Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
adamu
On shooting and melee -
the thing to remember is that the charts in the BBB are NOT all-inclusive. GMs make (and players are free and encouraged to suggest) modifiers based on the common sense of the situation.
As a rule of thumb, any target in a melee combat will generally have 50% cover, simulating the fact that roughly half the time in a moving fight they will be blocked from view by their opponent.
Also, count on ANY glitches, not just critical glitches, hitting the other fighter.
adamu
BlackHat

Actually, strip bars would be a place where cash use was common - what guy wants a record of that on his commlink?

As for the meet, ALL of it will be IC, but then there will be die rolls.
Sort of the opposite of combat, where the rolls sort of get resolved and then we IC post. For most social situations, what is said IC largely determines the modifiers for the attendant social skill rolls, which in turn largely determine the other guy's response (factoring all the secret knowledge of your omniscient GM!).
adamu
JDragon

Since you specified you were using the mapsofts in the commlink (and it is a chauffeur's comm), the Using Navigation rules state that you add the rating (3) to your roll. I did that, and you are now pretty sure you know where the cab will be waiting and how to get there. (Ordering a cab was no problem - that reminds we, I think you were right and I was totally off base on what you can use the gold credstick for - the rules state no limitation the sorts of purchases you can make with any given type of stick. So assume you have your stick plus Y50 in cash, and do what you want with it.)

Great perception roll - you are pretty sure you have spotted all the nearby drones, etc and have slipped around them.

You head down an alley two blocks toward your cab and see the following:
The alley you want to go down continues ahead of you, except on the other side of a four-lane avenue. Three blocks down to your right, and two down to your left, there is a Lone Star cruiser shutting down the intersection. Most side streets along this five-block stretch seem to have traffic drones turning back traffic, both outbound and inbound from this stretch. Meanwhile, all the traffic that was already in this 5-block stretch is being directed out of the area past one or the other of the two roadblocks. At each roadblock, one officer is scanning the interior of cars (including any storage areas that look big enough for a troll) and waving them out of the area, while a second officer is standing on the hood of the car scanning down the rapidly emptying, 4-lane road in each direction.
Abbandon
Sorry for being so selfish!! Im a playstation junky and this awesome game has come out that is literally sucking away whole days of my life. Disgaea 2. Its a strategy rpg game. Its not fair that i havent posted any dreams yet but i cant even think of anything else besides that stupid game at the moment.

Can we put my guy on hold and roelplay him being unconscience for awhile hehe?? You can focus on the other players and when i finally get bogged down in my game or bored I will make a dream sequence.

What did you mean about it being alright to dream as long as it doesnt include my surroundings? Thats actually pretty kool if it did influence my dreams. Is my guy floating in liquid or being flown by chopper someplace or being manhandled alot? Those could have awesome effects on his dreams.

I wont be gone long. Might only miss one or two of my cycles.
JDragon
Angus - Second Wave

Ok, thanks for following up on the cred stick thing.

So if I understood correctly, I have a large street to cross that has a large # of LS on it, correct?

Also looking at how they have things blocked off do I think if I get to where the cab is I will be out of the area Lone Star is blocking off?

If so I want to check on the following....

#1 I'll pull the map softs back up and compare where I am to the maps looking for my best direction to go to get out of the LS controled area.

#2 do I see any way across the street, maybe a bridge between two buildings, or something along that lines?

#3 I'll look around for sewer access?

While I'm doing these I will keep in my cover and keep an eye out for patrolling drones.

Let me know what rolls I need.

JD
adamu
BlueRondo

Hey, I have not yet asked anyone to do a substantial back-edit, but now might be the time (NOT saying you did anything wrong).

Since you specified that you 'carefully watch' your father, you cannot help but notice that the hair on the back of his head is matted with blood, bits of bone, and gray matter. You are certain that's what it is since you see it in the ER, including in the first scene of this story. The thing is, you see no other sign of a wound. His cranium is to all appearances intact, and he does not appear to be bleeding.

So if you want to back-edit your post at all from the point where you 'carefully watch' him, feel free.
adamu
Abbandon

You have picked a good time to get enthralled to another game, as you will be in my clutches for several cycles.
As for your dream posting, it is entirely up to you whether you do it or not. Why do I not want it to reflect your current circumstances? Because I know what they are and you/Warren do not. Past stuff or surreal stuff or whatever you feel will build your character are fine. Or not. Up to you.
I plan to continue making posts in your story every cycle - don't worry, you will have plenty of chances to dream for a while yet.
pragma
First Wave, Gregory

Does Greg recognize the woman that Montressor is currently using? I'm wondering if she's Michelle DelDonno, and if I still have the files available, I'll check a picture to be sure.
adamu
QUOTE (JDragon)
Angus - Second Wave

So if I understood correctly, I have a large street to cross that has a large # of LS on it, correct?

If 'large #' = 2 three blocks away and 2 two blocks away

Also looking at how they have things blocked off do I think if I get to where the cab is I will be out of the area Lone Star is blocking off?

To have my input on what may be going on BEYOND this street would require a Lone Star/police procedures knowledge test or something similarly appropriate.

#1 I'll pull the map softs back up and compare where I am to the maps looking for my best direction to go to get out of the LS controled area.

All you can see are the two squads and an increasing number of drones. What you can hear is sirens converging from all directions.
The maps show you that the two intersections the cars are on command long views of 4-lane avenues forming a three-sided box around your current position.

#2 do I see any way across the street, maybe a bridge between two buildings, or something along that lines?

Use earlier system.

See #2

While I'm doing these I will keep in my cover and keep an eye out for patrolling drones.

Drones are coming into the area. It looks like a matter of time before one takes up a position at the mouth of the alley you are in (and at the one you want to get to).

