Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
MK Ultra
A skinlink is only an interface so you don´t have to use cables or wifi. It transmits the data along the user´s skin. There should be no inherent security measures, but a smartgun usually has a password. I´m quiet confident, that I can hack the guns, however - maybe I even get inside that cool comlink, that´s probably implanted in fragger.

The scanners will be put to good use, searching Naguel for implants, for sure.

I see no problem with the first aid, unless I detect some attention from lonestar. I´d have to default however.

@ Adamu How do I make an English roll to decrypt the cop chatter? It´s my native language, which for some silly reason has no rating in SR4. Should I asume it´s 6 or should we just stick with a default roll?
MK Ultra
So, here is a roll for either case. 5 hits for English, 2 hits for police procedures defaulted. I also rolled 3 supportive dice for Law Knowledge / 2, in case that´s aplicable, which scored an additional 2 hits. So that would be either 7 or 4 hits total.

Also, a Perception roll 6 hits, in case there are any hidden items, smuggling compartments, etc.

While I´m taking a look at Jack´s wounds, my com should do a search on lonstar-slang/codes. The search should be restricted to some kind of online enceclopedia similar to wikipedia, so it only takes a few combat turns, just like the first aid.

First Aid (p. 242) 4 hits, which would heal 2 boxes, unless conditions and essence-loss accumulate to a dice pool modifire greater then -3.

For the Datasearch (p. 219), I´ll buy hits (Datasearch + Brows = 11, that´s 2 hits / CT for a max of 22 hits).

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
Jack - I have reviewed your attributes, knowledge skills, and active skills. I fear that without Edge for a Longshot test, you have exactly zero dice for figuring out what the gloves might be (I call that the dice pool that cannot glitch).
You do know that they are AR gloves, but there are additional features, you think, maybe. Not gecko gloves, or rappeling gloves.

MK - for the record, if you need to make a test for your Native Language, the base is 8 dice for the skill. But you totally manage to understand all the cop chatter. It just confirms your initial impression that they are unaware of the recent fracas. (A key point being that Naguel's automatic weapon was suppressed.)

You do indeed manage to fix two points of physical damage on Jack.

You find nothing hidden in terms of physical hiding places.

That catches me up on questions.

Next, you guys are totally free to do whatever you like.
I would like to suggest, however, that the in-game advantages to returning to the barrio or wherever are many (a clinic/doctor; you won't still be in the location of a crime; you won't be doing a bunch of tech stuff in a filling station bathroom; and the list goes on).
But that is not my concern.
But if you do go back, the others can get back into the game...

That said, please continue doing anything that you think would be advanateous to do here in the Fortress before heading out. Not trying to cramp anyone's play, just suggesting that once you reach a point where all locations are equal IC, then another place is much more equal OOC.
Jack Robustus
OOC I would agree with our sage gamemaster. If we can put ourselves in closer proximity to your team, the adventure moves forward with a lot less work for him and everyone else.

That said, I'm going to post an IC of Jack thinking out loud with some suggestions on what to do next.

Thanks for the explanation on the skinlink. That is the type of knowledge that my character, given his professional history, would be aware of, even if I am not. So, Jack will help himself to the machine pistol, as well as the ammo, if Krait does not object.
MK Ultra
I was thinking about suggesting that Carla should do the first aid in the first place and calling her to pick us up with the gang van. After she sent that call, which is some time in the futur from our position, however, I thought about some way to avoid intercepting with her allready posted IC. So I was thinking about hijacking some automated cab or delivery van, so we can take the bike and corps with us. My first thought was, to simply relocate to another place, like a hacked hotel or store room, but bringing a corps close to Carla sounds like fun biggrin.gif. Besides, Naguel´s employers clearly know abnout the barrio and he probably recognized St. Pierre, so I´m not as concerned about tracking devices as usual.

I´m aiming for an IC tonight and will of course post any rolls for my hacking attempt. Now going on to read IC smile.gif

EDIT: Oh, just noticed that Carla allready arrived at 8 in the morning. Well, we will sort this out somehow. Maybe we can make Los Locos partners in crime to scrounge any parts from the bike.
Jack Robustus
Yes, having Carla jump that far ahead does pose very real problems for us. For all extents and purposes, we might as well consider the twins to be that far ahead as well, given Conall's initiation scene.

