Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (adamu)
Everyone

Well, might as well join DireRadiant in my delight - Runner Havens and Street Magic arrived on my doorstep last night. So obviously the new magic rules will be in use in our campaign, and I am going to try to keep Seattle stuff in sync with Runner Havens - and would appreciate similar efforts from others.
On that note - it annoys me how Runner Havens has a LOT less useful info than New Seattle did. And how New Seattle had a lot less useful info than the original Seattle Sourcebook. I will definitely continue to draw from New Seattle, and the older one if I can find it.

MORE IMPORTANTLY - I address you now for the first time from my new apartment. Finally have BB. Hopefully will be able to post more consistently.

Dammitt, must get street magic.
MK Ultra
Congratulations to Adamu!

@BlackHat
I´m with you on Unwirred beeing much more needed then Arsenal or Augmentation! (Streetmagic, however was more needed then Unwirred from my POV wink.gif)

EDIT: BTW, Adamu dos the google-map I linked you still not work? It´s tremendosly usefull, IMO (much thanks to whoever put it up).
BlueRondo
As a player without both Runner Havens and Street Magic, I hope you will all tolerate my ignorance of newly introduced rules or setting material.
adamu
Well Blue - you're not in Seattle, and your character is mundane, so I don't reckon it will be a problem. And anyway, for the record, beyond the BBB, I will never penalize anyone for not having spent money on books. It's no big deal. And I have thoroughly enjoyed your contibution to the game thus far.
adamu
pragma

The chip contains a template for a rating 6 fake SIN, with all the info blank. Also room for three rating 6 licenses of any type. You just fill in the desired info, and upload into a preset collection of databases.
Abbandon
First Wave, Warren

Ok did his system checks and am on the way to Kyle's house. I thought the car ride would be a good place to do the Q&A. Basically Warren wants to know everything that happened from the doc wagon call onwards. He wants to know whats happened since as far as the police. He wants to know about all the other people that were involved. Where his personal property is including his bike.

I dont know how you planned on doing this but im fine with you doing the whole conversation or if you only wanna answer my specific questions in a back and forth manner.

For some reason i find it extremely difficult to make small talk between Warren and Kyle.
pragma
First Wave, Gregory

@adamu
Greg's got some heavy thinking and some escaping from the country to do. I don't know whether I or you should post next -- let me know.

Edit: Worth mentioning what Greg's general strategy is going to be -- it is a four step process.

1. Go to the airport
2. Scare the crap out of some people (use CIA badge)
3. Fly to Seattle
4. Switch SINs and vanish

If any of his knowledge skills or contacts will give him a better idea -- he's more than amenable. This is pretty shaky.
adamu
Everyone

Okay, karma is up. I know it has been three weeks, but I gave a two week award to reflect MY lack of posting. No one's fault but mine, but nonetheless a sad reality that because of me post volume has been down.

Also, congratulations go out to pragma for hitting bottom and entering the transition stage.
adamu
QUOTE (pragma)
First Wave, Gregory

@adamu
Greg's got some heavy thinking and some escaping from the country to do. I don't know whether I or you should post next -- let me know.

Edit: Worth mentioning what Greg's general strategy is going to be -- it is a four step process.

1. Go to the airport
2. Scare the crap out of some people (use CIA badge)
3. Fly to Seattle
4. Switch SINs and vanish

If any of his knowledge skills or contacts will give him a better idea -- he's more than amenable. This is pretty shaky.

Go ahead and post if you want to. All the things you said you want to do should be no problem, but should be covered IC. See my PM.
Konsaki
Congrats, pragma. Welcome to the pit.
*hands over a shovel*
Lets get digging, I hear if we go far enough we will accually hit gold or oil.
*starts to dig deeper with a zeal*
pragma
Your character hijacks a backhoe and mine summons an earth elemental and we'll be swimming in Texas Tea in no time flat.
Ankle Biter
I'm hoping to be along once you have got a good start on that pit, depending how the next few posts go, but as I am a pure face build I will be blagging a few labourers to do my digging for me. nyahnyah.gif
Konsaki
I.E. you are going to skate on doing any actual work while conning other people to do it for you. cool.gif
You know, I know a guy named Tom that did that with a fence once. grinbig.gif
adamu
DireRadiant

Okay, you don't see any more of Doris. All the things you want to do are fine - no one will stop you - the cops are all down, and the local denizens are scared of you or scared to deal with you(r-soon-to-be-hunted-down-and-shot-by-Lone-Star-self).

