Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
adamu
QUOTE (Vegas)

So what movie DID you watch last night, since it certainly wasn't The Little Mermaid nyahnyah.gif

If I told you no one would have a chance at the karma.
Konsaki
QUOTE (adamu)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jan 26 2007, 09:44 PM)
I sure wish CFs were like that...  sarcastic.gif
EDIT: Never mind, I remembered I can learn mine in a DAY, not WEEKS... I'm a dumbass...  nyahnyah.gif

Actually - not talking about learning, talking about DESIGNING - as in, a whole new completely original spell....

Sorta like a touch version of the Orgasm spell? biggrin.gif
Vegas
Yeah but you posted that right as I was posting my question...

*thinks*

I'll have to wait and see because nothing is sticking out right now
Konsaki
Adamu,

We could be listing off movies till doomsday and still might not get the correct one... You have to remember that I'm a little out of the 'new releases' loop since I've been stuck in Korea for a while. nyahnyah.gif
Not like I've ever watched new movies really... biggrin.gif
adamu
Actually, most movies make it to Korea long before they hit Japan.

I will grant that if you have not seen the movie I saw last night, you will almost certainly not figure out the answer.
Vegas
Hey Adam,

Confirmation on rules. If Etain casts a sustained spell without a sustaining focus and tries to cast a second spell immediately after that...

A) Is there a modifier for the second spell casting + drain
B) Does the initial spell cease as soon as she begins to cast the second, or would it last long enough for the effects to almost "overlap" instead?

I.E. Casting Trid Phantasm first then immediately casting Imp. Invis. on herself afterwards. Would the Phantasam last long enough to "cover" her casting of invisibility? I guess thats the question I'm looking for the answer for.

(you can probably guess where I'm going with that biggrin.gif )
adamu
Sustaining a spell means you can keep it going as long as you concentrate on it. It will keep going no matter how many other spells you subsequently manage to cast.
Sustaining applies a -2 blanket modifier to all tests per spell sustained (including casting a second spell).
Note, however, that that modifier does not apply to drain tests.

[ Spoiler ]
Vegas
Adamu

[ Spoiler ]

Nevermind, just completely blind and stupid. *sighs*
Vegas
Moving on...

Approx. how many people outside of Paddy's men and the Airport security guys are around Etain within say... 30 feet or so?

Trying to gauge the viability of creating a "panic" within which to escape.
MK Ultra
Adamu

Maybe it could be Costello and Costigan leading the way?
A review of The Departed was the first link google provided on these two names.
Funily, that was the first current release that I thought of could contain a scene like Etains, after it reminded me of Kiss of the Dragon and Mission Impossible. But I googled the names, because 'Albert & Costello' clicked in the back of my head, but I didn´t know what/who that was anymore smile.gif

Oh well, now I need to watch 'The Departed'!I thought I could wait until the DVD comes out nyahnyah.gif

EDIT:
BTW
[ Spoiler ]

EDIT2: Now you have made me read your latest IC for Etain, before I could catch up with the whole story sarcastic.gif

Oh my, how can I ever play Shadowrun again without googling and 'wikipedia-ing?' in real-time biggrin.gif

EDIT3: Can somebody please tell me, who "Albert and Costello" are frown.gif Are they publishers or what? My Datasearch-Skill is only 0 and my brows utility 1, so I can´t find anything with a threshold higher then 0 unless I burn Edge and that, I might still need for GMing SR tomorrow.
adamu
Congratulations to MK Ultra for getting 1 karma in my silly contest.

Costigan and Costello are DiCaprio and Nicholson's characters from The Departed (needed some quick Irish names...). And I asked the OOC question immediately after sending the IC post with them in it.

MK - I have never heard of Albert and Costello, but Abbot and Costello were a legendary comedy duo from, like, a zillion years ago. If you have ever heard of the "Who's on first?" routine, that was them that did it first, I think.

adamu
QUOTE (Vegas)

Approx. how many people outside of Paddy's men and the Airport security guys are around Etain within say... 30 feet or so?

Like, a bazillion.

