Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
Mister Juan
True.
Vegas
Good point. I was going too fast and didn't remove that from my dice roller smile.gif

In case it matters, extra 2 charisma dice
Charisma (2) = 2 dice
[5] 4 Hits:1
Mister Juan
In case it matters: seeing into his sister's plan, Conall will simply attempt to restrain Patrick further... as to make sure he doesn't hurt her.

Unarmed Attack (subduing; improving grip)
Dicepool: 8 + 2 (superior position)
Rolls: 5,1,4,3,3,4,5,2,2,4
Hits: 2
adamu
Vegas & Mister Juan

Okay, the Forgive line puts him on the defensive. Conall easily holds him down. The heal spell is devastating. He's not gone yet, but his physical integrity is totally starting to disintegrate. You guys can IC all that.
Vegas
Let's hear it for good girls gone bad... or something. biggrin.gif

And now for the refrain

Casting Heal
Magic (5) + Spellcasting (5) + Low Pain Tollerance (-2) = 8 dice
[5] [5] 1 3 [6] [5] 3 [6] Hits:5

Drain Resist
Willpower (4) + Charisma (5) = 9 dice
[6] 1 [6] 3 4 [5] 1 4 3 Hits:3
adamu
MK Ultra

Sorry to have kept you waiting so long. I have been thinking a lot about your situation. I am afraid what I have concluded may be disappointing....

Of course my original plotline calls for assassination attempts against you shortly after your complete departure from RFS.
But looking at the details of your instructions, and the huge depths of your precautions, I really don't think a hastily thrown together attempt will have a good shot at you, and by the time the hit teams put together a more elaborate scheme, you will already be "dead."

So I think it will be a big exercise in "lots of hard work for nothing" to make you keep typing huge posts of precautions when it is clear that your meticulous planning has already outdone whatever I could - without using GM God-powers - have come up with for the initial NeoNET teams.

So here is what we need to do -
We need to get you to your Seattle safehouse.
You can have the gear that you asked Alice to get you (note from your sheet that you already have an armored suit), but you will owe her Y3,000.
You can RP whatever you like with your staff, but in the end they will all stay in Boston for whatever personal reasons or because you tell them to.
You can do your death however you like. It might be good if your runners let you know that they stopped an assassination attempt on you, or you can IC the hit itself if you like.
After you get to Seattle, you need time to pass until August. Assume you have enough money to make your Lifestyle Payments until end-September. Be on vacation, or just be hiding.

In summation - in game terms, I have ruled that your escape to Seattle, along with your faked death, are successful. I am leaving it to you to IC yourself to mid-August with the gear I have approved.
If you could PM me with a final gear sheet - chargen stuff + stuff I approved, I would appreciate it.
By August, you need to come up with some IC motivation to "NEED WORK" or "NEED MONEY" or some reason why you would be a shadowrunner. I can help you with that if you give me some hooks.

Your IC can be short or long or whatever you want.
Once you are good to go, the twins should also be hitting Seattle and we will be able to think about making two teams.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Sounds cool, I´m on it!

BTW, Happy New Year Everyone smile.gif
BlueRondo
It's 2007 and I still keep thinking that the '90s just ended.
adamu
That's okay - I keep on acting like the 90s just ended.

Happy New Year everyone.
adamu
MJ & Vegas

Sort of hesitant to move forward w/o Vegas getting a chance to chime in with any RP she wants. On the other hand, Vegas, if you do not intend any, that is totally fine.
It's my naptime anyway (vacation rocks). If you haven't posted something by the time I check back later today, I will move forward.
Vegas
Posted. smile.gif

Look at me! Trying to keep you from your nap! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Vegas
Adamu

Quick question... I'm assuming Etain's body is still up in her bedroom and not somehow magically been transported into the library... though I could be wrong, it's been known to happen. Occasionally.

