Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
Konsaki
Damn, composure check to not glitch in pants... biggrin.gif
Vegas
Hahahahahahahahaha Nice one Konsaki! biggrin.gif

Too tipsy to post tonight.. will post tomorrow unless MJ beats me to it. She'll go willingly with the guards, as long as they don't separate the twins.
adamu
QUOTE (Vegas)
She'll go willingly with the guards, as long as they don't separate the twins.

That's all I need in order to post forward.
MK Ultra
Wow. Just checked and saw, that the rules don´t cover any way to detect and identify bioware - or at least, I didn´t find it (should have saved those bucks for another license nyahnyah.gif).
Well, it´s possible to spot bioware with 4+ Assensing-Hits, but that onlygives the general location. Guess it´s save to assume that Wolvereen dosn´t screen visitors with mages schooled in actually identifying bio-implants (4 hits assensing + some biotech check?), to pick out the odd restricted or forbidden bioware out there.

Still good to have the license for the dreadfull day I get busted and throughly searched ... or not so good, depends on wether they spot the fake or not biggrin.gif

Adamu
Should BlueRondo and I wait for something or can we procede in (or do you want to post us entering the building, so you can describe the scenery)? I´m just waiting on a GO sign ... Well, maybe we should wait at least untill the twins are inside, so we are save that they don´t get into trouble, which might well effect our situation (or we´d have a chance to effect thairs).

Don´t want to be pushy at all, just wantto make sure you are not waiting for us to procede, while we are waiting for you to do so (or give us a go ahead).
BlueRondo
MK, Adamu

Same here; I figured Carla and Krait are just waiting in line to get in, so I'm just waiting for some indication of what happens when they finally get to the door.
adamu
Yeah, okay, we WERE running you guys totally independently, and depending on how things go we may go back to that.
But since you both took the same entrance, and since the twins are apparently stalled, and since there is no way to have you other guys go in without knowing what happened to the twins, we do need to wait for Vegas and MJ to respond to the last IC post.
I am SURE we will not have to wait long. I actually think maybe Vegas was abducted by Southeast Asian human traffickers - it is the only explanation for her taking THIS long to reply!
MK Ultra
Seams so nyahnyah.gif

No problem (except the abduction).
Vegas
Sorry guys... I was half waiting on MJ to pipe in and half of my delay was because RL reared it's busy head my direction. Which was almost as bad/busy as being abducted by Southeast Asian human traffickers, but not quite.

I will attempt at putting up a post in the most haste as possible. Life isn't really slowing down at all, but knowing that the rest of you are all waiting on me... ugh. pressure! nyahnyah.gif
Vegas
Probably a pointless effort since she's sustaining 2 spells and taking the penalty for it, but...

Charisma (5) + Con (3) + Sustained Spells (-4) = 4 dice
[5] [5] 1 3 Hits:2
adamu
Okay, both teams are again free to act independently.
MK Ultra
A roll for taking a good look at the different entrances to the service-areas (and the entrances leading directly into the VIP-area). Especially looking for any trafic of service-personal through them, guards and the way they open the door (since I didn´t pick up any wifi-signals to open them, they are either short range only or the doors are opend some other way, like key-pads or whatever).
9 hits on perception (minus anything you want to subtract for distraction and surrounding conditions).

[ Spoiler ]

Also as notet, I´m listening to the chatter on the service-cannel of the caterers, to pick up anything (names, current activeties, etc.), that might help me persuate a guard that we belong to the service-staff.
adamu
Okay, passing through and across the main floor, you make your way to the hallway between the loading docks and the main floor. There are a few guests here, but no events - it is pretty busy with service people moving stuff from the docks to the area marked Back of House. See that area just north of the two Board Rooms? The doors on the south side of that area are open - there needs to be access on both ends of that hallway of private rooms. The doors out of the east of that area (into Back of House) are Service only. Staff are punching a keypad for access.

I will leave it up to you whether you go into the hallway of private rooms, or go back the way you came to meet Carla.

There is a guard at the service entrance.

The other ways upstars that you have SEEN so far are the heavily guarded VIP escalator in the vestibule, another escalator in the vestibule to the west of the portico entrance, and a service stairway (with one guard and no traffic you have seen) at the west end of the rear hallway. All these should be visible on your map, but if you don't see what I am referring to, let me know.
And I know you will ask, so I will save you the trouble - with your photographic memory and all that other stuff you have, you CAN see what number is being entered on the keypad.
You also notice that all the service people have physical ID cards hanging on lanyards around their necks, which of course also have RFIDs generating ID AROs.

