Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

OK. WasnŽt going to post more for London. IŽll just jump right into the conversation - no long post. (What a shame that I donŽt have a sleep regulator nyahnyah.gif)

BTW, is that Troll guy Green-War (which IIRC see most action in America and are the hard core terrorists blowing up civilians) or Green-Cells (IIRC more Euro-centered but less radical - still bombing corporate facilities thouch)?
adamu
MK Ultra

Hah! MY turn to quote canon! (Your knowledge of the SR universe is sometimes intimidating - that's a GOOD thing!)

My Loose Alliances sitting here on my lap has TerraFirst as mostly American, Green cells as mostly European, but GreenWar as the real extremists, worse than the other two, and operating around the world, but mostly Europe with HQ supposedly in AGS.
Abbandon
First Wave, Cerberus

Ok. I got my weapons. And I made up some crap about a matrix search for information about the night of my ambush.

Do you want any rolls for search results or something??

I'd like you to pilot cerberus and take him to the hospital where he was poisoned and ask around to see if anyone died and what type of chemical they were injected with and if that type of chemical says anything about the attacker.

That way you can handle both sides of the conversation and we dont have to wait for me to set up scenes. Again are there any rolls you will need for this ??

You can make the hospital visit whatever date you want from tuesday july 22nd to august 1st.

Im not gonna go snoop around gang turf(not since we will be merging), im not gonna talk to the cops, and i dont have the money to have a hacker try to dig up info. So my matrix search and hospital visit are all the investigating im gonna do at the moment.
BlueRondo
First Wave, Carla

Okay, here's an extended data search test. I don't know what your success threshold is, so I'll just post a lot of rolls.

I have an accompanying IC post for fluff purposes.

Data search (-1) + Browse (4) = 3. Interval = 6 seconds

2 5 1 = 1 hit
2 6 3 = 1 hit (2 total) - 12 seconds
5 4 6 = 2 hits (4 total) - 18 seconds
4 3 3 = 0 hits
2 2 1 = 0 hits
5 5 3 = 2 hits (6 total) - 36 seconds
4 6 3 = 1 hit (7 total) - 42 seconds
5 4 5 = 2 hits (9 total) - 48 seconds
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Ah, damn, mixed up Green-War with Terra-First. So that Troll is a hardcore wacko, nice - hope I donŽt meet him in person though.

So my conversation starter - or more acuratly, my pausing of conversation - is up.
adamu
Blue Rondo

Actually, without Data Search skill, you would default from you 5 Logic, so you would have 8 dice. (STUPID hole in the rules - if you were to buy, say, Data Search at a level 2, you would have 2 LESS dice to roll than if you just defaulted. Personally, I'd let you default in that situation, but it's not RAW.)

Anyway, you got enough successes anyway, especially with your fluff about looking for your Mother's personal files. Nothing obviously apparent about shedim or anything.
BlueRondo
First Wave, Carla

I'm not really keen on matrix rules. Is it possible for me to read the file while someone else is hacking it?

Also, since I'm accessing the file legally, is it possible for me to delete the file or transfer it to the commlink without some sort of hacking test?
adamu
Abbandon

As for the data search, without that skill or a browse program, you would get a pool of your Logic attribute -1 die, and that would be if you were actively doing it.

Technically, so set you commlink to scan for stories in the media on its own takes at least a Browse program. So, frustrated with your lack of success, I will say you spent a few hours actively searching defaulting to Logic. Your computer skill tells you that should be enough to turn up public media reports, but aside from no-content obituary notices for your crew members, you find NOTHING. Not even any mention that the deaths of Nick, Dani, and Ray were related, or even that they worked for Doc Wagon.

I will post your conversation at the Doc Wagon clinic right now.
adamu
Blue Rondo

Well, Carla doesn't seem to know much about computers, either. I will tell you that the warning light is for the whole office terminal node, not the file you are trying to access. But you know enough to know that the timeframes for hacking once they are in the system is measured in seconds.

Without the password, the file can't be deleted or downloaded.

