Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
adamu
MK Ultra

Right now, you and the twins (and assorted manifested spirits) are the only people in the room. You are out of combat, obviously, but STILL ON COMBAT TIME since Carla is in a time-critical situation.

So I need everyone to stay on "bullet-time" so that it can be determined how fast people can achieve the stuff they want to achieve, and whether it happens before some other "people" achieve that they want to achieve!

Anyway, you are not in direct combat, so you can have the extra free actions.
BlueRondo
Adamu

Yeah, that's essentially what I was looking for. I'll use a simple action to observe the scene outside in more detail, particularly:

-Of the shedim that Carla can notice, roughly how far away do the nearest ones appear to be from the window?

-How close are the shedim that were chasing Trix? In other words, if Trix is just inside of the building at the end of round 5, are the shedim just on the other side of the door, or are they still several yards away?

-About how fast do they appear to be moving? Walking speed? Jogging speed? Sprinting speed?

-Carla tries to look upwards and to the sides to get a look at the top of her building and the nearby ones. From her perspective, does it look like the buildings are close enough that somebody could walk across the roofs, or are there big gaps between the buildings (or can Carla not tell?)

If that's too much observation, I'll make it two simple actions. Carla will use her free action later in the round to respond to Krait's message simply with "run!"
Mister Juan
Sorry for having fallen out of the loop.
Tonight is the first night since my last post that I'm not hope only to sleep... althought I don't think I can muster up a post with all the IC and OOC I have to catch up with.

But anyways; I've completed most of my shoots (about 4 more days to go) and I should be back around next monday.

Don't wait up on me for anything.
adamu
Mister Juan

No worries. I am glad your business is doing well.

All we need right now from inside people is general intentions, as the main action has moved elsewhere.

If you have a chance, let us know just generally what you want to do. If you can't, I will basically have you follow Krait and Etain's leads.
adamu
BlueRondo

I reckon you can check all that out in one full combat turn. I'll put you down for all those observations as yourTurn 6 action.

Now just waiting on intentions (general or specific) from Vegas. If nothing comes by Saturday (my time), I'll have the twins follow Krait's lead and move forward.
Mister Juan
Well, as a general rule of thumb, Conall will do whatever he sees best to assure Etain's safety, and to some lesser degree Krait's.

He believes firmly he can take down any number of shedim, as long as he has either the room to maneover freely, or any way to "funnel" them to him. As so, he is more likely to wait for the crowd to slightly disperse before taking Etain toward the exit, than to simply join in the mayhem.

Got a quick question (I don't have any of my stuff with me and I'm dead tired): is a Force 8 Powerball powerful enough to blast a hole through the club's wall? wink.gif

Mister Juan
QUOTE (adamu)
Mister Juan

No worries. I am glad your business is doing well.

Such is the nature of my work wink.gif You never know when you'll get contracts...
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan)

He believes firmly he can take down any number of shedim, as long as he has either the room to maneover freely, or any way to "funnel" them to him. As so, he is more likely to wait for the crowd to slightly disperse before taking Etain toward the exit, than to simply join in the mayhem.

ADAMU - Noted. As I said, the tangled crowds are basically out of the doors to the VIP area. But there is still some congestion in the main entrance.

Got a quick question (I don't have any of my stuff with me and I'm dead tired): is a Force 8 Powerball powerful enough to blast a hole through the club's wall? wink.gif

ADAMU - it will depend on your successes and the wall's resistance test (and how tough the wall is). In this case, IF the wall is average for this sort of building, you would have a fairly good chance of making a 1 meter hole (enough to duck-and-step through one at a time).

see in-line
Mister Juan
Well, if it looks like there are WAY too many shedims still in the club, Conall will take Etain and Krait back into any room, and try to blow a hole through one of the exterior wall to take them out of the building.
adamu
As I said, the VIP area is, in fact, empty except for your group. So if "too many shedim" is your condition, then I will not have you blow a hole in the wall. You are still free to do so anyway, if you let me know in the next 24 or so.

For now, I am going to wait a day for Vegas.

Otherwise, Carla is spending all of Turn 6 observing, and Krait is spending all of it communicating. Unless one of the twins jumps in before tomorrow, I will have them just take a breather for three seconds while they wait for Krait - might not be efficient in game terms, but it seems pretty natural in RP terms.
Vegas
Didn't really have any plans for CT 6 since they, at least temporarily, are out of danger.

Just regrouping, making sure everyone else was safe. And of course trying not to freak the hell out biggrin.gif
adamu
Okay, cool then.

The twins get their three-second time to catch their breath and get their heads together - you guys can include that whenever you IC.

