Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
adamu
Abbandon

Missed the bad luck - freebie for you.

Missed the second attack penalty - freebie for you until now. Your pointing it out is very much appreciated.

He is silent because he is fighting. So far, despite your being unarmed, you have stalemated him in personal combat. It's a complex action to do melee, which only leaves him a free, which is only good for a quick phrase anyway. Plus, if he used it, he would not have a free action to intercept you if you try to pass him - in roleplaying terms he just doesn't want to waste crucial attention and lung power on chatting.
Or he just doesn't have anything to say.
Or he doesn't speak English.
Or....
Or....

He would love to push you back, but just as you can't get past him without risking an intercept, he can't push you back without scoring a hit per the knockdown rules.

I have reread the gymnastics dodge rules, and I believe you can only use gymnastics for dodge if you declare full defense. Won't matter for you since you can block with just as many dice....

He gets initiative.
Misses you.
You pop him a good one in the nose, make it bleed, but he drives you back and does not seem to be slowed down much.
His counter clips you a good one - four boxes after your soak.

Go ahead and post IC for that. but hold off on the OOC cuz I'm gonna do an IC after yours.
adamu
pragma

For the edge reroll, I apply it to the whole roll, so I rerolled the failed spell defense die, but no joy. You took six boxes stun.

Your spell - you were sure you nailed him - caught him flatfooted (he glitched the resist) but a bird flew right past your face at the critical moment and blocked your LOS (he countered his glitch with edge). Note that you had minus two dice for your wound by then, and minus two for his cover in the aura of the tree, but none of those were your hits, so your spell went through. Obviously no drain.

Next pass his spell overwhelmed you and you took eight more boxes of stun. That will mean some overflow into physical for you. Next thing you know you are in the CIA parking and meds are slapping stim patches on you with a worried Tim and Eric (about you, about the nuke, about your family?) in the background and your comm shows Marsden calling you.

You can post IC.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (adamu)
Are you looking for something in particular as you scan the check-ins for Andy's shift?  Let me know if you need info.

Harriet - Third Wave

What would be useful in scanning Andy's shift schedules is identifying who is working with Andy while Harriet is not around. These people might know a bit more on what's happening, if anything. This is to cover both the question of Bliss, and the source of what appears to be construction site dust on Andy.

On a metagaming level I know there won't be much progress with this, but IC it's the first step in figuring out what Andy did when Harriet wasn't with him.

Now who shall Morris be today?
BlackHat
Adam - Third Wave

Looking through the contact lists, which I assume are pretty benign and don't include Shwen or Shwen's parents... instead I'll look for contact information for Alfonse or Harper Balducci - since having family in one's personal commlink would be normal.

Data Search + Browse:
[ Spoiler ]

Then I want to check for current open connections. Not sure what sort of a roll it is to find them (Matrix perception? data-search? no-roll-since-I-am-security-access? its probably 9 dice no matter what ) ERpppp.... hold the matrix! I forgot to be using a +2 dice mod for being full VR. Oh well, luckly it hasn't been too important yet. After locating the connections, its probably an analyze roll to try to tell what kind of a connection it is, or who it is connected to.

Electronics+Browse to find connections (?):
[ Spoiler ]

And probably an Electronics+Analyze to analyze the connections (?):
[ Spoiler ]

Let me know if you need more/different rolls. I am at work, and away from my rulebook, but I can still access a web-based die-roller.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

UAAAAAAAAAAAHH, Louisa is a MANTIDE SPIRIT!!!! O.o

nyahnyah.gif

Is she an official member of the Empowerment Coalition? Iīm quiet sure, rumors about it have been mentioned somewhere in the shadowtalk and even if not, I myself suspected they where bugs even before I had access to the adventure moduls that confirmed it, the moment I read that the Republican candidate in 57 was slaughtered by one and than replaced by his running mate Anna Panchick (sp?) - a female, republican ork wink.gif.

Anyway, besides this, thatīs awsome! I have included the bonus dice in my ooc notes. Iīm going to post IC once or twice in the next 35 hours or so. Just so you have a heads up, I plan to (baring any unforseen circumstances) handle the Sierra issue next (Iīll further elaborate my strategy later). My strategy will basically be, to produce precedents with extrateritorial enclaves allready existing in the apalachians and elsewhere, that would later aply to all of NeoNETīs apalachian holdings. This way, I hope to gain the leverage of extrateritoriality, while media coverage is still low an NeoNETīs plans stay secret as long as possible. The implementation phase (or a second implementation phase) might off cause take place later, when the plans are further down the line.
During this quest Iīd like to include non-NeoNET holdings of other extrateritorial corps, mainly Ares -to entangle Vogel in a conflict of interests- but allso others like MCT, to gain their later support against SK. Also Iīll try to further damage UCAS Steel. An alliance with Horrizon might be possible as they probably have some issues with Sierra in the CFS (Sierras base) concerning the rebuilding after the tidl wave. Louisa might as well become a problemin this quest, so my guys are set to further search for skelletons in her closet.

P.S.: I saw Lord of War this weekend. Verry fitting nyahnyah.gif I liked the way, Yuri compartmentalized his life and this seams very appropriate to John smile.gif
Cedric Rolfsson
Jonathan - Third Wave

Adamu, I've read you message from a couple days ago. I just got back this morning from my mini-vacation and am ready to post. Do you want to post the IC part for Rafael handing over the programs and then I'll go from there? I'll toss the rolls up now for the Decrpyt and Defuse if necessary and then if you'd like you can post IC all the way up to the results.