Bringing in the gang is fine with me. As already noted in my IC Jack is not interested in making any money off the bike. The gang can certainly have his former share.

If Krait can make that arrangement, I think that is the way to go.
MK Ultra
No rolls tonight, I´m sorry, but it´s gotten much too late for me. Trying to put these up tomorrow. The routine will be quiet similar to the coffin-hotel sheme. Note that I don´t want to steal a car if possible, just borrow an automated one.

Just so you know, my general plan is to hack a ride. Then get St. Pierre´s comcode from Belinda and contact him, to ask for shelter in exchange for a share of the spoils. Jack can then spend the night to do some healing, while I´m trying some hacking or tinkering, so the whole team will hit the next morning pretty soon.

EDIT:
The Lonestar code list is from the Lonestar Sorcebook, by the way.
adamu
Yeah, thought I recognized the codes from the old book. Too bad old Nigel (RIP) didn't know squat about anything in the real world...

But anyway - great IC post. Actually, we have had really nice IC posts from EVERYONE recently (except, um, Vegas, you out there girl?).

There is no reason the cab has to be a big hassle - it's not really directly related to your run, and I have seen your numbers on hacking easy commercial targets. It won't be a problem as long as you don't keep it for too long (there are systems in place to notice this kind of thing in the meat world, no matter what you do as a hacker).

And gangers are pretty nocturnal, plus you treated St. Pierre very respectfully. He will be happy to put you up no questions asked in a musty basement with semi-clean bedding and even a ramp for the bike wreck - in exchange for some of the loot, of course. Just make him what he thinks is a reasonable offer (he's not stupid) and it'll be fine - he has ABSOLUTELY no chance against you in negotiations.

So just IC all that, get some sleep, and everyone will be on the same timeline, and you can think about answering the question Carla sent everyone.
(I promise that, whatever evil befalls you, there will be no ill effect from crashing and waiting till morning to do all the tech stuff I know you must be planning.)
BlueRondo
My last IC post was just fluff - I posted it just to let you all know that I'm still around (it had been a week since my last post.) Feel free to go along with your plans involving Carla, and I'll just edit my post accordingly.
MK Ultra
No need to. Things sound quiet neet as they are projected IMO. And even John has to sleep sometimes wink.gif. I might even make another trip to the gray world.

So, I think I can get the IC up tonight, so we all can be in the same timeframe tomorrow smile.gif
MK Ultra
To be continued tomorrow, but anyone can move us forward from there, I can fill in my night-time activetie´s as a flashback, later.
Jack Robustus
Jack wants what he wants, make no mistake about it. In his mind, he is the owner of the list posted in my last IC and he is in no mood to share out what he considers his to the gangers. All other items are Krait's to be doled out as he pleases.

In addition, he'll be more than happy to train the gang on the monofilament whip, a weapon that would surely inspire fear in their enemies.

Sorry if I seem a bit possesive and/or rude, but I think my character deserves a decent return on his risk. It's not anyone that would stand toe to toe with someone dishing out APDS from an automatic weapon.

MK Ultra
All cool. IMO Jack has well earned those items. I had no intention to share stuff with the gang, except the bike.
Jack Robustus
Jack sets out to start the healing process.

[ Spoiler ]

@MK Ultra, sorry if I seemed a bit paranoid in my last OOC post. This is Shadowrun after all. wink.gif

I'll post some sort of IC later today.
adamu
Jack, dice look fine.
Technically, you make that roll after you have rested for a full 24. But that is no big, except that the 7 boxes won't be healed until you have managed the complete rest period.
For the record, Carla could have come in and added a substantial number of additional dice, but looks like you have already got all you need anyway.
Good RP opportunity though, and now that you are maxed on needed successes, further ones could reduce your rest time (I don't think that's RAW, but seems like a good idea).
adamu
ANNOUNCEMENT

Obviously we have all noticed - and greatly lamented - Vegas' recent inactivity.
No flake, she recently contacted me.
She has had some unhappy real life stuff of late that has sort of knocked the wind out of her desire to game.
She may return to our game, and as far as I am concerned, she will always be welcome.

