Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
BlackHat
Probably wise. wink.gif
JDragon
Ok, I signed up.

username: JDragon

Thanks for putting all the work in to this everyone.

JD
Vegas
JD, You've been invited into the space.
Konsaki
I'm already burning through my Character pages. It's pretty fun and another way I can waste time while waiting on updates here. (I have no life nyahnyah.gif )
BlackHat has done alot of work to his pages. He likes his pictures. biggrin.gif

I also edited my signature to link directly Caittie on our new Wiki
BlackHat
QUOTE (Konsaki)
BlackHat has done alot of work to his pages. He likes his pictures. biggrin.gif

Luckily I based my character's appearance off of an actual male model/acter guy who likes his pictures too. biggrin.gif maybe I should email this guy and let him know I have immortalized him in the dumpshock medium.
adamu
Vegas & Mister Juan & everyone

Great work on the wiki. That is just soooo cool and useful.

Vegas & MJ - look for a little something extra in your next karma awards.

Just a point of anality on your cover page - Jonathan is an ork; Gregory is going by Fortunato now and he is an elf.

Don't be alarmed if I don't actually DO anything with the wiki - I am looking at it a LOT, but actually logging on - well, much as I may have said it, it is unlikely any of you can possibly know the full extent of my computer phobia....This forum alone taxes my technical abilities beyond their limit.
adamu
MK Ultra

A question worthy of the lawyer you are playing. The overall directive supersedes the task description - NeoNET is not to be bound in any way by labor law.

That said, they don't mind anything you commit to regarding an enterprise union, because
1) In NeoNET's view, it is as good as not having there be a union, or maybe even better. THEY will run it. THEIR managers will be its leadership. The membership will be isolated from funding, and from other miners. Even if they strike, there will be no way for them to bring external labor market pressure to bear on the company.
2) As you and Dean both know, there is no way to actually get a legally binding commitment from an extraterritorial entity. Anything they sign they can change at will. The only possible recourse is the corporate court, and they have never once sided with labor against a mega.

Yes, there is the threat of bad PR or whatever, but that threat only is worth anything if it comes from someone that can play in their own sandbox. Even the IMU can only just barely present a PR threat - an isolated enterprise union, forget it.

The real reason Storken caved - or the real reason you thought he caved - was the idea that, as horrible as conditions for the miners are, their demands were still a threat to the company's bottom line, and without giving in, there might not be any employment at all.
Konsaki
I've been searching and cant find anything saying what Electra's race is. I can guess either Human or Elf, but cant find anything for sure.
I dont really even see a description of her. Maybe I'm blind though. nyahnyah.gif
BlackHat
Yeah, I remember when adamu put up the demographics for the group, there was like two humans, and like 6 elves or something.
adamu
Electra's an elf. Her 'boyfriend' is a satyr.
Konsaki
Yeah, I just looked over the recruitment thread and saw that... Arnt Humans supposed to be the majority of the population? biggrin.gif
BlackHat
Yeah, but so are Awakened people, and hackers, and... you get the idea.
adamu
BH & DR

Okay, the conversation has taken a bit of a turn content-wise, so language tests, no penalties this time.

By the way, just for the record, the two posts before this last one were me on my own, so while I am sure the Japanese is fine, it might not be perfect in terms of grammar or 'naturalness.'

Wife wrote this last one though.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Yeah, I just looked over the recruitment thread and saw that... Arnt Humans supposed to be the majority of the population? biggrin.gif

Sure, but itīs the fringes of society, that get pushed over the edge, into the shadows wink.gif
BlackHat
Intuition (4) + Japanese (1) + Linguasoft (2) = 7 dice
5,2,6,5,2,6,3 = 4 hits.
Adam is getting back into his Japanese groove. This bodes well for the actual mission.

Also, I am going to start looking at the guard (without touching, for the time being) to try to determine what sorts of equipment he has on him. Armor, Mace, Club, Stun Baton, Gun, Keys, Keycard, ID Card, Commlink, etc.

Intuition (4) + Perception (1) + Contacts/Visual (3) = 8 dice
6,3,1,1,6,2,1,3 = 2 hits
DireRadiant
Int 2 + Japanese 3 = 5
2 hits = 5 4 5 3 3
adamu
BlackHat

Well, you understand exactly what he said, but I'll wait for Dire's roll to post it.

Just looking, he's obviously got a vest on, some handcuffs. A stun baton, pistol, and spare clips are on a belt in the corner of the van. The absence of card key, ID card, keys, etc doesn't even strike lives-in-2070 Mr. Smith as unusual, knowing that the guy has a headware comm.
DireRadiant
Can we add the wiki link to the first post in this thread? It'll make it easier to get back to.

Just wait till we do a combat scratch pad.
BlackHat
EDIT: Nevermind. Was going to mention that DR and I had been putting our OOC stuff in Up from the Bottom's OOC, but we all seem to have found it.
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu)
The absence of card key, ID card, keys, etc doesn't even strike lives-in-2070 Mr. Smith as unusual, knowing that the guy has a headware comm.