Rules question, the book says a decryption uses the Decrypt + Response extended test vs. encryption program x 2 per combat turn? Is that only while doing it on the fly? I figure this would take some kind of skills test from the hacker, but it appears that this is purely a mechanical function done between the equipment and the program and the skills or abilities of the hacker are irrelevant.

Decrypt + Response Extended test p. 225
[ Spoiler ]

There's a bunch of successes if that's not enough let me know.
Defuse Data Bomb requires a Matrix Perception test but I've done that already, just in case I need another.

Computer + Analyze
[ Spoiler ]

Defuse + Hacking
[ Spoiler ]

I think that's all the OOC rolls I would need. Go ahead and post IC for me if you'd like I have no problems with that as I like your writing or post IC as far and you'd like and I'll go from there.
Abbandon
First Wave, Warren

Ok i understand what you mean about not using gymnastics for normal defense. Just to double check with you. Can i go on full defense and roll the following??:

vs melee = reaction + unarmed + gymnastics
vs ranged = reaction + gymnastics

I made turn 3's IC post and am awaiting your IC post.
pragma
First Wave, Gregory

Going to be away from computer until Saturday.

Planning to torture the hell out of Atiq using the same strategy outlined earlier regardless what Jordan has to say. If he has bad news, Greg's going to be in a bad mood. If Atiq is dead, disregard what is below, Greg will instead be very angry.

Don't know what wound modifiers he has or if the environment gives him any bonuses -- listing bonuses that I don't include in parens as before.

Mind probe (force 7) casting and drain to get things done quickly.
# dice: 9 :: 5 4 5 1 4 6 5 1 4 -- 4 successes
# dice: 12 :: 1 5 1 6 4 6 1 2 5 5 1 6 -- 6 successes

Could psycology work as a complementary skill for this particular spell?

If I can't get all the information I need then rolling into the torture proper, making him scared of dying and all.

Control Emotions (force 5) casting and drain to instill a fear of death
# dice: 9 :: 4 4 6 3 4 4 3 4 4 -- 1 successes
# dice: 12 :: 1 5 1 1 2 4 1 1 1 4 3 4 -- 1 successes

1 box of stun damage.

Get first aid then come back with the tools to do this right (scalpel, bacon fat, C-clamp and toothpicks. I'll leave the details to your imagination.)

Interrogation to shatter this ass

Cha + Intimidation + Interrogation Spec. + Caused Physical Pain + Wielding Weapon + Torture Complementary + (Psycology Complementary) + (Outnumber Atiq) + (Physically Imposing because he's imprisoned and dying) - (Wound Modifiers) - (other applicable social mods) # dice: 20 :: 6 1 6 3 1 5 6 4 2 6 5 4 5 5 4 5 6 3 3 3 -- 10 successes
adamu
JDragon

Okay, 10 pills in the bottle. I am assuming you still have Farley's commlink on hidden (?). That real leather jacket costs a chunk of change and has 2/2 armor (per the book). That'll be your last freebie from your former luxury lifestyle. (Hate to be stingy, but it's a game balance thing - other rich players will most likely face a similar fate.) You mentioned something about pocket change - let's say it's just about enough to get you to Touristville, Redmond - no cabbie has a reader to handle that Gold Credstick.
IF you make it to a cab.....
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan)
@Adamu
Conall - Second Wave

I'll wait until the results from the two next passes to write up the IC post (that and I'm stupidly busy until monday morning wink.gif

For both rounds, Conall isn't going to play it "nice"; he's going straight for the face (with a preference in maybe breaking Patrick's nose. Nothing like giving a guy two black eyes nyahnyah.gif)

Round 2:
Will use 1 of Edge to go first

Initiative: 1,1,4,6,3,6,2
Hits: 2
Initiative Score: 9

Unarmed Combat Rolls:6,2,5,4,2,2,2

Dodge Rolls: 3,2,3,5,1,3,4,1,6

Round 3:
Initiative: 1,2,2,5,3,1,1
Hits: 1
Initiative Score: 8

Unarmed Combat Rolls:5,3,1,2,5,1,5
Hits: 3

Dodge Rolls: 3,2,4,3,2,3,5,4,3
Hits: 1

Mister Juan

Okay, your attack is good, and he totally messes up his attempt to block - literally steps straight into your punch - crunch - there's your broken nose and he's down on his ass, though he immediately gets right back up (I assume you let him, since you specified only closed fists?).

So at this point it is obvious to everyone that you have drawn first blood. I am a little unsure on what you are going to have Declan do - call it fair and square, or let the fight go on so you can beat this guy up more? Sorry, I don't know your character well enough - and Patrick is obviously not really counting on Declan calling it and seems like he's going to keep fighting until Declan does call it.

So that's what I need to know - does Declan call it?

Please post IC to Patrick getting up off his ass and Declan either calling it or not.
adamu
MK Ultra

That is a pretty huge coincidence, cuz I just saw Lord of War about a week ago myself. And yes, the parellels are clear.

