Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
adamu
Vegas and Mister Juan

Okay, you guys have a week to kill (roughly - it doesn't have to be exact). Etain doesn't wake up for 12 hours.

If you still want to do a couple of 'time passes' posts, that is cool. You will both be in your rooms. No visitors from outside the estate. No comm ability to outside the estate. You will both have all your needs attended to by servants.

You won't see your parents, and any messages requesting them will be dutifully passed along by servants but there will be no response.

I won't go into the security on you in detail, except what you can see -
Etain, door still locked, and if you look at the astral you can see that your room is once again warded, though with a different type of ward than before.

Conall, you've got four sec men in the anteroom of your apartments, your windows have had steel bars bolted crosswise over the outside - you can still see, but you'd have to break them to get out. And there are guards outside.
Worst, there are four watcher spirits keeping an eye on you 24/7. They stay in the four corners of any room you enter (as best they can).

Konsaki
Damn, very nice internal RP with John, MK. You, sir, have my respect.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

So, no crunchy barbecue! Iīll use the time, to prepair some operation from my own indirect-action proposal - hopefully making it look like Iīm playing along long enough, to not have Lanier come down on my or send a team himself before the deadline.

Iīm planing to do an IC, talking to my personal staff, but I might drop that.
Itīs not too important, just telling them, that this operation might directly threaten my & their wellbeeing in the future and thuss giving them the chace to quit, befre they are in too deep. Actually addressing my disobediance against Lanier, but without any details at all, in a way that any evesdropping would make NeoNET think Iīm talking about the implementation of Lanierīs risky plan. I think none of them will actually take their hat, according to their loyalty rating and history. I also asume I donīt have the ressources to secure them finantially (everything beeing geared towards the job at the moment), which I will tell them, and canīt 'kick them out' temporarrily to protect them from any possible backlash.

We can go directly to Lanierīs reaction to my insubordinace, if you like.

EDIT: Thanks Konseki, happy to provide an interesting read. To be honest, cooking this up might have cost me a night of sound sleep, as I sleaped vary crappy the night I came up with the basic outline and decision (might have been unrelated, tough).
Vegas
Etain - Second Wave

Sorry about the insanely long post, but trying to sum up a week's worth of actions is hard for me to do without writing lots wink.gif

So, yeah. Moving on.
Konsaki
I had a very good read there, Vegas. Wasnt expecting any of that.
Vegas
Thanks Konsaki, I was trying to keep people on their toes wink.gif
adamu
I still am constantly amazed at the array of outstanding posters I was lucky enough to recruit into this game. I have played and lurked enough on the DS boards to know (no slights to anyone else intended) that you guys are performing a cut above the rest, all twelve of you (yes, even if CR is no longer with us, his work was excellent and he is missed).
You all make GMing a real delight. Thank you.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)

Iīm planing to do an IC, talking to my personal staff, but I might drop that.
Itīs not too important, just telling them, that this operation might directly threaten my & their wellbeeing in the future and thuss giving them the chace to quit, befre they are in too deep. Actually addressing my disobediance against Lanier, but without any details at all, in a way that any evesdropping would make NeoNET think Iīm talking about the implementation of Lanierīs risky plan. I think none of them will actually take their hat, according to their loyalty rating and history. I also asume I donīt have the ressources to secure them finantially (everything beeing geared towards the job at the moment), which I will tell them, and canīt 'kick them out' temporarrily to protect them from any possible backlash.

We can go directly to Lanierīs reaction to my insubordinace, if you like.

Okay, I understand that
A) You are not going to hire a team for the terror job.
B) You are going to act as though you are, so that Lanier doesn't go for an alternate job. I'll assume John is easily capable of that.

Whether you do the IC post with your staff is entirely up to you.

But before I can do Lanier's reaction, I do need some more details of the intervening 24 hours.
1) You say you are setting some other of your plans in motion - which one(s), and how?
2) What are you doing to make Lanier think you are sticking with the bombing plan?
3) Where exactly are you at the time that the football game ends and Dean and everyone else goes home without being blown up?

Long or short, if you could touch on those things in an IC post, we can move forward. Thanks.
MK Ultra
Cool, just cought up on all the IC threads. Liked them very much!
With work picking up (slowly, but I got much to read) and participating in DRīs game, I donīt know when Iīll get around implementing my plans for the wiki (Vegasī suggestion is a good one, thanks for that), since I need to figure my way around the technical side of the wiki again, first (which is no big deal, but will take me one evening or so, which I currently prefer to spend on IC).