Yeah, was just a wee bit worried about that one. Since 'Hiro' or whoever is on guard will probably expect the doors to automatically open for whoever is supposed to be there... replacement or no.
adamu
BH & DR

A very timely cross-post indeed.

Sledge' two successes gather something like 'not together - doubtful - don't wanna die - as you said'. Being very intelligent, she quickly cleans that up in her head, understanding what he means.

Which is, as Mr. Smith hears quite clearly - "If you don't go in with me, he's sure to be suspicious. Don't worry - I don't want to die, so will do exactly as you say."
adamu
Dammit, am I on the wrong damned thread? OOOOH - this is going to chafe at my anality like cactus on unmentionables.
Sorry about the confusion. I will now go back to the proper thread.
MK Ultra
Wiki-staff

Just in chase we are going to hand out some responsibilities. I would be willing and happy to handle archivating the IC threads (split up and crosslinked for all the pcs and teams) on the wiki. I just canīt start doing so before Nov. 11th.

2nd wave, John

Presented in the IC is how I see the situation at the moment. The way I see it, the workers (& IMU as a whole) have much more to lose, then NeoNET (if my staff or knowledgeskills would tell me otherwise, please notify). Of course blatently saying so might give us some bad pr, so I wonīt (for now), but I am sure, Dean knows that stuff as well (him saying so would be bad pr for the IMU, too).

Unless he dos anything unpredictable, my IC says what Iīm going to do.
Ankle Biter
Electra - First Wave.
I'm fairly sure I wrote a character time line for Electra, but I think I erased the PM for it. Any chance you could mail it me back, or just spoiler it here, Adamu?
adamu
Ankle Biter

Well, the good news is I have it. The bad news is it is only on hard copy - printed it to clear out my PM inbox.

When I get a chance - probably this Saturday morning my time - I will PM you an abbreviated version, just the dates and highlights. Sorry, just don't have it in me to retype the three pages you sent.
adamu
MK Ultra

Yes, you/John are correct - the workers have a lot more to lose than NeoNET. That's the underlying reason, as I said in different words in my last post, why it seemed Storken would fold - dealing with a strong union bites into a company's profits, and at some point they just won't bother, and delay or cancel the project. Then, without an employer, everyone is screwed. The corporation will survive, the labor might not.
You are also right that saying so right out can be iffy PR-wise. It can work for small companies, but most people don't buy it from giant megacorps.

So I understand that your intention is to just plow ahead with negotiations, even if you are both just saying things you each know the other knows, just for the appearance of caring about the situation and trying hard to come to an agreement? Then, once the day is done, you will have to adjourn, and then you will have time to plan something else before the next session?
If I understand you correctly, please just do a quick IC reflecting this action.

If you ever actually say to Dean the idea about the workers having more to lose than the company, stop there and I will have him reply.
If you choose to keep that card up your sleeve, then the night will be boring, and please post up until noon the next day, when you will receive an important phone call.
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (adamu)
Ankle Biter

Well, the good news is I have it. The bad news is it is only on hard copy - printed it to clear out my PM inbox.

When I get a chance - probably this Saturday morning my time - I will PM you an abbreviated version, just the dates and highlights. Sorry, just don't have it in me to retype the three pages you sent.

I was mainly after Electra's DOB, and vital stats, for the Wiki, other improtant dates wouls also be nice, but the rest of my BK can be retconned anyway, dates for marriage / meet for my parents, and birth for my other family memebrs would be handy, but my non family contacts are out of the game at this point so may as well skip them, except for Trevor, or course.

Thanks for the help.
Konsaki
It sucks, I cant connect to the Wiki from work... frown.gif
So much for wasting dead time on that while at work... cool.gif
Konsaki
Just wondering, but have we had anyone drop out of the game?
I know Gregory is on hold till my group gets out of the motel, but is there anyone else on hold? I sware there is someone missing...
MK Ultra
Yeah, your Co-Hacker Cedric Rolfsson is hibernating. He posted something about it, but I canīt remember, what he said about when heīs back with us.

If I should suddenly stop posting in the next 2 weeks, thatīs because I suddenly grew a concience and started using my time responsibly to learn for my last test wink.gif
Konsaki
He has been posting around once a day on other forum games, I dont know if he has given up on this one or something... Sorta sucks.
DireRadiant
There will be another round of recruiting once we are all up and "running"
BlackHat
Lol, then those people start out as "normals" and we run around ruining their lives and making them hit bottom too. biggrin.gif
Konsaki
I wonder, would they have the same feel for their characters? I mean, we have had 4-5 months to flesh out our characters with backstories and the 'hitting bottom' thing.
Also, how would they join the team? Would adamu just revive the recruiting thread or would someone from the team actually start a new thread and IC the recruiting? I think I saw someone doing the latter and it looked pretty interesting, though I think that perticular game died out. sarcastic.gif
BlackHat
Dunno, I was under the impression that he took on 12 players with this game expecting some of them to fade away (something about how most games on DS tend to lose some players), but that if everyone stuck with it he would split us up into two teams.