JD

JDragon

Don't mean to be terse, just in a hurry. Good luck.
BlueRondo
First Wave, Carla

Thanks Adamu - I added some details to my post to reflect your information.

A question: Are devil rats known to carry any special diseases? Do people get sick from touching them, being bitten from them, or anything like that?
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu)
As for the meet, ALL of it will be IC, but then there will be die rolls.
Sort of the opposite of combat, where the rolls sort of get resolved and then we IC post. For most social situations, what is said IC largely determines the modifiers for the attendant social skill rolls, which in turn largely determine the other guy's response (factoring all the secret knowledge of your omniscient GM!).

Sounds good. Well, like I said, my improv will have to come about by his reaction - so I'll give him a chance to respond.
JDragon
QUOTE (adamu)
QUOTE (JDragon @ Sep 4 2006, 02:28 AM)
Angus - Second Wave

If 'large #' = 2 three blocks away and 2 two blocks away

To have my input on what may be going on BEYOND this street would require a Lone Star/police procedures knowledge test or something similarly appropriate.

All you can see are the two squads and an increasing number of drones.  What you can hear is sirens converging from all directions.
The maps show you that the two intersections the cars are on command long views of 4-lane avenues forming a three-sided box around your current position.

Use earlier system.

See #2

Drones are coming into the area.  It looks like a matter of time before one takes up a position at the mouth of the alley you are in (and at the one you want to get to).

JD

JDragon

Don't mean to be terse, just in a hurry. Good luck.

No Problem.

I understand on the Lone Star Check.

I'll be getting the info up soon. I don't seem to be getting meail notifications right now for some reason.

JD
adamu
pragma

No, never seen her.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
2nd wave, John

Ok, this imagined encounter was unforseen, still I´ll handle the following next:

Blocking moves by Arthur Vogel's Sierra Inc to get injunctions based on a plethora of environmental problems - erosion from strip mining, mercury seepage into water tables, etc. 20

As I allready mentioned, my strategy will basically be, to produce precedents with extrateritorial enclaves allready existing in the apalachians and elsewhere, that would later aply to all of NeoNET´s apalachian holdings. This way, I hope to gain the leverage of extrateritoriality, while media coverage is still low and NeoNET´s plans stay secret as long as possible. The implementation phase (or a second implementation phase) might off cause take place later, when the plans are further down the line.
During this quest I´d like to include non-NeoNET holdings of other extrateritorial corps, mainly Ares (especially those that Knight won´t alow to take a hit) -to entangle Vogel in a conflict of interests- but allso others like MCT, to gain their later support against SK.
It´d be a good one, if Samantha Villiers can make her conection to Nadia Daviar (Gavilan Ventres) count in this situation, to hold Vogel back a bit. Subtility is of the essence here, off cause. But since NeoNET has some known interests in the apalachians, my involvement with this issue shouldn´t give away the master-plan.
Also I´ll try to further damage UCAS Steel - redirecting trouble their way if possible.
An alliance with Horrizon might be possible as they probably have some issues with Sierra in the CFS (Sierras base) concerning the rebuilding after the tidel wave. Some negative media on Sierra (i.e. about the rumored terrorist contacts) would be fantastic, as would be documentaries and stuff, that plays down the ecological problems Sierra is addressing.
Louisa might as well become a problem in this quest, so my guys are set to further search for skelletons in her closet. If possible, Manolo DelGato will work for free in one the Mayhurst´s clinics (ideally piced by one of my intel goons, for maximum information value) - spying a bit on the side. Probbaly no more then a week or 2, but maybe longer, debending on what he finds.

Before any of this, the solution for the lawsuite will be send on it´s was, off cause. When this is water-tight, everyone gets a half day off (and next weeks are supposed to be regular 12h work schaduls).

On the side, I´d also want to arrange for the Transsys Tour for Guadalupe (so it is available, once I want to give him his promised incentive). For the same reason, a box of Ramsey´s favourit ciggars has to be procured. And I´ll send Billings the book I recomanded right away, with a hand pened letter pointing to the right placesin the book (an unused hard-copy version).

MK Ultra

Implementation on lawsuit task done.

Starting next problem on Feb 5, at regular pace.

Okay, a lot of the things you want to do, just go ahead and do. The gifts for the two junior senators, fine. Manolo working in one of the Mayhurst's clinics, fine (although I will be handling him when we IC the debrief).
The basic plan involving extraterritoriality precedents, including setting up a dialogue (only, at this stage) with Horizon, is fine. Good plan - IC something summarizing it and get +1 die for all test on this problem. You'll have to remember that; I'll forget.

The desire to hurt UCAS Steel is a bit vague - that'll need more work if you want to run with it (idea + days spent).

The idea to use S. Villiers to influence Daviar to wield her Gavilan Ventures shares against Vogel could be worth a +2 die bonus on this task, but you'll have to convince me you can do it - that'll be our next IC focus, if you still want to pursue it. It won't detract from your days of work on the problem.
If you want to move forward with that, start making moves to set up whatever meets you think are appropriate, and I will review whatever canon I have lying around.
To that end, I have Corp Shadowfiles with me, and I think there are updates on S. Villiers' holdings in System Failure, which I also have here in Japan. Can you let me know if there are other, or more recent updates on that situation in canon, so we can be on the same page?
JDragon
Angus - Second Wave

Thanks for the info, looks like its time to make some decisions and go with it.

