Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
Mister Juan
@Adamu
I'll send you a PM soon.
Jack Robustus
@MJ Jack and Frank have done some good recon on the iyakaza, but a little more wouldn't hurt. Just thinkin' ork.gif
adamu
Okay - last week I talked about taking a hard look at the state of the game.

Have spoken to Mister Juan and he concedes he's been a bit out of touch, but has committed to seeing the run through.
So with the three of you, and Carla as an NPC in a support role, that leaves the team strength pretty much what it was, since we had already created an IC escape hatch for Etain/Vegas (whom of course we'd joyfully welcome back, as we would Blue Rondo).

Of course I adjust things to account for one less team member.

So if everyone is still up for it, I am back from Japan and plan to be here twice a week as before. Ball, however, is in y'all's court.
Jack Robustus
I'm up for it. My artistic life is on hold while I see how my work situation pans out. Staying up on the game will be a good diversion. ork.gif
MK Ultra
So, shall we wait for MJ or shall we move on?

Any new plans?
Jack Robustus
I'm torn.

Let's give MJ one week, i.e. until the 15th to get on board. If not let's carry on without him. His loss, I suppose.

At this point I have no new plans.

I'm sure adamu will adjust the threat level according to our strength, but it would still be nice to see more of us involved. ork.gif
adamu
Well, as I posted earlier, MJ says he is on board.

My advice at this point (and that's keep-the-game-going advice, not tactical or RP guidance) would be to (A) assume Conall will be too busy with his junkie sister to do any recon, and (B) finalize your plan, clearly detailing Conall's role, and just go for it; hopefully once things are underway, he'll take the controls - if not - I'll fill in the gaps.
MK Ultra
iīm with adam on this.

as for the plan, I think we had it pretty much finalized (will dig up the details later). The only thing to ajust is Jackīs position infront of the van and find a replacement or disguise him/cover his features to not draw in the yakuza.
Jack Robustus
@MK there was a version of the plan where Jack starts out in the back of the van. At this point, I'm fine with that. I don't think we really want to waste time disguising the ugly ork. Once the action really starts, yaks will start showing up no matter what. MJ had inquired about Jack's shotgun, I believe with the notion of using bean bag ammo in it. I'll make sure to specify that Jack brings that piece of gear along with him for Paddy to make use of.

I say, dig up the plans, put in some specifics regarding Conall, and let's roll. ork.gif
adamu
Yes - rock onward!
MK Ultra
Temporary base of operation, The Barrio, Seattle, Sea-Tac/SCB MSP Node, Seattle Local Grid
Sunday 08/17/68 21:14:00
Krait – Kenichi-Napping Conspiracy Club
PAN Icon offline, Custom hidden (proxy), Metalink hidden (Signal 3), Moai offline

Krait: “Our patron provided us with a small stash of 9 mm gel-ammo and pepperpunch-capsules, as well as a hand full of either in 6 mm. I also have a taser on top of that. For close combat, as I recall, everybodyīs equipped with shock-gloves. I case things get ugly and we have to evict some of these damn corps-squatters, Iīd be happy to handle your shotgun, as Iīm actually not very good with anything but longarms.”

While he replied, the techno-fairy checked his Seattle-Emergency-Services Map-Soft and supplemented it with the data his Agent collected, as it came in.

Krait: “So if everything goes smooth –which it wonīt– Iīd suggest the following scenario, any deviations, weīd have to compensate for on the fly. We wait till the target getīs into the bar.” He pointed fingers at the elven combat mage, “Bike in sight of the entrance, play with your com to act busy, you can use the camera neutralizer or keep your helmet on.” Then the ork and the female elf, “back of the van,” the doctor, “driver,” and finally himself, “co-pilot.”

He gave everyone a second to voice any complaints, while he took another drag from his cigarette.

Krait: “After they went in, we block their parked vehicle with our van, Iīll get out and act as if Iīm fixing something at the engine. Very simple, very suspicious, but so is any other approach. Once they get out, some roaring bike-engin and a flipped finger could maybe provide some distraction. Could as well start a smoke, to give the impression, that you are not about to move very soon. One of the bodyguards will check me out and try to get rid of the obstacle and Iīll try my best to down him. Same time, the back of the van opens and the biker starts moving to go for the second guard and the grab. I will help out as good as I can, but try to stay out of the brawling to deal with the matrix side. The ladies are there for back-up and support. Easy, simple, sure to fail – we will have to patch the holes as they appear, I fear. As for the scouting, I suggest I will also have a look to check out the technical stuff. The ladies can find and prepair a nice home-away-from-home for our party – maybe put some warding in place.”