Thanks for the heads up on your future activities. I will keep them in mind for the future. Will be doing the February 4th IC post in about 24 hours RL time from now. It will take place in your office.
DireRadiant
This is turning out to be a catastrophic kind of day for Harriet.
MK Ultra
adamu

nice, I just stoped writing my golf IC, to post that a golf related episode of King of Queens just started in tv nyahnyah.gif

Iīll probably post the IC in a few hours and try to put up some post about my intermediate activeties tomorrow before you post.
JDragon
QUOTE (adamu)
JDragon

Okay, 10 pills in the bottle.  I am assuming you still have Farley's commlink on hidden (?).  That real leather jacket costs a chunk of change and has 2/2 armor (per the book).  That'll be your last freebie from your former luxury lifestyle.  (Hate to be stingy, but it's a game balance thing - other rich players will most likely face a similar fate.)  You mentioned something about pocket change - let's say it's just about enough to get you to Touristville, Redmond - no cabbie has a reader to handle that Gold Credstick.
IF you make it to a cab.....

Adamu,

10 pills sounds good.

Yes the comm is still in Hidden. If I need to I'll put it in passive to order the cab. (just haven't been playing SR long enough to know)

Thanks for the leather jacket, no problem on calling the freebies.

Quick ?, why would a cabies reader not be able to handle the gold cred stick? I thought all the gold menat was how much cred it was certified up to? Just because its a Gold stick does not always mean it going to have huge amounts of cred on it. (Once again I'm new so maybe I missed something. Plus your the GM and if thats your call thats cool, just wondering.)

EDIT -
Hadn't seen the post for me when I first posted this.

I will head for the closest cover I can find, trying to keep the building or cars between me and the patrol car. When I'm moving I'll be focusing on speed vs stealth since I know I will not be able to sneak away.

Running Check
Strength (cool.gif + Running (Atheletics Group) (2) = 10 dice
3, 1, 3, 6, 6, 1, 1, 1, 5 , 2 = 3 hits

One thing I'm not sure of is if I get extra tests do to my extra init passes, if I do here are those rolls.

Running Check
1, 1, 1, 3, 6, 2, 6, 6, 4, 1 = 3 hits

4, 3, 4, 6, 4, 1, 5, 2, 5, 6 = 4 hits

I think thats it for now, let me know if I need anything else.

JDragon
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)

adamu

nice, I just stoped writing my golf IC, to post that a golf related episode of King of Queens just started in tv nyahnyah.gif

Iīll probably post the IC in a few hours and try to put up some post about my intermediate activeties tomorrow before you post.

MK Ultra

Cool, I will wait for the golf.
adamu
Cedric

Yeah, SR4 decryption has obviously done some serious catching up with encryption technology. Like, some SERIOUS catching up. But there are also trolls and mind probe spells and synaptic accelerators, so whatever.

I think the RAW for decryption will be fine - in other words, if something is encrypted, just download it and take it home and rack up a bazillion successes on your extended test. The challenge will be time-essential situations and/or if IC is attached to the file.

Your rolls are all successful eventually, and if they weren't you could just keep rolling. Except for the defuse, but that's where you scored big. But there was no data bomb anyway.
Obviously you would do the analyze and defuse BEFORE the decrypt, I would think. Whatever.

The file - not empty, that's for sure. Whether it means anything significant - I see nothing on your sheet that indicates you could make heads or tails of it, except that it is pages and pages of some sort of financial spreadsheets. It can be accessed in either Aztlaner or Japanese. If you want English, I assume your office has a library of translation chips.
Looking at line items, you think maybe it has to do with daily expenditures for overhead or something. But you would need some sort of relevant knowledge skill and some time to figure out more than that.

I did an IC post. Now please IC your way to the meet with your friends. Unless there is something requiring resolution you want to do in the intervening eight hours.
DireRadiant
Harriet - Third Wave

This is tricky... how long can Harriet maintain her illusions and proceed in innocence?

For planning purposes, I believe Harriet will approach the blown up building, something there will at least trigger her to go to Morris, most likely the dawning suspicion something bad is happening to people/places Harriets knows, and Morris is the last persons she's had contact with. Probably send a warning to Monica too, but Harriet knows Monica can usually take care of herself, while Morris is quite vulnerable.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Ok, the golf IC took longer then I thought and Ramsey rolled realy crapy even though his pool was only one die less then Guadalupeīs and Billingsī (I didnīt keep the rolls, but if you like, I can post the stats I used for the senators).
Well itīs up now, I hope itīs not boring, because honestly I know crap about golf (but there is always wikipedia nyahnyah.gif), I think it got too long, though.

About my activities in the days till Feb., 4th, I cut it very short and I probably wonīt get something up today, so I just left it out.

BTW: By pure chance (prepairing something for myown face to face game) I read about Keiji Hiroshige (a Yakuza Oyabun in Chicagoe) in Prime Runners (p. 32/33) today and it states that (in 2055, after the bomb I think) he had several yakuza plants placed among UCAS Steel (among others) shareholders, whoīs influence would soon make itself plain. I will come back on that later, to find out is itīs still valid info wink.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 23 2006, 04:52 AM)
I think the RAW for decryption will be fine - in other words, if something is encrypted, just download it and take it home and rack up a bazillion successes on your extended test.

FYI, I think you cannot download (or delete, or do anything with) encrypted files before decrypting them... so even if it only takes you 3-4 combat turns (a few seconds) to decrypt things, there is the possibility of IC or security users spotting you in that time.
BlackHat
Adam - Third Wave
Also, while digging around in his commlink (see previous post), it would be useful to note if there is a call-history, and if so, what the date of the last call was (and perhaps to whom if its obtainable from a contact list). My reasoning being that if there isn't a call history, or the last call was a long time ago, this is probably a completely fake decoy commlink - but if it seems like he's pretty active on it, its probably just his personal commlink that he doesn't get dirty with incriminating stuff - but which he might still use if he were making a personal call.
adamu
QUOTE (BlackHat)
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 23 2006, 04:52 AM)
I think the RAW for decryption will be fine - in other words, if something is encrypted, just download it and take it home and rack up a bazillion successes on your extended test.