1st wave, John

You got that right, Adamu. Iīm planing to put up an IC tonight.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Cool, just cought up on all the IC threads. Liked them very much!
With work picking up (slowly, but I got much to read) and participating in DRīs game, I donīt know when Iīll get around implementing my plans for the wiki (Vegasī suggestion is a good one, thanks for that), since I need to figure my way around the technical side of the wiki again, first (which is no big deal, but will take me one evening or so, which I currently prefer to spend on IC).

1st wave, John

You got that right, Adamu. Iīm planing to put up an IC tonight.

I can always kick you out of my forum game if that would help.
MK Ultra
Donīt bother, Iīm very happy to be on board - if you had a very strong desire to hurry the compilation of a Hitting Bottom IC Archive though, you can do so, of course. You are the GM over there biggrin.gif

Oh and just in case you are about to ask the same question, Adamu, the above answer aplys as well - though Iīm not quiet sure if Iīd still bother to do the Archive if you kicked me out nyahnyah.gif
Konsaki
I'm pretty sure playing the game and having fun is a higher priority than an archive. biggrin.gif
MK Ultra
Dos anyone know which previous edition book held the rules for Fuel-Air-Explosives? Just curious smile.gif
adamu
I am pretty sure that is Cannon Companion. I'll check when I get home, and if I'm wrong will send a correction.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)

Oh and just in case you are about to ask the same question, Adamu, the above answer aplys as well - though Iīm not quiet sure if Iīd still bother to do the Archive if you kicked me out nyahnyah.gif

Oh, well, in that case, I guess I won't kick you out yet.

No, seriously, I appreciate the work EVERYONE has done on the Wiki, and very much look forward to the thread separation/compilation. But I know we all understand it's a 'free time with nothing else to do' project, so no time pressure whatsoever.
MK Ultra
1st wave, John

posted the first part of the IC - doing it all in one chunk is taking to long frown.gif still I wouldnīt want to not post at all for any longer.
Just in case you wonder, I made up Cissé, Fillon & Plattfisch as I wrote this piece.
Next post will elaborate on the real job I will give to the team and probably the third point about where John is at the moment of the supposed hit.

Need to cook now wink.gif
adamu
Speaking of cooking - Happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans among us, and to the rest, well, Happy whatever you have instead of Thanksgiving!
adamu
Vegas & MJ

Okay, I am hoping that the Up from the Bottom thread will take me considerably less time for the next little while, and that I have opened the door for participation by all six of the waiting players.
Late right now, but I want you to know that my next big 'sit-down-and-type' project is a major scene for your storyline.
MK Ultra
Thanks, though I donīt know if 'Buß- & Bettag' ('penalty and prayer-day' is not the correct translation I think) is ought to be a happy hollyday question.gif

Anyway, Iīm done with cooking and am craving to go on posting, but I have pick-up in 20, to join my buddy in securing a case of coke (wow, that actually sounds like a criminal act biggrin.gif) and then help him conquer europe (playing 'Medival' strategy simulation wink.gif).

So, happy hollyday everyone, CU.
adamu
MK - have fun, and thanks for staying in touch. No hurry - like I just posted, next major project is in Ireland, although I am eager to get back to the East Coast as well!
adamu
BlueRondo

Your first research project - Los Locos.

From what you can gather from locals, and also the knowledge you have paid for with karma -
* They are essentially a homegrown ethnic gang. They limit their turf to the Hispanic neighborhood, although you hear they definitely have rivalries with some other gangs, and make raids into their turf from time to time.
* In theory, they seek to 'protect' the community. For this, they extract protection money, which is one of many factors keeping the neighborhood poor. In return, it is true that there are no drug dealers, pimps, or thieves from other criminal organizations in the neighborhood - but that just leaves Los Locos with a monopoly on these activities.
* Nonetheless, they tend to be very disorganized, with little in the way of a leadership hierarchy.
* One very prominent member of their gang is a young Frenchman named George St. Pierre. No one seems to know what a Frenchman is doing in a Latino gang.
* The gangers all claim to be good Catholics. Father Ortiz and Padre Cardoza deplore them, but as good Christians must minister to them. They both speak occasionally of asking the gangers for some favor for the community - they seem to have some influence, although obviously not enough to make them give up their criminal ways.
* Slowly, as you gain more snippets of info, near the end of the month you start to get the idea that the one that you have heard the gangers refer to as El Jefe may be Miguel. You are starting to to hear hints that Miguel may be the reason why both you and your grandmother are never ever molested by the gangers.
Konsaki
Holy shit... the peices are starting to fall into place and I think I can see a glimmer of the web you weave, Adamu...
Insidious... You have gained 2 Street Cred from me.
Vegas
LOL Konsaki!