She suggested the same thing I was already planning - while she is inactive, Etain will be an NPC handled by me. As such, she will not participate in the run, but rather will continue to lose her way in Seattle's seedy social scene (barring, of course, PC intervention - that will depend on y'all's energy and initiative, whether that is a sub-plot anyone wishes to take on).
For Vegas, this sort of keeps her character on suspended animation until her return, and for us, it is certainly the most logical next step in what we have seen from Etain so far.

Naturally the loss of a shaman from your team will erode your power level. Thus, Jack's arrival is especially timely.
If you all are happy with the current group composition, great, fine with me.
If you feel you need another warm digital body to replace Vegas, let me know and we will talk about a solution.

In other business, the ball is with you guys for now - you have many leads and much tech and other RP errands to be attended to. Initiative is the name of the game.
Mister Juan
<cries>
Well.... this makes me on sad camper, but I can understand how she feels.
Nevertheless, I'll do my best to keep the Etain/Conall duo going.

@Adamu

I'll have a post for Conall up soon.

@BR

Carla has set the meeting at the clinic for noon, correct?
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Sep 18 2008, 09:22 PM) *
It's not anyone that would stand toe to toe with someone dishing out APDS from an automatic weapon.

This, buddy, is open for debate I think nyahnyah.gif
I can't wait for Jack and Conall to be "properly" introduce! I can just feel all the fun situation we'll get into biggrin.gif
Oh the joy!
MK Ultra
This is bad news. Vegas will be missed! But as long as there´s hope...
Anyway, best whishes for you, girl.

As my IC suggests, I´ll have a short nap, even if a very uncomfortable one. What else, I´m trying to get that camera to work for me (3 hits for hardware, 6 hits for hacking on the fly and 2 hits for editing the subscription list). Then I´ll start probing the 6/6 comlink for admin access, which (buying 2 hits per hour), should be done at 0900. If analyzing the node before I start (buying 3 hits as usual, to learn allert status, presence of databomb and whatever ... maybe activety) shows it´s on active alart (though I have made no attack on it before), I´ll have to think about either making rolls or chosing a lesser account previleges level. I´m not planing to access the node right away, when the probing is done.

[ Spoiler ]

Mr Juan 1200, correct.
Jack Robustus
@adamu a full 24 hours was my understanding as well and my IC will reflect such.

As I said in an earlier IC Jack is a fast healer.

That certainly is tough news about Vegas. I hope she gets through her bad patch.

Is Jack a suitable replacement for Etain? No, unless you count having a warm body as a suitable replacement.

He is what he is, a tough ork that can take a lot of damage and usually dish a lot out in return. He's never going to provide astral overwatch or heal anybody. He's never going to win an etiquette test or come out on top in a social encounter, unless the encounter comes to blows. He is physically ugly and unintelligent and I plan to keep him that way.
adamu
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Sep 20 2008, 01:51 AM) *
Is Jack a suitable replacement for Etain? No, unless you count having a warm body as a suitable replacement.

He is what he is, a tough ork that can take a lot of damage and usually dish a lot out in return. He's never going to provide astral overwatch or heal anybody. He's never going to win an etiquette test or come out on top in a social encounter, unless the encounter comes to blows. He is physically ugly and unintelligent and I plan to keep him that way.

Well, the team needed a bit more of that. Apples and oranges are both healthy and delicious.

Like I said, if you all feel you need more people, tell me. There are pros and cons either way.
adamu
MK Ultra - you have no trouble getting any of the five micro-sensors w/camera to work for you - I assume those are what you meant by camera? They are not currently subscribed to anything.

Now, for that "6/6" commlink:
As noted in the loot-list - you find TWO obviously modified Meta Links.
1) This is clearly the one your analyze identified earlier. It has a very strong Signal. You found it in a secret pocket in the man's armored jacket.
2) This one currently has no wifi signal, but is connected by datajack to the dead man.