In the meantime - Krait sends all of his messages.

Free Action - Text to Carla: Two @ One: Situation Outside? Your Position? Run or loot?
Free Action - Text to Team: Two @ Team: 1+ shedim each door! Search artisans 4 info?
Free Action* - Voice: SirRAMb0 @ Violet, Kayla, Ernst, Tiger & Stud: "You ok? Need help? Position?"

Krait also notices near the end of the Turn that the chain link gate that the southern crowd pushed down, which you can see the bottom of through the doorway, is shaking for some reason.

Carla looks around and sees things -

-Of the shedim that Carla can notice, roughly how far away do the nearest ones appear to be from the window? 

Since they are hot on Trixie's heels, they are now entering the door she went in as you watch, which puts them about ten meters from you laterally (and three down).  You are somehow sure there are no more shedim (outside).

-How close are the shedim that were chasing Trix? In other words, if Trix is just inside of the building at the end of round 5, are the shedim just on the other side of the door, or are they still several yards away?

Yes, just on the other side of the door - and that is at the end of Turn 5.  For Turn 6 they keep moving, so the shedim are out of your sight by the end of Turn 6. (Hopefully Trixie kept moving too!)

-About how fast do they appear to be moving? Walking speed? Jogging speed? Sprinting speed?

The shedim were sprinting really fast.  Don't think Dawn of the Dead, think Return of the Living Dead or 28 Days Later.

-Carla tries to look upwards and to the sides to get a look at the top of her building and the nearby ones. From her perspective, does it look like the buildings are close enough that somebody could walk across the roofs, or are there big gaps between the buildings (or can Carla not tell?)

This is not really a heavily urbanized area - like most west coast cities, pre-Crash (when Redmond stopped developing) Seattle was very spread out without tall buildings, except right downtown. This hotel is the tallest building - no roof-to-roof access for anyone of "normal" abilities.

At the very end of Turn 6 inside the club - the chainlink gate suddenly flies into the VIP area, trailing a spray of blood behind it, and clatters in the middle of the dance floor.

Ready for Turn 7.
adamu
Okay, just added a bunch of stuff to the above post. Don't miss it if you've already read that post while I was working.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (adamu)
At the very end of Turn 6 inside the club - the chainlink gate suddenly flies into the VIP area, trailing a spray of blood behind it, and clatters in the middle of the dance floor.

I have a bad feeling about this!

Don´t have to be a Jedi to say this, do I?

Since the Twins did nothing to 'get me moving', I planned to post that I´d like to use my simple action to search the artisan´s corpse infront of me (behind the bar). Particularly looking for his Com, any Weapons or Credsticks in that order.
If it´s too late for that, so be it.

Perception: 5 hits passive or 9 hits actively searching.

I´m aware, that one simple action is not enough to search for these Items AND pick them up. If 'passive search' is not possible while I´m picking up any Firearm (or the Com if none can be found, Credsticks failing that or any melee weapons if I find none of the other), then I´ll simple not pick up anything, yet, just search the body more carefully.

[ Spoiler ]

7th Round Rolls and declaration will come tomorrow or so.
BlueRondo
Oops, sorry. I meant to provide a perception roll when I was doing the observations, but I guess you took care of it adamu.

EDIT: I hadn't realized how close the shedim were to Carla. If I may, I'd like to change Carla's response to Krait's message to, "Across from VIP entry - need help!"

Round 7 Actions

2, 5, 3, 4, 2, 5, 1, 6 = 3 hits + 8 initiative = 11

Carla moves across the room and opens the door for Trix and her friend. As soon as she opens the door, she moves back to the window (she'll jump out next round.)
Vegas
Hey guys.. when it rains it totally pours.

If life-changing stuff wasn't keeping me away from DSF enough lately, my now basically dead computer definitely will. I'm hoping to be up and running sometime next week, and if not I can try to pop on from work but I'm making no promises.

This is just a friendly heads up with time stolen on a borrowed computer.

Sorry guys, I'm trying to get back, I really am. Just when I think I've got it all worked out, something else tries to stop me. frown.gif
adamu
Okay, Vegas is officially on hiatus status - I will run Etain until she lets us know she is back.

I would REALLY like to have Mister Juan active for Turn 7 and onward, so I am going to give him a couple days. If we don't get some Turn 7 declarations from him by Monday, I will push things forward.
adamu
MK Ultra

You find a mean-looking serrated knife, a commlink, and a credstick.

You get a very quick reply from Violet - "Fine. Moving Kayla clear. Call me later."

You get the modified reply from Carla - "Across from VIP entry - need help!"

Then comes the part where the chain-link gate flies into the room spattering blood everywhere.