If you end up having to make a Con test, you can get a +3 dice mod for "evidence" based on the chatter you are overhearing. If it comes to that IC, you can make up whatever you want that to be.
Vegas
Adamu

Are we waiting on MJ to post, or do you need more from me?
adamu
Vegas

Sorry - I thought YOU were waiting on MJ. If you want to act, go for it, but I need to know more specifically what you want to do, where you want to go. OOC or IC - either is fine.
adamu
Okay - looked again, I guess you were pretty clear on WHERE - but I need a WHAT - just trying to go on up? Talk to someone? There are a lot of spectators crowded around the foot of the escalator, a lot of media, and just as many guards, not to mention the VIPs and their entourages.
BlueRondo
Adamu

Could you describe the bathroom once Carla gets inside (if she gets there uninterrupted) and mention if there are any free stalls?
adamu
Well, BR - looks like you got your description of the bathroom.

The inimitable Raccoondog returns (as always, with full GM knowledge and approval).
MK Ultra
Adamu, I´m buying hits for modifying the business-card if that´s ok wink.gif
Just for practice´s sake
-I´m going to hack in quick (Exploit+Hacking(Firewall + 6 for Admin if needed), 1 IP). Should be done in 4 IPs, probably without raising an alart (cards System+Firewall, TH my Stealth). Even if an Alert would normaly be raised, I doubt that this kind of device actually activates any countermeasures (it´s simply not worth activating any security-measures, maybe except for trying to shut down the connection, but alerting any external security would flood them with requests, because this kind of 'viral marketing' is probably abundant in this environment). If so, I simply try the next card.
-After that I do an Edit action (legit, since I´m Admin) to eraze the advertizing-message the card is currently holding.

In case you rule that what I´m looking for isn´t available, I´m just going to spend the 1 nuyen.gif to actually buy some e-paper somewhere.
adamu
MK Ultra

Umm - NO - you do not have to spend the Y1.

Your whole business card scam goes off smoothly.
Mister Juan
By and by; I'd just like to warn everyone that I will be moving on the 1st of June. So my online presence might be a little flaky during that time.
adamu
Vegas

Time for your opposed Con test. Situational mods balance out to zero. You can add half your Acting Skill (round down).
Vegas
Adamu

When you say situational mods balance to zero are you talking about the -4 for sustained spells or am I still taking that painful hit biggrin.gif

Charisma (5) + Con (3) + Acting 1/2 (1) = 9 dice
[5] [6] [6] 1 4 [6] 3 [5] 4 Hits:5

I guess if the sustained mod is sitll in efffect take of the last 2 successes/4 dice. Heh. Didn't want to hold us up waiting for an answer biggrin.gif
adamu
Vegas

Sorry about the confusion - by situational mods I meant all those things that the GM has to rule on - the magical stuff is cut and dried and known to the player, so I leave that to you.

So you have 3 successes vs. however many he got.

See upcoming IC.
Vegas
Adamu

Figured as much, but hey a girl can try wink.gif Hence why I rolled it without and let you cancel out the last ones instead of having to roll again for those last 4 if they were in play smile.gif

*looks forward to the IC*
Vegas
Ok.. I will endeavor to make a post first thing tomorrow.. I'm brain dead and about to pass out. Sorry guys. Spent WAY too much time in front of the computer today frown.gif
adamu
Don't apologize - I glanced at Recent Changes on the Wiki - shit girl, take a break - you are doing all those players a HUGE favor.
MK Ultra
Adamu

Allright, I put up a long IC containing the start of my conversation with the guard and my next possible steps played out in thought only. If I have the chance, I´ll start this thing in a moment, when the guard is distracted from something on the security-channel, however I´m not going to wait for this the whole night,and it´s more important, that there are not a load of caterers at the door at the same time as we are.
Here is a Con roll (8 hits biggrin.gif). I left situational modifires aside (except for the bonus you gave me for the service-channel information), for you to add or subtract. Let me know, if you want a seperate roll for Leadership/Persuasion, Negotiation/Bargaining or Intimidation, but I guess the con-roll was good enough.

[ Spoiler ]
Vegas
Adamu

Wasn't sure if a con roll or a negotiations roll would be more applicable here. So you get both nyahnyah.gif heh.