And also
[ Spoiler ]
MK Ultra
So, Who´s on first?
Never mind, I know it ;P

EDIT: Yay, so my Edge Burn emergency reraise Good Karma reserve is full again! biggrin.gif
adamu
Okay everyone - I will be unable to get online for the next three or four days starting now. Just no one panic that your GM has disappeared (all too common on this forum), and you know I will get back with the game as soon as I possibly can.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

If he gives me the same nuber Alice gave to me, I´ll flip the piece of paper onto his desk and leave. If he gives me another number or dos not give me one yet, I´ll burn and scatter the note with Alice´s contactnumber after his bodyguards dumped me.
On the way back, I´ll try another attampt at navigation - which I know is hard, since I don´t know my exact location. But once I´m back home, I´ll use the simsense recording, to backtrack the second ride sequence by sequence, memento-style. This isn´t anything important, however.

If I´m not contacted earlyer, I´ll spend the rest of the morning to relax some and get a bit more sleep and then go to the electronics shop in the afternoon and ask if I can help ot some, or just hang around.
Vegas
QUOTE (adamu)
QUOTE (Vegas @ Jan 27 2007, 04:56 AM)

Like, a bazillion.

And also
[ Spoiler ]

Sweet, that'll make the getaway so much easier.. I hope. biggrin.gif

So here's the "plan" as best as I can lay it out, obviously depending on just what the 2 adepts as well as airport security do.

She's gonna cast Trid Phantasm, overcasted at force 7. The phantasm will work for an area of effect of 21m from her center point. It will be first of some type of "explosion" between herself and the 2 adepts + airport security and then subsequently appear to set off the fire alarm to create panic/fleeing crowd in her immediate vicinity and along the way as she moves the area of effect (if that's possible, I wasn't sure if she'd have to recast once she left the initial area, won't really be necessary if she can get "lost" in the crowd). Once the crowd starts to flee, she's going to attempt to get herself inside that mass exodus from the terminal and cast Improved Invisibility overcasted at force 7 as well, and use that as her "getaway".

Obviously I won't be writing anything up or posting anything beyond a little pre-spell fluff before we resolve the whole thing. biggrin.gif

Rolls are as follows for the spells.

Casting Trid Phantasm (Overcasting force 7)
Magic (5) + Spellcasting (5) + Mentor Bonus (2) = 12 dice
[5] 4 4 2 2 [5] 1 [5] [5] [5] 1 3 Hits:5
Drain Resist (7/2 + 3) = 6
Willpower (4) + Charisma (5) = 9 dice
[6] [5] 3 [6] [6] 1 [6] 3 4 Hits:5
Drain: 1 physical

Cast Improved Invis (Overcasting force 7)
Magic (5) + Spellcasting (5) + Mentor Bonus (2) – Sustained Spell (2) = 10 dice
[5] [5] [5] [6] 3 3 3 [5] 2 3 Hits:5
Drain Resist (7/2 + 1)
Willpower (4) + Charisma (5) = 9 dice
[5] [5] 4 [6] [6] 2 [5] [6] 2 Hits:6
No Drain

[ Spoiler ]
Vegas
P.S. was The Departed worth seeing? I had wanted to catch it when it was in the theaters, but I'm horrible about seeing movies when they come out.
Vegas
Just a friendly warning...

Basically I am gonna be out of pocket and mostly away from computers starting possibly as early as Wed. and until Tues. of next week. I have a local con this weekend and I have a show that I'm doing on Monday that is a really big deal for my personal business so.... yeah. GM's feel free to heard my characters along if necessary. I'll try to pop on when I can, but I make no promises, hence me stating I'll be out for a week. biggrin.gif

Sorry for those that see this multiple times.
adamu
Hello everyone - I am back to the world of computer access, but my personal situation remains quite precarious. My plan at the moment is to keep up with the games I am a player in (since that takes about 15 minutes a week), but don't expect any serious GMing for a few days more. Sorry - life is just really a pain right now.
BlueRondo
Welcome back.
MK Ultra
WB. Hope your life gets less complicated (in a good way), soon!
adamu
Hey - because you guys have, for like half a year now, been the most dedicated group of players I could ever have hoped for, I feel obligated to keep checking in and letting you know that this game remains very much ongoing, and I remain completely invested in it.
The thing is, I just had some surgery, and I am just not yet at a point where I can remain in a sitting-at-the-computer position for very long at a stretch. Am prioritizing getting well, but am chomping at bit to get back into things on my usual daily basis.
Thank you for bearing with me. Hope to do lots of bumps within a few days.
adamu
Mister Juan
You just worry about getting well mate. We'll just hang out and drink beer till you're back wink.gif
MK Ultra
Sounds like a plan to me, MisterJuan.

