Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
DireRadiant
Harriet- Third wave

Temporary Absence I'll be out of town this coming weekend august 12 and 13.

MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

I made two will rolls to resist the urge to work. Each turned up one hit but both where botches as well. I did not use any bonuses for Manoloīs support however. I assumed John will not do much further work, but wonīt compleatly relax either. In the end he would have rested enough, thus not showing any physical signs of exhaustion, but wonīt have regenerated mentally more then one a day with standard work and rest.

I will try to get info on whoever (if anyone) is replacing the Mayhurst on the junket as soon (and as much) as possible. Also that lobbyist should have reported back to Alice on the other two senators.
adamu
Triple Thank You

First, I really want to say thank you to everyone that has recognized that this project is a bit of a task for me and has gone out of their way to ease the scut work wherever possible.

Second, I very much appreciate that I do no think there has been even a single case of someone neglecting to time-stamp their IC posts. This is a very important point, and I really thank everyone for their conscientiousness.

Third, super brownie points for people that announce when they will be absent. I am probably not the only one of us that has experienced extreme frustration with disappearing players and even GMs, and that in turn creates stress and suspense when people are even temporarily not posting. The absence posts are really worth their weight in gold for keeping this game together.

Thanks everyone.
pragma
First Wave, Gregory

Do we have any ritual samples left over from Montresor's interrogation?

Forgot to specifically ask here , though it was hinted at in the IC post.
Cedric Rolfsson
Third Wave - Jonathan

Nothing to say, just wanted to use the cool color tag thingie. biggrin.gif
adamu
Cedric

Nice rolls, dude. Just like the series of maps showing Obi-wan how to find the tractor beam, the directory shows you exactly where the packet is. On your way there a very bitchin' looking icon (w/o analyze, first guess would be sec hacker) interrogates you, but I guess you can use the force or something to tell him you are supposed to be there (in other words, he didn't beat your stealth rating and thinks you are an employee). Please IC up to the file room and locating the file. If you want to take it, start rolling again.
Cedric Rolfsson
Adamu,

When I find the packet I'll run an Analyze Program on the area, looking specifically for any Data Bombs or other triggers. If I detect nothing then I'll use the Edit program to transfer the data file and then set about erasing all traces of it's existence.

I'm not real great on the hacking thing so here we go with the rolls.

Observe in Detail p. 136 using Matrix Perception = Analyze + Computer = 12 dice
You asked for 12 rolls and your target is 5 ... here are the results:

1: 6 + 3 = 9. ... Success
2: 6 + 3 = 9. ... Success
3: 3
4: 1
5: 6 + 4 = 10. ... Success
6: 2
7: 4
8: 2
9: 1
10: 3
11: 5 ... Success
12: 3

4 successes

Edit Matrix Action p. 218
You asked for 12 rolls and your target is 5 ... here are the results:

1: 4
2: 3
3: 3
4: 4
5: 4
6: 6 + 6 + 3 = 15. ... Success
7: 6 + 6 + 5 = 17. ... Success
8: 1
9: 3
10: 5 ... Success
11: 3
12: 4

3 successes
adamu
Ankle Biter

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
Ankle Biter

[ Spoiler ]
Konsaki
Caittie - Third wave

Adamu - You sorta left your last post on a interesting note for me to pick up. Had to think a while on what to write in for my counterpost. I'm trying to think up some ways to get out of this situation with all the teenagers unharmed but right now I'm drawing some blanks. sarcastic.gif
If it gets bad enough, it might become an "Every man for himself" situation. dead.gif
MK Ultra
@ All

We should decide which #wave-header should be coded with which color. One color for each wave, otherwise using color at all makes little sense. The colors should off cause all be clearly visible.
Konsaki
First Wave - Violet

Second Wave - Cyan

Third Wave - Gold

That look good? Gives 3 distinctly different and easy to read colors for identification...
And yes I did chose gold for third wave due to my bias. biggrin.gif
adamu
QUOTE (pragma @ Aug 9 2006, 06:08 PM)
First Wave, Gregory

Do we have any ritual samples left over from Montresor's interrogation?

Forgot to specifically ask here , though it was hinted at in the IC post.

pragma
Yes. Taking them is technically against regs, but you are sure you could swipe them with no problem if you wanted.