Carla

No problem, you have got the room door open and are prepped to go out the window. Your Turn 7 is basically done.
You can declare for Turn 8 if you want.

Mister Juan

If you get a chance to post, I really only need your declaration for the First IP of Turn 7. After that, everything will probably change anyway...
BlueRondo
Do I need a test to make sure I don't break an ankle or anything?
adamu
Yes indeed.

First, you are of course trying to make a controlled jump downward. But even if you start by hanging down from the window sill, you are still looking at at least two meters from your feet to the ground.

To make it simply as a jump, you need an Agility + Gymnastics (1) test.

If you make that success, you are home free.

If you don't get one hit, you will essentially be falling two meters.

That is 2P damage, resisted with Body + Half Impact + Gymnastics.
BlueRondo
Jump test: Agi (3) + Gymnastics (-1) = 2, 2 = 0 hits
Damage Resistance: Body (3) + Impact (4) + Gymnastics (-1) =1: 5, 6, 4, 5, 2, 1 = 3 hits.

No damage.
adamu
Cool - so ungraceful but unharmed, with panicked SMers fleeing to and fro. It took a complex action to jump out the window, but you still have movement available. I don't know which way you plan on going, but if it is after the whores/shedim, the door they went in is still ajar (swinging shut slowly on one of those "make-the-door-not-slam" thingies), so you can move through it without an Open Door simple action.
BlueRondo
Sorry for the delayed response: I haven't been able to think of a plan that won't get me screwed. I'll have my actions posted by later today.
adamu
QUOTE (BlueRondo)
Sorry for the delayed response: I haven't been able to think of a plan that won't get me screwed.

"Trust your feelings, Luke."

(I'm actually only half joking...)
MK Ultra
I´ll snatch the Credstick and Com. I guess it´s no problem to grab both with one hand - simple action each, or can I even grab both and stuff them away with one complex action? I´d use a Free action, to relay Carla´s message to the twins, if she didn´t send it to the whole team in the first place.

The free action left will be kept for running, in case I need to move fast, when the new scene in the club evolves. If a fight breaks out again, I´d not have an extra free action. If I still have one, because Carla messaged the whole team, I´d use thet one to run or intercept.
If nothing comes through the door, I´ll just move over to the next dead artist, to scavange, unless the Twins open some rout to exit, in which case I´d follow them, of course.

So, did I grab the com last round? That would leave me with 1 simple action left, which I´d use to stuff the com and stick into a pocked.

Rolls for Round 7:
Initiative: 10
Surprise: 2 hits
Defense: 0 and 0 hits
Soak (Impact): 7 and 4 hits
Willpower: 0 hits Critical Glitch and 0 hit no Glitch
Will+Char: 3 and 4 hits
Perception: 5 hits, looking for other dead artists/their weapons, coms & cred and for whatever might enter through the door.
Interception Melee Attack, if it happens: 2 hits, 3P base, Reach used for defense.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
MK Ultra

All noted. Provided you don't end up wanting to change your action (depending on how initiative goes and what happens first), you can grab and pocket both items, and still have your free action for running.

And yes, Carla messaged the whole team, I believe.

adamu
Okay, I went ahead and rolled initiatives. The order inside the club for Turn 7 is:

Bad guys 13
Conall 12
Krait 10
Etain 9
F4 spirits 8
F3 spirits 6

Since the bad guys go first anyway, see IC post.

I will still need actions for everyone.

And a Willpower test for Conall (+1 die for your loyalty so far to the "no retreat" tenet of the Wolf totem).
BlueRondo
Yes, all of Carla's messages to teammates have gone to the whole team, even if they were addressed to a single individual (i.e.: One @ Two, etc.)

Carla will run back into the building after the whores/zombies (what a nice pleasant crowd.)
adamu
Okay then, BR, that puts you in pursuit of the shedim in pursuit of the whores. You see the shedim head up a stairwell on the other side of the lobby just as you enter, and by the end of Turn 7 you reach the base of the stairwell, where you can hear them running above you.

That concludes Turn 7 for Carla. 'Fraid your gonna have to wait a bit now while the others try to survive Turn 7.
Mister Juan
Conall

Willpower Test: 2,3,1,5,2,1
Hits: 1

If Conall can, he'll meet Ernst charge's head on.

Free Action: GET ME SISTER OUT OF HERE! (obviously to Krait)
Complexe Action: Death Touch Force 8
Rolls: 3,2,5,5,1,2,2,3,6,6,6,6
Hits: 6
DV 14P

Drain 2P
No Drain

Touch Attack: 3,6,3,4,3,5,1,1,6,2
Hits: 3

adamu
Combat Turn 7 - Ongoing - Inside the club

Conall resists the wave of fear that washes over him.