Here´s mud in your eye, adamu!
adamu
Mister Juan

Are you ready to bump to your meet at Penumbra?
If you have other things to do during the day, go for it.
When you are ready for the meet, IC your arrival and I will IC your entrance (of course OOC any special instructions you have).
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
2nd wave, John

If he gives me the same nuber Alice gave to me, I´ll flip the piece of paper onto his desk and leave. If he gives me another number or dos not give me one yet, I´ll burn and scatter the note with Alice´s contactnumber after his bodyguards dumped me.

ADAMU - He gives you the same number. IC as you wish.

On the way back, I´ll try another attampt at navigation - which I know is hard, since I don´t know my exact location. But once I´m back home, I´ll use the simsense recording, to backtrack the second ride sequence by sequence, memento-style. This isn´t anything important, however.

ADAMU - for that effort, sure, why not. You figure out where you THINK it is, down to a couple of blocks in the International District. If you want to narrow it down past that, we'll IC it.

If I´m not contacted earlyer, I´ll spend the rest of the morning to relax some and get a bit more sleep and then go to the electronics shop in the afternoon and ask if I can help ot some, or just hang around.

ADAMU - you'll be contacted at about noon. Do what you want till then, and once we are up to that, I'll send an IC boost.

See in-line response.
adamu
Vegas

Just going as far as you illusion - you don't have to simulate the fire alarms and sprinklers going off - you are casting a physical illusion and you beat the object resistance rating, so the systems will be fooled into activating just as if there'd been a real explosion.
Your 7 meter radius area of effect will NOT move with you - Area spells are cast on a point in space. But naturally the panic and fire extinguishing will just spread naturally (assuming all goes as planned).

So go ahead and IC casting the spell, assuming that is still your plan after a week of thinking about it, and I will IC the response of the other people present, and away we will go.
MK Ultra
adamu

Nice to see you healthy enough to spend some more time on the net again - or else impressed to see you moving on with the game despite it causing you physical pain (you know you don´t have to wink.gif).

I´ll put up my IC asap - I´m optimistic about that beeing in something like 2 or 3 hours.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (adamu)
Mister Juan

Are you ready to bump to your meet at Penumbra?
If you have other things to do during the day, go for it.
When you are ready for the meet, IC your arrival and I will IC your entrance (of course OOC any special instructions you have).

Alright mate. IC'ed like you instructed.
Conall is basically leaving his changes of clothes and bag at his room, but bringing everything else with him (well.... what little he has wink.gif)
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

Glad to see you posting again, Adamu, at least a little bit. I don't want to advance too fast without your consent, so just let me know what you want.
Vegas
Adamu

First of all, glad you're back! Hope that means you're doing better and healing well. Secondly I've gone ahead and tossed up the post, I'll await further instructions wink.gif
adamu
QUOTE (BlueRondo)
Carla, First Wave

Glad to see you posting again, Adamu, at least a little bit. I don't want to advance too fast without your consent, so just let me know what you want.

Thanks - good that you took a break - you will be getting one more call from Mr. Chu before you leave for the 10 pm meeting, so please wait for me to post that.
adamu
Yikes!!! Time presses!

I have IC posts for Vegas and Mister Juan broiling in my head, but it is just not going to happen tonight. Soon I hope.
adamu
Vegas

As noted earlier - the area of your phantasm is a 7 meter radius, not 21 meters.

But that hardly matters, since your Illusion is a big flame/explosion thing between you and the adepts - hardly need more than a 14 meter diameter for that - actually a lot less will do.
In case there is any question, my interpretation of this spell is that the Area refers to the size of the Illusion itself - but anyone or anything that can sense that illusion may be affected, regardless of distance.
And as I said, the fire systems all go off as a natural effect of the illusion.

What I need to know now is - do you Sustain the spell, keeping the fire going? If so, where do you put it/how do you have it act? Or do you drop the spell, now that the "explosion" has happened?

Besides that, can you confirm for me your next action? I think your plan is to immediately cast the Imp. Inv. (as already rolled for) and then join the fleeing crowd and make for an exit?
adamu
BlueRondo, MK Ultra, Mister Juan

Okay, obviously MJ and I have to play out this little meet at Penumbra, but shouldn't take too long.