I had some ideas of what he was doing with a lot of the rest of you guys... but I have NO $*(@!)@#)(%*)(@$ clue what's coming around the corner for me and MJ nyahnyah.gif

God damn it's been a while since I've had this much fun in a game. Hee! biggrin.gif
adamu
BlueRondo

Second area of research - the shedim.

Given a month, you can read just about everything authoritative on the Matrix, and cull through some of the best unauthoritative info as well.
But there just isn't a lot out there, despite frantic magical research - the shedim are to the magical community of the 2060s what AIDS was to the medical community of the 1980s - a horrible but mysterious new threat that seemingly burst onto the scene from nowhere.
Thus, research is not only incomplete, but often contradictory.
They first appeared in late 2061, around the time Ghostwalker burst through the Watergate Rift.
At first, they went around inhabiting bodies right and left, going for the easy prey of graves and mortuaries. But as you and everyone else knows, within a few years society had adopted widespread use of cremation, and morgues and cemeteries started being warded. As this trend progressed, the shedim became more opportunistic (and faster reacting), focusing on emergency rooms, battlefields, and accident sites.
No one knows what metaplane they come from, and no magician that anyone knows of on the matrix has ever successfully summoned or bound one.
They range in behavior and apparent intelligence greatly. The ones everyone heard about for years are basically just all about getting a body and then using it to kill as many people as possible, often by eating them. But reports started to grow of smarter ones that could regenerate the wounds that had killed their hosts and pass for human, just as you mother told you.
Some speculate that the former radical leader of the IUM, Ibn Eisa, was/is a shedim. Some also think that these smart shedim, rather than just kill people right and left themselves, want to manipulate larger events of mayhem and disaster in order to kill as much of metahumanity as possible.
Unfortunately, you turn up very little in the way of defenses usable by a mundane. You know that wards are the most common defense. You know that the shedim possess a very wide range of magical powers.
You also have a very definite sense that there may be more known about them by individual mystics and researchers that is simply not available online.
And I will also send you a PM right now....
adamu
Vegas

If you have Shadows of Europe, check out the illustration on p. 184.
Vegas
Nice description Adam! I read the post before looking at the book... very well done! smile.gif

Now I think Etain is going to freak out and die. wink.gif
Mister Juan
Damn Adam! Thats.... insane!
adamu
Vegas and MJ

Don't worry - you guys will have quite a lot to do here - you won't just be 'along for the ride'. And feel free to break into all these descriptions with your own reactions or words, whatever you want.

I'm gonna do a post for BlueRondo right now, so if you guys do choose to chime in, the next 20 minutes is the time to do so without cross-posting with my descriptions.
Konsaki
Methinks they are going to try and summon Patrick's ghost or something like that... Though, to admit, I really dont know what's going on here unless they are starting that Elven death game thing... Damn, cant remember what its called...

Anyways, with Etain... thats an interesting person, though I have not a clue what he is all about...
Mister Juan
I'd love to add something but I need to crash... since I'm getting up in 6 hours for an 11 hour shift....
Konsaki
Ouch, good luck with that, MJ.
BlueRondo
Adamu has crazy surprises for all of us, it seems. Which is good!
Konsaki
I think the reason why he was 'busy' was because he was thinkin up all this crazy shit... He is really working together seemingly unrelated storylines quite nicely...
adamu
Adam was busy because it was mid-term results season and his parents visited him and he got sick. The thinking up stuff goes on 24/7.
adamu
BlueRondo

Obviously Cardoza generally translates for you in the clinic when he is there. but for the next scene, time and language may be an issue.
Please make a single Spanish test for the scene, on which I'll base how much you manage to understand all that is said.
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

Alrighty, Spanish Roll (Int 4 + Spanish 1)

1 2 6 4 5 = 2 hits
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

Adam, am I already done with the girl's stitches?
adamu
Okay, you're done!
adamu
Vegas

As ever, post as much as you like. I am not trying to put a bunch of work on you. You can give a verbatim account if it pleases you - but you can just as easily just summarize what you say. Whatever is fun for you.
adamu
BlueRondo

Okay, whatever effect you want to achieve with the gate in your next IC is fine - if you want it shut, okay. If you want to go out and shut it behind you, okay. Or get it left open, okay.
People will still fight and struggle both ways, but whatever final result Carla wants, you can have it go that way for your IC post. Just say something about it in the post.
adamu
BlueRondo

Haven't glanced at your sheet for a bit, but I really don't recall a demolitions skill. How cool of a bomb/incendiary you can put together will depend on how many successes you can get on a Chemistry (or some other appropriate knowledge skill) test.
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

Demolitions Test (Logic 5 + Defaulting -1 = 4 dice)
3 1 6 2 = 1 success

Chemistry Knowledge Test (Logic 5 + Chem 5 = 10 dice)
5 3 1 2 4 3 1 4 2 3 = 1 success (wow.)

