Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
Mister Juan
Adamu
Just to make Conall's speech clear: he's asking the guys if they know where he could get the following:
-Shockgloves
-A bike
-A driving license

Also, while I'm thinking of it, are magic users allowed to learn "Self only" version of spells? I mean, outside of having them design the spell themselves (like getting "Heal" but in a self only version).
adamu
Vegas

No reason for the Influence not to work on a spirit (provided of course you win the test). One key of course is that he is materializing, so that puts him on the physical plane with you, making him a valid spell target.

If you want to cast that spell, go for it.
MK Ultra
BlueRondo

Not really trying to Intimidate Carla, just make her break eye-contact for a short moment (of course that could be interpreted as an indicator for the packing-order). If she dos, once she re-establishes eye-contact, heīll let his eyes flicker to some free booth for an eyeblink, to guide her to not approach her directly. If she keeps the gaze long enough, heīll do so in the last moment, before it is too late to have her pass him by. In case she still approaches him directly, Iīll react IC, once she arrives at his table.

Just for the fun of it (but donīt feel compelled to use the numbers), I got 6 hits on an Intimidation-check.

In case you want to use the numbers, Adamu:
[ Spoiler ]
BlueRondo
I wrote my IC post before checking the OOC thread. I'll do a roll and edit the IC post depending on the results.

EDIT: Heh, forget about the roll; your hits are larger than my dice pool.
Vegas
Casting Influence (overcasting Force 7)
Magic (5) + Spellcasting (5) + Sustaining Spell (-2) = 8 dice
[5] [5] 1 3 [6] [5] 3 [6] Hits:5

Drain Resist (7/2) + 1 + 4
Willpower (4) + Charisma (5) = 9 dice
[6] 1 [6] 3 4 [5] 1 4 3 Hits:3
1 Physical
MK Ultra
BlueRondo

Next the 'Hacker' will basically ignore Carla for the next few minutes, untill a waitress is aproching her. He will than beam a message to the waitress, that heīd like to invite Carla on a coffee (or whatever she wants to order) on his tab.
If Carla agrees, he will come over to her both to talk. If she dosnīt, heīll basically just look at her from time to time, untill itīs 2200 and come over with some cheap, smartass line, but we should leave some time for MJ to arrive till then.
BlueRondo
The only thing Carla would ask for is water. Do you think they'd make her pay for that?
MK Ultra
Donīt know. Over here, youīd get bottled water and pay for it. Asking for water from the pipe would be very unusual (though the quality is quiet good). But I donīt know how this would be in the 2070-Seattle.
adamu
Vegas

Near as I can tell, you are sustaining two spells - or have you now dropped the illusion?

In any case, I took off two dice. That still leaves you with four successes, which is enough. See IC post, then let me know what you want to do.
adamu
MK & BR

Even if they make you pay for water - it's in your Lifestyle. Don't sweat it.

Since you guys are both online right now - if you make contact, great chance for some RP. The stage is set - all on you two now - just don't go past 10:00.
adamu
Mister Juan

Ball's in your court with the IC.
BlueRondo
I know the rules state that locating a passive node doesn't require any additional test, but I'm a bit curious how things work in terms of fluff. For example, if my commlink displays a list of all the detected nodes in the area, how would I know which one belongs to Krait? I could understand if his icon is a picture of his face, for example, but do most people (let alone runners) broadcast their mugshots over public airwaves?

Or perhaps the commlink displays a map with the location of every detected node, by which case Carla could simply select the node that matches her target's location. I'm just trying to get a feel for what exactly people see with their commlinks/AR displays.
MK Ultra
I allways asumed it to be a 3d-map (though that dosnīt work with the 5m acuracy of a comlinks faux-gps), as otherwise much of the AR and Battletec funktions described in the corebook wonīt work very well.
adamu
Well, guys, you all know how hopeless I am with computer stuff. The question you ask, BR, about matrix/AR topography is what I consider one of the least-well-explained (and that is saying something) parts of the new rules. If I had a better idea of that, I could make much better common sense rulings about other stuff.

Anyway, like MK points out, the scan is generally good to about 5 meters, so in interiors (like this diner) it can be hard to distinguish - unless of course they not in passive but are sporting a bunch of AROs that pretty much say "Hey, here I am!" in AR.

But if he's in passive, you can only get a rough idea of which is who is where, although a seasoned user (computer test) could probably figure out who was who by a process of elimination.