I notice that you have a photographic memory. Isn't it handy how everything that has happened to you is all written down on this thread - your ability to review that simulates your photo memory quite nicely, I think.
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

Well then, Carla opens the file and starts reading.
adamu
Blue Rondo

I am real sorry, I guess you misunderstood me. When I said the file couldn't be downloaded or deleted, I assumed you'd understand it couldn't be read, either.

When I referred to your photographic memory, I was suggesting that one good way to simulate that in GAME TERMS would be for you to be able to review previous posts on THIS DUMPSHOCK THREAD.

You need the password (or a decrypt action, which seems less likely than finding the password) to open the file.
adamu
Abbandon

Okay, that conversation you wanted is up.

Please note that me making that sort of post is an exception - I can't run your character proactively like that once we get into 'regular play' barring unusual circumstances. But we are expediting you right now.

Speaking of which. I am ready to have Smithers call you about work sometime mid-August.

If you have anything to do before then, do it. If not, let me know, and I'll give you an IC post of getting a call - which will put you smack into 'regular play'.
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

Oops, me and my computer incompetence. I'll make corrections.
adamu
Blue Rondo

You are talking to the KING of computer incompetence. No worries.
Vegas
Etain, Second Wave

Recasting Mindlink to her sustaining focus (forgive me if I muck this up.. first attempts doing magic in SR4 )
Magic (4) + Spellcasting (4) = 8 dice
[5] 4 4 2 2 [5] 1 [5] Hits:3

Drain
WP (4) + Logic (4) = 8 dice
[5] [5] 1 3 [6] [5] 3 [6] Hits:5

I think that more than covers it wink.gif Etain's no worse for wear before heading to dinner.

adamu
Vegas

Dang, girl, thanks for adding that last line! I was, like, trying to remember by Sperethiel or something so I could figure out what you meant to do.

So, ring is on and activated? Right?

I'll post right away.

Adam.
Vegas
Yuppers. On and just rolled for the casting just to CMA, don't know if it's still necessary really but to be on the safe side. biggrin.gif

and yeah, I'm so winging it with the Sperethiel it's not even funny nyahnyah.gif So if I just accidentally called someone's mother a cheap whore who sucks on the infected teats of a goat... I'm really sorry. rollin.gif
adamu
Vegas

Yeah, I KNEW there would be a cross-post waiting for me the moment I hit Add Reply.

Anyway, near as I can tell, you only have to Reactivate the focus (simple action). You don't have to recast unless the spell is disrupted.
This is good, since it saves us the trouble of finding out of Conall is still a voluntary target!

Cheers, Adam.
adamu
And yes, I knew there would be another cross post waiting for me again!

I was of course joking about the Sperethiel. I think there's a real short glossary in a sourcebook somewhere, but it hasn't actually been done up (like Klingon) has it?
Vegas
Yeah there's a limited one on the DSF archives, but it's pretty limited at best and I haven't found anything else in my quick searches. I'll just start inventing stuff soon enough nyahnyah.gif
adamu
Vegas

Okay - you basically have three options or any combination thereof.

Parallel post giving your impressions of all the stuff I just posted.

Training posts you mentioned.

Time passes/montage/something to move things forward about three weeks, during which time things proceed as they have been, except that the relationship reaches that point where, while he still takes you out on formal (and extravagant) dates, there is a lot of commcalling and just hanging out at one another's homes. Parents always VERY friendly on both sides.

Conall is - well, that's for Mister Juan to decide.

So post whatever you like.
adamu
JDragon

Congratulations, dude. First into transition. And now first into 'regular play.'

Edge refreshes.
adamu
MK Ultra

All the data you see matches with the time-date stamp at the top of my last IC post - two hours into your four-hour flight. Mid-Atlantic. Nothing appears amiss.
IC from here is all on you - go as far as you like. I'll probably want to chime in for Rhiannon at some point.
BlackHat
Adam - Third Wave

Posted a day or so of "down time". wink.gif Will post about the Frat-meeting hopefully tonight or tomarrow, but it was getting long and I wanted to submit something.
Abbandon
First Wave, Cerberus

Ok im ready for regular play and i already have questions lol. Because of my liberal use of time I think the rent on my apartment might already be do by the time i start regular play? Should i go back and get the actual date and everything so I know when its up.

Or you wanna just say that come August when the game actually starts I have two months remaining like what i paid for.