I didn't IC post you past the parking lot because I didn't know whether you'd taken it or not. Let me know IC or OOC, and then let me know your next move, again IC or OOC is fine.
adamu
QUOTE (Abbandon)
Argh you just had to include the baby didnt you.

-are those two trolls the only gangers in plain sight?

yes

-is it dark out since there are barrel fires?

partial light

-is the street barricaded at all?

no

-what kinda armor am i packing?

everyone wearing Urban Explorer-equivalent Doc Wagon jumpsuits w/ helmet for 6/8 total

-How many clips for my gun do i have and do i have any flashbangs/concussion/smoke grenades

say you carry five clips. As Ray makes the approach you have time to swap them for gel clips - Doc Wagon eager to avoid collateral damage, so they are definitely available. For the same reason, you have only got standard smoke grenades.

-I'd like gel rounds to be my standard ammo for this combat...

These are the things i would like to resolve before i post.

-im gonna tell ray to swing wide of the two trolls and come to a stop a little past them so our back door is facing the two trolls and the client and her baby.
-then im gonna have nick pop the backdoor.
-then warren is gonna jump out and unload on the troll beating up the elf chick.

-=I will be walking towards the two trolls as im firing stopping just outside there reach.(free action, 15 meters)

Walking requires no actions (running does). But I will swap you the free action for hauling your gyro-harnessed bulk out of the van, which is pretty generous of me.

To get to just outside their melee range, you only have to move about two meters; Ray brings you pretty close.

You didn't roll initiative, so I did for you and got 6 successes on nine dice - I should roll so well for my own characters!

-=1st semi auto narrow burst (simple action)
agility 4 +heavy weps 4 +smartlink 2 = 10 dice
1,4,1,1,5,1,1,5,5,3 = 3 hits glitch
starting DV= 5D, +2 for narrow, +3 for hits, +2 for gel rounds = 12S

Base damage on the Ingram is 6, not 5.

You paste the guy in the face and he drops.

Then your gun jams. I won't make you spend your second simple action pulling the trigger to no effect, as your smartlink will immediately tell you what happened.

Clear LMG jam is Logic + Armorer (?, 1 combat turn) extended test).
Note that all of you have Colt America L36s, yours and Ray's modified for your size.

Anyway, the first burst took out your target, so you can issue the commands to the troll.

Then he acts - throws the baby at you and pulls a katana off a sheath on his back.

Your action is gone. If you want to try to catch the baby, you will have to use both hands and you will have to commit your next action, the way it works for full defense.

-=2nd semi auto narrow burst (simple action)
agility 4 +heavy weps 4 +smartlink 2 = 10 dice
6,4,5,4,1,5,6,1,6,5 = 6 hits
starting DV= 5D, +2 for narrow, +6 for hits, +2 for gel rounds = 15S

-=optional. If the first burst takes out my target i will be using my second simple action to issue commands to the other troll.

That should cover the 1st combat turn for Warren.

I still have the gas vent and gyrobelt for my gun so recoil should be no problem. I guess have normal thermal vision. Im assuming i have glasses or a helmet for smartlink will that give me low light vision to?

You have goggles with the smartlink, as well as low light vision - a agree with all the dice and mods you figured.

waiting for results.....

Abbandon

As you can see, I posted IC. Post me OOC with your next actions.
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (adamu)
Ankle Biter

[ Spoiler ]

Electra - First Wave.
biggrin.gif Happy Dance.

I mentioned this at character creation, I personally feel that Kinesthics is a bit broken in the number of dice it allows people to roll for social skills. You were ok with it at the time, but now you have seeen it in aciton perhaps you may want to reconsider?

I did miss the activation of the 2nd level of kinesthics, and I was using impersonaltion a bit more nebulously as a skill at convincing people that you are x where x is a mental-state/person/total nutter/innocent/corpse etc. Kind of like acting cool.gif. Your interpretation is a resonable one too, and as the char has broken dice pools anyway I will go with that.

Abaddon,

I link my dice rolls mainly because it makes it easier to keep track of rolls I made in the past, cos invisible castle has a handy list rolls feature.