You can IC up to Monica, and even through handling the Morris crisis (he lives, but loses both legs). Once you sit down with her to talk, you can launch that, but don't get into too much content without me chiming in.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (adamu)
All the things you want to do are fine - no one will stop you

This is always a bad sign, it means something Really Awful is going to happen next.
adamu
Everyone

Just a quick apology for my posts being all over the chart this weekend, as opposed to sticking to the rotation. Aside from prioritizing 'transitioners', which I still think will be more efficient for everyone over the next few weeks, I have been pretty busy, so have been skimming for things I can answer quickly, and skipping those things I plan longer posts on.

I know that people may want some idea of when I will get to them. Right now, people that I think have been waiting longest for replies are Vegas/MJ, Cedric, Blue, and Ankle. Those will be my next four posts - all HOPEFULLY within the next 48 hours.
adamu
Whoa - two out of five down already.

Blue Rondo

Afraid I have to hold onto the IC reins some more for a bit - two many things unfolding too fast for Carla, both internally and externally, too many unknown variables at work.

So back on initiative, and I need your declarations.
DireRadiant
KUDO'S EVERYONE!

Awesome stuff! Fun fun fun!

Jonathan, Guileless... and soon less other things!
Adam, How to make a deal when you got nothing except cojones... will his luck run out?
Caittie, little girl getting all growed up, instead of blowed up, set loose in an uncaring world, or worlds.
Carla, you can only dodge daddy so long.
Warren, we can rebuild him
Greg, there's a bullet with your name on it out there
Electra, bargaining with the devil
John, the machine never sleeps, the machine doesn't care, unfortunately John's not a machine and he needs his sleep.
Conall, strong fists are good, but they can't do everything.
Etain, little girl soon to be lost?
Angus, the champ is now counting his chump change.
BlackHat
Adam - Third Wave

Replied. So...embarrassed.gif .... any chance I can spend karma in the middle of this conversation? biggrin.gif

One thing to note is that since I backtracked the initial part of this conversation after Franco cut me off, Adam hadn't actually had his chance to mention that Harper Balducci is (known to me and) about Shwen's age (although not nearly as good looking).... so, I figured I'd throw that one in here now, before Franco has my lips ripped off.
BlueRondo
First Wave, Carla

After seeing the Ork spontaneously put a gun to his own head, Carla starts to infer that a creature similar to the one she encountered in the hospital is currently responsible for the guard's (and, hopefully, her father's) strange behavior.

Carla makes a knowledge skill check to see if she knows anything about how to resist/defeat these creatures. If she comes up with any ideas based on her knowledge roll, I'll leave it to you to describe her actions, Adamu.

Initiative ( 8 ) = 3 6 3 5 3 5 6 1 = 4 hits (12 initiative)

Parazoology (1) + Specialization (2) + Logic (5) = 8 dice

2 2 3 1 4 2 2 3 = 0 hits (damn!)

If Carla doesn't know anything about how to deal with these creatures, she tells the non-possessed(?) ork to help his partner (it's unlikely Carla could even make his arm budge.) Immediately after speaking, she attempts to run back to the bathroom, hoping she can get her mother to use her magic powers and ward off the creature (if that's in fact the problem.)
Konsaki
Caittie - Third Wave

Adamu, I'm going to have Caittie compile one last sprite if I have the time IC.