So first thing I will do is the 1, 2 or 3 to see if I have a way across. (wish me luck)

1. Walkway over street I need to cross in nearby building? 1 = yes

2. Sewer Access? 4 = no

3. Some kind of obstacles (Cars / trucks parked on street) that will make distance to travel with out cover shorter? 1 = yes

Seeing that there is a walkway going over the street and as well as additional cover Angus will opt to go for the shorter path. Opting to try and run across the street using the cars and such to block line of sight as long as possible. Hes doing this because realizes he could give him self away setting off alarms or get trapped in a building.

Here are my running rolls for getting across the street and to the cab.

Running Check
Strength (8) + Running (Atheletics Group) (2) = 10 dice
1, 6, 6, 2, 6, 6, 2, 4, 6, 3 = 5 hits

Running Check
5, 1, 1, 5, 5, 2, 5, 6, 4, 2 = 5 hits

4, 1, 3, 4, 1, 2, 2, 4, 6, 4 = 1 hit

Ok, I think thats covers the next step.

I'll try to get an IC up to this point when I can, if you get this section noted I'll get it to.

I have the next two days off so I should be able to keep up.

Thanks

JD
adamu
DireRadiant

Okay, at start of combat turn Morris is wrestling with one cop for his gun, while the female cop has dropped her gun and grabbed her stun baton to defend against your pipe/club.  The other two from the car have closed with stun batons, one behind each of you.

Morris goes first. He knocks the gun out of the cops hand, grabs the cop by the collar and slaps him back and forth across the face, saying, "When I slap you you'll take it and you'll like it." Then he punches the cop in the face and knocks him out right before he gets tagged with a stun baton from behind and goes into convulsions on the ground.

The two cops on you both attack. The one from behind is gonna nail you good with that stun baton. I re-rolled your failures since I thought you said you'd use it to avoid getting creamed, which made him miss. But then I reread your earlier post on edge use and realized you hadn't been so specific ( I think I mixed you up with pragma).
So if you use a point of edge there, you are clean. If not, you resist 7S plus need Body + Willpower with threshold of 3 hits to avoid collapsing in convulsions.

Assuming you either use the edge or make the convulsions roll, the next cop missed you, and you probably killed the cop on Morris - the steel pipe just opens his head right up.

So we are either there or backing up to the convulsions - sorry I misread the edge instructions, but since I'd already resolved the rest of the turn, I thought I'd just type it out.

Either way you want to play it...

Assuming you are standing at the end of the round -
You have initiative and you are squared off against a male and a female officer, both with stun batons in their hands. Morris is behind you shaking on top of the guy he plastered. Another cop is dead or dying.

Again, IC post or resolve more combat first.
adamu
Blue Rondo

Well, you used to be able to get VITAS from them, but it seems that that didn't make it into 4th edition. They now apparently have no ability to give you a disease - at least not in game terms.
IC-wise, conventional wisdom is that you can get the freaking plague just from looking at them. Well, not really, but yes, they are extremely disease-ridden.
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu)
Blue Rondo

Well, you used to be able to get VITAS from them, but it seems that that didn't make it into 4th edition. They now apparently have no ability to give you a disease - at least not in game terms.
IC-wise, conventional wisdom is that you can get the freaking plague just from looking at them. Well, not really, but yes, they are extremely disease-ridden.

Didn't ghouls fail to stay contagious too? Pooey.
DireRadiant
Harriet - Third Wave
QUOTE (adamu)
DireRadiant

Okay, at start of combat turn Morris is wrestling with one cop for his gun, while the female cop has dropped her gun and grabbed her stun baton to defend against your pipe/club.  The other two from the car have closed with stun batons, one behind each of you.

Morris goes first.  He knocks the gun out of the cops hand, grabs the cop by the collar and slaps him back and forth across the face, saying, "When I slap you you'll take it and you'll like it."  Then he punches the cop in the face and knocks him out right before he gets tagged with a stun baton from behind and goes into convulsions on the ground.

The two cops on you both attack.  The one from behind is gonna nail you good with that stun baton.  I re-rolled your failures since I thought you said you'd use it to avoid getting creamed, which made him miss.  But then I reread your earlier post on  edge use and realized you hadn't been so specific ( I think I mixed you up with pragma).
So if you use a point of edge there, you are clean.  If not, you resist 7S plus need Body + Willpower with threshold of 3 hits to avoid collapsing in convulsions.

Assuming you either use the edge or make the convulsions roll, the next cop missed you, and you probably killed the cop on Morris - the steel pipe just opens his head right up.

So we are either there or backing up to the convulsions - sorry I misread the edge instructions, but since I'd already resolved the rest of the turn, I thought I'd just type it out.

Either way you want to play it...

Assuming you are standing at the end of the round -
You have initiative and you are squared off against a male and a female officer, both with stun batons in their hands.  Morris is behind you shaking on top of the guy he plastered.  Another cop is dead or dying.

Again, IC post or resolve more combat first.

Must IC post! Awesome Sidney Greenstreet B@#4h slap moment!

Damage soak and convulsion check
Body 6
5 3 4 5 4 4 = 2

Body 6 + Will 3 = 9
4 4 5 2 2 1 4 1 3 = 1
Edge Reroll failures (Turns out I needed Edge anyway)
4 6 5 2 4 4 6 1 = 3

I'd like to do an IC post from one of the Lone Star officers POV, can I assume that this is a normal apprehend armed and dangerous suspect response?
BlackHat
Question about Adam's AR going dead (and my SSF not working)... Adam's earbuds, gloves, contacts and commlink are all skin-link modified... so although his connection to Franco's commlink (and the rest of hte interweb) goes dead - should his AR still stay up (showing just his own windows and AROs)? and would his SSF be affected at all (its not actually using radio-waves for anything).
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

A´ight, I´ll put something up. Here is what sorces I have found on Samantha Villiers.