The compulsive planner was not at all happy with this, but it was the best thing that came together on the fly and they still had some time to improve it. A con with him impersonating the dead latino would have been nice, but he wouldnīt take the very high risk, that their target had learned of his Hispanic assassinīs untimely departure.
Jack Robustus
Well sometimes the simple on the fly plan works best. In my experience you can plan every detail down to the most minute detail but once the action starts going down the plan is usually out the window. I'm bringing the shotgun for the use of the party. It's a good weapon but it lacks a smartlink so I prefer to have Jack use other firearms whenever possible.

It all sounds fine to me. Van breaks down. Frank gets out to fix it. Conall provides distraction on his motorbike and thus is already out and ready for action. Jack gets out of the back of the van and throws one more monkey wrench into the situation. Basically Frank should fade back once the fighting really starts and Jack and Conall should grab the target and hustle him into the van. ork.gif
MK Ultra
Actually thought, will stay in the drivers seat, if we dont have Carla for the wheel. Can still stop infront of the parking area and pretend to take a call/whatch a game/vehicle dosnīt start, whatever, w window down

once bodyguard abproaches, I give him a serving of pepperpunch or gel from my sound suppressed beretta smg.

Iīll ask Jack to stay and wait for the others, to fill them in on everything (leaving a file with the summery, pictures and vids, also, while i go an prepair another contingency back door into the grid guide, in case we really need some chaos on the street! No time to IC (or check the numbers for the hacking) now, though.
Jack Robustus
@MK, sure leave Jack in the stinky ganger hideout, while Frank gets some fresh air and has something to occupy his time. Actually, it's good that one of our characters will be doing something productive, even if Jack doesn't really understand what it is.

With your permission, I can post a real simple IC to keep that thread moving along. ork.gif
MK Ultra
Sure, go ahead. I think the hack will take me about 7 hours (i actually miscalculated, could have spent some time in the hideout, but that way i can also get some sleep before the action, which is always good) so feel free to jump ahead as much as you want smile.gif
Jack Robustus
I am going to send adamu a PM regarding the status of the other players before I jump too far ahead. Based on his reply, I'll post accordingly. ork.gif
adamu
Okay - sorry about the slow week.

Carla is available as an NPC.
Conall will also be available - hopefully live, since MJ told me he was committed to it - but I'll run him if I have to.

MisterJuan - time to let us know what is up with you, dude!

I noticed the "IC" post quoted above has not made it into the thread, so it is just standing by for a point to insert it?
Seems like you have done both recon and planning now - just go for it!
People can post actions, or if you want more coordination you can rely on a "caller" at least for the initial set-up.

And of course if Vegas or BlueRondo ever reappeared, we would be most overjoyed to have them back!
adamu
MK Ultra - I am seeing hints that you are doing one more big hack before the run, but I don't know any details. Let me know when you want to do that.

MisterJuan - once that hack is done, I expect time will go pretty fast up until the evening attack.
So very much hoping to hear from you in the interim. Once the others are ready to move, Conall will be going with them, whichever of us is at the helm.
(we are in a pretty slow mode - one post a week would be enough, two outstanding!)
Mister Juan
Hello everyone! I'll try to make a very long story short: I've been absent from the boards, and dozen of other places for the past 2 weeks or so, because I found myself in car accident. I'm far from being in tip top shape (cracked 2 ribs and my right forearm), but I'm still whole, and now back home. I apologize for not having been able to get word out before. Since I'm pretty much confined to my house for the next month or so, you'll probably see a lot of me wink.gif

Anyways, sorry for any delay I may have caused in anyone's game!
MK Ultra
Hey MJ, good to hear you are back, not good to hear you had an accident of course, but good again, that you are relatively ok!

Sorry for beeing pretty silent over the hollydays.