Compile rank 4 crack sprite
Compile + Res + VR = 11
2,3,1,3,2,5,6,6,4,4,3 = 3 hits

Resist fading (S) = 11 dice
2,2,5,2,1,4,3,3,6,1,3 = 2 hits

Register sprite
Compile + Res + VR = 11
2,2,3,6,6,5,4,6,6,3,5 = 6 hits

Resist Fading (S) = 11 dice
1,1,4,6,2,3,1,3,2,2,1 = 1 hit

Damn, if that sprite gets too many hits, its going to hurt... bad. At least it isnt physical damage. Oh well, Caittie needs to learn that if she pushes it, the resonance will push back if she ready. sarcastic.gif
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

This is just the main point. All the regular stuff (the arguments I delivered to other NPCs so far) shell stay unmentioned (Sam will come up with it herself anyway).

You can find the full excerpt from WyrmTalk in 'Super Tuesday' pp. 96.

I assumed, that Haeffner/Daviar went with Dunkelzahn´s anounced SIN-amnesty agenda at least in part, during their 1.5 terms in office.

It would go unsaid, that NeoNET would be another sorce of technological innovations. Dispite D saying otherwise about the Megas & inovation in general, all of NeoNET´s predecessors (Nova, Transsys & Erica) where arguably the most inovative in the big ligue (and will be even more so with Richards recent cash rain through the IPO). And they are part of the UCAS´ destiny, too, of cause.
adamu
Vegas and Mister Juan

Okay, you guys can post parallel to the events of the trip, or else post something after dinner before the airport, or post something back in the Tir. Whatever you want.
adamu
MK Ultra

First off - brilliant on the Villiers meet. Wow. Nothing a good GM loves more than excellent players. That meeting was to achieve a +1 on your Vogel extended test, but you get +3. Write it down, cuz I'll forget.

You've accumulated four days work on that problem. Please write that down, too, because you probably won't proceed with the die rolling/finishing that one off at this time.

Scudder thing is a new problem for your original extended test list, same 1 week interval, 10 successes required to resolve, but that target number rises by 1 for every day you don't work on the problem. (Keeping your meet with Ian won't count against you - although if you skip it to get right on this very time-sensitive issue, I'll let you count the 7th as three days on the Scudder task, even though it already counted for the Vogel task.)
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Thanks. I almost convinced myself wink.gif (and I´d probably be convinced, if I was living in a world with upcoming demon invasions, like John nyahnyah.gif).

IIUC the +3 is the compleat bonus for handling Daviar. So I note a +3 mod and scratch my former '(+2d6 extra if Influence on Nadia works out in IC) note, right?
(I´m just a bit confused, because you say you intended it to be +1 but when we first started with it, you said +2 for swaying Nadja.)

I´d start to work on the new task right away (but I´ll put up the call to Ian in IC).

So if I get 3 days of work out of the first if I start right away, would I get 6 days out of it, if I use Multitasking and Sleepregulator on that first day?

Lastly. For finding a new figurehead, will you give me a list of candidates? Otherwise I´d imagin to put up info on people I make up in IC and you tell me what my further research and intell on them turns out to be (thus giving you a smoth tool, to take away candidates that don´t strike you as viable NPCs without the need of editing).
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
2nd wave, John

Thanks. I almost convinced myself wink.gif (and I´d probably be convinced, if I was living in a world with upcoming demon invasions, like John nyahnyah.gif).

IIUC the +3 is the compleat bonus for handling Daviar. So I note a +3 mod and scratch my former '(+2d6 extra if Influence on Nadia works out in IC) note, right?
(I´m just a bit confused, because you say you intended it to be +1 but when we first started with it, you said +2 for swaying Nadja.)

ADAMU - sorry, my mistake. I intended it to be 2 more than it was, so the bonus will be +4 total.

I´d start to work on the new task right away (but I´ll put up the call to Ian in IC).

So if I get 3 days of work out of the first if I start right away, would I get 6 days out of it, if I use Multitasking and Sleepregulator on that first day?

ADAMU - YES

Lastly. For finding a new figurehead, will you give me a list of candidates? Otherwise I´d imagin to put up info on people I make up in IC and you tell me what my further research and intell on them turns out to be (thus giving you a smoth tool, to take away candidates that don´t strike you as viable NPCs without the need of editing).