Oops, break over, more post later.
adamu
Ankle Biter

Actually, I don't see any problem with you rolling 15, or even 20+ dice on a social test. Mages and sammies roll loads of dice to shoot people, why not be able to do that to con or convince people? There are going to be plenty of situations with nasty modifiers against you. There are going to be times when your life depends on it. You are going to be a shadowrunner - an elite person that corps or yaks pay thousands of nuyen a day for the services of.
Plus, as I mentioned, applications of social skills are a lot more nebulous - there will be lots of times when the GM has to rule that they just don't work. So take all the dice you can get, I say.
You'll need 'em.

NOTE - Blitz made a very good post to Abbandon on the use of social skills that very much mirrored by own views, only she said it much better than I am. It's on the Sex. Lies, and Vid Chips OOC thread if you want to check it out.
Abbandon
First Wave, Warren

Adamu can you please explain why you did that IC post?? Thats twice you have screwed me over. Do you not like me or my character or something?? Man i even explicitly stated:

How the hell am i suppose to make IC posts about things i dont know the outcomes of. I dont see any other way to do it except to say my intentions, do the rolls, have you give me the results and me write about it and then you say what happens next.

The way your doing it sucks. I go ooc and state my intentions for the few things i think require dice rolls leaving out all the fluff i had planned on including in the post and you take those actions and create a post for me ?? gee thanx. I've only been waiting for 3 days to write about the crap i had been thinking of.

So I want to know #1 why is it happening, and #2 is it going to continue to happen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok im less angry now. Please edit the post you made for warren and put the following. I put periods in all the tags to keep them from activating those will have to be removed:

[ Spoiler ]
BlueRondo
First Wave, Carla

I asked Eli for his phone (err...commlink) number, but in the interests of moving things along, I skipped over whether he left any contact info or not. So you could just let me know OOC whether or not Eli gave Carla his number.

Also, for conducting research on Shedim, I'm really not sure what to roll. I'm guessing it's some sort of extended test involving Logic (defaulting on Data Search) and Browse, but I don't know what kind of interval to use. Let's say the subway ride is about half an hour. Could you please make the Data Search test for me, Adamu, and tell me if Carla finds any particularly useful information on Shedim?
Cedric Rolfsson
Adamu, what kind of sick person uses a live baby for a throwing weapon? Dude, I love the whole put a child at risk scheme to heighten the drama. Awesome posts. biggrin.gif
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 10 2006, 01:56 PM)
You are going to be a shadowrunner - an elite person that corps or yaks pay thousands of nuyen a day for the services of. 

Well at the moment, I look like I'm going to rot in the Tower, but fairy nuff. Shame I don't know IC, but I wonder how screwed I am if I get assensed right now...

As for social rolls, I don't mind you spamming them not to work no matter what, so long as you can give a reason why there isn't just a hideous penalty instead. I hope you don't mind me trying to work them into everything though, they are all my character has got. smile.gif

I tried checking for a way to change the default link colour but no dice, (boom boom) so I will just cut and paste dice rolls from invisible castle, instead.

Edit

I read Blitz's post and I for the most part agree, I would never roll dice to decide how my character acted biggrin.gif (Well, only if I was really not sure embarrassed.gif)

I would say that if you read up on "cold reading" and the like there are a lot of cues you can get from people in the way they react to certain statements, even non verbally that can give you a good idea of the most appropriate way to act in a given situation.

Turning up dressed up as a go ganger in an operal hall would incur large penalties, but perhaps could be pulled off as "Urban Chic, it's the latest fashion from Japan, Don't yer know" or "No worries, I'm the cabaret".

Sure you're not going to get away with eating babies on live TV. "they're not real it's just a publicity stunt" or shooting somebody down in the street "Plain clothes police, that man had a gun!" or... Well, I'm not sure actually where I was going with this now. frown.gif Eep break over.
Cedric Rolfsson
Query for All:

I'm using an online dice roller, www.irony.com/shadowroll.html, to do my rolls and I'm trying to figure out if there is a problem or not.

I just took 10 dice and rolled them 10 times with a target of 5. I came up with every single test having at least 1 success. Can someone else please run a similar test and confirm my results? I'm wondering if there may be a problem with the dice roller.
Ankle Biter
Not particularly unlikely, to be honest.