John will go to some secure coffin club in his usual paranoid look out for/lose tails & sweep for bugs mode (just buying hits, to make it quich (4, 2 & 2 respectively). then probe the local gridguide node at the izakaya for admin access (Sys & FW 4, IIRC, +6 for admin, buying 2 hits per hour makes 7 hours total), then get some sleep and a shower and redress at home (again buying hits for paranoia in between). Then get some paper-flats for everyone (2 pairs each, one bland, one delivery service uniform style with swift wind delivery logo printed on them - a wuxing subsidary) and get some large easyly removable stickers with swift wind delivery logos for the van (not putting them on there, yet). also get some duct tape. whipe all the rfids from the stuff except for the swd uniforms, which should broadcast swd logos. Finaly a huge bag, big enough, to put a human in it. Get all that as well as my weapons stuff and gamma scopolamin to where we meet before the raid at about 7 or 7:30 pm.

IC will follow in the neer futur.
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Dec 27 2009, 02:44 AM) *
Hello everyone! I'll try to make a very long story short: I've been absent from the boards, and dozen of other places for the past 2 weeks or so, because I found myself in car accident. I'm far from being in tip top shape (cracked 2 ribs and my right forearm), but I'm still whole, and now back home. I apologize for not having been able to get word out before. Since I'm pretty much confined to my house for the next month or so, you'll probably see a lot of me wink.gif

Anyways, sorry for any delay I may have caused in anyone's game!

I would call that a more than worthy reason not to be posting. sleepy.gif I know what it's like to be stuck in a hospital for a long time. You are completely out of touch with a lot of stuff in your life. Glad to hear you are back and on the mend. I really didn't want adamu to play Conall in the upcoming action. ork.gif
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Dec 27 2009, 01:58 PM) *
Get all that as well as my weapons stuff and gamma scopolamin to where we meet before the raid at about 7 or 7:30 pm.

I would like to elect MK the basic caller for this leg of the run. I think he has the best grasp of the overall plan.

So MK, where do you think we should meet before the run? ork.gif
Mister Juan
Could you guys just me bring real fast up to speed?
MK Ultra
Well, in short, we scouted the the area while Ms J & Paddy saw after his sister. The map is on the wiki. 1 camera watching the front, one watching the back entrance, two watching the parking area. Fat bouncer at the door (packing) small dangerous looking guy comming out randomly.

When Jack was spotted 2 yakuza approached him and a sedan with some younger yakuza pulled close. When he ran, the younger ones chased him first by car, then by foot, but failed miserably. for some time yaks kept arriving, to search the area (organized but not trained).

I have backdoors to our targets com & his matrix-provider, one of the young yaks coms and the local grid guide (have to check my notes, but i think thats it).

Basic plan is to wait for the target till he gets out of the izakaya again, though we could try to grab him before he enters if the opportunity arrises - unlikely, though, since we donīt know how his car looks and the tracking is not very accurate. Paddy on the bike somewhere close to the front entrances. Jack in the back of the van, me at the wheel. Van blocking the way to targets car. We will wait till one of the bodyguards approaches -the second probably staying with the target- bust that guy - Jack gets out of the van and takes care of second bg and target together w Paddy, who can hopefully make a surprise attack from the back. We use stunweapons (gelammo, pepperpunch, tasers and shockgloves) as long as no shedim turn up. Hopefully the yaks wont get in our way too much. Then we make our escape, Paddy trailing on the bike, to I donīt know where.

I asked Carla & Ethain to find a place to lay low, but obviously, they where bussy, so we might end up in los locos turf again. Maybe Paddy & Jack can find s.th. cozzy during the day. Iīll also organize some cheap discardable disguise for us and the van as mentioned above.

I will be done with my preparations and ready to meet at about 7 or 7:30 pm - probably somewhere outside International District.

any additional idears are very wellcome smile.gif
adamu
Mister Juan - dude, condolences on your mishap! Weren't you in the hospital earlier this year, as well? Take care of yourself man! You are not allowed to die until the GM gives you permission.

Like MK said, we have had you caring for Etain and her drug problem while the others did scouting (you can do an IC if you feel like it), and now they are almost ready to go grab Kenichi.

MK Ultra, as we discussed before, accessing Grid Guide is not a real problem (for reasons explained earlier - let me know if you need a refresher on that), so you have your admin access to Grid Guide LOCAL TO YOUR STRIKE ZONE.
The only problem with your shopping list is the SWD uniform with accompanying RFID.
Just the uniform would require a foray into the black market, with the RFID much harder to get.
Do you think Wuxing makes such things easily available to folk such as yourselves?!
Anything that would appear to officially identify you as a service employee of a big corp will be controlled.
Not saying you can't get it - just that you will have to, well, get it.