Charisma (5) + Con (3) + Acting 1/2 (1) + Sustained Spells (-4) = 5 dice
[5] 1 3 [6] [5] Hits:3

Charisma (5) + Negotiation (3) + Acting 1/2 (1) + Sustained Spells (-4) + Moon Maiden (2) = 7 dice
2 2 [5] [5] 4 [6] [6] Hits:4

adamu
MK

MK - with those successes and your carefully crafted story (you pretty much covered every contingency that I could think of), you breeze by him on the first try - no need for the back-up stories.

See IC post.

Just so we are clear - my IC post has you moving through the doors into the area on the first floor map marked "Back of House," and around toward the service stairway on the east side of the building
adamu
Vegas

It's Con. You got an extra hit from bonuses I awarded. With four successes, plus a really good pitch (inviting him along appeals to him personally AND reduces risk on his side - nice idea), he readily acquiesces.

See IC post.

On the map, my post puts you in the Second Floor Prefunction area just to the south of the Grand Ballroom.

Mister Juan

Feel free to give an IC or OOC update on what you are doing down on the first floor. Note that this is a pretty big place, and if you want to keep in range of the mindlink, you will probably have to stay roughly under where Etain is on the second floor.
Vegas
QUOTE (adamu)
Vegas

It's Con. You got an extra hit from bonuses I awarded. With four successes, plus a really good pitch (inviting him along appeals to him personally AND reduces risk on his side - nice idea), he readily acquiesces.

See IC post.

On the map, my post puts you in the Second Floor Prefunction area just to the south of the Grand Ballroom.

Woo hoo! there's hope for Etain (and my pride) yet! smile.gif

*rubs her hands together*

Now let's see if I can manage to pull off what I've got up my sleeve wink.gif
adamu
What sleeve?
Vegas
Heheh the invisible one on the sleeveless dress of course nyahnyah.gif

and Damn, just Damn you Adamu *cackles*
adamu
Well, what did you think these people do for fun?

So yeah, you need a willpower test to not just partake right now. Modifier only -3 since the current situation may make you think it is really important not to get high. But there are so many chances to rationalize, and you are so stressed right now...
Vegas
Heh.

Willpower (4) + Logic (4) + Sustaining Modifiers (-3) = 5 dice
[5] 4 4 2 2 Hits:1

Someone's getting high.... damnit nyahnyah.gif
adamu
Vegas

Sorry to be unclear.

Per the PM I sent you on the mechanics of your addiction - your test is Willpower (not Willpower + Logic). And it always has a base -4 mod for moderate addiction.
That's what I lowered to -3 for the situation. Then take away your sustaining mods (if you keep the spells going) and you are at -7 from your Willpower 4.

I am afraid that leaves you without the one success you need in order to resist this sudden temptation.

Not sure if

Someone's getting high.... damnit

means you were planning on taking the drug in any case or not. But to be fair to you, I just want to keep these addiction tests as consistent as possible, so I am being a stickler for doing it exactly right.
Vegas
Adamu

Sorry.. totally slipped my mind the PM.. I'll review it to be sure I've got it crystal clear from here on out smile.gif

But yes, I was planning on doing it regardless.

Do I have a little leeway with the Studio Exec?
adamu
I don't know what you mean by leeway.

Oh, you probably mean IC. Sorry. Yes, a little. His obvious demeanor is as follows -

He is not sure if you are telling the truth or not, but whether you are the imposter or are getting in to confront an imposter, it will be amusing for him either way, so he is just letting you take him along for the ride.
The grope on the escalator (which stops once on the second floor, if for no other reason than that now that you are at the same level he would have to conspicuously hunch down a little to reach your ass) was a clear message that whatever is going on, he senses clearly that you need his support, and he knows that gives him a certain amount of power over you. And he is the kind of guy that doesn't let that slide.

Just so you know this about him, as long as you don't have him do anything that puts him at any serious risk, he will go along with what you do.

After you take the Bliss, don't forget the mods per the book.

And Conall will definitely feel the drug in some way....and probably your pangs of/surrender to addiction prior to taking the drug.
Vegas
Would it be extremely out of line for him to do a line of Nova?
(so I don't have to edit this later)?

And I've already got it in there for Conall (I'll let MJ run with it however he wants both in reaction to the mindlink AND what's happening) and I'll be sure to tack the extra mods on. biggrin.gif
adamu
QUOTE (Vegas)
Would it be extremely out of line for him to do a line of Nova?

No pun intended?