I think it would be good if you explained how regular play will work. How will we be divided, will there be new threads.

I look forward to actually getting the chance to shoot more than one person and actually beat some people up in a melee!!!
Konsaki
Caittie - Third Wave

Purchase:
Miracle Shooter - 50 nuyen.gif
pragma
First Wave, Gregory

Greg is on the prowl for a (low) lfiestyle and a fixer. Let me know what he finds looking for each.

In case they're relevant:
Etiquette: # dice: 9 :: 5 6 5 1 2 4 4 1 4 -- 3 successes
Data Search: # dice: 2 :: 1 3 -- 0 successes
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

There we go. Just for fun, here are some rolls.

[ Spoiler ]
Konsaki
Hmm... what could John be... I know a Rigger! biggrin.gif
Those are some kickass rolls, MK.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

I put up a schadul for Thursday (and beyond) at castle harlech. If you want to elaborate on some encounter from Monday, we can do so, while John is replaying them in his mind. Otherwise go on in the week as far as you like.

As noted I intend to spend the extra day for the chack-up.

EDIT: Konseki sure, he is rigging people wink.gif
Remember the hearing, when he 'mounted' Marlean Tompson biggrin.gif
adamu
Everyone

Abbandon brought up a very good question regarding lifestyle payments.

I am pretty sure that all the people that are 'waiting' for timelines to coalesce have had some sort of free or compensated living arrangement worked out so they don't have to use all their limited money while they wait on other people. Except maybe Caittie, but we are actually only talking about a few days in her case.

The general rule is that you should not have had to spend a lot of your 'own' money on lifestyle expenses between entering transition and starting regular play. At least nothing over just a few weeks, which is sort of the in-game challenge of surviving.

If I have missed someone on this, please PM me and we will straighten it out.

To answer your question directly Abbandon, the two months you prepaid on your lifestyle don't start ticking away until I declare you in regular play.

Which is now - mid-August - whatever date I stamp the post where Smithers next calls you.
Cerberus' Edge refreshes.

adamu
pragma

Finding the lifestyle is fluff - do what you like within the parameters we already set for your interim lifestyle.

Keep the strong etiquette roll - we'll use that - but I need some sort of idea, just general, about how you will go about looking for a fixer. IC preferable on that.
pragma
On it.
adamu
Abbandon & JDragon

An Actioneer suit will be 'nice' enough for your needs, although since you are trolls one that fits right will cost Y1,850.
Note that the Evo BizSport line has a suit with the same armor rating and fashionability for Y1,600.

Or just buy a Y500 unarmored suit and do what you like about the armor.
adamu
pragma

Troll gave you a comm number with the name 'Don Ricardo.'

I know you have things you want to get done, so go for it. You know which things you'll need me for, and I'll be watching for cues.

But basically, just like everyone else right now, the faster you get all that stuff done and post yourself up to mid or late August the faster you'll see some real action.

You'll have plenty of time to contamplate, meditate, explore Seattle, and just generally lay low. Whatever you want.

By the way - that data search roll a few posts ago WAS a glitch. A Critical Glitch, in fact. To wit - half the dice rolled were 1 and no successes. Fortunately, near as I can tell it was a pure fluff apartment-hunting roll. Just want to be clear to everyone is on the same page as to what constitutes a glitch.
adamu
Ankle Biter

Okay, here is what I need from you whenever you have time. Doesn't all have to be one post, obviously. And as much as you want can be as simple as summary mentions. Or as detailed as you like. Whatever you like.

* Next day, rehearsals of lots of special effects and you getting rescued, but your rescuers and everyone else dying during a transport of you to another facility.
* The actual performance. It is staged rather far from the Squeeze.
* You make it across the city to the Squeeze despite being hunted by police who have not been informed it is all a show.
* You establish life in the Squeeze (walled barrens of London), and live it for some time (weeks).
DireRadiant
If I had a greek girlfriend named Electra I would never ever ever betray her. It's one of the oldest Classics. A Classic mistake.
adamu
Vegas & Mister Juan

Dammit!!! Just posted a fat OOC in the IC thread. Then erased it so hastily I didn't cut and paste it here. This is not a good game for a person who hates typing....