Edit:

Beaten By bluerondo, but I had a placeholder biggrin.gif 1.73415% chance of no hits on that roll.

maths is chance of failing (2/3) ^ number of times it has to fail (10) *100%

I hope, my stats math is rusty...
BlueRondo
According to an SR4 odds table I got from this forum, there's a 98% chance of having at least 1 success when rolling 10 dice, so that's not outrageous. Using your link, I rolled 10 dice 10 times and got at least 1 success every time.

Abbandon
First Wave, Warren

You were right about the base DV of the gun and the walking not being a free action. I dont know where i got 5P. Also about the intitiative i was thinking about having the advantage of suprise but i never said anything so i apologize for that. Im also assuming that the next post will be yours to post IC.

Turn 2 planned actions:

[scrapped]

Social Skills debate: I thought people with social skills were chameleons who could fit into any situation. They do this by watching body language and tone of voice and what the person is saying. I thought i should be able to read a person and then be able to talk to them in a way in which they would respond favorably. Like ok the guy doesnt like the way i look but after i call him a dickhead and tell him his mom was related to his dad instead of getting angry he should laugh and be like ok this person isnt so bad after all.

I can see how hatred could override this but i think by and large most people wouldnt be immune to social skills. Thats like telling a street samurai that the mage he planned on using his 20 dice attack on is immune. It makes the skill worthless. How come the bouncer at some craphole bar is immune to social skills but the army of gaurds inside a corp building can all be fast talked into letting you into the secret lab to steal a prototype weapon??
Ankle Biter
I'm behind Abbadon on the social skills front, nodding, (but the minute a GM looks I leg it... biggrin.gif )

Interestingly Ophis took social skills in a different direction in Under Icy Wings where he had one character roll indimidate against another (me). Seemed to work ok. There isn't much reason why a good RPer should not have to defend against social skill "attacks" just like rolling to dodge bullets.

Sure there is the whole role play / roll play thing to consider, but if one player has spent all their points on being da fick cyber troll they should get different reactions to a custom face build saying the exact same things.

If it is taken into account that anything a face says is to be automatically interpreted in the most favourable light and anything the uncouth troll says is not then that's fine, and so long as it is clear that that is being taken account of then I have no problem with skipping social rolls.
JDragon
QUOTE (JDragon @ Aug 8 2006, 03:57 PM)
Adamu

Heres my basic plan, let me know what rolls you want and what parts a I should IC post for.

as soon as the other tow are out of the room I will be locking door (if it has one)

then will move the table to block it, once that is done I will turn my attention to the "panel"

Moving the equip as quietly as possible I open the panel to see where it leads.

Couple questions...

Is any of my stuff, clothes, comm, pills, etc where I can get to it or is it all in the room with everyone else?

What kind of, if any; transportation do I have here at the stadium?

Will I need any rolls to move the equip or getthe panel open?

Thanks

JD

Angus - Second Wave

Adamu

Above are some ?'s I had posted earlier this week after your last IC post so I know whats going on, just wanted to re-post them incase you missed it.

JD
pragma
First Wave, Pragma

Only posted up to the parking lot because you sort of hinted that something might happen there. His current plans are to hop in the car and drive home then engage in the summoning of lots of watchers.
adamu
JDragon and everyone

Very kind of you to send a reminder. But I had in no way forgotten or missed your post.
I am pleased that everyone is so eager to post.
Believe me when I say I match your enthusiasm. Every time I make a post, I can't wait to see what the reply will be and get right back to the player - but then I remember there are eleven other players waiting.
It takes just about five hours to 'clear the boards' and get everyone up to date all at once (not counting all the prep time I am doing). Obviously there are very few days when I have time to do that, though I enjoy them when they come. Thus, the best thing I have devised is to stick fairly strictly to my rotation scheme. It guarantees everyone two full responses a week, which I daresay is more than you will get in most other games I have seen.
So if you go a few days without a response, I am sorry and I sympathize. One piece of advice is to see who is getting responses on a given day, as I generally work my way through the waves in order (although after days where I manage to clear the board I will generally always restart the rotation at a different point than the last time, just to be completely fair). Doing that can give you some idea of when you will be up.
adamu
JDragon

All the assumptions in your IC post look fine.

No, none of your personal possessions are in the room. (I suppose Skinny or Bruno could have left you something, but Skinny was too flustered and Bruno didn't want to leave any evidence of helping you.)