I'm going to spend edge and re-roll the failures on that.
2 1 5 6 1 5 5 3 4 = +4 successes

Also, I suppose I need to do some roll if I want to knock out Cordoza with the shock hand.
Konsaki
Damn, these three are having their stories progress very rapidly... I'm lovin every minute of it. cool.gif
adamu
BlueRondo

Okay, you need initiative and melee with the Padre - attack, defense, and, just in case, soak.

Doesn't really matter now, but if it did, we have already established that it's no problem for the shock hand to work through the glove.

As for the chemistry test - that's a critical success - if you can get back to the cabinet for a few seconds, you can do pretty much whatever kinda MacGyver pyrokill you can dream up.
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

Okay, here are a bunch of rounds worth of rolls, just in case it goes that far. Each round, if Carla loses the initiative, she goes on full defense. She makes an attack when she wins the initiative.

Oh yeah, Carla's also going to call for help.

Round 1:
Initiative 8 (Rea 4 + Int 4) = 5 2 3 1 1 1 5 6 = 3 hits + 8 = 11
Attack Roll 2 (Agi 3 + Unarmed Combat -1) = 2 3 = 0 hits
Full Dodge Roll 5 (Rea 4 + 1 Dodge + 1 Dodge) = 2 4 3 2 2 3 = 0 hits
Soak Roll (Bod 3 + 0 Armor) = 5 4 2 = 1 hit

Round 2:
Initiative 8 (Rea 4 + Int 4) = 5 1 6 5 1 1 2 4 = 3 hits + 8 = 11
Attack Roll 2 (Agi 3 + Unarmed Combat -1) = 2 6 = 1 hits
Full Dodge Roll 5 (Rea 4 + 1 Dodge + 1 Dodge) = 2 6 5 2 2 2 = 2 hits
Soak Roll (Bod 3 + 0 Armor) = 6 3 4 = 1 hit

Round 3:
Initiative 8 (Rea 4 + Int 4) = 4 3 4 6 6 6 2 5 = 4 hits + 8 = 12
Attack Roll 2 (Agi 3 + Unarmed Combat -1) = 5 2 = 1 hits
Full Dodge Roll 5 (Rea 4 + 1 Dodge + 1 Dodge) = 6 5 4 5 1 4 = 3 hits
Soak Roll (Bod 3 + 0 Armor) = 1 1 2 = 0 hit
adamu
BlueRondo

Wow, I am glad you included three turns' worth, cuz that's how long it took. Fortunately, the Padre knows about as much about unarmed combat as Carla does, so with that shock hand, you ultimately prvailed.
NOTE- next time you use an either/or condition based on initiative, include what you'll do in the case of a tie - the first two rounds were ties. I had you use the full D on the first, but go ahead and attack on the second.

So, first round no one hurts anyone. Then he punches you in the face but you resist it down to 1S damage. Right after that you shock him, but he stays up.

In the third round he is really disoriented from the shock, so you easily put him down.

That takes nine seconds of game time. While you are fighting, the zombies dine on one of the two people outside the gate. The patients don't want to let the other one in, but Sister Esmeralda makes a break for it to try to open it and rescue the poor woman from being dinner. She's running for the gate - with some other women in hot pursuit (to help her or stop her?) at the moment you put down the Padre.

You may IC to that point, and then let me know you actions from that point, either IC or OOC or both.
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

I don't know if this is necessary, but here's a leadership roll to see if Carla convinces the women to leave the gate.

Leadership (Cha 3 + Leadership 2 +/- modifiers?) = 3 1 2 2 3 = 0 hits

If she can't convince them to move, she's going to pull her gun out and try to intimidate them away.

Initimidation 2 (Cha 3 + Intimidation -1 + Multiple subjects -2 + Weapon Drawn +2) = 2 4 = 0 hits

EDIT: On a side note, regarding the bomb, is it reasonable to expect there to be an oxygen tank in the supplies?
MK Ultra
1st wave, John

Deception and own plans are set up. Iīll post where he is during the football match next. If I donīt come around to do it in time and you want to progress, feel free to do so. Here is a short OOC summery:
John will be in his office, purposefully not following the match, but screening his intel-providerīs databases for NeoNETīs & Lanierīs activeties.
adamu
MK Ultra

Dude, that looks like a very sweet plan.

I will go ahead and wait for you to set up your position in your office IC at the time the game ends. Then I will post some stuff.
adamu
BlueRondo

Okay, you got a two-die overall bonus on the Lead test, which I rolled and you got two successes, so the women mostly get outta the way. Mostly...

Anyway - oxygen bottle, that's not even a stretch for a clinic. Whatever you need - you already got the critical success.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012