently she's not going to "see" the incoming message. Also she's not wearing her AR gloves and I've stated IC'ly she doesn't want to pull out a commlink to "talk biz" or sit at the bar "texting" especially now that she's got eyes on Vanity.

ADAMU - It's totally fine to wait to hear from Krait. You probably would be anyway, and he will probably be shooting a message at you on his headware comm before you could actually send a message to Carla anyway. As for seeing the message, why not assume that our currently quiet Conall is using the method I suggested above to watch the traffic, and you of course would also see it through your mindlink?

Also, can I get clarification here? When people are doing messages between one another, are we assuming they're text, or are they voice? If people are doing either can we switch things up so that colours are different for different types of communication? Like yellow for text, orange for voice, or something similar? Really it probably doesn't make a big difference, but I don't want to post that I'm "seeing" messages on an image link when they're being piped via her earbuds nyahnyah.gif

ADAMU - this is something I have been thinking of bringing up for a long time. I also hate not being able to tell if people are using voice or text communications.
So from now on, can we keep doing text in yellow, and go to orange for voice, please. (Aqua seems to be taken for telepathy!)

adamu
QUOTE (Divine Virus @ Mar 26 2008, 10:47 AM) *
I think multiple colours would be more confusing then they are worth. I would presume that unless people are hooked up with a subvocal mic, or the communication occurs between two people with Direct Neural Interface, then it is text. If the person has a subvocal, then it would be speech, and for two people with DNI it would just be thought. I think we can use the context to assume how it appears, and ask for clarification if it is absolutely essential.

Woops - cross-post!

I agree with the rainbow problem, DV - some games use, like, eight colors. Too hard! But this has been nagging me for a while, too, so we will add just the one color, as noted above.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012