As for what exactly your scan tells you AR - here is my lame but effective panacea - assume that different commlink models and OSs have different ways of showing that - just like you have differences on your desktop depending on whether you are using Windows or Mac.

So as long as you don't give yourself anything like an additional game effect, you can fluff what you see AR all you like - just describe how the info is conveyed to you however you like.
MK Ultra
Aīight, I made a few guestimations and made up some fluff stuff.

I think this test shoud suffice to know the stuff I told her about herself (instead of myself nyahnyah.gif). I might even smell the desinfectants over the smoke, if it was not just imagined by her.
[ Spoiler ]
Mister Juan
Adamu
Just curious:
the license, what level would it be (I would probably think, same as the ID)
and the bike, what sort is it?
I'm just trying to see how you came up with the 12 000 price tag wink.gif
Vegas
Adamu

As soon as she clears the doors and certainly as she sees Costello and Costigan following close behind she'll be dropping the Trid Phantasm spell all together. Thanks for catching that one, I spaced. sorry :-\

Once she's outside with the panicking and fleeing masses, what options for transportation does she have? With everyone fleeing and cops trying to temper the crowd, is transport readily available? Either taxi's or even access to public transport (trains/monorails)?

What I'd like to do is basically cast a quick version of Makeover for a temporary "fix" to her appearance and Fashion to change her clothes. After those are cast she'll drop Imp Invis and attempt to make a get away via taxi or public transport, whatever is more readily available and will make the quickest "getaway" for her.

[ Spoiler ]

So she should look different, clothes look better than the makeover smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]

I suppose what happens next (and how far I can write this up) depends on what transport is most easily available to her and if you throw anything else my way wink.gif

Let me know how far you want me to write this...I'll leave it open ended for now and can always add to it without assuming she gets away since she wants to cast more spells first anyway. Taking it in 3-5 second intervals still I suppose smile.gif
adamu
MK Ultra

Okay, with that roll, all of your observations are correct - the other people in the diner, how long Carla walked, the gun on her thigh, her makeup, all that is fine,

except -

I need you to back off on the implant assumption. So far you are okay, with just the vague guess that she is not unfamiliar with implants. But without a millimeter wave scanner or astral perception, I don't think you would spot her arm - it is beta grade, and fluff-wise, it is the most natural-looking cyberarm her rich mommy and daddy could buy, plus the fact that she keeps it completely covered, plus the fact that she hasn't really used it much since coming in.
So maybe come up with another reason for your implant comment, but I don't think you've spotted the arm yet.
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan)
Adamu
Just curious:

The license will be R4 - just like the SIN.

As for the bike - you have done the right thing by asking them. As you know, it is not ME coming up with the price tag, it is the guy in the back room of Club Penumbra - and who knows what sort of expenses or markups he is considering.

Remember - book prices seldom stand past chargen...
Mister Juan
QUOTE (adamu)
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Feb 12 2007, 07:26 PM)
Adamu
Just curious:

The license will be R4 - just like the SIN.

As for the bike - you have done the right thing by asking them. As you know, it is not ME coming up with the price tag, it is the guy in the back room of Club Penumbra - and who knows what sort of expenses or markups he is considering.

Remember - book prices seldom stand past chargen...

I know I know wink.gif I was just trying to figure out how much Conall was going to get screwed out of his pocket change.
adamu
Mister Juan

I tend to let players handle negotiations with either dice or pure RP or both. The bump down to 11K is what you have gotten so far with RP. You are free to continue haggling and/or make a roll, if you want (although either could end up backfiring).
Mister Juan
Adamu
Well, beside mentionning he doesn't need the stuff NOW, Conall doesn't have much else to say. He has no real concept about what things are worth since he has never had to look at price tags. And I mean never ever.

And the only negotiation he knows how to do is by bullying people. Somehow, I don't think trying to intimidate two of his own fixer's goons, in a backroom of a runner bar, would be that good of a tactic wink.gif
MK Ultra
Adamu & BlueRondo

Ok, didnīt know that it was custom-ware, so all I had was the RAW threshhold of 3.
adamu
Vegas

Once out in the crowd (and essentially out of the ultra-tight levels of airport security), your biggest problem was that you are sure at least one of the adepts is using astral perception, so your sustaining spells really sticks out. But once you drop the invisibility, and with your appearance changed, they are going to have a tough time finding you - crowds in the astral basically mean packed and mixed up auras.
But search they will, and you can see airport security rallying. Your big problem now (based on what you said you wanted to do) is finding transport - the thing is, there are lots of busses and taxis all around, but they are A) packed in by the crowd and having trouble moving, and B) the taxis are the subject of immense competition with zillions of people all trying to secure one at once.