FYI, I think you cannot download (or delete, or do anything with) encrypted files before decrypting them... so even if it only takes you 3-4 combat turns (a few seconds) to decrypt things, there is the possibility of IC or security users spotting you in that time.

Goldurnit - I was SURE I remembered reading that rule somewhere myself, but then I searched and searched those horribly disorganized SR4 matrix rules and could not for the life of me find it. If you have a page reference for that I would be your friend to the end.

EVERYONE

On Matrix stuff - I am bound and determined to continue my 14-year quest to make hacking playable. I think these SR4 rules are a step forward, but nonetheless, the more I read them and the more I use them, the more unanswered questions arise.

So first - I really want to thank everyone for including page number references on most if not all of their matrix actions. It is a huge help.

Second, I tell you now I am bound to make mistakes. But we will just correct them as soon as possible and move on the wiser for it. Rulings I make will stand once they are made and 'cemented' by IC posts, but if we learn more correct rulings, we will incorporate them as we go.

Third, anyone reading this OOC thread who sees a hacking rules mistake that they can back up with a page reference, please do not hesitate to jump in and teach me.

We have two and a half very promising hackers among the twelve players in the game. I hope we will all work together to make them a playable part of the two teams we are going to form.
adamu
BlackHat

All right, dude, your last post allows me to save a lot of trouble describing stuff so you figure things out for yourself, since you really already have. All your tests succeed. You can find a sizable personal directory, a couple of dozen names, and a couple of dozen more business establishments. You also find a subscription list - AR contacts, AR gloves, ear buds, Saab Dynamit diagnostics (not entry/ignition codes), and anything else that everyone in the world has on their commlink (although he is pretty security conscious in that you can't start his car with it, and there is nothing that you can see about his home security system).
Yes, he does obviously use this for day-to-day 'citizen' life. There are lots of calls, and all are recorded.
Listening to them would take you quite a while.
Names I can guess you might be interested in include two law firms and an upscale medical clinic. Also numbers for names you already know from your research are for his wife and kids. And his brother. And Harper. Fill in any names of these people you want.
If you want to know the number of any particular person in his life, just confirm it with me, but he's probably got it on there.
Also his SIN, drivers's license, etc. No weapon or cyber licenses.

Hope that answers everything you asked. Let me know if I left something out, or you think of something you'd like to have be on there.

Anytime you are ready you can post up to your arrival at the club, if you still plan on going there. But no hurry, do more research if you like. I will handle the IC for the interior, but before you go in let me know roughly what you want to do inside, what you're looking for, etc.
BlackHat
Lol, I assume by "wife and kids" its his home number? or in 2070 do middle-school kids have their own cellphones! eek.gif

At work, as usual, but will work out my next actions over the course of the day. Considering there is minimal damage I can do with his commlink, I think after saving some of the more useful data, I'll back out and and up at the club by the end of my post (but who knows). biggrin.gif
adamu
Dude,here in Japan five-year-olds have their own damn cellphones! But sure, you get their commlinks and what you think is his home terminal.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (adamu)
Goldurnit - I was SURE I remembered reading that rule somewhere myself, but then I searched and searched those horribly disorganized SR4 matrix rules and could not for the life of me find it. If you have a page reference for that I would be your friend to the end.

p 225 Column two Paragraph 4

"Note that wireless communications are usually encrypted, so
you’ll need to decrypt the signal before you can intercept or capture
the traffi c."
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu)
Fill in any names of these people you want.
If you want to know the number of any particular person in his life, just confirm it with me, but he's probably got it on there.

Would someone named "O'Maley" be in there?

Is there an appointment reminder type application - and if so, does it appear to be commonly used?
adamu
QUOTE (Abbandon)
First Wave, Warren

Ok i understand what you mean about not using gymnastics for normal defense. Just to double check with you. Can i go on full defense and roll the following??:

vs melee = reaction + unarmed + gymnastics
vs ranged = reaction + gymnastics

I made turn 3's IC post and am awaiting your IC post.

Abbandon
The way I read the ever-controversial dodge rules, the answer is yes to both your questions.
Note that I will not allow gynastics from someone that does not what I would consider sufficient space/mobility to use them, while I am prone to be much more liberal with situations the dodge skill can be used.
Also, no combat specializations of gymnastics.

IC is up. Please post actions OOC.
adamu
pragma

Okay, OOC stuff.

First and perhaps most important - my feedback on your last IC post. A) Brilliant post. Very nice on a number of levels. I liked the way you broke it into three posts for his three successive states of consciousness. B) The manifestation I cannot pass off on - you declared you would cast spells on both passes. That is a complex action. Manifestation requires a simple action, which you did not have available. (p. 184)
Now I have thought about this and there is no reason for you to modify that beautiful post. In IC terms, obviously, you are not thinking simple actions and combat turns and all that, you are just scrambling to do all you can as fast as you can. So in your mind, you manifested. Unfortunately, no one saw you.
I was going to just not tell you this, cuz it could have made for some interesting role-playing - which I still would encourage - but I figured you had a right to know my ruling.