Everything else on your prep list is fine.
MK Ultra
Ah, sry to be unclear. Actually didnt want to get any official uniforms, just paper flats printed like real uniforms (i thought it would be possible to customize one-way flats at the nicer vending machines). Nothing that would hold up close inspection, but hopefully good enough for a casual look. If they really look crappy, we may opt not to use them.

Same with the RFID, just changing the flats integrated standard rfids to cast some copied/fakeed swd adds.

Of course if possible, we could maybe get better faked uniforms (blue trousers and shirts or whatever) and just fake the logos as stickers. I just dont want to spend a lot of cash. And if possible Iīd also sniff out some real swd signatures to send from the rfids. If you think i have enough time for that, i will make some rolls to see if it works.
Mister Juan
Alright! I've read up on everything I've missed, and made up a quick post.
I've got the plan down, and I'm ready to rock n roll!

Only thing is that Conall is actually rather bad at "stunning" his opponents wink.gif His combat abilities rely on the fact he can deal insane amount of physical damage in a very short time. In a nutshell, he only strikes to kill.

I'll have him summon a spirit before we get to the bar, so we at least have some form of backup. I would have suggested a Beast Spirit, since Conall has a better dicepool with those, but they're pretty much only good for straight up combat. I might go with an Air Spirit instead, since they have Accident, Concealment, Confusion and Movement... all of which can be used for our escape if need be.

As for a disguise, Conall will simply be wearing his bike helmet, which should be enough to hide his identity (and protect his head nyahnyah.gif)
adamu
Mister Juan - thanks for the big post! Great reading, and really plugs a hole in our narrative. If we ever see Vegas again, I am sure she will appreciate all you have given her to work with.
And great job with Carla's part - I think you perfectly captured the BlueRondo played her.

I think we are rapidly approaching jump-off for the kidnap, so choose your spirit and get it summoned whenever you are ready (after dusk, of course!).

MK Ultra - you will need Forgery tests for this.
Standard Forgery + Agility for the flats/physical logo.
Forgery + Logic for the RFID, with successes limited by hits on a separate Computer + Edit program test.
Let me know your successes for use in Opposed Tests later.
Jack Robustus
With adamu officially running Carla for the moment we have been doing a lot of conversational IC at the temporary base in the barrio. I'll have Jack start swinging that conversation toward business next time I post. Originally Carla and Etain were supposed to secure a nice place to have our meeting with Kenichi, but based on MJ's IC post that did not happen. So Jack and Carla can spend their day working on that.

Any suggestions? ork.gif

MK Ultra
Hey hey, here are the dice rolls. Please tell me, what my impression is for how good/bad they are, as i wouldnīt want to use them, if they look too unconvincing.

In any case, itīs important, to not let the target/guards get a good look at the faked stuff, before the action starts, if thatīs possible. But thatīs our concern, not yours of course.

Uniforms 2
WiFi Profile 3 (computer 6)

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
sorry about another lag
work just suffocating this week
still plan two bumps for this week, but they will be my Friday and Saturday evenings (24 and 48 from now).
I'll try to spread them out better next week.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Jan 3 2010, 05:08 PM) *
Hey hey, here are the dice rolls. Please tell me, what my impression is for how good/bad they are, as i wouldnīt want to use them, if they look too unconvincing.

Well, in SR4 2 successes is supposed to be pretty good, and 3 very good. So they look pretty good.
But you know it is an opposed test, and you know how many successes you have, so you can decide whether to use the forgeries or not.
MK Ultra
Ja, but what would it be, a Perception test?
adamu
Yup - pp. 134 = Perception + Intuition

Obviously there will be situational modifiers, especially based on how motivated they are to pay how much attention.
adamu
Jack - on that last post - I might have her make a suggestion, but don't know what you want vis a vis distance, type of neighborhood or whatever.

You are free to choose an area/type of location based on personal knowledge of Seattle, or SR source material, or you could just throw out some parameters and then roll Inuition + Map soft rating OR appropriate skill.