Just wanted to know before I work up another post and make myself look like an ass.
adamu
Vegas

Got my nap, and apparently I needed it, for you are absolutely right and I was mistaken. Your body would be in the bedroom. I will edit the set-up post now, so there should be no need for you to edit anything. Sorry about the mix-up.
BlueRondo
Well, I'm off to get my wisdom teeth removed. If I'm not posting in the next couple of days, it's possible that something went horribly wrong.
adamu
YIKES!!! Good luck with that. Take it easy and we'll hear from you when we hear from you.
Vegas
Good luck BlueRondo! Try to drink some Pineapple juice! It's awesome for taking down the swelling! I know fro experience, unfortunately smile.gif
MK Ultra
My theeth´s extraction went pritty smooth the other year - I wish you the same.

EDTI: I hate pineapple!!!
BlueRondo
I'm no fan of pineapple either, but thanks for the suggestion, Vegas.

Anyway, everything went smoothly, so I'm back in business.
adamu
BlueRondo

Glad teeth okay (or just, glad teeth are GONE, and YOU are okay).

Envelope contains Y5,000 in used hundreds, cash currency from the IBOJ (Imperial Bank of Japan), and a small slip of paper on the center of which is typed - Apartment -- 45A#461. You know that is not her address...looks to your 2070 self like a security code, maybe for a lock.
adamu
BlueRondo

Not criticizing your last IC post at all, but just want you to know that it really doesn't leave me with anything to do. If you need anything, let me know. Otherwise the ball is still in your court. Not trying to rush, just keeping things clear.
BlueRondo
Oh, I was hoping you'd describe what was in the envelope. I guess it's just the 5,000 nuyen.gif , but I just wanted to make sure there was nothing else.
adamu
BlueRondo

Yeah, the money...and...the note. I can't help but get the idea from this and your last IC post that maybe you were in a hurry and didn't read the entire post above...?
Mister Juan
Looks like the Bottom is coming for Conall biggrin.gif
MK Ultra
Meet you there wink.gif
Vegas
Damnit, does that make Etain the last to truly hit bottom? nyahnyah.gif

can't wait to see how *THAT* happens now biggrin.gif
MK Ultra
Why? Of course, the 'Team' will come and 'rescue' her from the Eire! nyahnyah.gif
Vegas
Casting Mindlink
Magic (5) + Spellcasting (5) + Low Pain Tolerance (-2) = 8 dice
[5] [5] 1 3 [6] [5] 3 [6] Hits:5

Drain Resistance
Willpower (4) + Charisma (5) + Low Pain Tollerance (-2) = 7 dice
2 4 2 2 4 1 3 Hits:0
adamu
Vegas & MJ

Vegas, Etain hit bottom when she was assaulted. Conall when he was exiled.

Both of your Edge pools refresh right now.

MJ - all the stuff about taking no family assets doesn't affect your own gear/money list - you get to take everything you have paid BP for, but nothing else (about half of our group started the game totally rich - I have to keep coming up with excuses to keep them from staying that way!).
Roll for your starting cash - whatever pocket money Conall has at the moment - as though you had a Luxury Lifestyle.

Vegas - since you've already just stated the intention, now is the time to let you know OOC that getting to Seattle is all on Etain. Nothing is going to "push" her there - in fact, the powers-that-be will do all they can to keep you home...

You guys can play out the current scene between yourselves as long as you like. I will step in the moment Conall leaves Etain's quarters.

Wounds - Etain has already had magical healing and so forth, so she will have to "do the time" to get rid of her copious wounds. And Vegas, if you still want to learn those two spells, we'll need that IC at some point.
For simplicity's sake, Conall's wounds will be magically healed completely before he leaves. I'll take care of that.
adamu
Man, this is soooo weird. I know it has been addressed on the admin board, but I am usually the ONLY person on the board for the last few days. I think it really is a mistake - I think there are people around but they just don't show up for each other. But it is really weird....
Vegas
QUOTE (adamu)
Vegas, Etain hit bottom when she was assaulted.

Both of your Edge pools refresh right now.

Vegas - since you've already just stated the intention, now is the time to let you know OOC that getting to Seattle is all on Etain. Nothing is going to "push" her there - in fact, the powers-that-be will do all they can to keep you home...