Since you say you will proceed with the interrogation before calling Jordan, I will tell you how it goes so you can do the IC post.

They stim you up to no penalties - but you are gonna crash hard. As far as I know without Street Magic yet, there are no SR4 dangers to mages using stims, and you won't be dinged.

In response to your earlier mail about making the guy afraid to die, Tim and Eric are, like, dude, he's already wearing his death clothes. He not only wants to die, he EXPECTS to die. But you probably reckon you can use the control emotions spell to change all that.

The guy is restrained but lucid, and there are three combat mages on him so that there is no way he is going to get a spell through their counterspelling.

But the Mind Probe is a no go - you can't get enough successes to get past some sort of mindlocking barrier they have in place on him - it is as though the use of a mind probe was expected. If I had Street Magic I might be able to tell you what this is in game terms, but suffice to say there are things in the sixth world the rules don't really cover.

The control emotions spells clearly fail. So he doesn't care about dying.

But after about two minutes with the bacon grease and toothpicks (WTF!?!?!?!), he does care about dying - he WANTS to. That's a LOT of successes you racked up, and I think all those mods are correct. So he spills the location of the nuke, and other people rush off and solve the problem.

After that's all done, the docs tell you you've got about an hour before you collapse as the stims wear off.
Abbandon
First Wave - Warren

Only 4 grenades?? I can use the baby to soak up that much damage. Hehe.

Turn 4. The kaboom.

Warren:
HP= 7/11 -1 mod
MP= 11/11

1st IP
-= go on full defense (complex action)
-= yell "GRENADE, RUN" into my mic (free action)

1st attack defense
Reaction 5 + Unarmed 5 + gymnastics 5 - wounds 1= 14 dice
3,6,5,2,4,4,1,2,6,3,2,3,6,4,2= 4 hits

1st body soak
Body 6 + impact 8 = 14 dice
2,2,5,6,5,1,5,4,3,5,1,3,3,4= 4 hits

2nd attack defense
Reaction 5+Unarmed5+ gymnastics 5-wounds 1- repeat attack 1= 13 dice
2,4,3,1,2,3,2,2,5,2,5,2,5= 3 hits

2nd body soak
Body 6 = impact 8 = 14 dice
4,2,5,2,6,2,4,4,2,2,3,2,3,2= 2 hits

3rd attack defense
Reaction 5 +Unarmed 5 +gymnastics 5 -wounds 1 -repeat attack 2= 12 dice
5,1,3,5,2,6,4,3,6,3,6,2= 5 hits

3rd Body soak
Body 6 + impact 8 = 14 dice
1,5,3,3,5,1,6,4,6,2,1,1,1,6= 5 hits

Everyone else:

...your call i guess. Maybe composure tests to see if they listen to warren and run towards him. Failure means they stand there looking around for the grenades
adamu
Mister Juan/Vegas

Okay, I will need to know whether Conall is going on the trip. Either or both of you can post IC for the bus ride and lunch, though I hope this will primarily be Vegas' sequence. That is not to discourage MJ from posting all he wants - I just hope that any events you may want to steer towards will be steered by Vegas for now. My next post will be during the hike.

I think you both have a good idea of Patrick's character by now. This is his bus, his trip, and it is his security discreetly following. The people on the bus are all his friends, but there are many mutual acquaintances, as you all move in the same circles. But it is clear from his comportment that Etain is here as his date. He will be polite to everyone, and absolutely fawning on her, though he won't ever initiate any sort of physical contact other than whatever might be required by etiquette.
adamu
JDragon

Okay dude, they do spot you as they pull in behind the building and you make your break for it, but you have a good 50 meters on them before they do.

I don't know what you want to do, but if it is run ----
Chase scenes are tough OOC because in addition to speed (which will always be a crucial factor in any chase I GM, although it seems to have been overlooked in SR4), the player will always hope to do things that are largely dependent on what sorts of opportunities the environment provides. And the environment is moving past them as fast as they can make it.

This can go fairly quickly table-top, but constant queries about 'is there a fire escape?' 'is there a narrow alley?' 'is there a big crowd?' are welcome but will take a lot of back and forth posting.

So what I want to TRY and see how it works what I have just boringly dubbed "1 or a 2 times 3".
This means that for each post cycle of this chase (IF you choose to run - up to you - no more railroading now that your disaster is over), you can, if you wish, name three things that you hope to encounter and that are reasonable in an urban area downtown at night. For each, roll a die, and on a one or two, it is there. Post OOC actions based on that info, and I will rule from there for your next IC post.
adamu
MK Ultra

Yeah, dude, that was one long post. But you know what my attitude is? You could write a freaking novel, and guess how much it would prevent other players from writing just as much - that's right, it wouldn't prevent them at all. We have unlimited post space and your posts don't block others' posts and no one has to read it if they don't want to. Write what you like.
And no, I do not need to see die rolls for the golf match - perfect example of fluff, meaning do what you want with that sort of stuff. You didn't violate anything we'd established regarding your relationships with them, so if you had fun, we have achieved our goal.

I haven't seen my Prime Runners book (I was always disappointed there were so few actual runners!) in years. But I have always been a GM that felt that if an industrious player can dig that stuff up and it is applicable, power to them. Is it some kind of sokaiya thing?
MK Ultra
QUOTE (adamu)
(I was always disappointed there were so few actual runners!)

Heh, yeah, me too.

Is it some kind of sokaiya thing?

