Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (adamu @ Oct 22 2008, 04:25 PM) *
Continuing with resolution of Combat Turn 1 -

Jack has gotten up, out from under Paddy.
Carla reaches forward and touches Jack's face. With the mother of all Soak rolls, Jack fully resists all shock damage, which is the one and only way to escape all secondary shock effects.
Jack makes for Carla, but suffers intercept attack from Paddy.
Paddy punches Jack for a final value of 5S damage. Not enough for knock down, but damage done on an Intercept stops the movement of the Intercepted.
Jack redirects his rock 'em sock 'em attack at Paddy, who evades the punch.

Too bad I get good rolls when I don't really want them, eh? wobble.gif The 5S from Paddy should help diminish Jack's combat abilities substantially. smile.gif

I posted my next intitiative roll on the 21st and further combat actions yesterday. I'll post more on both threads when I get home from work.

C'mon team, kick Jack's ass! silly.gif
BlueRondo
Adamu, Carla uses a simple action to Observe in Detail, looking for any objects left in the room that might be of help to her (such as something that might explode or catch fire, or simply something she can use to whack the corpse's head off.)

[ Spoiler ]
Jack Robustus
We can rest assured that adamu will be removing the last die of most of my previous rolls regarding this combat. This could actually prove helpful.

Now Jack is only 5 boxes away from going down on his stun track. Keep wailing on him. biggrin.gif

More rolls, in case this thing goes much longer.

[ Spoiler ]

I'll save IC for tomorrow, as I'm about to fall asleep in my chair. frown.gif
MK Ultra
Ini 11 as rolled above.

Free Action: Called Shot for Throat/Nack, +4 DV
Complex Action: Another try to decapitate the damn shedim. No charge or opponent prone bonus included this time. 5 hits for a total of 17P, AP -4.

[ Spoiler ]

Mister Juan
I'll post IC once the whole thing is over.

Initiative: 8

Free Action: Held to Intercept
Complexe Action: Unarmed Attack on Jack

3x Dodge: 3 hits, 2 hits, 2 hits

3x Soak: 2 hits, 6 hits, 3 hits

Unarmed Attack:4 hits, DV 6S
MK Ultra
If I land a good hit and it looks like I dealt some damage to this damn thing, I´d like to spend an Edge Point, to get another IP in the same Combat Round and attack again, if that´s possible smile.gif
adamu
Yes MK - that is perfectly legal.

But before you can attack (you go first among the PCs), the creature directs its gaze at you. You will need four hits on a Charisma + Willpower test to avoid redirecting your whip attack to Carla.

That's the first thing that happens in the new Turn, so we wait. Would roll it myself to save time, but reckon you may have to decide about Edge use anyway....
MK Ultra
I´ve got 5 hits without spending Edge, luckily, as it would have cost my last point smile.gif

For the Edge-sponsored attack, I´ll call for neck/throat +4 DV again and scored 6 hits for a total of 18P, AP -4.

Ini for next round is a craptastic 8 biggrin.gif

[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: By first in new Turn, you meant first in new Ini-Pass, right? That confused me a bit.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Oct 25 2008, 06:58 AM) *
EDIT: By first in new Turn, you meant first in new Ini-Pass, right? That confused me a bit.

Both.

IT goes first in new turn and initiative pass.
YOU go first among PCs.
adamu
Krait cuts off the thing's head, which rolls away from the bound body.

Jack's compulsion ends. So does the unnatural dread.

With Jack's action coming before Paddy's, I don't think there is much more need to be on initiative. Everyone free to post.

BR - the basement is pretty bare - you don't see much in the way of chemicals or large, sharp objects, or whatever.
Jack Robustus
Jack will take two steps back from Paddy and lift his hands. He will then walk to the basement door and open it. Then he will lie down and fall asleep. Unless otherwise needed he will sleep until such time as his physical wounds would be healed. While walking around the basement he'll jibber jabber a bit. All in the IC.

Let me know if I need to roll again for healing his physical wounds.
adamu
The room will soon return to its previous August temperature.