I definatly like the idea of IC recruiting - but I agree that if someone starting an IC recruitment thread and got some responses within a couple of days (typical turn around time for this game) that new player would have next to nothing invested in his character... which is fine, but its a shame.

I think one of the reasons this game is working so well is that we've had like 4 months to build up these character concepts and flesh them out... pretty much in isolation. Everyone's stories started out as like 1-on-1 sessions with the GM... which is a LOT of work for him (we appreciate it adamu) and I doubt its something he would go through against with new recruits (unless we ended up needing to replace like 6 people, maybe).

Chances are, if we joined up with more players, the easiest thing to do would to have them be "hardened" shadowrunners that are more professional and less newbish than our current batch of misfits. The might have a lot of personality, but it probably wouldn't come from having their lives recently shattered - but who knows, maybe that would jsut be one of the submission requirements. *shrugs*

In any case, it doesn't looks like we've lost many, if any, players... so we'll see if we even need to tackle the recruitment thing soon.
Konsaki
The team I'm on doesnt have to worry about a hacker, considering the ammount of Matrix time I've put in. cool.gif
If Cedric drops though, team 2 will be a little Matrix light, and that might be an annoyance.
BlackHat
Cattie could moonlight on both teams! wink.gif
Konsaki
>.>
Double the pay and Karma... maybe, but it will still be hard to play both teams at the same time, and I'm not holing Caittie up in some room. I want her to actully go out on the runs. sarcastic.gif
She could be a remote hacker for whatever team she isnt on, but with the difference in IC time as it is, it seems unreallistic. biggrin.gif

Too bad Cedric wasnt playing some Sam or adept. Dime a dozen.
/finds cover from the incoming hail of lead
BlueRondo
Well, Carla has a good logic score and doesn't really fit into an archetype yet, so she could turn into a hacker/medic if she has to.

Of course, I don't know where she'll get the gear or programs.
BlackHat
Adam could sell you his - to help keep his mommy alive!
Konsaki
Lol @ BlackHat

@BlueRondo
Carla's stats look like an all rounder character, so she might be able to handle it if she gained the required skills. At least a 3 in electronics, hacking and electonric warfare are considered the minimum though. Any lower and you might set off alot of alarms before you can hack a standard node or glitch tasks and give yourself away.
BlackHat
Bah! Adam's doing fine with 1's. biggrin.gif Granted, he doesn't have to hack much - but I'm pretty confident in his ability to do it... for, like... a round or two.... Okay, who am I kidding. biggrin.gif Glad the technomancer's on my team!
Konsaki
/Scratches head
I'm not sure who I'm going to be grouped with...
So far due to the interactions with Rocky and Ceberus, I think it's implied that I'm going to be grouped with them.
Though with the way things went at the start, their reputations are seriously damaged with Caittie. Due to all that, I dont know right now...
I just know I'm the only active hacker right now, and I'm doing my best to stay alive in the situation I'm in.
BlackHat
nyahnyah.gif Adam hacked before. He's active.... Active... hacker...
I was just guessing based on the up from the bottom thread.. but I suppose there is no reason adamu would have to keep two teams in seperate threads, really.
MK Ultra
The funny thing is, you donīt actually need Logic to be a good hacker (unless you want to build/upgrade/programm/pirate your own gear).

John dosnīt fit any Archetype but lawyer. He will be a good runner, though - heīs got the running skill (just need to upgrade strength a bit).
Konsaki
Heh, would be interesting if we all got grouped up as a 11-12 man group. grinbig.gif
BlueRondo
The funny thing is, you donīt actually need Logic to be a good hacker (unless you want to build/upgrade/programm/pirate your own gear).

Oh yeah, good point.
Konsaki
QUOTE (BlueRondo @ Oct 26 2006, 09:04 AM)

Oh yeah, good point.

That point never really made sense to me though. I figured your program would be just the limiter on how many hits you could get. I'm not going to go all out on that topic though, its been done too many times in the gaming forums.
All I know is that I need high mental stats as a Technomancer.
pragma
I've submitted a request to join the wiki -- Pragma is the username. Sorry for being slow about it, Dumpshock fell off the internet for a few days.
adamu
MK Ultra

You can talk to Miles or just get off the phone. I obviously don't expect you to come up with cost projections and probabilities of success, but I would like - OOC or IC - just very general outlines of the three plans, along with your assessment of RELATIVE costs and chances of success - as in, plan A is much more expensive than Plans B&C but has a higher chance of success, or whatever. I may adjust those once you post them - based on John's knowledge - but before you actually give them to Lanier IC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012