You all may have things you want to do before the meet at Meg's Place. Now is the time to do those things...

I am going to post a "timeless" IC description of Meg's Place sometime soon - tonight or tomorrow. Once that is up, whenever you are free with whatever else you want to do, go ahead and IC your respective arrivals at the diner. If you want to be early, better post soon, because it's first-come-first-serve on staking out timestamps - once someone arrives at a given time, everything at the Diner has to be after that - NO TIME WARPS, please.

All posts for this meet will be on the FIRST WAVE page. Starting with this meet, if you haven't already, everyone please change your Bold header for each post to Location, not your name, just as is being done in Up from the Bottom.

Yes, this meet will be the end of MK and MJ's presence on the Second Wave page.
Vegas
Adamu

Planned to sustain the spell long enough for her to cast Imp. Invis. and cause as much chaos and distraction until she can disappear both figuratively and literally within the fleeing crowds. I'd say she keeps the aspect of the fire going for an additional 15-20 seconds or so before having it dissipate as if the fire supression systems have quenched it.

Question concerning Imp. Invis. if it has been cast upon herself, does this include the items on her person/being carried or is her bag of limited gear just kinda "floating" out there in space unless it has Imp. Invis. casted upon it as well biggrin.gif Because it'd be kinda creepy seeing a bag just floating in space, and make it SO much easier for her to be tracked/chased wink.gif

Do you need anything else from me OOC or should I start writing up a post... or are you "orchestrating"/overseeing this maneuver? biggrin.gif
Konsaki
I always thought of the Invis spells turning everything on your person invisible with you, otherwise you would be just an empty set of cloths and make the spell worthless unless you were nude... For some characters it wouldnt be so bad (Female humans and elves), but for some (Trolls) you just dont need that mental image... nyahnyah.gif
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

First in biggrin.gif
I am aware that I said black eye and pink tie, not the other way around ;P

BTW, according to New Seattle, the 3 neighborhoods surrounding are Normandy Park (AA) in the west, Des Moines (A) in the south and Tukwila © in the north-east. Sea-Tac, the area directly outside the airport had a security rating of B.

Once inside, I´ll (conveniently) act like someone waiting for somebody. After some minutes, I´ll order an alcohol-free beer. Around 2125, I´ll order another alcohol-free beer (starting to flirt -unsuccessfully- with a waitress (or patron, if none is available)), which will be consumed halfway by 2145, when I start ordering shots, which I will spit into my half drained beer, so I don´t get drunk. By the second shot, I´ll bind my tie around my head like a bandana and start humming the music played in the location (or some random web-feed, if there is none).

Here are some rolls
[ Spoiler ]
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

What would you say the distance is from the church to Meg's Place, Adamu? I'm wondering how long it will take Carla to get there on foot.
adamu
QUOTE (BlueRondo)
Carla, First Wave

What would you say the distance is from the church to Meg's Place, Adamu? I'm wondering how long it will take Carla to get there on foot.

30-40 minutes. The worst part of the walk is your own neighborhood - where of course you are safe (at least, from street crime). After that you are into a mix of white trash residential and light industrial (lots of warehouses and freight/delivery services associated with all the air traffic nearby).

Like MK notes, and as we have discussed before, this is a B security rating neighborhood, but as I have stated, that is official Lone Star information, and they obviously inflate ratings to make themselves look good. Outside your own little D/E enclave, the ground between you and the diner is a patchy mix of B and C. The diner itself is B by day, C by night.
adamu
MK Ultra

You detect no tails.

Your matrix search gets you all the public info on this place, which isn't very exciting - greasy soy menu - and apparently they serve hard liquor - fine, whatever, but keep in mind that most places like this in Seattle don't. The place is part of a cluster of businesses serving truckers working in and out of and around the airport.
Your search also indicates that some smuggling hand-offs have been known to take place here, but strictly low-level stuff. Still, it is enough that the people in the place like to make sure things stay quiet so the place avoids law enforcement attention.

adamu
Vegas

Okay, so you are sustaining the spell (cool, since I see you dinged yourself already on the Imp Inv casting), which includes continuing to manipulate it, so you are keeping the fire between you and the adepts.

The imp inv (and regular inv) definitely affect all the stuff you are wearing and carrying (within reason - no holding hands with two trolls and making them invisible too - you get my meaning).