I donīt know, It dosnīt specify. I also checked Bug City and there is no reference at all to the Yaks in the UCAS Steel description.
My plan is to meet with Ian and ask him if he knows where to dig for UCAS Steels Yakuza-skelletons, but I will specify this in IC in the upcomming weeks.
adamu
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 25 2006, 09:16 AM)
Goldurnit - I was SURE I remembered reading that rule somewhere myself, but then I searched and searched those horribly disorganized SR4 matrix rules and could not for the life of me find it.  If you have a page reference for that I would be your friend to the end.

p 225 Column two Paragraph 4

"Note that wireless communications are usually encrypted, so
you’ll need to decrypt the signal before you can intercept or capture
the traffi c."

Thank you very much for finding that reference.
But I actually did see that one. The problem is, that is the section on sucking info right out of the airwaves while it is between nodes, and I don't really see it as directly applicable to downloading a file from inside a node (which it doesn't seem to me that encryption would prevent).
I suppose one thing would be that an encrypted file would also have the title encrypted. Plus, how would a browse program even locate, say, a file about Joe Triad Dude if the file was encrypted - it would have to go around encrypting everything just to find the keywords or whatever.
In this case, Jonathan had the exact address of the file he wanted, so the point is moot. For the future, hmmm, I invite input on this question.
MK Ultra
Oh my god. Damn ambition!!!

Sorry but my answer to the IC will probably have to wait untill tomorrow wink.gif
adamu
BlackHat

No O'Malleys. And no Bigios, Finnegans, Ciarnellos or any other familia surnames. And no first names like Fingers, Lucky, or Meatball. Plenty of Sals, Tonys and Luigis, though.

Yes, lots of appointments, but all during the day - stuff like pick up the kids, meet Fishbein (lawyer), take insulin (looks like he's diabetic), and other boring stuff.
But five o'clock every evening seven days a week is 'go to work.'

His SIN lists his current occupation as manager of the Dancing Bare.
adamu
Everyone

Okay, board is clear and karma is awarded. No one get spoiled - remember that was a two-week award. Some of you may have gotten karma for goals that now seem to have been pointless in view of subsequent events. Don't feel bad - some of those events were virtually inevitable. The karma is for not only doing a good job fighting against them, but actually delaying them.

As I mentioned earlier - I moved today. I have no Internet at home. Until I get it, posting on this game will be limited. I am reiterating this so no one thinks the game is over. I will not quit this game. And I can't even say how delighted I am to have twelve players all sticking with.

With the boards clear today, I will be posting as often as I can, in rotation, starting on Monday with First Wave. HOPEFULLY will average a player a day until I get Internet access - who knows when that will be.
BlackHat
Adam - Third Wave

Posted up to the club.

Wanted to check two last things before going back to AR.
1) That Francos' earbuds, like most commercial earbuds (read: from the core book) are capable of both audio playback and also audio recording. (At least, I think they are. Since they can filter and enhance sounds - sort of like hearing aids). If that is the case I would like to load sniffer into memory (or whatever the appropriate program is) and pipe a copy of what he's hearing to my own commlink. This would both tell me if he's busy meeting with someone else, and also let me know when his goon inevitably has to go get him to let him know someone has arrived looking for him. See Below.
2) Adam would like to create an appointment reminder, set for 19:00:00 today, to "Meeting with Mr. Smith at the Dancing Bare" (Wanted to go with Mr. Johnson, but figured I would avoid Shadowrunning references as much as possible. Unless, in 2070, the popularity of shadowrunning trid movies has made "Johnson" a more popular generic name than "Smith"). The meeting will have whatever flags seem appropriate in the datebook. Probably some sort of "urgent" flag. The idea here is that, I assume since he is manager that he's going to be well protected, busy, and probably in some remote back office (VIP room?). So Adam will probably going to have to tell the bouncer/bartender/someone that he is looking for him. I figure, it would be more impressive if Adam came in saying that he has a meeting with mr. Balducci, and asking them to tell him "Mr. Smith" is here. At the same moment that his reminder goes off, reminding him of a meeting that he doesn't remember scheduling with a man he doesn't remember agreeing to meet, one of his goons walks in telling him that that man is here, asking to meet with him. I figure it is as likely to make him mad, as it is worried or curious, but either way, I am hoping it will throw him off - and might help give Adam an intimidating edge since there is a good chance that the mob boss would have no idea how to hack into someone's commlink and create a fake meeting.

If both #1 and #2 work, Adam will be able to listen in while the goon informs Franco of his arrival, and gadge his reaction based on what he says to the goon. If Franco says something to the effect of "Fuck that guy, throw him out" Adam would ideally hear that, and also, perhaps, be able to send a brief text message to Franco's contacts displaying something like, "He who refuses to embrace a unique opportunity loses the prize as surely as if he had failed." in his field of view. Something cryptic that isn't threatening, but which might peak his interest, and will surely have him wondering who is doing this and why.

As for what Adam has on him, he is wearing his suit, and has his taser in the holster in the jacket. He is prepared to have someone scan him and take it away - but I figured I might as well bring it along just in case. He has his commlink on, as well as his contacts, earbuds and gloves (which are all skinlinked) so he'll have the commlink in hidden mode, and since he's already spoofing his commcode ID, he's hoping that will be enough to keep it safe for a quick meeting. he would defiantly attempt to turn off anythign that his commlink might broadcast about his SIN, and will have loaded up a stock icon.