You can indeed finish the probe on #1 once you buy 12 successes.

That leaves you with three hours before noon.
BlueRondo
Best wishes to Vegas - I hope she makes it back eventually.

As for the game, yes, Carla asked her teammates to meet her at the clinic around noon with a request for supplies and/or any update on intelligence.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (adamu @ Sep 20 2008, 11:42 AM) *
MK Ultra - you have no trouble getting any of the five micro-sensors w/camera to work for you - I assume those are what you meant by camera? They are not currently subscribed to anything.

Now, for that "6/6" commlink:
As noted in the loot-list - you find TWO obviously modified Meta Links.
1) This is clearly the one your analyze identified earlier. It has a very strong Signal. You found it in a secret pocket in the man's armored jacket.
2) This one currently has no wifi signal, but is connected by datajack to the dead man.

You can indeed finish the probe on #1 once you buy 12 successes.

That leaves you with three hours before noon.

Oh, I had the impression the metalinks where turned off or not in hidden mode, which made them uninteresting for me at the moment. So I concentrated on the detected hidden 6/6 com, which I assumed to be implanted. But given that one Metalink is conected to a datajack and both are turnde on, makes the setup much clearer, especially if I notice, that they are both modified.

So I would like to roll dice, instead of buying hits, to get an admin exploit for both coms. According to the rolls below, I´d need 6 hours per com. As the datajack-linked com probably dosn´t have any wifi turned on, I´ll blug in any one of the ceap wireless devices, to jurry-rig a wifi antenna (Hardware roll 3 hits).

[ Spoiler ]

I will probe both coms before accessing any, rolls for that will be up next (though I´m considdering to do that right after - or during the meet, in case the teem agrees to relocate), as well as an IC, that would bring me up to 1200, unless you object to any of this.
Mister Juan
@BR
You want to write Carla noticing Conall come in, or should I?
adamu
MK Ultra -
Some questions and comments -

* So, taking 12 hours instead of 9, your agent will finish both probes by noon. Do you plan on attending the meet at the clinic?

* Do you have a tool kit with you here in the basement? Even if not, you still got two hits on hardware, so you can rig up a wifi input for Meta Link #2. But I was just wondering.

* You notice that both the low-grade commlink and Meta Link #1 have thumbprint scanners on them. They are both on and wifi active at this moment, but you are pretty sure that the biometric lock may prevent actions being taken with them hardware-wise (unless you can bypass the biometric). It's hasn't been a problem yet, since they are both already turned on...

* I am a little confused by your last paragraph - you say you will "probe" both comms before accessing - but that is the thing that just took you 12 hours...were you just repeating yourself, or did you mean something different?

So as of now, I have you at noon, with both comms probed but not accessed/entered/exploited, including a makeshift wifi attachment forced upon Meta Link #2.

Jack Robustus
QUOTE (adamu @ Sep 15 2008, 12:30 PM) *
Ceska Black Scorpion
+Sound Suppressor
+Internal Smartlink System w/ skinlink
+RFID maintenance Stealth Tag
+ 70 Gel Rounds in 2 clips
+35 Regular rounds in 1 clip

Ingram Smartgun X
*Internal Smartlink system +Skinlink
*Gasvent 2
*Sound Supressor
+ RFID maintenance Stealth Tag
+64 APDS Rounds in 2 Clips (- 12 rounds)
+32 Ex-Explosive rounds in 1 Clip

Both of these weapons normally come with folding stocks. Do these still have their folding stocks?

For MKs benefit, please remember that Naguel's corpse had an electronics tool kit on it. I certainly doubt we would have left that behind. As I said, no wonder he couldn't outrun Jack!
MK Ultra
QUOTE (adamu @ Sep 20 2008, 08:49 PM) *
MK Ultra -
Some questions and comments -

* So, taking 12 hours instead of 9, your agent will finish both probes by noon. Do you plan on attending the meet at the clinic?

Yes. Will send the team a message at 1200, that I´ll be ~5 minutes late

* Do you have a tool kit with you here in the basement? Even if not, you still got two hits on hardware, so you can rig up a wifi input for Meta Link #2. But I was just wondering.