Samantha Villiers
CSF - Fuchi Profile: Formerly head of Fuchi Systems Design & VP of Fuchi Northwest, gets along well with Richard.
CDL - p. 71: 7% of Novatech, Head of Novatch Seattle, had several lunches with Nadia Daviar and got along well.
- p. 73: divorced in 2049, still allied with Richard. Daughter Caroline Tara Villiers * ~2032/33, out of the picture since ~2050/51, ran the shadows since 53.
New Seattle: some redundant info
Runner Havens, p. ?? (Seattle): Sam runs Neonet Seattle, daughter Cara in charge of shadow ops.
BITB - p. 27: * ~ early to mid 2010s
SF - p. 41: according to an adventure hook, she tryed to secure loans from TLE in exchange for her Novatech shares, to attampt a buyout of Renraku, but obviously she failed. I´m unsure how known this would be, but it will probably have little consequence for my dealings with her.

I´ll probably look up some info on Arthur Vogel as well, before I post IC (or els I´ll do some short IC not yet dealing with them directly), but I´m too tired now.
Most promissing books will probably be Portfolio of a dragon, Shadows of the underworld, Super tuesday, Loos alliances, Corporate Download and Blood in the boardroom.
adamu
DireRadiant

Okay, OOC everything is exactly the way I had it only now you have 5 boxes of stun damage. You still have initiative despite the lost die.

IC - beautiful posts as usual. But I do wish you'd waited for me to answer your question about the cops' status re. their response to you.

I hope you will keep 90% of the cop POV post, as it is awesome, but I will need you to please edit to reflect two points.
1) They were sent to that address by dispatch, told to expect your imminent arrival there.
2) They were instructed you were extremely dangerous and given a rare 'pre-authorization for use of lethal force' in other words, a shoot on sight order.

Yes, I am giving away some stuff - but then it's mostly in your suggested outline to me anyway, plus most of it will be apparent to Harriet anyway once she thinks about it later (the car already concealed under a pile of boxes, the lack of any verbal commands before they were about to shoot, etc.). Most importantly, you have demonstrated yourself to be a sufficiently excellent role-player to compartmentalize any OOC knowledge you get (although as I said, Harriet would probably figure a lot of that out later anyway).

Sorry about the hassle.
adamu
BlackHat

You are absolutely right - skinlink immune to jamming. I will edit IC post.
adamu
MK Ultra

Dude, you are a Shadowrun encyclopedia. My hat is off to you.

I will check out those references in preparation for your next actions, which I eagerly await.
adamu
JDragon

Dude, that is some fast running. Based on your plan and speed, I will say that you cleared the cordon. Nothing obstructs you to the meet point, and after a few tense moments the cab shows up. The cabbie of course recognizes you and is shocked, although not in a bad way. Although he has the trid on, he apparently has heard no 'bad' news about you.

Note that wherever you go, by the time you get there your drugs will be worn off, and you are still one box away from unconsciousness.
pragma
First Wave, Gregory

IC has gotten a bit ahead of OOC, let me know if anything needs editing.

Summoning a force 6 beast spirit with optional powers of natural weapon and venom (as much as I'd like some others, these are appropriate for the snake) and drain.
Magic + Summoning # dice: 10 :: 2 6 5 3 3 2 4 2 6 3 -- 3 successes
Cha + Wil # dice: 12 :: 5 1 3 2 3 4 5 5 4 5 3 4 -- 4 successes

Astral Perception:
Int + Assensing # dice: 8 :: 5 6 1 1 3 4 5 4 -- 3 successes

Physical Perception:
Int + Perception # dice: 7 :: 1 3 1 6 2 1 5 -- 2 successes

Also, as a warning, school begins in earnest tomorrow so posting response time, quantity and quality may diminish slightly.
JDragon
QUOTE (adamu)
JDragon

Dude, that is some fast running. Based on your plan and speed, I will say that you cleared the cordon. Nothing obstructs you to the meet point, and after a few tense moments the cab shows up. The cabbie of course recognizes you and is shocked, although not in a bad way. Although he has the trid on, he apparently has heard no 'bad' news about you.

Note that wherever you go, by the time you get there your drugs will be worn off, and you are still one box away from unconsciousness.

SWEET!!!

I'll post IC from where my last one left off to me getting in the cab and giving a location.

I'll try to get it up tonight or tomorrow.

Speaking of dice rolls, I was making those rolls at work with my spare set. nyahnyah.gif Rolling really well till I said something out loud about it and then they died for the last set.

JD
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Ancient History is an encyclopedia, I´m just a nerd wink.gif

Anyway, here´s what I´ve sifted through today. The most interesting to read on Vogel is CD, IMO. Most other stuff seems quiet redundant to that.