He steps between the charging troll and Etain and attacks.

The troll dodges around him and continues to charge Etain.

Krait picks up stuff as detailed in previous post MK - let me know if you want to change this in view of the dire circumstances - but I am continuing with resolution, since whatever you do, I doubt it will be an attempt to somehow stop the charging troll...But please do confirm for me if you stick with picking things up or do something else.

Etain drops Armor Spell on Krait and casts Armor F5 on herself.
She gains four points of armor in addition to her armor jacket, and takes one stun in drain.

The troll attacks her.

She forfeits her Turn 8 action in order to use full defense.

The troll nonetheless pounds her for 12S damage, but she resists half, so she takes 6S damage (which, with her drain damage, I believe takes her down to 9S total - or one box away from unconsciousness). She flies back about three meters and flat on her back.

Now it is Conall's IP2 (and IP3).

Need Conall's next two IPs of actions.
Need to know if Krait changes his action.
Need to know if Etain uses any Edge (as surrogate, I save it strictly for tests that are "go unconscious or don't go unconscious" - but Vegas if you get online and want to use any, let me know).
MK Ultra
Crouched over the corpse, I don´t think Krait will see Etain falling, before he picks up the items, so it will be grab stuff, then use free action to run to Etain.

Unless the trog-zombie is going to intercept me, or kicks her another 10 meters through the room, I should be at her side at the end of the turn.

While I´m running, it would be interesting to know, if I can see any firearms among the bodies on the dancefloor (Perception 5 hits) - or recognize one of the artists, which I know carried a gun when they entered the club. If that ´s the case, I might divert my running-path toward that corps - depends on how big the gun is and if I actually see it or just remember that this person had one.

[ Spoiler ]

Have to eat lunchnow, will put up 7th round stuff tomorrow, I guess.
adamu
MK Ultra

You spot a mangled artiste/shedim that is the one you photographically remember has having had the gun.

Do you run to it or Etain?

In any case, that was Turn 7 - and you are way out of actions.

Will be looking for your Turn 8 actions as soon as we get Conall's IP2 and IP3.
MK Ultra
Ah, yes, I meant Round 8 nyahnyah.gif

So I do not actually see the gun at the moment, right? In that case, I´ll go to Etain. If I actually see it, I´d go to the dead artist instead.

How far are these two apart?
adamu
Right - you only recognize the guy (what's left of him after getting half eaten and then exploded), you don't actually see the gun.

Etain is near the bar. The guy is over on the other side of the room - about 20 meters apart.

Mister Juan
I can't remember... is Ernst a troll or an ork?
The main reason I am asking this is because I'm wondering about two things:
-Is he way too massive for Conall to try to knockdown?
-Is he so massive Conall could "grapple" himself unto him?

This will probably influence his action.
adamu
Ernst is a troll.

Nothing in the rules prevents you from trying to knock him down, but the higher his Body, the harder it is...

Also nothing to stop you from grappling him, but again it has a lot to do with relative Body and Strength ratings.

If you are talking about something that's not in the rules, like jumping on his back and holding on, just state your action, and we'll find a way to work it out.

Mister Juan
QUOTE (adamu)
If you are talking about something that's not in the rules, like jumping on his back and holding on, just state your action, and we'll find a way to work it out.

That was exactly what my second question was about wink.gif

If he had been an ork, Conall would have tried to knock him down.
Since he's now pretty big, he's to use that againgst him.

Last question before I make my call: can spells, like a tiny powerball, be called to hit a precise spot?
adamu
See Area Spells p. 173.

The base radius is 1 meter per Force.

So you could cast around his head at Force 1 or 2. You'd get to use all your dice, and drain would be low, but your successes are limited to Force.

You can also cast at whatever force you want, and then drop one die per meter you contract the radius.

So you could cast Force 5 at his head, then drop three dice from your roll and it would be only a two-meter radius. Still hitting at Force 5.
Mister Juan
Conall, using his free action to let out his fierest yell of furry is going to run full speed toward Ernst, jump and try to literally attach himself to him. That should pretty much take a whole IP

He'll use his second out to Death Touch his head.
TRY TO DODGE THAT YOU SOB!

I'd roll, but I need to crash.... I'll be off work tomorrow around 6pm
adamu
Mister Juan

Okay - here is how jumping onto a big troll's back and holding on will work rules-wise.

I am basically taking the subduing procedure from p. 152 and replacing some words -
To jump on the back of a big troll and hold on, resolve combat normally. if the attacker successfully hits, compare his Strength + Net Hits to the defender's Reaction. If the attacker's total exceeds the defender's Reaction, the attack successfully clings to the big trolls back/shoulders/neck. This causes no damage.