So I am interested in how you deal with the transport question (while keeping a low profile). Let me know either OOC or IC or both.
Vegas
Adamu

Cool beans, thanks for the info. That'll help with writing the next post.

Basically I see her trying to get on various buses and being denied because they're packed, seeing how they're not moving (taxis included) she'll likely try to put more and more distance between the mob and herself, sticking to groups of people who are moving away (if there are any) or trying to keep a low-profile without out and out fleeing the scene suspiciously. Once she's free of the crowds, or at least to the point where traffic is moving a bit more freely she'll attempt to hail a cab. She might even be desperate enough to try to hitch a ride if someone is foolish enough to stop for her biggrin.gif
DireRadiant
I totally want to see Etain singing out "Taxi!".... got the voice for it?

Sharing a cab isn't that bad... looking for a single run away elf means the searchers might not notice that nice executive couple making out in that cab. I'm sure Etain can talk some poor shmuck into a quick smooch.
Vegas
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
I totally want to see Etain singing out "Taxi!".... got the voice for it?

Sharing a cab isn't that bad... looking for a single run away elf means the searchers might not notice that nice executive couple making out in that cab. I'm sure Etain can talk some poor shmuck into a quick smooch.

I was so wanting to have her stick her dainty fingers in her mouth and pull off one of those very "un-ladylike" whistles to hail the cab actually wink.gif

Heh, the idea in the cab isn't a bad one, only that the cabs aren't moving because of the fun sea of humanity filling the roadways... Or at least that's the visual I have in my head at the moment.

On to other options I suppose.
MK Ultra
1st wave, John

Adamu
The cigarette-filters are of course going into his pocket ash-tray.

BTW, what OOC-header -if any- am I supposed to use now? I guess 1st wave, but what color?

I also wanted to make a Judge Intentions roll (or social skill roll?) to get a better feeling why she reacted the way she did to my cyber-remark (didnīt have time or dice-roller this morning, donīt remember which). So...

[ Spoiler ]

BlueRondo

Will be carefull, not to breach into her personal space so quickly and so fare, that she leans back again. If you like, I can make a social skill-roll (with pool-modifires you deem fit), to make sure he dosnīt startle her too much, but heīs quiet competent with that kind of things.
I asumed, you donīt have skinlink - at least none, that allows for silent comunication.

EDIT: Vegas Just kick them guyīs nuts and run! Allways works in the movies biggrin.gif
BlueRondo
No, no skinlink, but you could send a wireless message to Carla's commlink.

Which leads me to the question: can people manually turn down their signal ratings on commlinks? For example, two nearby people like Krait and Carla could turn their signal down to 1 so that they can communicate wirelessly while minimizing the amount of possible listeners.
Mister Juan
Adamu
Unless the Asian man doesn't accept the deal, there isn't anything else Conall has planned for the night. He's, of course, going to bring up what Chu had told him about "the doctor" before he leaves... but only if neither of the men offer the info.

After leaving Penumbra, he'll simply go back to crash at his crummy motel.
MK Ultra
I definitly hope so! And I see no logical reason, why it shouldnīt work, except that some comīs might not have the feature to do it easily and quickly. Signal 0 should even be enough (3 m range).

Adamu whatīs your call on deliberately lowering a comlinkīs Signal rate?
Konsaki
IIRC, he already has in the Up from the Bottom threadline.
adamu
No worries ---
yes, you can lower it. That is likely not something that most people need to or know how to do, so I will say it takes a Computer test (threshhold 1) to know how - child's play for either of you, but there are folks out there that see no need to take a bit of computer skill....

Just don't fall into the trap of thinking it will let you narrow down the location of other people's comms - that all depends on THEIR setting.

Goodness, I hope I haven't just contradicted my own earlier rulings. Don't think so, but someone yell if they notice.
BlueRondo
Is the current rule that both commlinks have to be within each other's signal range?
adamu
Okay - in case there was any doubt in anyone's mind, Ankle Biter has officially left our ranks. Nothing acrimonious - he just can't commit to the level of posting in our game right now due to personal circumstances.