But basically, just let me know exactly what you want and we will try to get it done without taking too long.
Jack Robustus
Hey all, internet access tanked at my home so I'll be limited in my ability to post. No time today, but hopefully I'll get something out regarding the interrogation location Saturday latest. ork.gif
MK Ultra
Iīm also sorry, that i am quiet bussy these days, but i plan to get up a short ic on the weekend, dealing with the forgery stuff. to this end, i made a few rolls, iīll detail the reasons later, so just ignore them for now. just want to bring them up, so i can write the rest whereever i might be ...

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
No apologies necessary from anyone for being busy - actually makes me feel not so bad!

But I am lurking about, and will be back again once more this week.
MK Ultra
see ic for the intention of the rolls above. i just wanted to evaluate (should be critical successes for both, maybe thatīs worth something) the forgeries and cover the flaws as good as possible.
adamu
worthy effort, MK.
I will add one success to your forgery for the uniforms.
MK Ultra
So, I will be gone for three weeks. I might be abled to read up on things occasionaly, but probably wont post. If our elven combat mage and our ork bodyguard have the time to post, please dont hasitate to go on with the grab without me. Otherwise, maybe you could use the time to find some other place then the twinsīflat, I am sure they would appreciate. I dont really have a great Idea though. If we just try to get everything done in the van. Maybe find some nice parking spots at least, like Wuxing-affiliated shopping areas or at least the perimeter of such places. It might not slow our trackers down much, but at least Wuxing/Triades are competiters of both MCT/Yaks & Aztech (unless Aztech made it into the Pacific Prosperity Group and is all cozzy with Wuxing by now - thatīs up to the GM as there is no current official info on this afaik), so they might at least be less willing to help them.
adamu
Well people, I am very sorry to say that I will be unable to continue GMing this game.

Maybe I am making too much of it, but it is really twisting at me right now just to type these words. I really feel like I am bringing something that was very important to me to an end. And with so many plans and dreams for it as yet unfulfilled.

And I must most abjectly apologize for just leaving everyone hanging without a word for a full month. That was just rude, and I am sorry.

My only excuse is that I have been angst-ridden on a daily basis over this - I have sat down to type this and then changed my mind half a dozen times. Kept on trying to think of a realistic way to carry on.

But the fact is that I just don't have the time. More responsibility at work, obligations at church that I try to take very seriously, and most important, my little Temperance is running around the house now and wanting lots of attention, and her little sister will be here in just a few months.

I know it is terrible timing to cut things off, but I think we all know perfectly well that it has been literally years since I have provided the same quality game I did for the first half of the campaign.
The clincher is that even if I found time to carry on, I simply won't have the mental or temporal resources to bring the quality back up.

So let me just say that it has been a real honor to play with such an excellent group of gamers. And by group I mean the whole "double-group" - if only the grand plans for the dovetail could have been brought to fruition.
You people have really been excellent, both as gamers and game-friends.

Finally, while some people basically play one character for one campaign, there are a lot of other people that like to keep a character active even if a game ends. So if there are any of you that need loose ends tied up for your characters so that they will be transportable to another game, just let me know. I'll keep monitoring the board for a while, and most of you have at least my e-mail. We can work out final karma, and disposition of whatever other issues you need resolved.

Once again, it has been a great privilege and pleasure, and I apologize for having to leave off my responsibilities.
Adam
Jack Robustus
Adamu, I sincerely thank you for this experience. While I doubt that I will participate in forum gaming again, it was nice to get a feel for it. ork.gif
adamu
Sweet final post, Jack.
MK Ultra
I can only say Thank you. It was a wonderful game, the best i ever had on the net - and quiet likely the best online game i ever will have!

Itīs unlikely, that i will play John again still it would be nice to have final Karma fixed and maybe know what was your rough idea about the latent awakening, if that dos not make any extra work for you.

If you get around to do that synopsis, iīd also be very curious, but dont bother if you dont have the time!

Thanks again - if you ever start a game (as gm or player - or maybe something u keep playing that might be open for new applicants) again, please let me know. Id be very interested in sharing another gaming experiance with you.

Same goes for the other players in this and our sister-thread. I know what names Iīll be looking for in future games!

Thanks again. It was really outstanding. U are one of the very best GMs i ever encountered - table games included - I salute to you and whish you all the best.
adamu
MK - no problem - all that you seek will be in a PM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012