Arthur Vogel & Sierra, Inc.
Super Tuesday - pp. 18: * 2014, grew up in Toronto. Law School in 2030s. One World Association (affiliated to the Democratic Party) in 52. Ran for presidancy on a Democrat ticket with Troll Eagle Shaman Garry Gray.
- p. 22: some background probably not known in detail to the shadow comunity.
- p. 31: describes the possible outcomes of that particular adventure (I can give a synopsis if you don´t have access or time to read it). If everything went well, the runners involved have been media darlings for 15 minutes - in this case I´d want to have them contacted to get some inside news.
- p. 32: Legwork info on Vogel including rumors about his shadowy business associations (see p. 22 for details).
Dunkelzahn´s Secrets - p. 31: 2M:nuyen: to Sierra
- p. 33: Seat on the Ares Board to Arthur Vogel
- p. 67: basic info on Sierra, Inc., including rumors about being a front for Save our Seas and Terra First!
Blood in the Boardroom - p. 57: Aurelius sells his Ares stock to Vogel, making him the largest shareholder
- pp. 58: Basic info on Vogel (note that there is also some info on Karen King). Gives presidency of Sierra to Gary Gray, but stays on the board. Vogel is cautious not to cross Knight and only targets lesser Ares subsidaries with his eco-concience, making some belive he sold out. It is unknown, where Vogel got the funds to buy Aurelius´ shares.
- pp. 60: basic info on Sierra.
- p. 67: 2 very interesting adventure hooks, giving insight into Vogels eco-terrorist conections (this might again be unknown to the shadow community at large) and Richard Villiers´ attempt to track Vogels funds, which lead back to a bank in Santa Fe, PCC and indicate conections to the PCC government (further information at this site has been destroyed).
Corporate Download - pp. 36: A lot information on Vogel including further hints about his terrorist-links, backers (leading to the Carib League, Santa Fe/PCC, PCC/Denver, Northern Crescent and Prince Edward Island) and some insight into his personality.
- p. 38: The Unseen, possibly allies of Vogel´s backers.
- p. 125: once more some info about Vogel´s MO inside Ares.
- pp. 126: more speculations on the Unseen.
Loose Alliances - pp. 13: Info on Save our Seas (seam to be quiet tame) and more recent info on Sierra. HQ relocated to PCC, due to Saito (did they return to Sacramento when Saito was gone?).
- p. 16: Info on Terra First!
Systen Failure - p. 97: Looks like the Unseen played a big part in countering CATCo´s Seraphim.

EDIT: I´m only looking up all this stuff, because John is such an info-junky.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (adamu @ Sep 6 2006, 12:53 AM)
DireRadiant

Okay, OOC everything is exactly the way I had it only now you have 5 boxes of stun damage.  You still have initiative despite the lost die.

IC - beautiful posts as usual.  But I do wish you'd waited for me to answer your question about the cops' status re. their response to you.

I hope you will keep 90% of the cop POV post, as it is awesome, but I will need you to please edit to reflect two points.
1)  They were sent to that address by dispatch, told to expect your imminent arrival there.
2)  They were instructed you were extremely dangerous and given a rare 'pre-authorization for use of lethal force' in other words, a shoot on sight order.

Yes, I am giving away some stuff - but then it's mostly in your suggested outline to me anyway, plus most of it will be apparent to Harriet anyway once she thinks about it later (the car already concealed under a pile of boxes, the lack of any verbal commands before they were about to shoot, etc.).  Most importantly, you have demonstrated yourself to be a sufficiently excellent role-player to compartmentalize any OOC knowledge you get (although as I said, Harriet would probably figure a lot of that out later anyway).

Sorry about the hassle.

Harriet - Third Wave

Sorry, My Muse couldn't wait. Did a slight rewrite to reflect the dispatched and ambush part. No problem with the rewrite, my fault for not waiting for an answer. Obviously I considered the possibility otherwise I wouldn't have asked so I also knew enough to wait for an answer.

I'd been wondering how to write the scene for a while, so when it all finally worked out I couldn't stop from writing it out, then of course I had to post it.

I'll do an OOC post in a bit wth projected actions and rolls.
DireRadiant
Harriet - Third Wave

For clarification, is this the situation?
Harriet = Facing two Lone Star officers, 5 boxes stun (-1 pool) , Electrical shock (-2)
Harriet Officer 1 = Up
Harriet Officer 2 = Up
Morris Officer 1 = Knocked out|down with Morris on top stunned and convulsing
Morris Officer 2 = Brains knocked out for hitting Harriets brother.
Morris = down and convulsing

Asking because it could be the one Morris stunned is also the one Harriet hit.

Even though Harriet succeeded with the electricity damage convulsion check, she still suffers a - 2 penalty for 2 + Net hits combat turns (p 154, electricity damage) (Stun batons are very effective melee weapons)

Stun Batons...

Free Action - Drop Steel pipe/Railing
Simple Action - Pick up Stun Baton from downed officer (Hope these don't have biometric locks or something like that)
Simple Action - Sprint Away! Hope to get out of melee range

Strength 6 + Running 2 - Stun 1 - Electrical Shock 2 = 5 Sprint away from Officers
5 5 5 1 4 = 3 (+ 6 Meters! Except of course, Harriet will be running -back- at them later...)

Reaction 5 + Clubs 4 - Stun 1 + Reach 1 - Electrical Shock 2 = 7 Melee Dodge (in case of not getting out of range)
1 4 2 1 3 3 3 = 0
5 2 2 5 6 5 5 = 5
6 5 6 2 1 4 4 = 3

Reaction 5 - Stun 1 - Electrical Shock 2 + Defender Running 2 = 5 Range Dodge (In case of pick up/draw weapon and shoot)
1 3 2 6 5= 1
1 6 5 3 5= 3
5 2 2 3 4= 1

Body 6 = Damage Soaks (in case of getting hit)
5 1 5 1 3 3 = 2
6 6 4 4 2 1 = 2
5 5 2 1 3 5 = 3

Body 6 + Will 3 - Stun 1 - Electrical Shock 2 = 6 Electrical Stun/Convulsion Checks
1 2 2 6 5 2 = 2
3 1 5 6 2 4 = 2
2 1 1 1 3 5 = 1 Glitch

IP Pass 4 Init
Init 7 - Stun 1 - Electrical Shock 2 = 4
3 4 2 6 = 1 + 7 = 8

EDGE 2/4 - What to do, what to do? Tactically it's better to not be hit at all with the stun batons, and in fact getting shot would be preferable for the moment, got some physical damage track boxes to give, but whomever wants to be shot? Since I got no hits with the first melee dodge, I'll use edge to reroll failure on that dodge in the hope that it will turn into a miss, should it be needed.