Jack, you don't really need to reroll your heal, except that the old roll is so far back, I have no idea what it was. So you should reroll it or remind me what it was.
I don't need to remind you that you have to start your resting all over again now that you have been in a fight.

But that is for the Physical damage.
You now have Stun, which, for normal healing, means you have to work that off first (in one-hour intervals).

Good news is, in SR4 First Aid can help stun, so the doc may be of some assistance. If so inclined, she is also eligible to help with your general physical healing by using Medicine skill, per the rules.
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Sep 19 2008, 12:12 PM) *
Jack sets out to start the healing process.

[ Spoiler ]

@adamu here is the healing roll I made for Jack once we settled in at the Los Locos' Basement. Those are enough hits to completely heal Jack's physical condition monitor.

@BlueRondo any help your character wishes to provide to speed up Jack's healing process would be much appreciated.

Mister Juan
@Adamu
Conall will do a quick "flash look" into the astral, just to see if anything is hanging around. I say "flash look" because Conall knows that by opening his senses in such a way, he could get swarmed by shedims. So yea.... he's taking a REALLY quick look.
Beside that, he'll just sorta chuckle to himself in disbelief at what John just did.
BlueRondo
Okay, here are medicine/first aid rolls for Carla:

[ Spoiler ]

I'll have an IC post up tonight.
adamu
Okay - for healing, the two First Aid does nothing, as the first two hits simply meet the base threshhold.
The good news is that though Jack now has to
(A) heal all his stun
and
(B) heal all his physical,
he now has six bonus dice from the medicine to apply as he will.

MisterJuan - the room is filled with oily black amoeboid astral entities, just as you have seen before. They are basically kind of hard to see, but there are so many of them you easily spot them in your super-quick peek. And as you pull out of Astral Perception, they were already moving to swarm you.

MK Ultra
Made a Judge intentions and Gut check just for fun, to get Carla back on track. 6 & 5 hits respectively. Just so you get an impression, how that simple sentence woulöd be spoken, don´t feel restricted by it in any way!

[ Spoiler ]
MK Ultra
@ adamu
Forgot to mention it - since the fight was over in the first IP with the attack my decision to buy another attack or not depended on, I guess I didn´t spend that Edge Point for extra IP? If you rule that I did, that´s fine with me, just want to know which way it is.

@ Jack
As you may have read, I picked up the stuff from the street - I didn´t read the unedited version of your IC at all, but thanks for the hint, better one PM too many, then one missed IC Edit smile.gif
BlueRondo
Thanks for the rolls, MK.
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (adamu @ Oct 27 2008, 12:08 AM) *
Okay - for healing, the two First Aid does nothing, as the first two hits simply meet the base threshhold.
The good news is that though Jack now has to
(A) heal all his stun
and
(B) heal all his physical,
he now has six bonus dice from the medicine to apply as he will.

I'm sure I don't understand what you are trying to tell me.

BTR with no aid Jack would heal his stun by about 17:30 Friday. Then he would heal his Physical by about 17:30 Saturday.

Am I able to use the six bonus dice to do away with the stun damage without resting an hour per box, since that would be one more die than Jack took in the fight with Paddy?

If I can do that, then I will so Jack can be healed by about 12:30 Saturday.

Let me know and I'll post appropriately. Although, I must guess that we aren't out of the woods yet. ohplease.gif
adamu
MK - no - you didn't use the extra action, so you don't have to pay the Edge.

Everyone - in the ensuing conversation, please role-play as you see fit, but as just one point to factor in, note that Krait got five hits on a leadership test to calm the situation.

Jack - sorry to be unclear.

As you know, you have to heal your five boxes of stun, which you'll need to roll for at one-hour intervals per the rules.

You then also have to heal your physical, which you have already rolled for, for a 24-hour interval.

Now, thanks to Carla's Medicine roll, you have an extra six dice to add to those rolls.
You can add some or all to the Stun healing, to speed it up.
And/or some or all to the physical roll you already made.

Now, the only way to shorten the 24-hour interval is to end up with TWICE the hits you need to fully heal, so you might want to throw those six dice into the stun healing, since it might be a lot more feasible to cut one of those hours in two.
But your call how you use the extra six dice.
Jack Robustus
adamu I will add the six dice to my stun roll.