Adam will attempt to enter the club and look for Mr. Balducci on the main floor. If the bouncer assume's he is a customer, great, but if he starts to give Adam a hard time, Adam will inform him of his appointment with Mr. Balducci, and appear annoyed by having his time wasted waiting at the door.

Still not sure what approach Adam is going to take when speaking with Franco - it will probably depend on his reactions. However, Adam definatly wants to give the unspoken impression that he is an annonymous negotiatior hired by someone else, someone with money and influence - and thus has little reason to be intimidated by someone like Franco (although, that would be a lie, Adam knows that Franco could probably have him killed and no one would ever know.)

After getting the interior IC post, and some of Franco's reaction I can post mroe details about exactly what Adam is going to say.... but in real life, I'm still not sure. biggrin.gif Luckily for me, that's how Adam rolls....
Abbandon
My turn 4 rolls are up.

input on the matrix stuff:

I havent really looked at exactly what you guys are trying to do but my views on encryption/decrypt is as follows. If your in a node you can assume all the traffic flowing through it is encrypted and you would have to do a decrpyt to see any details about the data. A great analogy is a river with fish flowing through it. If you look into the river you may be able to see the fish swimming in the river but you wont know what kinda fish it is until you pull it out(decrypt) and look at it(perception).

pragma
First Wave, Gregory

I'm back, sorry about the slow posting.

Guessing at times for the arrival at the CIA, let me know if they should change.

I do believe that I declared my first actions as manifesting yelling and seeking cover, but misunderstandings will happen (its an artefact of PbP play). I'm fine with rolling with what we've got (more roleplay opportunites anyway).

Great job all, I'm having fun.
JDragon
Angus - Second Wave

Adamu,

Well at this point I don't think giving up would be a good thing since my stash would get taken and if I got away at some point leave me with nothing. (of course this is still a possiblity)

I understand what you mean about the chase & inquiry thing. Your plan works for me.

IF it works for you what I would like to do is give you my overall game plan as I see it right now as well as my short term 1, 2 or 3 list. Then we keep going that way till I get to my next major goal or I'm caught.

So my game plan is to keep moving as fast as possible away from the Gym & any Lone Star Agents. I hope to get 3 or 4 blocks away using alleys and such, trying to keep out of sight as much as possible then head out to a main street where I can calmly walk out and hail a cab.

List Items....
1 - Narrow Alley (Car will not fit)

2 - Intersection with multiple choices (more chances for them to pick incorrectly)

3 - Large trash (to use as cover to stay out of sight)

Hope this list works for you, its kinda tough at this point because I'm not looking for somewhere to hide yet. Mainly cause I'm not good at hiding and it gives them time to bring in more resources to find me.

Here is my next set of Running checks.

Running Check
Strength (8) + Running (Atheletics Group) (2) = 10 dice
6, 4, 3, 3, 3, 6, 1, 2, 1, 4 = 2 hits

One thing I'm not sure of is if I get extra tests do to my extra init passes, if I do here are those rolls.

Running Check
6, 5, 2, 6, 3, 3, 1, 6, 2, 2 = 4 hits

6, 5, 1, 3, 3, 3, 1, 3, 6, 2 = 3 hits

Let me know if you need anything else.

JD

adamu
Abbandon

Your full defense works like a charm - all he can do is swing and swish, can't even nick you. But even with the broken nose, he really seems calm, taking his time.

You can't see much of what takes place over by the ambulance - you are busy not getting cut in half or bleeding out. But it looks like there's some reaction to your warning. Dani tries to run with the baby, but gets cut down by suppressive fire after about two steps. Nick sees the grenades and freezes. Ray throws himself onto them, but he's too small, and his body only covers a couple.
Everyone gets blown to bits by the combined power of the grenades. At fifteen meters the shockwave hits you and your opponent hard in role-playing terms, but no game effect.

Go ahead and post IC, but I'd appreciate if your description of your crew's reaction was kind of sketchy - maybe a sharp image or two - to reflect that you can't really watch the whole scene.

Post OOC your next turn, but be advised that although you can't see details yet, it looks like the instant the grenade goes off the ambushing fireteams are coming out from wherever they were on the other side of the ambulance.
adamu
pragma
QUOTE (pragma @ Aug 18 2006, 08:50 PM)

If I can, I'd like to spend the surprise round manifesting, yelling "In the tree" at Marsden, assigning spell defense to myself, my family and the wolverine types and flying to the nearest cover be it wall or tree or whatever else -- just want something mostly between me and him, hopefully where I can maintain spell defense.

If not that will be my first pass.

Subsequently I plan to hurl stunbolts at him until things start calming down.

Spell slinging:

1st round: force 9 stunbolt and drain

2nd round: force 9 stunbolt and drain

Yes, you did indeed state those actions for the first pass, as shown. But you will recall that in a subsequent post I disallowed all of them as being in direct reaction to Montressor's appearance, which you were surprised by.

I do very much appreciate your working with me on this, by the way.
adamu
JDragon

Wow - amazing how much can happen in a troll's life in a lousy 35 minutes of game time! Maybe I'll start addressing your posts Jack Bauer.

Anyway, you got the right idea on the system, except that I intended for us to save even more time by letting you roll to see if those features were available.
I did it this time. No alley too narrow for the car, but there is a five-way intersection within your first 55-meter sprint, as well as several large heaps of garbage in alleys.