Championship fight - you came by limo.

See IC post for description of behind the plate. As noted, there are many directions to go in. Up to you to figure out which way to go, using dice or brains or both. Or just go at random.
The most direct dice way to go towards whatever you want to go towards is obviously a Navigation test.
Your movement rate is half-walking in the access ways because you are much too big for them.
JDragon
Angus - Second Wave
Adamu,

Thanks for the update and info.

I would like to take a full round to try and orient my self with where I am in relation to the outside of the building.

Once I have that I will then try to determine the most direct route out as well as if their may be any rooms I'll pass that would have useful items in them. Clothes that might fit me, etc.

So I guess I'll start with a Navigation roll.

Ok I'm defaulting on this, so Intuition (3) -1 = 2 dice

6, 4 = 1 Hit

Well thats not to bad considering only 2 dice.

Also any time I come to and notice a panel I'll stop for just a second to listen, I'll also be keeping any eye out for any sign of lights behind or in front of me.

JDragon
adamu
MK Ultra

Okay, the briefing that your assistant sends you while you are in Wales basically explains that she thought she'd test the waters at NeoNET, see how serious they were about 'helping in any way they could.' Said she explained the junket and asked if there were funds available for a donation. They were immediately receptive to her proposal, and within an hour two Y10,000 donations had been sent to charities affiliated with the Mayhurst's foundation in the names of each of the junior senators. It was also confirmed that, for all his support, Billings had made no cash donations to the foundation. Alice thought this might give Ramsey and Guadalupe a bit of a leg up, and of course she made sure that they knew that your office was ultimately responsible for those donations.
Still, she compares putting those two in a political firefight against Billings to casting a couple of porn actors in a movie alongside Al Pacino. They really were just window dressing, shadows to his flame.
You don't expect any info from her on the Mayhurst's replacement - you only came up with the idea Tuesday afternoon, and not only will the team have to hustle, the plan itself is for her to fall ill the morning of departure, so that she won't have a chance to do anything about it.

I stopped the IC post where I did because I didn't know how you wanted to react to the Senator's little photo op. He will A) act totally dumbfounded that there are reporters there and B) not let go of you easily.
Let me know what you want to do, and if you post IC, please do it just for this scene - I will IC post for when you all get on the plane.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Cool. Iīll make up an IC post tonight but my plan is as follows. Quiet the oposit of Billings, Iīll try to hide the slight surprise (John expected media coverage but not this early). I guess CHA+Etiquette is in order for this:

[ Spoiler ]

That should suffice to give a friendly and relaxed expression to the cameras.

Next I will load the PR/Media Knowsoft I probably have as part of my preparations, but didnīt loade yet. But I guess this bonus -like all the other ressources- will simply be figured into threshholds instead of adding bonus dice, just as with the law tests.

Then Iīll try to pick up as many media-logos and faces as I can, while quick-dialing to tele-conference with Alice, my and NeoNETīs PR experts. Here is a perception roll:

[ Spoiler ]

Sending them the vidfeed to have the reporters/channels identified. They will know whatīs up and assist me (allso sending any knowsofts available for the individual reporters. Iīd have pre-planed the media-stuff with them in advance but obviously not quiet in this situation.

Iīll then wait until I am addressed or someone says s.th. that forces me to intervene.

P.S:
Sapperstein had pulled a yarmulke from somewhere and was placing it on his head. "Well, that's my cue. After last night, I'm way overdue for Temple."

Not that I claim to be a specialist, but would he say heīs overdue for synagogue, unless heīs hopping over to Jerusalem?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
P.S:
Sapperstein had pulled a yarmulke from somewhere and was placing it on his head. "Well, that's my cue. After last night, I'm way overdue for Temple."

Not that I claim to be a specialist, but would he say heīs overdue for synagogue, unless heīs hopping over to Jerusalem?

Amazing what can happen when you have sub orbitals....
MK Ultra
adamu you might want to edit the timestamp of your last post for me, as it shows 08:30:70
adamu
Timestamp fixed. Thanks.

I'm not really Jewish, but I've heard Jewish people say that. If it's wrong, well, what Dire Radiant said.
adamu
Cedric

Your analyze finds the file and reveals it to be heavily encrypted.