MK Ultra - don't worry about the list of candidates - just get the successes and the problem will be solved. We'll handle this one strategically, as opposed to IC.
adamu
Konsaki

Sprite got three hits (lucky sprite). So that means no sprite, and four boxes stun to you.

Should make a good IC post, anyway. Better luck (or worse luck for the sprite) next time.
Konsaki
QUOTE (adamu)
Konsaki

Sprite got three hits (lucky sprite). So that means no sprite, and four boxes stun to you.

Should make a good IC post, anyway. Better luck (or worse luck for the sprite) next time.

lol, oh well. This was the best senario out of the two that could have happened. If I failed on the register portion, or got KOed, you would have had to write an IC blurb about a sprite run amuk. biggrin.gif
adamu
pragma/Vegas/Mister Juan/Konsaki

Hey all - it occurs to me that summoning and compiling and all that are straight dice formulae with no real decision making on the GM's part. Since players are making their own rolls, there's no reason for them not to go ahead and roll for the spirit/sprite. Anything over force seven or anything freaky (free spirits, whatever) I will handle, as there may be some edge expenditure on the summonee's part.

But anything up to force 6 just do yourselves - it'll save us a post cycle.
adamu
BlackHat

You can spend karma during this meet if it is on a social skill. Otherwise, you can spend as soon as you are clear of the meet.
adamu
pragma/Abbandon/JDragon

Just confirming that you guys are going to be doing some posting now.

Near as I can tell, JD will be doing some shopping/hiding/meditating,

pragma will be doing some relocating, and initiating some investigation stuff,

and

Abbandon will be rehabilitating and initiating some investigation stuff.

Ball in your courts, but I just wanted to confirm that none of you were waiting on me for anything (this is not a "HURRY UP!" message, just trying to be helpful). If you are waiting for something, let me know.
adamu
DireRadiant

Were you going to do another post on hooking up with Monica? Or did you want me to? Advantages to both - thought I'd leave it up to you. If you have some definite ideas (and feel free to use what we discussed prior to game starting), that's cool.
Or I can post. Whatever.
Let me know.
adamu
Blue Rondo

Hmm - with no hits I can't really help you on the knowledge test. I have reflected your declared actions in the IC post.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (adamu)
DireRadiant

Were you going to do another post on hooking up with Monica? Or did you want me to? Advantages to both - thought I'd leave it up to you. If you have some definite ideas (and feel free to use what we discussed prior to game starting), that's cool.
Or I can post. Whatever.
Let me know.

I'd like you to do it. I think we've done a good scene at the Rhino dinner setting up the initial relationship, and it will be more fun for me if you do the post with the "other" side of Monica. You'll inject some good details or twists which wouldn't be as fun as the ones I come up with myself.
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

AS THE ATTACKER APPROACHES (you'll have to judge whether Carla can accomplish this before he arrives):

(1) Carla locks the bathroom door
(2) Turns on the bathtub faucet.
(3) Finds a wired hairdryer (or some similar electrical bathroom device), turns it on, and throws it in the bathtub.
(4) Hides beside the hinge of the door (so she'll be behind the door when it opens.)

Carla then WAITS for the attacker to approach. Once the attacker is in the bathroom, Carla attempts to SUPRISE him

NEXT COMBAT TURN
Surprise Initiative Test = Initiative ( 8 ) + Ambushing (6) = 4 2 6 5 2 1 1 6 2 4 5 1 1 4 = 4 hits (12 initiative)

Should Carla successfully surprise the attacker, she shoves (KNOCK DOWN) the attacker into the tub with the live hairdryer in it (and, hopefully, electrocutes him.)

Strength (2) + Defaulting Unarmed Attack (-1) + Edge (4)
2 5 2 2 6 = 2 hits

And, of course, should things get ugly, here is a damage resistance roll for Carla if she happens to get shot.

Reaction (4) + Dodge (1)
4 2 3 1 2 = 0 hits
Damage Resistance: Body (3)
6 3 2 = 1 hit
BlackHat
Adam - Third Wave

Yeah, I think I will spend 12 karma raising my intimidation to 3. smile.gif Might spend some more later if I think of where I want it, but for now, I might as well patch up that little oversight.
pragma
First Wave, Gregory

Life's been a bit hectic recently, a few posts will be up in the next day or two.
JDragon
Angus - Second Wave

I have my IC post up for the week of hiding out.