As for the running. Just to run takes a free action per pass. To sprint costs a simple INSTEAD of the free. So that would leave you a free and a simple for the pass.

Your 35 meters is for the entire 3-pass (in your case) combat turn. It gets divided evenly into each of your three passes.

Sprint successes gained in any of your three passes add 2 meter apiece to your 35 total. If you want to keep using simple actions in other passes, those are your actions to spend how you like, and more successes will mean more meters.

So your first turn you ran 55 meters from the car the was ten meters from you as it approached. So that put you 65 meters ahead of them. During some point in that sprint they saw you, and react on the next turn.

Next turn, you can run another 53 meters. You can reach the intersection or the garbage/alleys any time during that.

I would have you post an IC based on that - but I need to know if you have other actions on the second turn - even sprinting all three, you still have a free and a simple x3.
Abbandon
First Wave, Warren

Turn ??

Warren: Well there isnt to much i can do now. Im gonna go on full defense and run for it. Man me and Jdragon have alot of parallels going. Its freaky. I'm at the point where i want to ask 50 questions about my surroundings and stuff to. Should i read more thoroughly what you told him to do and do it? I wanna either bash through an apartment/building's door if it looks possable or sprint into the nearest gap between buildings, or as a last result just try to sprint to the end of the block and duck around the corner.

How many shots should i roll to dodge?? Does my guy really have a chance of escape here this feels like a good time to railroad and just say what happens working off my general concept of trying to run away.

-so what are my options for running
-how many shots do you want me to try and dodge
-oh yeah and the time warping in my storyline is getting worse. When i had my fight with George it was wednesday the 20'th. Then i made a post about warren hitting the sack and i think a little time passing post. The thursday after the fight would have been the 21st. You said you were gonna pick things up a week later. That would make it thursday 28th. And I saw where instead of calling it the 27th like you have been doing we time warped back to the 22nd somehow. Im pretty sure dispite both of our time posting errors its thursday the 28th.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@pragma/adamu

I've been going through some of the other players storylines and today was Gregory's hehe. I've got questions.

#1. When Tim came over for dinner it was saturday, then you guys make it sound like after you had dinner everyone went to bed and woke up the next day and THEN Tim left ?? Plus you guys had stuff happen on sunday and then you went back to saturday. The whole weekend sequence is fubared.

#2. Did gregory use some kinda magic or cyber/biotech to read the story? Maybe i should look it up but is it really possable to read it in only 30 minutes?

#3. After gregory figures out who is stalking him and while he is on his way to work Monday he goes astral to check on his family. He spots that monte guy who attacks him. Then BLAM he is being pulled out of his car by Tim and he has a stim patch on his thigh ??? What the hell happened there ?? And he Has no memory of it? I figure monte did something to him but that only explains half of it. Would a mage really go astral projecting in a moving car by himself. What if his car got in an accident and his body was carried away by an ambulance. He would be screwed. I seriously doubt he would take that chance.

#4 not cool teasing your readers with all these torture devices and then not having any text talking about the character using them.
JDragon
Angus - Second Wave

Yeah no kidding about the Jack Bauer thing. Kinda funny too cause I have just recently been watching the first few seasons of "24" via Netflix.

Ok, I'll get a IC post up that covers my first two rounds of running. - Thats what you want right?

Before I do that I have one ?. With the simple actions I have left during round two could I start pulling the comm out of my duffle bag with out it slowing me down drasticly? If I can I will, if not I'll just use the extra actions to be as aware as possible of my surroundings as I run. Its fine if it will take several rounds of simple actions if thats how you want to do it too.

On my OOC post for round 3 I'll make the roll for the list. Sorry I had missed that.

JD
adamu
BlackHat

Okay, the basic earbud on p.324 is just for AR playback. All those other things you mentioned are indeed possible - as accessories. He has a basic Y10 bud that lets him hear audio off the no-security commlink you are raping. But you can access it, and if he gets any calls or listens to any online music or something I will let you know. Nothing right now.
You have no problem setting the appointment reminder up.
You said you are ready to surrender your taser - so my IC post will reflect that, and also I assume you will pay the cover charge (Y50 - live ain't cheap - sorta like real food). Anyway, it's a nice place, as these sorts of places go.

In addition to the cover and the drink (and the tip) the cab was Y20 - cabs aren't included in 'student lifestyle' and I gotta start whittling down that fat wad of starting cash you have.

If you happen to have it, the style of music I was trying miserably to describe is best approximated by Lords of Acid's Voodoo U.
adamu
JDragon

You've paid actions to get the speed you've got. That means you have your other actions and they shouldn't slow you down (barring trying to carry a cow or something). Taking an object out of a bag - hmm - open bag = simple, take item out of bag = simple, etc.
DireRadiant
Harriet - Third Wave

Sorry for the delay posting, I almost missed it because I must have checked just before you updated.

Just want to say I think this is working out well. Well for the story, poorly for poor Harriet of course. I'm enjoying the dramatic tension in not being sure what exactly is going to happen next, I think you're doing great set ups for the scenes. Makes it pretty easy most of the time to write the next IC post.

Harriet has shut off her commlink, damned inconvenient having a commlink implant when you don't want to be tracked... of course she'd have to remember that she could spoof an id, but that's for later should she survive. She's on her way to get her little brother Morris to safety if she can. Wherever he actually is right now.
DireRadiant
Nothing spooky about someone in the shower... no psycho moments here....

I think everyone's stories are going great, I'm certainly enjoying reading them all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012