If your edit action is to simply take the file, or erase it, you succeed. If it is to change it in anyway, you will first need to decrypt it. If it is the latter case we will stop there.

If it is the former case, then when you are about to leave this 'room' a stormtrooper enters the room and asks you to identify yourself. Please give me a hacking + stealth opposed test.
adamu
Blue Rondo

Your time on the subway is really all you need to scan the official/published literature on shedim. There are references to all sorts of theoretical things that you can read later if you want, but once you skim through all the jargon, everything that is factually known about them fills no more than a page.
I have already given you most of that info. Just to rehash -
When Ghostwalker broke through the astral rift at the Watergate, a whole horde of other spirits followed him through, many of unknown type and origin. It is now thought that the shedim were among the countless number of spirits that entered our world.
The shedim lurk around on the astral looking for corpses or astrally projecting mages, then they possess their bodies. Once they do, they usually but not always just start killing everyone in sight (who are often then inhabited by more shedim). Many but not all attempt to eat other people alive.
They are difficult to detect astrally, and it is theorized that they keep getting weaker and weaker until they can get into their next body, which rejuvenates them.
That is their observed behavior. According to the literature, they never speak or act intelligently. But the fact is, no one has any idea where they come from, what their motivations are, or how intelligent they may or may not be.
That's what you find in your initial research.
adamu
Ankle Biter

I agree with most of what both you and Abbandon are saying on social roles.

I especially think a very good point someone made was that in very socially difficult situations, it should be resolved by adding tons of nasty modifiers but still giving the player at least a shot, as opposed to just having the GM say it is impossible.

On the other hand, sure combat types get to roll lots of dice even in tough spots and try to make that high threshold. But the difference is that those skills involve very tangible things within the physcial/metaphysical world. Thus, those types tend to regulate themselves simply because they know their limitations. You don't see sammies trying to shoot down a jet fighter with a taser. They just don't bother. I think there are some social situations like that. The problem is that whereas the sammie player can easily see how impossible an action might be, many of the social modifiers are going to be invisible to the social adept. Social interactions are much more complicated than simple firefights, which I think is why emphasis on them comes late in the evolution of most long-standing RPGs. And because they are so much more complicated, it is a sad fact that they require more nuanced interpretation by GMs. (Note that your attempt to act ignorant with the police was essentially impossible because of things I knew/decided about their perception of the situation. Sometimes when social tests don't work out, you sort of have to trust that the GM has his reasons, even though he often may not talk about them because just saying they exist can give things away.)

That said, I have every intention of fully allowing the use of social skills per the rules, and in the vast majority of cases I believe longshot cases can be resolved through the use of modifiers, as opposed to GM fiat.
adamu
Ankle Biter

Between dice rolling statistics and social skill RPG theory discussions, I am sure I have no idea what you/Electra hope to do next.

It seems fairly clear that some bobbies are going to put you in a car and take you to the (no longer a tourist attraction) Tower of London. That's the general direction of things. Anything you want to do? Or I can IC post your arrival there and what happens after that.
DireRadiant
Adamu I'll respond IC post on Monday.
adamu
QUOTE (Abbandon)
First Wave, Warren

Adamu can you please explain why you did that IC post?? Thats twice you have screwed me over. Do you not like me or my character or something?? Man i even explicitly stated:

How the hell am i suppose to make IC posts about things i dont know the outcomes of. I dont see any other way to do it except to say my intentions, do the rolls, have you give me the results and me write about it and then you say what happens next.

The way your doing it sucks. I go ooc and state my intentions for the few things i think require dice rolls leaving out all the fluff i had planned on including in the post and you take those actions and create a post for me ?? gee thanx. I've only been waiting for 3 days to write about the crap i had been thinking of.

So I want to know #1 why is it happening, and #2 is it going to continue to happen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok im less angry now. Please edit the post you made for warren and put the following. I put periods in all the tags to keep them from activating those will have to be removed:

[ Spoiler ]

Abbandon

Well, that is quite a post.
I have read it several times carefully, and given it a lot of thought over the past 24 hours.