Here are my Addiction rolls for the week.

Addiction Tests
Body (8) + Will (2) - Addiction (4) = 6 dice
8/2/70 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 6 = 1 hit / 0 Pills taken

8/3/70 3, 1, 1, 2, 5, 6 = 2 hits / 0 Pills taken

8/4/70 1, 6, 2, 5, 4, 5 = 3 hits / 0 Pills taken

8/5/70 5, 6, 4, 5, 1, 4 = 3 hits / 0 Pills taken

8/6/70 2, 6, 3, 5, 2, 1 = 2 hits / 0 Pills taken

8/7/70 6, 5, 5, 3, 4, 4 = 3 hits / 0 Pills taken

8/8/70 5, 1, 1, 3, 6, 4 = 2 hits / 0 Pills taken

My plan is to take a cab to the club, and see what I can do to find Smithers and talk to him and see what he can do for me.

Let me know what you need.

JD
Konsaki
Got a question... Since I never take the addiction flaw on any of my characters, I never really got how it went. I know you can get worse, but you have to spend karma and successes to work yourself out of it?
JDragon
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Got a question... Since I never take the addiction flaw on any of my characters, I never really got how it went. I know you can get worse, but you have to spend karma and successes to work yourself out of it?

As I understand it, when you can be rid of it is up to the GM.

When the DM thinks you've resisted it long enough you can spend twice the karma it cost in BP to get rid of it.

This is my first time dealing with it. Due to playing the troll it has been easier to resist the cravings now that Angus is actually trying. I figure he got addicted and stayed that way at first cause he didn't really try to stop.

JD

adamu
BlackHat

Intimidation from 1 to 3 costs 10 points, not 12. Noted on your sheet.

Okay, no is THE negotiation roll. His response to your pitch will be largely determined by this roll. Your big +4 I've been granting is largely cancelled by the fact that you really aren't offering much, but in other ways it does indeed appeal to him. So your total mod is +1 die. He is going to come back with something, and it is likely to be his Final Answer. So let's see what you roll in this Opposed Test.
adamu
Blue Rondo

Sweet play with the bathtub thing, dude.

Okay, you can IC again. Could you do a scene checking out the pandemonium out front, please?

Basically, lots of KE guys showed up from the perimeter.

Lots of reporters broke out of their restricted area and followed the guards like a pack of rapid wolves.

They found two KE guards with fatal bullet wounds to the head, both of whom attacked and tried to eat the people arriving.

KE fighting shedim, KE fighting reporters, reporters swarming in to get pictures of everything - they'll try to get all through the house....
adamu
Cedric

Okay dude, rather than IC some boring roleplaying with the grief counselor, if you have any questions for her about any details (no guarantee she knows much), you can ask them here.

Next move up to you.
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu)
BlackHat

Intimidation from 1 to 3 costs 10 points, not 12. Noted on your sheet.

You sure?
Oh lol, I just started typing up why I thought it was 12 and realised it is, in fact, 10. My math degree is working out well for me. smile.gif Well, let's just go ahead and raise it to 4 then, which would cost another 8 (not the 16 I somehow thought it would cost) - for a total spent of 18. biggrin.gif

As for the negotiation roll
Charisma(4)+Influence(4)+Modifier(1)+Edge( 8 ) =
[4] [3] [5] [3] [6] [2] [2] [4] [5] [2] [4] [1] [1] [6] [4] [1] [1]
Rerolling sixes:
[2] [6]
Total Hits: 5
Edge uses Remaining 2/8
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

I´ll use multitasking and sleep-regulator on the first day, which basicall means working on the matter all night through, I guess. Saturday should be usual work-load, so I have compleated one week worth of work at saturday afternoon.

If Ian came along, I´ll go clubing with him that night (since the regular 7-day-shifts where 60h or so and allowed for enought time to have one or two days off, I guess I won´t have to use multitasking or sleep-regulator, to meet with Ian, but i´d do so if necesarry).