See Jack´s comment, NAguel had a hardware and an electronics tool kit with him, whatever the difference between these two may be.

* You notice that both the low-grade commlink and Meta Link #1 have thumbprint scanners on them. They are both on and wifi active at this moment, but you are pretty sure that the biometric lock may prevent actions being taken with them hardware-wise (unless you can bypass the biometric). It's hasn't been a problem yet, since they are both already turned on...

noted

* I am a little confused by your last paragraph - you say you will "probe" both comms before accessing - but that is the thing that just took you 12 hours...were you just repeating yourself, or did you mean something different?

Just a repeat

So as of now, I have you at noon, with both comms probed but not accessed/entered/exploited, including a makeshift wifi attachment forced upon Meta Link #2.

cool

I´m planing to go to the meeting and enter the comlinks afterwards.
BlueRondo
Adamu

I remembr Vanity saying that she had Kenichi's private commcode - did she actually give that to us during the interrogation?
MK Ultra
Yes, she did.

My IC stoped before I leave the basement, in case Jack has some question or reply. Otherwise BR & MJ feel free to have me arive at the clinik around 1205, once you two sorted out anything you might want to talk about in privat.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (BlueRondo @ Sep 21 2008, 09:13 PM) *
Adamu

I remembr Vanity saying that she had Kenichi's private commcode - did she actually give that to us during the interrogation?

God damnit! The guy's name is Kenichi? I kept calling him Kenji for some reason.....
BlueRondo
Well, you know, those Japanese names can be translated in different ways.
BlueRondo
Otherwise BR & MJ feel free to have me arive at the clinik around 1205, once you two sorted out anything you might want to talk about in privat.

Similarly, feel free to post an IC arrival at the clinic whenever you're ready, even if it means jumping ahead a few minutes.
adamu
For the record, it's Kenichi.

I think I am current on questions for now, so let me know if I missed anything.
Otherwise, things appear to be going swimmingly with the RP/debrief/planning/healing/teching.
Jack Robustus
Swimmingly, eh? Perhaps you're going native in England.

Jack will nap all of 20 minutes then get up and use the can and then see if his smartlink will interface with his new weapons.

IC will follow your reply regarding the smartlink interface question.
BlueRondo
Just for the sake of illustration, I thought this photo might be a good candidate for what the Sanctuary of St. Ignatius looks like:

http://www.traveladventures.org/continents...annaregio13.jpg

The street is too clean, but otherwise I think it's pretty good.
adamu
Great picture BR - it is always great to get graphics - not only because they make things more vivid, but because the more we have, the more we are all seeing a unified vision of things.

Jack - the weapons themselves are neither biometrically locked nor slaved to anything as far as you can tell. They come online with your smartlink just fine. And yes, they have the folding stocks.
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (adamu @ Sep 25 2008, 04:01 PM) *
Jack - the weapons themselves are neither biometrically locked nor slaved to anything as far as you can tell. They come online with your smartlink just fine. And yes, they have the folding stocks.
biggrin.gif SWEEEEEEEEEET!

And hey BR, that was a cool pic.
MK Ultra
Detauiled list of usefull equipment will follow tomorrow or so. I also did a Law roll, for old times sake, and scored 7 hits. 4 hits on an English check, to make sure John can be understood, anyway, just for the fun of it.

[ Spoiler ]

About the picture, I guess even in the barrio the street just in front of the entrance could be kept clean, who knows how it looks offscreen, just a few steps away smile.gif
Jack Robustus
adamu as we both know the mind can go to some interesting places during a commuter nap. I'm not sure if Jack caught a glimpse of the Naguel's fake SIN back at the restroom but if he did he will roll a memory test, pg 130, cause we all know what a sharp guy Jack is.