The second most important thing I would like to do, by way of response, is to offer you my sincere apologies and sympathies. I know what it is like to be excited about a chance to post. And I know what it is like to wait for a long time for the chance to do so. I am sorry that was your experience in this case.
It was not my intention to imply that you would be making that IC post. I believe that throughout this game I have consistently given explicit instructions to all players as to when I would be allowing them to do their own IC posts of combat results. And I think that in the great majority of cases, I have allowed the players to do so, which is how it should be. Perhaps this is the reason you assumed you would be making the IC post in this case.
I am sorry about the miscommunication. To be clear, for combat results, after I adjudicate everything in game terms, I will let people know if I want them to make the post. That will be most, but definitely not all of the time, especially in very complicated scenes with lots of characters and a lot going on.

Next, I would like to stress for the second or third time that I bear you no personal ill will. In fact, I consider your contributions both IC and OOC very valuable to this game.

In response to your first question, "Why is this happening?" I would reply that nothing that earthshattering is happening. I am sorry we had a miscommuncation about posting, and I am sorry you were disappointed. I am trying to manage this whole thing as best I can, but this will not be the last mistake made.

As a rule, I try to leave as much IC posting to the players as I can - partly to save me TIME, and partly just because they are the only ones that can truly do their own characters justice. But there are times when I have information to convey and it has to be just a certain way. And there are times when I am, as the director of this movie, editor of this book, GAMEMASTER of this game, setting a flavor, ambiance, milieu, mood. Sometimes that needs to be done through action.

Helpful at this point would be a review of the first post in this OOC thread, as well as of my first post in the recruitment thread. Everyone came into this game with a clear understanding that there would be a fair amount of railroading, and an unfair amount of unfairness. Everyone knew that while they might delay or ameliorate or make it heroic, they were heading for major personal disaster and that the cards were stacked against them. All have been offered a say in how this happens, and about half have taken me up on that offer and to the degree they have offered input, their requests will be MOSTLY honored.

For your second question - "will this continue?" I suppose one answer would be yes. By which I mean that as long as you choose to remain in this game - which I sincerely hope you do - I as GAMEMASTER will be retaining final posting authority, and indeed final authority on everything. That universal law of RPGs shouldn't need to be said, but we seem to have come to a point where it bears repeating.

But the other answer is no - it will not really continue indefinitely. Right now, yes, everyone is being railroaded quite heavy-handedly. But once you 'hit bottom' and then get through the transitional phase that I described earlier to JDragon, the game structure will change radically.
There will be a lot less quick-passage of time.
There will be a lot less of me saying where and when you are.
There will virtually NO MORE of me putting words in PCs mouths or thoughts in their heads. I am doing that only during this initial phase of the game.
The game will become 'fair' as in - threats and tasks designed to provide tough challenges with a reasonable chance of success given solid play.
I will not be making such lengthy posts - it will be your basic Q & A format.
In short, it will run much more like the other games on this board (and it will take me a LOT less time to run!).

So, I will NOT be changing that last post whatsoever.
In the first place, it would set a miserable precedent on a couple of levels.
In the second place, your suggested post is unacceptable for the following reasons -
- You simply do not have time to give the speeches you did within either the three-second combat round that elapses from when you see the scene and Ray stops the van, or the three-second combat round with the trolls.
- The reactions of the trolls are nothing like the way you had them. I appraciate your willingness to fill in color, but sometimes the color is specific and relevant, as in this case.
- The actual action in our scenes is virtually the same.
- I faithfully carried out all the instruction you gave me for your character.

And yes, I will be making the next IC post as well.

This has taken up a lot of time I could have spent posting for the other eleven players. I would like to consider the matter closed at this point. If you wish to respond to this post, please do so by PM.

Finally, the most important thing - I must INSIST, as the GAMEMASTER that when you address either myself or other players, you do so with courtesy and civility.
adamu
Abbandon

Okay, we are still on the same combat turn - you got initiative and went first, so now we have to do everyone else.
As for the rest of your crew, I specified that they would do their own thing after the initial approach, and in any case -
Yes, HTR van has armor, but you wouldn't know it from the way it's getting turned to swiss cheese. By the end of the round, it is just totally compromised by a LOT of concentrated small arms fire, with the armor having no apparent effect, and the van has caught fire somehow. So the crew is really all about getting OUT. The good news is that you seemed to have parked the van between yourselves/victims and the ambushing fireteam.