All employees working that saturday will have it counted as regular work (taking their weekend on saturday and monday if they allready worked their full shift for last week). Those working all night through will get extra pay and another half day off (making it one full day) when the Suddar matter is sattled. To simulate this, I´d suggest I simply subtract 1 day from the 4 days I allready have for the Sierra task.

For Apalachian Holdings, I´d like to find a replacement for Scuddar that isn´t only capable and reliable, but can also help me with some of the tasks ahead (preferably the CAS issus). I´d be willing to spend a day or so extra time, to find someone that fits, after the other Scudder fall-out is dealt with.

EDIT: Here is the roll for 1st week´s work

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
QUOTE (adamu)
JDragon

Now, about those pills - it occurs to me they need stats.
First, they are easy to get from any street dealer, and costs Y300 a dose.(You got on it while you were getting rich, and it has almost the full pain resistance effect of Nitro, WITHOUT debilitating side effects. Very designer and chic right now.
As noted, they are physically addictive.

Almost immediately upon ingestion, they stop the effects of five boxes each of stun and physical damage. Lasts one hour.

Per the rules for moderate addiction, you resist cravings with a Body test -4 dice. You only need one success, but without it you'll do about anything to get the drug. You need to make one test a day, and also a test every single time you take a wound, stun or physical.
Fail to resist three times in a row and you up your addiction rating to serious.

As for withdrawal, kicking, and other fun things, the SR4 rules leave a lot more room for GM discretion and player roleplaying. Let's just say you've never gone long enough without them to experience withdrawal, though you have gone as many as four days to clear y9our system for a fight. You are pretty sure that if you go longer than that it's gonna start to hurt.

Great post dude. But we do have to adjust some addiction stuff.

As you can see above, it's not Body + Willpower, it's just Body. That means on the first two days, you take pills. So minus two pills from your stash. (One more failure in a row and you'd've been in Serious Addiction territory.)

As it stands now, there's no serious need for you to edit anything in your IC post unless you feel like it, but note that you are now at five days off the pills, which is longer than you've ever gone - uncharted waters in terms of physical withdrawal.

Right now you are at -1 die on all tests, with a strong sense that it will get better before it gets worse, if you don't take a pill.

IF you get through the withdrawal period, then you won't have to worry about withdrawal ever again provided you don't relapse, but you'll still be a latent addict. That means you'll still have to make a test every three days and every time you get wounded, and if you ever take a pill again, even once, you'll be back to daily checks.
You can continue in that state indefinitely, or we can work on erasing even that, but it would be a long-term project involving either karma or serious role-playing efforts.
Can't say at this time how long your physical withdrawal will last or how bad it will get.

All that said, looks like you are off to a great start on your addiction recovery.

As for what you find out in public listings on Crusher 495 - it is an ork/troll dive just outside Touristville in Redmond (just a few blocks into serious E-zone neighborhood). If you have the original Seattle book, that will give you some idea of the place. If you have the New Seattle book, forget it - its brief period as a tourist joint are dead and gone.
adamu
Everyone

BlackHat, no problem with latest karma purchase, BUT

everyone has done a very good job of giving me IC justifications of karma expenditures. Thank you for that. Keep that up, and I will almost always be able to say yes to your buys.
But I do agree with the suggestion in the rules (ALL the rules are suggestions for the GM!) that players not be allowed to raise anything more than one step at a time. So from now on, for any given skill or attribute, please raise only one notch at a time from now on everyone, please. Raising several things at once is fine.
Please keep up the IC justifications as you have been.
Konsaki, this rule does not apply to CFs - since you formally study and learn them.
adamu
Blue Rondo

Sweet post.

You have no trouble getting out the back and to your brother's place. Post at will.
adamu
MK Ultra

Ian does come to Boston.

You can get a CAS guy, but it bumps the success threshold from 10 to 12. But it will give you a +1 die modifier to tests for CAS-related problems in the future.
adamu
DireRadiant

I can't promise you will be the next post I make, but you will be the top priority the very next time I have a chance to sit down for an hour or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012