Wounds - Etain has already had magical healing and so forth, so she will have to "do the time" to get rid of her copious wounds. And Vegas, if you still want to learn those two spells, we'll need that IC at some point.

Adamu

It's all good, I always had it in my head that she was "hitting bottom" officially once she was out of the Tir, but I know the big event was the assault.

I'm working up some "plans" on how to get to Seattle, and what she'll be doing to get there, preperations, trying to find ways to stay in touch with Conall without getting caught, etc biggrin.gif

I know there's a lot to do with her based of karma spends and intentions so I'm looking forward to buckling down and getting it done soon. Hopefully MJ and I can finish this scene, bringing it to an awesome conclusion and we can get cracking on our individual storylines...

*excited!*

I forsee a lot of sleep in her future. And tears nyahnyah.gif
MK Ultra
Vegas did the proposed cooky-killing work or are most other people still invisible most of the time?
Vegas
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Vegas did the proposed cooky-killing work or are most other people still invisible most of the time?

What??!? I'm confused.
Mister Juan
He means: did you delete your cookies and refreshed the page to see if people now appear online?

Makes more sense?
Vegas
QUOTE (Mister Juan)
He means: did you delete your cookies and refreshed the page to see if people now appear online?

Makes more sense?

Yes, makes more sense now that I've had a nap and my head isn't quite threatening to explode quite so severly.

MK - Don't know, either their tweaking helped or deleting the cookies helped. I've seen more people "online" at a given time, but not a lot. *shrugs*
adamu
Wow, not for me. I am the only person on the board right now, and it's, like early Sunday evening in North America....
adamu
QUOTE (adamu @ Jan 4 2007, 04:18 AM)
BlueRondo

Envelope contains Y5,000 in used hundreds, cash currency from the IBOJ (Imperial Bank of Japan), and a small slip of paper on the center of which is typed - Apartment -- 45A#461.  You know that is not her address...looks to your 2070 self like a security code, maybe for a lock.

Don't mean to bludgeon you over the head with this. But I think you missed it in my post, and I don't think there is any way Carla could have overlooked it.

Feel free to edit your last IC post if you wish.
BlueRondo
Wow, I'm stupid. Thanks for the tolerance, Adamu.

So Carla takes a look around the apartment looking for anything suspicious. The first thing she inspects closely is the lock and door for any sign of forced entry. After that, she turns to the rest of the apartment. Here's a perception roll

Perception (3) + Intuition (4) + Active Searching (3) = 10 dice

2 4 5, 4 1 6 3, 2 1 1 = 2 hits.
adamu
BlueRondo

No worries at all.

And no sign of forced entry or struggle.

I'm going to put up an IC post describing the apartment in as much detail as a cursory search might reveal. You can ask follow up questions about anything you find. You can draw your own conclusions about what might be relevant.

Hopefully have the IC post up soon.
BlueRondo
Instead of posting IC, do you mind if I state what Carla inspects OOC? This will give you complete control over time progression.

The first thing Carla inspects is the trid display. She looks through the optical chip collection and checks if there is a chip left in the player. She also tries to turn on the trid to see what station/network Esmeralda may have been watching last.

adamu
BlueRondo

OOC is perfectly fine - as long as the results eventually get summarized IC.

First, just a little something on 2070 home electronics. You have probably already surmised all this, but just so we're on the same page -

The home terminal that is ubiquitous in any but the poorest home acts as a hub for the home's appliance network. It usually interacts closely with the residents' commlinks, and controls climate, lights, and all manner of personalized entertainment features. It generally also does everything a commlink does - acts as a PC and a phone. A lot of people like to use it as a phone when they are at home because it has a trid/vid image pick-up so the other person can see the user (commlinks often have the same feature, but obviously you then have to hold it in front of you and all they can see is your face). So it's a lot nicer. Same for entertainment - most people just sort of reach a sensory limit with AR all day. Sure, you could watch TV on your glasses with your commlink, but think - would you want to ONLY listen to music on headphones, even when you are at home and have a stereo? For most people, no.