Of course I am managing the scene - but naturally hoping to hear from you as much as possible. That means we will probably be alternating IC posts in teensy baby steps until you are clear or you are caught (notice how my last IC post covered about one second of game time...).

So please IC your actions for about three seconds - casting spell (as already rolled), what you do with the illusion, where you move, etc. I'll pick up with another IC after that.
adamu
Oh, and MK Ultra --- from now on you should be IC posting on First Wave.

I understand that you posted on 2nd because I asked for no time-warps, and the others haven't gotten that far yet.

Everyone, I posted the description of the place on Second Wave for the same reason, but let's have Carla and Conall arrive on the First Wave page at some point after the time stamp on MK's last IC post.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

A´ght. I posted in 2nd, because the IC contained so much stuff prior to arriving at Meg´s. I considered moving it, when I was done, but didn´t bother, to.

It´s ok if they don´t hand out hard stuff - I´d find something else to do. I.e. I´d put in a shot froma small, paperwraped bottle (no actual liquor) into my beer instead.

What´s the Availability and pricing range of Longhaul in your game? Most importantly, is it R or F (or compleatly legal, but not proscription free)?

From the description of the place´s patrons, it´s probably best my 'date' didn´t show up ;p

BTW, I´m going to ware my armored suite, but with a flashy colored T-Shirt and running-shoes. Plus a thin rain-parker that can conveniently be worn inside-out, neon-orange on the (now) outside and black on the inside.
The Moai Comlink will be in his inside breast-pocket. He´ll be waring some fashionable, but totally function-less glasses.

Also:
[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: That should be an interesting roll, too:
[ Spoiler ]

I´ll also turn on the Moai in passive mode somewhere in that hour and send a text-message to some random flirt-chat I have visited with that com during the last 4 weeks.
adamu
MK Ultra

Don't worry about the small stuff - page/liquor - it's not a big deal and it's already posted. But I do appreciate your flexibility.

For Longhaul, in a place like this, any idiot can buy it - it's like scoring pot in a college dorm. Let's say a base Y20/dose...it's a working class thing.

If you are serious and want to buy in bulk to become a dealer, I'd rather handle that through roleplaying than just a lot of dice rolling. Legally, it is F up to 10 doses - over that amount and you are suddenly classified as a dealer and it is R.

But basically, this sort of stuff is not that hard to find, and if you want it, just go through some role-playing motions and go for it. But I DEFINITELY need to know each and every time a PC takes any addictive drug....

The tie is no problem.

So - is that die roll just to find someone to flirt with??? I am a little confused...
MK Ultra
The Longhaul question was just out of interest. F usually means illegal/no licenses available, dosn´t it? I guess you mean it´s legal for consumers and R for dealers or R for users and F for dealers.

The scan was for scouting purpose, to see who´s there and who´s active/passive/hidden.
That information should help to find a flirt victim too, of course.

I allways try to put only those actions I´m sure I can do into the IC. Everything in OOC is totally flexible.
adamu
Dammit - sorry - I got R and F backwards. Low volume is R, having lots is F.
BlueRondo
Okay, Carla has arrived at Meg's Place. Here's a search roll to see if she spots Krait while looking for a seat. If she doesn't see him, she'll go sit down somewhere.

Perception (3) + Intuition (4) + Distraction? (-2, since she's looking for a seat) + Smoke Visibility (-2) = 3 dice

2, 3, 5 = 1 success
adamu
Wow, BlueRondo, you really hammered yourself on the perception test mods. No problem, though - Carla is smart, and would certainly give a closer look to the only elf in the place.

MK - Carla also sticks out like a sore thumb in this place, so you will certainly notice her entrance, and notice her noticing you.

Up to you two now - just don't move past 10:00, so MJ can make his entrance at some point.
Vegas
Adamu

Can I get a ruling from you before I proceed? I understand that Mana based spells can only affect living things or entities composed of mana (i.e. the Spirit of Man). However, would Influence (a mana-based spell) be capable of working against a Spirt of Man? My gut reaction is yes based off of what's in the BBB, unless I'm missing some critical ruling/eratta somewhere smile.gif

I would really love to have a whole moment of "This is not the Elf you are looking for" here wink.gif

If that doesn't work, perhaps it's time for a little spirit vs. spirit combat, hmm? Bring out the beasties.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012