Reaction 5 + Clubs 4 - Stun 1 + Reach 1 - Electrical Shock 2 = 7 Melee Dodge (EDGE Reroll failure)
6 4 1 5 1 5 3 = 3
BlackHat
Adam - Third Wave

Adam's response was kind of a rant. Feel free to interrupt him - but since Franco's been pretty quiet so far, I imagined he was going to let Adam talk and see what he was going to spill.
JDragon
Angus - Second Wave

IC is done up to me giving the cabby the location I want him to take me.

I wanted to see what his inital reaction is and plan to give him a good tip and some memorabilia to keep him quite.

If I get to drop me off there I will act like I'm walking in and the find a close by coffin motel where they will not pay much attention to me to crash for a day or two to let my body put its self back together.

Asuming we make it that far.

JD
adamu
BlackHat

I am of two very different minds about how Franco will respond to your initial speech. They basically depend on whether he buys the 'pro negotiator' act, or takes you for some stupid kid. Based on how I (through his eyes) perceive the strengths and weaknesses of your presentation so far, it could easily go either way. So why don't you give me a con test. This is not to resolve anything but how much he buys into your act. Add one die total for the suit, comm message, etc. Remember, it's an opposed test - he'll be rolling also.
adamu
Congratulations go out to Konsaki/Caittie for being our next hitting bottom graduate, joining JDragon now in the 'transition stage.'
adamu
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Harriet - Third Wave

Harriet = Facing two Lone Star officers, 5 boxes stun (-1 pool) , Electrical shock (-2)
Harriet Officer 1 = Up
Harriet Officer 2 = Up

That is correct.

As you run away they both get a free-action Intercept attack, but your edge was well-spent - both miss. They both chase you, but after a few steps Doris does an 'oh shit' and remembers she left her gun on the ground. She goes back, picks it up and holsters it.
The other guy sprints after you but can't catch you - he's about four meters behind you.
Time for next combat turn.

As usual, post IC or wait.
adamu
Blue Rondo

Is he about to shoot? Just pointing and threatening? Impossible to know from one millisecond to the next.

I'll need to know your next actions OOC before we can proceed with any IC posting.
If you want to do something involving speed or that changes the status quo of you standing there with the gun aimed at you - you'll need initiative, declaration of actions, etc.

If you don't feel that's necessary, then just tell me here what you will do.

As for the room you are in - I am sure we both have different pictures of it in our minds. I have already said that it is a master bedroom, with a master bath attached. The bathroom door is on the other side of the room from the door into the hall, and those two points form a triangle with the guy who, as I said, is in a far corner from you.
Other than that, the furniture and other contents/features of the room are up to you. Just make sure that if anything you decide about the room impacts any actions or outcomes, that those setting details come out in your OOC and then later in any IC posts.
adamu
Ankle Biter

Dude, hoping you can post an IC summary of the next scene.

You will be left in the chair, all strapped up and hooked to IVs. But you will be offered good food and drink, and female staff will ask if you need to relieve yourself, and assist - though you will never be unrestrained.

A team of debriefers that act more like clerks than anything else will spend maybe six hours asking you questions. All sorts of insane details about your living circumstances, your background, your family, you movements. And even more trivial stuff about Trevor, what toothpaste he uses, what music he likes, and yes, they want complete and graphic details of your intimate habits (don't care about specifics IC, but please do make it clear that the questioning extends that far).

They won't threaten you or anything, it is all very businesslike and polite, even if you stonewall on anything. They won't respond at all to anything YOU might say about torture.

OOC, I need you to tell me whether you lie at all and whether you hold anything back or refuse to answer anything. As for you family, the questions will go so far as to firmly establish their identities and whereabouts or how to find them (assuming you answer), but will not delve deeper.
BlackHat
Adam - Third Wave

Awesome. Of course, you didn't really mention which way is more benificial to Adam/Shwen. wink.gif I could easily see that going either way, too. But, since the pro negotiator thing was what Adam was going for, and I'm still hoping he's afraid of stepping on anyone's toes in the Organized Crime circle, I'm going to edge it up again!

Charisma (4) + Influence (4) + Edge ( 8 ) + Bonus (1) = 17 dice
6,2,6,2,1,6,3,2,2,5,3,2,3,5,3,6,6 = 7 hits
Rerolling 6's (I think I forgot to do that last time I used edge, but I think I get to since I declared it ahead of time): 5,4,6,3 = 2 more hits
Do I reroll that 6? If so: 1 = 0 more hits.

So, total Adam got something like 9 hits, (and has 6 of his 8 edge uses left)

Take that Mr. Mobster Man.

If Franco wins, I'll be very scared about how the rest of this is going to go. wink.gif
adamu
QUOTE (JDragon)
Angus - Second Wave

If I get to drop me off there I will act like I'm walking in and the find a close by coffin motel where they will not pay much attention to me to crash for a day or two to let my body put its self back together.

JD - it is in no way my intention to harrass you about typos - this is a game, not homework, but a quick look at the quote will probably show you how I am confused on this sentence. It is an important point, and I am not sure whether you meant to write "...act like I'm walking on and then find a close by coffin..." or is it that you act like you're walking in (to some other building) and then go to a different place?

Sorry to be a pain, just want to get it clear.

anal adamu

Anyway, that question notwithstanding, you have no trouble getting him to take you Novelty Hill, even though you get the impression that he doesn't usually go to Redmond. The basic fare is Y50 (quite a stretch from Downtown to Redmond). I am pretty sure coffin prices are in the book. Remember, street lifestyle means paying out of pocket for every single thing you consume.