[ Spoiler ]

Each hit heals 1 box of stun damage so Jack's stun should be slept off in one hour. Then resting for the day to heal his physical damage. So barring any weirdness he should be completely healed by Saturday 13:30ish.

Let me know if I've got that right. biggrin.gif
adamu
Looks great.
Mister Juan
In case this turns out to be relevant, what Conall will need:
-4x boxes of garbage bags
-3x rolls of electrical tape
-1x hedge clipper (those small garden scissors)
-Either a hand saw, surgical saw (if Carla has one) or a meat cleaver
-1x pack of smokes, something scented
-1x apron
-1x pair of surgical gloves
-1x filter mask (the kind you wear to keep dust out, not an actual filter one)
-2x bottles of bleach
-1x large bottle of water
-1x roll of paper towel

That should do it.
Jack Robustus
BTW, my little snoring posts on the IC are just to let everyone know I'm keeping up on the posts. JR will be talkative after he sleeps off his stun, though he won't be doing anything except sitting on his cot, eating and/or using the restroom. smile.gif
MK Ultra
I´m not quiet sure, if I understood what Conell said in that last IC, so I made a roll to see if John would. 6 hits with no mods, though I guess there will be some for the Lingo used, that would still leave 4 or 3 hits.

[ Spoiler ]

One way or the other, I guess I´ll put the paper-overall back on, before doing some more matrix work, and just ask Conell & Carla to leave the hands intact as long as possible (i.e. not hack them into tiny pieces and burn them last, unless I get to take palm-/finger-prints earlyer).
BlueRondo
MK, what was the other item Jack wanted besides the tracking program?
MK Ultra
Actually, I have not posted the list yet, sorry frown.gif! I will do so (with pricing and Availability) once I get home tonight.

But the 2 first points would be 1 or more RFID-Tag-Erazers and a Tracking-Program. Since we don´t know how big the budget will be, there will be some other suggestions, but these two are the most important from John´s POV.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Nov 2 2008, 06:36 PM) *
I´m not quiet sure, if I understood what Conell said in that last IC, so I made a roll to see if John would. 6 hits with no mods, though I guess there will be some for the Lingo used, that would still leave 4 or 3 hits.

MK - since Krait is a native English speaker - do you mean you personally couldn't follow all the slang in Paddy's speech? Is there a particular part you couldn't get?

Krait can certainly understand everything.

Aside from the body-chopping gear requests, all he basically said was that he was going to get rid of the body and he wants you to track down Kenichi as soon as possible.

No offense if I misinterpreted your post and didn't need me to restate that for you.

Everyone let me know if there is anything else you need from me.

And sweet post Jack - with all the other characters' personalities and history well established over two years of play, you are doing an excellent job of bringing yourself up to speed with all that.
MK Ultra
So, as prommissed, here comes the list. Of course, John has taged it with comments and explanations, but I don´t have time for anything more elaborate at the moment. IC will hopefully follow on We.

The items start with the most important. Anything further down the line should only be considdered when the other stuff is aquired or not available and there are enough funds. I am of course aware, that the equipment may only be borrowed. All ratings and specific models are just suggestions/examples. So without any further ado

Tag Eraser 6F ¥150 SR4:320
Track 3 6R ¥1.500 SR4:227
Non-Linear Junction Detector 6 12R ¥600 Ars:59
Defuse 3 6R ¥1.500 SR4:227
Defiance Protector 4 ¥300 Ars:20 Includes laser-sight and gecko-grip
(otherwise Yamaha Pulsar --- ¥150 SR4:306)
Taser-Darts
Purge --- ¥600 Unwired:111
Maglock Passkey 6 18F ¥1.200 SR4:326
Magemask 2R ¥200 Ars:66
9. Vehicle (any enclosed care that can transport 4-5 people will do), preferably:
Hyundai Shin-Hyung Sedan ¥17.000 Ars:109
10. Firearms (not cyberlimbs nyahnyah.gif), preferably:
Morissey Élan 7R ¥450 Ars:20 Cannot be detected by MAD sensors
Beretta Model 70 5R ¥650 Ars:24 Includes laser-sight and sound supressor
Gel-, Pepper-Punch-Capsule- and Reg-Ammo
White Noise Generator 6 7 ¥300 SR4:320
Shock Glove 3R ¥200
Camera Neutralizer 4 12 ¥1.000 Ars:59