For catching the baby - you don't have any actions yet, but as we have noted, the rules let you take a full defense even when you don't have actions (at the expense of our next action) and we're saying this equivalates that. So the baby will obviously reach you before the troll does, so that will happen first. Dani will, in game terms, be using her one edge to get an extra pass this turn, so when she gets out of the van she yells ''Warren, throw!", and you can hot potato the baby to her if you want to.
The LMG is on there pretty good, not gonna just fall off the gyro-mount, but no penalty to you.

Troll needed a simple to throw baby and another one to draw katana, but he has multiple passes, so he does attack you. Great rolls, though. Free of the baby, you avoid or withstand all of his attacks without taking damage, although since you do it using gymnastics, I will have to rule that takes you several meters from the van and everyone else.

This post is long on what everyone else does, and short on what you get to do. Sorry about that - but you had your actions, and now everyone else gets to go.

I will do a quick IC post of this. On the second combat turn, you technically have no further actions. However, since you have the action of using edge to buy an action, or you could go on full defense for that turn at the expense of round 3's action, I will wait for you decision before moving past this round. Also, more melee defense/soak rolls can pretty much be assumed.
Konsaki
Caittie - Third Wave

Railroading indeed, but your post does answer a question I was thinking of asking and lets me ignore a roll I would have had to make. Thanks, adamu. biggrin.gif
Also, I like how the boss thinks that Beth is the mage and didnt auto target Alex.
adamu
JDragon

Okay, you think that left and straight both go generally toward the edge of the stadium, and that right takes you deeper into its circumference. Left seems to slope downward, and the air looks a lot more moist on your thermo. To the right you think there might be some dim light in the distance. No sound behind you yet.
adamu
MK Ultra

Okay, everything looks good. Rather than IC the press conference, I will summarize the results. Essentially, you achieve all the goals as rehearsed and advised by your PR people (you haven't told me what they are, but trust me they are the best as I see them, so you can't go wrong on this point).
    You feel totally at ease and unsurprised.
    You are not pinned down to any acknowledgement of what you are doing there or whom you represent.
    You come across as, like the good senators, being interested only in discovering the facts of the situation.
    You convey concern for the people of Kentucky that nonetheless emphasizes that the corps are the state's lifeblood.

I skipped IC on that because I wanted to IC your entrance to the plane. I want to keep the timeline sequential, but if you want to go over the press conference IC you could do so in the form of a recollection of the events.
adamu
pragma

Cool effect with the astral tendril. Fits very well....

I noticed that sometimes your time-date stamp has just a bunch of xxx's. Not a big deal, really.

On your way home there's a text message from Reston. He apologizes that the Agency simply has no resources it can, in good faith, spare from the nuclear threat. But he does say he has had a four-man plainclothes team from Wolverine cover your family round the clock at Agency expense. When you get home there are two cars with the standard tinted windows out front, and inside two men are conferring with Ana. They are not CIA men, of course, but they appear reasonably competent, and will do what you say.

Your understanding is that you don't have to go into the office for regular business hours on Monday, just so long as you are nearby if you get called.

Please IC at least your arrival home, and let me know OOC what your intentions are over the rest of Sunday.
pragma
Working on IC right now. OOC I'm planning to send out some watchers to confirm my suspicions and to enjoy some time with my wife and kids inside.

the x's are just a placeholder, I ususally figure out what time things happen when I'm finished writing the post. They remind me to fill in the time later.
adamu
pragma

Great, looking forward to both the IC and specifics on the watchers. The Wolverine guys will run themselves, but if you have any specific instructions for them, let us know.
adamu
EVERYONE

Karma distributed. On average awards are a smidgen lower this week. This does not reflect quality of play, which continues to amaze me. Just an anti-karma inflation measure.

I want to thank everyone for some REALLY nice physical descriptions.
My choice for the award was pragma.
The result of the vote was Vegas.
JDragon
Angus - Second Wave

Adamu

FYI - it appears that on a few of your posts for Angus, that the time stamp got messed up to.

It went from 1/8/70 to 8/1/70. A couple of mine were wrong to becuase I had been cut/paste from your posts for time. nyahnyah.gif

I have fixed mine already.

Since you did not do an IC and did not mention it, I'll lay out what I want to do here and we'll see what happens.

Angus will continue straight at this point, hoping to get out and as far away from the staduim as possible as quickly as possible.

JD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012