Let me know what you want to do next.
adamu
MK Ultra

Okay, since I assume you are starting the 'time' toward your extended test from the 5th, let's get that meet with S. Villiers in early so no matter how well you roll, that trip will be within the time you take to complete the extended test.

So Lanier agrees to get you an appointment with her (I believe from my notes from you that while you have met Richard, you have never met her). Later an assistant calls your office and puts the meeting in her Seattle office at 2:00 pm on Friday the 7th. During your brief discussion of your proposal, Lanier mentions something about 'good luck with that damned envelope,' referring of course to the fact that Daviar may or may not be basing all her Ares decisions on an envelope of instructions Dunk left her (I am sure not only John but you, MK, are well aware of this).

Another note - you probably already gathered this from your own reading, but it involves some interpretation, so let me tell you what John's impression of Ares leadership is ----
Basically, they are indeed the all-American corp. Yes, they are corp-ruthless. But they really do believe they are good for America, and want what's best for America. Of course, in their view, the interests of Ares and America perfectly coincide, and they are, of course, the best people to decide exactly what those interests are. So essentially they act like any other mega, but their overriding philosophy does include a very healthy dose of pro-American patriotism.

IC however far you want up to Seattle.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (adamu)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 6 2006, 09:26 AM)
Harriet - Third Wave

Harriet Officer 1 = Up
Harriet Officer 2 = Up

That is correct.

As you run away they both get a free-action Intercept attack, but your edge was well-spent - both miss. They both chase you, but after a few steps Doris does an 'oh shit' and remembers she left her gun on the ground. She goes back, picks it up and holsters it.
The other guy sprints after you but can't catch you - he's about four meters behind you.
Time for next combat turn.

As usual, post IC or wait.

Harriet - Third Wave

A single combat turn doesn't seem to have enough happening to make a IC post worthwhile. Whereas when we get a couple of combat turns in we get some flow of action and some turning points which are very nice for a post, so I'd like to resolve this action OOC before posting IC again. Otherwise it seems too much like a play by play rather then a scene. Of course that makes the IC posts much less frequent when we get into combat. How do you feel about it?

IP Pass 4 Init (From Previous post)
Init 7 - Stun 1 - Electrical Shock 2 = 4
3 4 2 6 = 1 + 7 = 8

5 boxes Stun (-1 pool)
Free Action - Run
Complex Action - Attack with Charge the officer chasing Harriet
Net Reach = 0 if we are both wielding stun batons.

Agility 5 + Clubs 4 - Stun 1 - Electrical Shock 2 + Charging 2 = 9 Melee Attack with Stun Baton (6S(e) -half AP)
1 6 2 5 3 6 1 4 2 = 3

Reaction 5 + Clubs 4 - Stun 1 - Electrical Shock 2 + Defender Running 2 (The officer should get this die mod too when defending against Harriet) = 9 Melee Dodge
2 5 4 2 5 4 2 5 3 = 3
5 2 2 5 6 5 5 = 5 (in case second officer joins melee and attacks)

Reaction 5 - Stun 1 - Electrical Shock 2 + Defender Running 2 = 5 Range Dodge (In case of Doris pick up/draw weapon and shoot)
5 3 4 5 3 = 2

Body 6 = Damage Soaks (in case of getting hit)
2 1 1 3 2 6 = 1
3 6 5 6 6 6 = 5

Body 6 + Will 3 - Stun 1 - Electrical Shock 2 = 6 Electrical Stun/Convulsion Checks
3 2 6 3 1 2 = 1

EDGE 3/4 - Let's see what happens, I'd like to save this for the don't die option, but it may be needed to avoid going down to electrical convulsions.

General Intentions
If, and it's a big if, Harriet can take this officer down, then the next IP I'd like to Intimidate and see if Doris can be inspired to run away! Or maybe Harriet will just be shot down like a rabid Tusker... tune in to find out!

Edit: Note that I'm doing best guess on the base mods, feel free to chop off or add dice to the pools as necessary. I think you're doing that already, but I just want to be explicit about it being my guesses.
JDragon
QUOTE (adamu)
QUOTE (JDragon @ Sep 7 2006, 03:58 AM)
Angus - Second Wave

JD - it is in no way my intention to harrass you about typos - this is a game, not homework, but a quick look at the quote will probably show you how I am confused on this sentence. It is an important point, and I am not sure whether you meant to write "...act like I'm walking on and then find a close by coffin..." or is it that you act like you're walking in (to some other building) and then go to a different place?

Sorry to be a pain, just want to get it clear.

anal adamu

Anyway, that question notwithstanding, you have no trouble getting him to take you Novelty Hill, even though you get the impression that he doesn't usually go to Redmond. The basic fare is Y50 (quite a stretch from Downtown to Redmond). I am pretty sure coffin prices are in the book. Remember, street lifestyle means paying out of pocket for every single thing you consume.

Let me know what you want to do next.

Angus - Second Wave

Adamu

No problem. That post was very unclear, very sorry about that. I think you actually dug out what I had meant to say. It was late last night when I posted it and I had put all my energy into my IC post.

Here's a recap to confirm we are on the same page.

When the cab arrives at the location I provided I will pay, including a generous tip and a request for him to forgot he saw me. I'll get out of the cab and start to talk toward the front door like I'm going in. Once the cab pulls away, I'll stop and wait for half a minute or so to make sure hes out of sight. When he is out of sight I will walk down the street a few blocks and find a coffin motel where I will stay till I'm feeling better and have a chance to figure out what I'm doing next.

This way if someone figures out I used a cab to get out of downtown they can't track me straight to where I'm staying.

Understood on the lifestyle and I'll make sure I track all expenses from this point forward including the cost of cab & tip.