EDIT: @ Adamu
That was what I understood, I just wasn´t sure if I was understanding correctly, thank you smile.gif
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Nov 3 2008, 01:36 PM) *
10. Firearms (not cyberlimbs nyahnyah.gif), preferably:

rotfl.gif Glad somebody caught the joke cyber.gif
MK Ultra
Still chuckling, when I think of it biggrin.gif
Mister Juan
@BR
Once Carla comes back, she's going to have to wait some time. What Conall asked for (and so, the list I posted OOC) is what he needs to "chop up" the body and clean up the place. She might want to do the cyber salvage right there instead of "unpacking" the body back at the clinic and repacking it. But thats up to her wink.gif

@Adamu
I still haven't gotten you (and Carla) a list of what Conall would like to get gear wise. Main reason is, he hasn't had time to sit down and think about it. I'll try to have one up as soon as he has time IC wise.
Jack Robustus
@adamu I don't have my rules handy but can magical healing be used to speed up Jack's healing process?

I'd like to have a useful character sooner than later, ya know? twirl.gif
MK Ultra
IIRC, magical healing can still be aplied after first aid, but not the other way round. So theoretically, Etain might be abled to heal you.
BlueRondo
Sorry I've been gone for a couple of days - been pretty busy with school. I'll have a post up tomorrow for sure.
MK Ultra
Made a perception (7 hits), judge intentions (4 hits) and Leadership/Crisis Management (6 hits) roll for my IC. The Leadership is not meant to boss anyone around, but rather to wrest Etain´s attention from the bloody corpse and keep her calm.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
The one who should be apologizing for absence is me. More on that later.

MK is absolutely right on the healing.

The implants make it a bit harder.

Etain heals Jack for three points of Physical damage.

That doesn't change the base 24 hours to heal Physical wounds, I fear, but maybe it gets the number to be healed low enough that you can rejigger your bonus dice from the medicine to try to double the necessary hits and cut the 24 to 12? I'll leave that to y'all players.
adamu
Evil Announcement

As you all know, I try to make it a rule to post at least once a day, six days a week.
And you all know that I kept that up for two years!
But you also all know that I have not been keeping that up in the past several months.

The fact is that responsibilities at work, home and church are expanding exponentially.

Just, crazy expanding.

Wild I can't even sleep anymore expanding.

As such, I am officially no longer even claiming to be a six-day-a-week GM.
I am committed to providing at least two thorough bumps a week.
Naturally I will TRY for more!
But for now, I am just letting people know that my current target is two a week.

I just hope I can keep that up.
And maybe, just maybe, I will manage to replace the quantity with a return to quality.
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (adamu @ Nov 6 2008, 03:15 PM) *
The one who should be apologizing for absence is me. More on that later.

MK is absolutely right on the healing.

The implants make it a bit harder. [I love.gif cyber.gif ]

Etain heals Jack for three points of Physical damage.

That doesn't change the base 24 hours to heal Physical wounds, I fear, but maybe it gets the number to be healed low enough that you can rejigger your bonus dice from the medicine to try to double the necessary hits and cut the 24 to 12? I'll leave that to y'all players.

That's not enough to cut the time. Looks like Jack will just sit on his cot and try to get to know all the keeblers. love.gif

Well adamu gaming isn't everything. Sounds like you'll be doing good things with your time, except for the work.
BlueRondo
Hope you're not too stressed out, Adamu.

Once Carla comes back, she's going to have to wait some time. What Conall asked for (and so, the list I posted OOC) is what he needs to "chop up" the body and clean up the place. She might want to do the cyber salvage right there instead of "unpacking" the body back at the clinic and repacking it. But thats up to her

Oh, I thought that was Conall's requested equipment (I was thinking, "Wow, that should be easy to get a hold of!") Adamu, do you mind if we allow this to be clear to Carla so she can bring back Paddy's stuff first (and let him get to work) and then go back out to get the more serious equipment? It'll make things a bit more convenient and it doesn't seem like a major plot point anyway.