To dislodge the pesky elf, the big troll must take a Complex Action and succeed in a Strength + Unarmed Combat test with a threshhold equal to the net hits scored on the grappling test. Otherwise the annoying elf can stay on the big troll's back.

You still have to spend one Complex Action per Combat Turn to hang on, but that doesn't require a test. As long as you are on his back, you get +2 for superior position on melee attacks. NEITHER character may use full defense during this situation.
Vegas
Hey guys,

I've got like 2 seconds to pop on while at work...

Adamu

Basically I (for now) only want to use edge if it would A) save Etain's life (like hand of god, or further reducing physical damage, whatever) or would greatly increase chances for Conall's survival (i.e botching a heal roll if necessary or whatnot). And I'd only really want to do that to the point of always reserving that third edge point for the HOG/Dead man's trigger type of option.

All

My computer got shipped to Tennessee 2 days ago and I have NO idea of if/when I'll be getting it back. I will continue to have limited access for a while still and I don't really like being on DSF from work. frown.gif

Just a heads up to the situation. thanks!
Mister Juan
IP2
Free Action: yell, to Krait "GET ME SISTER OUT OF HERE!"
Complex Action: Jumping on the big troll's back.
Rolls: 1,1,6,5,2,3,4,2
2 Hits

IP3 (If Conall is on Ernst's back)
Complex Action: Death Touch Force 8
Rolls:4,5,5,1,1,1,6,1,1,4,3,2
3 hits, DV 11P

Drain 2P
Rolls:
3 hits
No Drain

Touch Attack
Rolls:3,4,4,4,5,1,5,4,3,6
3 hits

IP3 (If Conall hasn't been able to grapple Ernst)
Complex Action: Death Touch Force 8
Rolls:5,6,3,3,6,2,1,4,3,1,3,
3 hits, DV 11P

Drain 2P
Rolls:1,1,5,6,1,1,1,1,6
3 hits, glitched
Drain?

Touch Attack
Rolls:6,4,6,5,3,2,6,3,4,5
5 hits

adamu
Combat Turn 7 final resolution

Okay, Conall tries to jump on the troll's back, but it brushes him off and sends him sprawling.
But Conall is up like a cat and Death Touches the troll anyway. It doesn't go down, but Conall obviously hurt it badly.

Because of the glitch, Conall takes one box of Physical Drain.

At the end of Combat Turn 7, the troll and the three runners are the only ones (that you know of) in the VIP area.

The music is still deafening (although with his enhancements Krait certainly heard Conall yell to help Etain).
The troll is facing Conall and they can be considered "in melee". Krait (standing) and Etain (prone) are together behind the troll.

Carla has just reached the bottom of the stairs at a run, and she hears the three shedim leave the stairwell and enter the second floor, also all running.

Everyone is all caught up with each other.

Need Combat Turn 8 "everything".
BlueRondo
Initiative = 5, 6, 1, 5, 6, 5, 3, 2 = 5 hits + 8 = 13

Carla runs up the stairs!
adamu
BlueRondo

Running requires only a free action.

So you can either make a running test to go faster, which would leave you with only a simple action once you get wherever you might be going,
or you can just use your normal running speed, in which case you will still have 2 simple or 1 complex to use once you see whatever you see on the second floor.
Mister Juan
Combat Turn 8

Initiative: 4,3,2,6,1,2,4,5,3 = 2 hits + 9 = 11
3 IPs

Melee Dodge:
5,1,3,5,6,5,6,6,2,3,2,1 = 6 hits
3,1,3,3,5,4,4,4,3,3,5,5 = 3 hits
1,3,4,5,5,6,4,3,3,6,2,2 = 4 hits
5,4,4,3,1,1,2,2,1,5,3,6 = 3 hits
1,1,5,2,3,4,2,6,5,5,1,5 = 5 hits
6,4,6,3,1,2,5,3,3,6,5,5 = 6 hits

So, if I understand it correctly, in the VIP room, there are currently 3 other shedims, that aren't in combat range, and don't seem to be "coming after us", and zombie Ernst.
Right?

MK Ultra
I thought that by 'the three runners' adamu meant us.
adamu
MK has it right - there is only Conall, Krait, Etain, and Ernst.

BlueRondo
So you can either make a running test to go faster, which would leave you with only a simple action once you get wherever you might be going,
or you can just use your normal running speed, in which case you will still have 2 simple or 1 complex to use once you see whatever you see on the second floor.

Do I get to see what's at the top of the stairs before declaring an action?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012