I'll post IC to cover the rest of the cab ride as soon as I can.

Also I'll try to double check my posts better before submitting in the future.

Thanks

JD
pragma
First Wave, Gregory

Holding off on IC for a little bit b/c while some OOC stuff gets sorted out.

1st: Did Greg actually get the beast spirit? I rolled summoning and never saw a counter roll for its resistance.

2nd: Are we using chase rules until Greg is out of the house?
adamu
BlackHat

Dude, the following is in no way intended to discourage long speeches/posts. In fact, it is intended to encourage them.

I think they are a sort of convention of this medium - as snappy repartee in pithy bits and pieces would take us years of post cycles to get through.

Long posts move us along more speedily.

But as you yourself recently pointed out, they may be interrupted.

Also, and I think of great importance to you in delicate meets such as this, as you speak, you have the opportunity to see how the other parties are reacting.

So, the first thing I want to say about your last IC post is that after you finish the third paragraph - the PC paragraph (which I appreciated, personally - I know it's roleplaying the villain and all, but I hate saying those things - but necessary to the story) - anyway, after that paragraph, could you do me a favor and edit in the following response from Franco?

Franco held up his hands in a stop motion. "My friend, I assure you I meant no disrespect. I mean, I figured, seein' as how we are not in mixed company, an' how you don't have an emotional involvement, we can speak as men speak. But I very much appreciate your point and agree that we should....I should...elevate the civility level of this discussion."

End of my quote.
At this point Adam is pretty darned sure he has Franco not only convinced that he represents somebody important, but it seems to be someone that Franco is so scared of, he hasn't even dared ask you who it is (in other words - you got a critical success on the con). He is bordering on obsequious.

So your speech proceeds.

But after the eighth paragraph - basically the moment you say "You're a family man yourself, aren't you?" the bodyguards behind you are IMMEDIATELY on their feet and starting towards you. But Franco - whose expression darkens considerably, holds up a hand to stop them, and a moment later accentuates the hand movement and they sit back down. Then he nods at you to continue, but now he is watching you like a man watches someone who is holding a gun on him.

Please edit that moment in, in your own words is fine.

From there - you are free to either
A) leave the rest of the speech intact
or
B) modify it in any way you want

Either way is cool with the GM - I'll get back to you once I see what you have done with the post.
adamu
DireRadiant

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 7 2006, 09:31 AM)

A single combat turn doesn't seem to have enough happening to make a IC post worthwhile. Whereas when we get a couple of combat turns in we get some flow of action and some turning points which are very nice for a post, so I'd like to resolve this action OOC before posting IC again. Otherwise it seems too much like a play by play rather then a scene. Of course that makes the IC posts much less frequent when we get into combat. How do you feel about it? 

I agree there are pros and cons to both. Since you are doing the IC (and very well, I leave it up to you because it gives you artistic flexibility). There will be times when I want it one way or the other for whatever reason, but if I say it is up to you, it really means I want you to do what is most fun for you.

They got initiative. When you turn to charge, the guy a bit behind you delays and meets your charge, which gives him a bonus. But you still parry the attack. NOte that I cut your two defense dice for target running as the rules specify that is for ranged combat only.

Doris also runs up and joins him, but has to sprint to get there, so won't attack.

Your attack on him - tag him a good one, you can see he feels it, but he doesn't go down. End of turn you are squared off against the two of them again, but now you are down the street a ways, and the flow of the thrust and parry has put you all in the middle of the deserted street. (Of course you know that the windows are filled with junkies and gangers and other denizens of this neighborhood, but there is no way they are messing with the Star.)

Finally, you note that you have used three of your four karma, but I was just sure you had used only two - once to attack, and once to resist the convulse thing.
adamu
pragma

dude, totally sorry to leave you hanging on the spirit - not used to SR4 summoning yet.

Spirit got 2 successes, so that means you got one service and take no drain.

Getting out -

Getting out is not a problem at all if you want to leave forthwith - you have plenty of time if you want to go straight out.

If for whatever reason you wish to linger awhile, we will have to figure out how much you can do combat turn by combat turn, and I will tell you when and if you blow up.

It is 20 meters from where you are standing to the door, two meters up the stairs, 20 meters to your car.

And yes, if you do hang around in here, you can use the chase rules for anything except finding info/clues - that will obviously have to be micromanaged by me.
adamu
Hey everyone - Konsaki's next IC post(s) are going to have her succeeding at a number of useful things without any adjudication from me. Please no one think I am turning into a softy - everything's been worked by PM for Caittie's transition phase.
adamu
JDragon

Thanks for the clarification. No worries. You achieve all that stuff.

Next move in the life of Angus is pretty much on you now. I have lots of plans, but right now you are a free agent.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (adamu)
DireRadiant
Finally, you note that you have used three of your four karma, but I was just sure you had used only two - once to attack, and once to resist the convulse thing.

I think this is what I've used them on.

Edge - First Attack
Edge - Convulsion Test
Edge - Dodge from Intercept attack when running away., thus avoiding another convulsion check
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu)
BlackHat

Dude, the following is in no way intended to discourage long speeches/posts. In fact, it is intended to encourage them.

My thoughts exactly. I will edit my post to reflect what you added - that's exaclty how I wanted you to ste in between those paragraphs - cause this would take us years to get through otherwise... and, yes, it is tought writting out a monologue having ot assume the person on the other side of the table is hypnotised. smile.gif THis will make it a lot more of a believeable conversation.

After the bodyguard thing I will probably modify my post. You know, I don't want to get killed on my way back to the taxi or anything. wink.gif And I suppose my point was made clear without having to beat him over the head with it like I did when I first wrote it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012