Just a couple more questions:

-4x boxes of garbage bags
-3x rolls of electrical tape
-1x hedge clipper (those small garden scissors)
-Either a hand saw, surgical saw (if Carla has one) or a meat cleaver
-1x pack of smokes, something scented
-1x apron
-1x pair of surgical gloves
-1x filter mask (the kind you wear to keep dust out, not an actual filter one)
-2x bottles of bleach
-1x large bottle of water
-1x roll of paper towel

First, would Carla be able to find scissors and/or any sort of saw/axe around the clinic (I imagine there might be a toolbox lying around or an axe for firewood)? Second, can Carla spot any patients in the clinic with packs of cigarettes on them? (perception roll: 5,1,2,1,5,3,5,5,3,2 = 3 hits). And finally, for menial items that might not be at the clinic (like electrical tape or extra boxes of garbage bags), can I assume there's a shop within walking distance of the church that Carla could buy those at?
Jack Robustus
It just occured to me that Jack bought cigarettes prior to guarding the bike. I know he didn't leave those for the squatters so he'll just give them to Paddy. That's one less thing to buy or search for.

@adamu any idea which days you'll be gamemastering?

All, I figure we should just IC crazy for role playing purposes whenever we can. That should help keep things interesting.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Nov 7 2008, 08:37 PM) *
It just occured to me that Jack bought cigarettes prior to guarding the bike. I know he didn't leave those for the squatters so he'll just give them to Paddy. That's one less thing to buy or search for.

All, I figure we should just IC crazy for role playing purposes whenever we can. That should help keep things interesting.

You cannot even imagined how thrilled I am that Jack has reacted this way! Now this is going to be one hell of a fun scene!
Its late and I need all my head to write up something, so I'll get right on it tomorrow morning wink.gif

@MK
If you want to have John intervene at any moment, don't be shy to. I mean, this isn't just a scene between Conall and Jack, after all.
Jack Robustus
Jack is stupid and ugly but he does have his own code of morals learned over 5 years of travelling the globe with multiracial corporate protection teams. This should be quite the roleplaying clash. smile.gif And hey, with the proper tools and his latent tenacity, he can get the job done.
MK Ultra
Sweet posts everyone biggrin.gif
Mister Juan
I can so see an awesome dynamic bloom between Conall and Jack; where both are probably going to end up disliking each other a great deal, but when the shit hits the fan, they'll always want to out do each other wink.gif I cannot wait for the next intense combat scene nyahnyah.gif
Jack Robustus
They're both warriors, just different kinds of warriors. This should serve the team well. And yeah, Jack is competitive in his own right.

My own character improvement goals are going to focus on making Jack less magic susceptible. Of course having edge before an encounter involving magic will automatically make him less susceptible.
MK Ultra
I´d like to analyze (Computer+Analyze, buying 3 hits, p. 217) Naguel´s second 6/6 com (the wireless one) to learn alert status, presence of a databomb mining the access to the comlink-node and node´s activety level (no, minimum, medium or high level of information going in&out will do).
If there is no alert or databomb, I´ll use the exploited admin backdoor I prepared during the night, again spending one edge, to make it harder for the node (firewall+analyze (TH = my stealth (3), p. 221)) to notice me, just like the previous 6/6 com.
Once inside, my first action will be to analyze the node (Computer+Analyze, p. 217, buying 3 hits as usual), to check alert status again, as well as looking for other users and subscribed devices.
adamu
BlueRondo - as you have already surmised, everything on Paddy's list is easy for you to scrounge up given the clinic and your neighborhood resources.
Great job going ahead with it, keeping things going.
adamu
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Nov 7 2008, 08:37 PM) *

Sorry dude - the way things are right now, I don't even know when I am going to find the two days at all, much less which they will be.
But I really am committed to at least two thorough bumps.
Good news right now is that the ball is mostly in y'all's court, and I haven't been called on to do to much this week (pity the poor sods on the other thread - I created a bad situation, and now I am hardly around to help them work through it).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012