So you know that for most people, this terminal stores a lot of info just like peoples' PCs, and also serves telecommunication functions.
Two things though - it is unpredictable what will be on it, as some people like to keep stuff on their comm, some on the terminal, and others both. All depends on the individual where their personal files are.
Also, of course, all information (and sometimes even turning the thing on) is protected in some way - password, encryption, whatever.

So - to your questions -
The chips are ALL exercise routines - Buns of Steel, Abs of Steel, Burn It Off, The Bootcamp Workout, even a Richard Simmons equivalent. A very nice library of various types of workout trideos.
You have no problem manually activating the entertainment features on the telecom - the last channel watched was the Cooking Channel.
adamu
Mister Juan

Okay, still waiting on your luxury lifestyle starting cash roll. Please do that and let me know the results before you post meeting you father again in the study.
Looking over your sheet, I see you have not set aside any points for fake ID. So unless you have some sort of proposal, looks like you will be SINless and no ID of any sort in Seattle.
I have already added the signet ring from your Bull's 50 to your gear list. Please let me know if you are proposing any changes at all to the original gear list you sent me.

If you think of any other final changes to your sheet you think should be made before you enter "regular play" in Seattle, now is the time to let me know.
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave.

Carla slides "Buns of Steel," and "Burn it Off" into her commlink and jumps through random portions of the videos to make sure that the labels are accurate.

She also tries to access the "control panel" portion of the telecom unit. Assuming she is presented with some sort of password/authorization prompt, she switches back to the cooking channel and turns off the unit.

Carla looks around the telecom storage unit for any kind of slip of paper lying around that might have a passcode written on it. Naturally, if she finds something that has a commcode or address or name scribbled on it, she'd take interest in that too. Hidden data/optical chips would be interesting as well.

Here's a search roll:

Perception 3 + Intuition 4 + Active Searching 3 = 10 dice
1 2 1 3 6 2 3 5 6 1 = 3 hits.
Mister Juan
Okay, still waiting on your luxury lifestyle starting cash roll. Please do that and let me know the results before you post meeting you father again in the study.

Here we go:
4d6+10 (leftovers) X 1 000
Rolls: 3,6,1,4,10 = 24
24 X 1000 = 24 000
Well, thats a lot of pocket change wink.gif

Looking over your sheet, I see you have not set aside any points for fake ID. So unless you have some sort of proposal, looks like you will be SINless and no ID of any sort in Seattle.

Well, I was seeing it as Conall probably getting himself one upon hitting the streets... when he feels its appropriate and when he touches bases with the "right people"

I have already added the signet ring from your Bull's 50 to your gear list. Please let me know if you are proposing any changes at all to the original gear list you sent me. If you think of any other final changes to your sheet you think should be made before you enter "regular play" in Seattle, now is the time to let me know.

I personally don't see anything else I would change... except maybe adding a few datachips (mainly books and things of the sort... flavor stuff) for kicks.

Vegas
Adamu

Couple of questions as I prepare to start a posting massacre once the twins storylines diverge...

1) Will Etain regain access to her commlink and telecom units?

2) Will Etain be able to leave her apartments and the grounds should she choose to do so?

3) I'm making the assumption that her contacts will all react differently in varying degrees once word gets out of all that happened, so I'm assuming any questions I have concerning that will come out in posts so...

4) Since she's hit bottom officially. do you want a finalized sheet from me and does any cash expenditure count against her starting cash, or are there still things that may be financed by the parents while she's still under their roof?

I think that's all I have for the moment... but should something else pop up, I'm sure I'll post again biggrin.gif
adamu
BlueRondo

The workout chips look like they are what they are.

You don't find anything hidden anywhere in the front room (there's nothing but carpet and walls and a curtained window besides the telecom).

You can easily manually access the entertainment features of the commlink, but yeah, it wants a wireless passcode to get into anything else.
adamu
Mister Juan

Yeah, that's a lot of pocket money, but I think it is realistic for the extremely wealthy and aristocratic family you are from. Anyway, other people have gotten "breaks" on their initial set-up in Seattle - the unpaid-for luxury-level starting cash is your "break." From here, establishing a lifestyle or getting an ID - all that will be up to you.
And I need to know what sort of financial instruments you are holding that in - especially since you will have no real ID, so the "regular" way of just having credit attached to your personal account somewhere is not possible.