Sad to see him go. Like Cedric, a cool poster, and both their storylines were integral to the overall plot. Oh well.
adamu
Yes, for hacking or two-way communication to take place, that is the basic rule. Note that in an area like Seattle, a signal rating of 1 or 2 (40 or 100 meters) is usually enough to connect with a repeater, at which point the question becomes moot. But if you are at 0 signal, then for anything interactive the other person will have to be within 3 meters.
adamu
MK Ultra

I am not actually very concerned with what header you use on your OOC posts. It was a fun idea (don't remember whose), but in the end I just scan the user-names on the left side of the screen. Thanks, though.

For the judge intentions, she is pretty good at keeping a poker face (opposed test - I went ahead and rolled for BlueRondo). You do sense, however, that you hit a point of insecurity.
BlueRondo
That's too bad about Ankle Biter.
adamu
Mister Juan

Okay, don't forget to pay the man. After that, what you do is all up to you - IC up to the meet with the others, or OOC me if you need anything.
MK Ultra
Adamu

Hereīs a negotiation roll, in case itīs necessary:

[ Spoiler ]

BTW, Iīm trying to colect all GM-rulings in one document - planing to eventually put it onto the wiki.
So, it would be helpfull to highlight them in some way (i.e. Everyone like you did on some in the past).
BlueRondo
I didn't bother making a counter-roll (since I couldn't beat you anyway), but I appreciate that you made one. Even if Adamu rules that the roll isn't necessary, it's nice to see the roll as a guideline of how persuasive the character is.
adamu
RULING

You basically took the answer right out of my mouth, BR. As I have indicated on the other OOC thread, I think social tests are a finely balanced combination of RP and dice. And especially for PVP, I don't like the dice to be binding unless two players just can't work it out.
That said, I very much appreciate if people take each other's rolls into account to give them some idea of how persuasive/intimidating/charming the other person has been, to help them formulate their own IC response.
Keep in mind also, that many social tests are opposed - so if someone does throw some dice at you, don't go all googly-eyed at how many zillion successes they got without rolling your own dice - you may not win, but you can subtract from their hits, moderating how much of an impact you have to role-play your response to.
adamu
MK Ultra

Thanks for the compilation idea. It will help everyone (and be worth karma if it gets done).

I will TRY (no guarantees I'll remember) to head such posts the way I just did the last one, i.e. RULING.
Vegas
QUOTE (adamu)
MK Ultra

Thanks for the compilation idea. It will help everyone (and be worth karma if it gets done).

I will TRY (no guarantees I'll remember) to head such posts the way I just did the last one, i.e. RULING.

Page has at least been set up and linked to from the front page of the Wiki now.

***HOUSE RULES*** should be attention grabbing enough, I hope biggrin.gif

Everyone can edit it as we go when there are rulings made on a case by case basis... that way it's not all ONE person's responsibility and stuff. biggrin.gif
adamu
adamu stands in awe of everyone's (but his) computer prowess.

So that's one karma for MK for the idea and one karma for Vegas for the tech support, and we'll take it from there...
Vegas
Ok. moved a couple of recent "rulings" to the page already. Sue me I'm bored and avoiding database updating wink.gif
adamu
Sorry to leave you so unstimulated --- your IC post is up! (Smiley emoticon here if I used them.)
Vegas
Hahah. I love it.. totally UNEXPECTED turn of events. Reply forthcoming.
Mister Juan
Adamu
I deducted the 14 000 nuyens from Conall's bankroll, plus and extra 150 for a bike helmet (took the stats and price from the urban explorer jumpsuit helmet) and the motel room.
I was wondering... what sort of "lifestyle" would it be if someone actually lived out of a motel? I know people do it in RL so....

Anyhow... I'm off to post Conall's entrance.
Mister Juan
Adamu
In case it matters, Conall is one again pretty much bringing everything he owns with him, as well as what left on his credstick. Not that it's much....

MK and BR
Apperance wise, Conall is dress with what is looking like a brand new and unworn pair of dark blue jeans, with apparently real leather hiking boots. His jacket is a long dark blue Navy Coat, which looks as if it's made of real wool. He's sitting at the dinner counter, looking straight into his cup of coffee, with a black and red biking helmet next to it. It's easy for anyone to spot that he is not in a good mood wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012