No problem on that. Insofar as you don't use him for anything that moves you directly toward your game goals, and stick with the parameters above, you can fluff him however you like (no pun intended).

Vegas
Hahah, no. No original pun intended. It's late and my communication skills/writing skills are quickly going downhill.

And GOOD one! biggrin.gif Fluff. Ha!

Post going up in a second. Then bed.
adamu
MK & BR

Just trying to stay one step ahead of your needs, in order to help things go as quickly as possible.

I don't recall Krait having done any searches regarding seating arrangements - so you don't have them at this time. No idea if they would be easy or hard to get, since you have not done any investigating along those lines.

However, Krait does know from ocmments he has heard over the service channel that seating is pre-assigned, and that there are staff members assigned to show guests to their seats. It is pretty safe to assume that they are using AR assistance to recognize everyone and keep track of things.
BlueRondo
Adamu

This might seem a bit out of the blue, but how good is Esmeralda's English (and her accent)?
MK Ultra
Adamu
Well, I actually assumed that the service channel I had taped was not just voice, but included all the AR stuff to coordiante the catering staff. Thus I didn´t worry about seating arrangement at all. As that´s not the case, I guess we´ll have to ask around or I need to put up another matrix stunt. let me think about that for a moment and check the book, while I get on Carla´s nerves.
Do I know, what signal range the VIP Ticks have?
adamu
Vegas

Okay - if you want to try spotting Zephyr, make a perception test. Don't forget your sustaining mods.

For the guard - that will be negotiation - you get +3 situational, but -4 sustaining.

Of course I will raising both threshholds by one for the Bliss.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Jun 3 2007, 10:44 AM)
Adamu
Well, I actually assumed that the service channel I had taped was not just voice, but included all the AR stuff to coordiante the catering staff. Thus I didn´t worry about seating arrangement at all. As that´s not the case, I guess we´ll have to ask around or I need to put up another matrix stunt. let me think about that for a moment and check the book, while I get on Carla´s nerves.
Do I know, what signal range the VIP Ticks have?

MK

The seating MIGHT be on the air, just a different frequency. Or it MIGHT be on chips held by individual staff. Or it MIGHT be on AROs set-up discreetly in RFIDs which only show an inconspicuous cue, but anyone can easily open virtually.

The fact is simply that you have not looked for the seating arrangement until now, so you don't know if it is one of those options or some other.

All tickets simply have the signal rating of the comm they are on, unless they are worn on an RFID, in which case they are probably 1, but could maybe be a 2. There is no set "ticket signal rating."
Vegas
To spot Zephyr (yeah right)
Intuition (4) + Perception (2) + Vision Enhancement (2) + Sustaining Mods (-4) = 4 dice
2 [5] 1 [5] Hits:2

Negotiation w/ Buckley
Charisma (5) + Negotiation (3) + Moon Maiden (2) + Sustaining Mods (-4) + Situational Bonuses (3) = 9 dice
[5] [5] 1 3 [6] [5] 3 [6] [6] Hits:6
MK Ultra
Vegas looks like poor Buckley is wax in your hot hands love.gif

Adamu
If a roll is needed to find Zaphyr´s com (if it is there using her name or the comcode we know), I´ll buy successes (2 hits per Combat Turn, max. 18 hits). That should suffice.
I made one chack (4 hits), if she runs hidden, which would make little sense to me in this event (also makes little sense that all the tests to detect signals are extended, unless you know what you are looking for but it runs hidden), but in that case, she won´t be broadcasting her position, as I remember to understand our discussion a long while back (Location only for active signals or using Tracking or Radio Signal Scanner).

For the Datasearch+Scan (or Brows, your call, but it makes no difference in stats), to check for any AR seating or position information in the area, I´d buy hits again (that´s again 2 hits per interval -probably Combatturns- with 22 hits max.).

Failing these attampts, I´d search the service- & security-channel traffic I have recorded since we arrived for any hints (Again DS+Brows, interval 1 IP).

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
BlueRondo
Remembered in the shower this morning that I had forgotten to answer your question - Esmeralda speaks very good English, and reads it better (all the stuff in her apartment was in English). She is clearly not a native speaker however, and her expressions are usually a bit textbook-sounding (she learned at the orphanage, and has little chance to practice in the neighborhood).
adamu
Vegas

No sign of Zephyr.

I am going to leave it to your good judgement not to do anything TOO wacky - in other words, not to do anything that would cost the poor guy his job - but otherwise, just IC Buckley as though you have him wrapped around your finger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012