Need to know exactly where you are keeping the signet ring.

Book-chips and other fluff - anything that has not Shadowrunning usefulness - is all fine. But if it goes beyond book-chips and other entertainment media, please let me know what it is.

I am not sure if you want to do an IC on your final preparations (you won't have a chance later) and/or your entrance into Conall's father's study.

If I don't hear from you in 24 hours or so, I will post your entrance.
adamu
QUOTE (Vegas @ Jan 9 2007, 11:38 PM)
Adamu

Couple of questions as I prepare to start a posting massacre once the twins storylines diverge...

ADAMU - Yeah, I can just imagine the post-frequency we are going to see from Vegas once Etain is really on her own.  Vegas Unchained!  I am very much looking forward to it - can never post too much for me.

1) Will Etain regain access to her commlink and telecom units?

ADAMU - Yes, although your mother may try talking to you again to make sure you are not naive about how your upper-crusty peers are going to treat you.

2) Will Etain be able to leave her apartments and the grounds should she choose to do so?

ADAMU - My sassy GM answer is - she can do whatever she can manage to do!  But to answer your question:  apartments, yes;  house, yes; grounds, no.  As for the last - you simply will not be allowed access to transportation for the time being, and the house will remain on semi-lockdown for a bit, although known visitors will now be allowed.
Of course you know that all this will pass eventually - but for our purposes, consider it indefinite.
Basically, there will not be a guard on you or your door, but all the security will be keeping an eye on you all the time - you have a definite sense that they know where you are at all times. 
And they don't try to hard to hide the fact that if you astrally perceive or project, they are keeping a close eye on that as well. 
But your room is not warded, and you are not under the constant guard that you were.

3) I'm making the assumption that her contacts will all react differently in varying degrees once word gets out of all that happened, so I'm assuming any questions I have concerning that will come out in posts so...

ADAMU - Yeah, I can either give you thumbnails of how they (on the surface) treat you now, or we can RP it - however you like, let me know.

4) Since she's hit bottom officially. do you want a finalized sheet from me and does any cash expenditure count against her starting cash, or are there still things that may be financed by the parents while she's still under their roof?

ADAMU - As usual, Etain will have the money to buy anything she wants - but it makes her realize something she'd never really had any reason to notice before - which is the extent to which your pursestrings are controlled by your mother.  She has just never exercised any control prior to this time.  But now, any uncharacteristic purchases or anything that might be "useful" may well find its purchase order cancelled and delivery inexplicably never made.
It is clear to you that your parents are not stupid, that they know you, and they fear you may do something silly like run away to Seattle.
Don't need a final sheet yet, and no, purchases that you manage to pull off will not count against your starting cash.

I think that's all I have for the moment... but should something else pop up, I'm sure I'll post again biggrin.gif

See in-line responses.
adamu
BlueRondo

Your medical training is enough to tell you that the vitamins are a real full-spectrum regimen - except for the total lack of calories, a person really could stay pretty healthy on this stuff if they could keep from just peeing it all out. All the bottles appear opened and only partially full, so someone's definitely taking them. One thing you notice is that dietary fiber supplements are particularly prominent.

The Ding Dongs are just Ding Dongs, as far as you can tell from opening the box.
BlueRondo
Adamu

What's the deal with trash cans in 2070? Does everyone have some sort of compactor/incinerator, or would there be any normal wastebaskets lying around (like in the bathroom or bedroom.) If so, Carla wants to look through those.
Vegas
Adamu

Thanks for the info. Up to you how you want to run contacts and their reactions. Might not hurt to have a little heads up so if I want to run with something I don't have to wait around on you for a one-liner or two smile.gif

*rubs her hands together*

Plotting, sweet plotting...

P.S. I might be shifting some karma expenditures that haven't really gone into effect yet if that's cool (ie. changes to spells that have yet to be learned).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012