[ Spoiler ]

You just let me know if that will be enough successes to let me move on with the next phase of Jack's brainy plan.
adamu
Ummm - zero successes is rarely sufficient. Probably all the blood loss.
Of course one can only commend Jack for his efforts at intellectual initiative.
Feel free to try again - rules for that on p. 59.
Or you could just ask Mr. Photographic Memory when he gets back to your hideout.
Jack Robustus
All a joke dude. The only way Jack remembers all of the places he has been is because he has pictures of them in his commlink. The only way he remembers all of the stuff he is supposed to do in combat is that like an athlete he has trained his entire life to do those few things well.

Even if he did remember, can you imagine the number of successes he would get on a matrix search? I can--zero. If he did find anything it would take him all night (making it an excellent time waster) and it would be public information, the kind that is useless on a run.

So Jack will just doze and watch news on his commlink until folks return.
adamu
Mister Juan - I am unclear on where you are. If you want to be in the basement, post to that effect soon. Otherwise, if you can't get to the keyboard, it's no problem, we will just assume you went somewhere else - you can let us know where when your work schedule gives you some time to play.

Jack - don't know what all will happen now, but just a reminder that resting/healing, puttering around and role-playing is all well and good and enjoyed by all, but with any substantive, effect-producing action (like killing things...or re-killing them), my reading of the rules requires us to reset your 24 hours' rest clock.
Mister Juan
@adamu
Sorry for the lag wink.gif I've been a little busy in the past few days (exams coming up soon). I should be able to get something up tonight when I get back from class. And for future reference, I have classes after work on mondays, wednesdays and fridays.... so those days, don't expect a lot from me (usually).
As for where Conall is, he would have probably gone with Carla and Krait, unless sent off to some other errand.
BlueRondo
Yes, I assumed Paddy was following Krait and Carla.
adamu
Okay - sorry - I just have to ask - did people not notice in the post that "Naguel" is awake, or were you just role-playing your characters not having noticed?
No big - just trying to get feedback on whether my writing was clear enough.

I do not plan on IC posting until tomorrow - since Carla has issued a number of instructions to everyone, thought I would let everyone IC or OOC their own response.
Anyone I don't hear from by tomorrow it will be no big deal - I will just have you do as the leader says.

Oh, and it has been pointed out by one more observant than I that while everyone has the date (the 15th) correct, some people are still stamping their posts Thursday, when we have in fact moved to Friday. I'll do my own edits right now.
It is not horribly important for other people to go back and edit, just let's try to correct the problem going forward.
---anal adamu
MK Ultra
Oh, damn, I missed your IC compleatly, because I was writing my own, at the same time you posted, sorry! Have to read up on that asap! :-S

Sory about the wrong day thing, too frown.gif
BlueRondo
Okay - sorry - I just have to ask - did people not notice in the post that "Naguel" is awake, or were you just role-playing your characters not having noticed?

Haha, I was kind of wondering the same thing. Should we "re-play" the scene? I don't think Krait would casually start working on Naguel's datajack if he noticed his eyes were open and moving.

By the way, while Carla's IC post is meant to follow Jack's, I intentionally set my time-post a few minutes before his. I just thought it was a little weird that there was an eight-minute gap between when Krait entered the room and Jack introduced himself. I meant to bring this to everyone's attention but forgot. Sorry.
MK Ultra
Fucking creepy!

In any case, I guess there is no need to edit my IC. Even John may miss something at times.

Anyway, 7 hits on an unmodified Perception roll, to see if I notice it after gesturing towards the corps-comlink-link. 3 hits on a composure check.

Fluff IC going up tomorrow, but don´t bother to wait for me to start the action.

[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more it anoys me, to have missed that post. If I had noticed, I wouldn´t have done a whole 2 minutes of action (even if John did not notice). If anyone feels the same, let me know, and we can edit stuff, otherwise, would probably be less hastle, to simply play over the time discrepancy. :-S
Imagin how strange Carla´s behavior looked to me nyahnyah.gif
Jack Robustus
I noticed, but chose to ignore it since Jack doesn't even know what a shedim is. Maybe he does by this point. I suppose he figured some of Naguel's cyber circuitry had gone haywire, or worse that somebody might be controlling his eyes by remote. Now that's creepy! cyber.gif

And with nary another word Jack will spring into action, still at -3 to all dice pools, since 24 hours have not passed yet.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012