Okay, I don't need to tell you how much I am looking forward to what you all wear/go as to the party. Also, Patrick will be interested in what Etain is going as, as he would like to go as a pair, if she is game for that. Or not. If Etain has no ideas (which I cannot imagine), or if she just wants his input, he will certainly have some ideas.

Mister Juan - no need for subtlety on my part here - I very much would like Conall to be in attendance at the party. It will be a major scene, and I will be doing some orchestrating (isn't that a much nicer word than railroading?).

Naturally you are both more than welcome to do parallel posts for the pool party, or posts during the time leading up to the costume party.
adamu
QUOTE (BlackHat)
Adam - Third Wave

Posted a day or so of "down time". wink.gif Will post about the Frat-meeting hopefully tonight or tomarrow, but it was getting long and I wanted to submit something.

Okay, so I will wait for that. Definitely ready and eager to start fast-tracking you, though.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (adamu)
It will be a major scene, and I will be doing some orchestrating (isn't that a much nicer word than railroading?).

Ignore the conductor's baton at your peril.
Vegas
QUOTE (adamu)
It will be a major scene, and I will be doing some orchestrating (isn't that a much nicer word than railroading?).

Yay for major scenes! Yay for railroading... er I mean "Orchestrating"

Heh.

Seriously though, looking foward to it. Sorry it took so long to write the novel of the last post. Work is insane. I'm on my way in for another good 10-12 hours here in a few and I'm trying to psyche myself up for it.

I need good motivation. Free coffee isn't cutting it anymore nyahnyah.gif
MK Ultra
Yay, a costume party smile.gif

2nd wave, John

I apologize for mixing up tuesday and thursday. The jogging and flashback where meant to be on Tuesday the 18th (IŽll edit accordingly). The corrent scene on the eve before my departure will be on Thursday the 20th.. embarrassed.gif

EDIT: Oh and the time you posted is pm, I assume? Sorry for that confusion.
Abbandon
Regulars, Cerberus

Why the comment about the auctioneer suits? Were you responding to something Jdragon did?
JDragon
Abbandon,

I belive you and I will be working for the same person. :-P

I had been told by Smithers that I would need a suit for the work.

So I think he was just trying to make it easier, for me at least, and included the info for you since we seem to be hitting some of the same situations.

JD
Abbandon
Ahhh.

@Adamu bro you dont have to repeat everything you told Jdragon to me. I read it all. So unless you wanted to flesh out our meeting you can just gloss over it. I dont mind either way just trying to save you some time.

Im rolling for my starting nuyen roll since we are getting into real money now.

low lifestyle = 3d6 x50Y
4,4,6 = 14x50 = 700Y
JDragon
Angus / Rocky - Second Wave

Adamu
Here are the details for my shopping....

Evo BizSport Suit - Black - 1600 nuyen

Novatech Airwave Commlink - with Iris Orb OS, browse (r2), & encrypt (r3) software - 2500 nuyen.

Addiction Test
Body (8) - Addiction (4) = 4 dice
3, 6, 5, 3 = 2 hits / no pills

I think thats it for now, till the call comes in. Let me know if I missed anything and if I need rolls for additonal days that pass before the call comes in.

JD
adamu
JDragon

Everything looks good. As you can see from the IC, no additional addiction rolls will be needed before you get called.

Can you do me a small favor to help me keep track of things?
When you do your addiction rolls - which I will need to keep seeing for every day you do not choose simply to pop a pill - could you include a notation saying what day you are at in terms of no pills? So I can have some idea of how close you are to going back into physical withdrawal. Thanks.
adamu
BlueRondo

Okay, do what you want with the file - read, download, delete, whatever. But the system's meager defenses are screaming bloody murder as someone brute-force hacks the bejeepers out of them.
JDragon
QUOTE (adamu)
JDragon

Everything looks good. As you can see from the IC, no additional addiction rolls will be needed before you get called.

Can you do me a small favor to help me keep track of things?
When you do your addiction rolls - which I will need to keep seeing for every day you do not choose simply to pop a pill - could you include a notation saying what day you are at in terms of no pills? So I can have some idea of how close you are to going back into physical withdrawal. Thanks.

No problem.

The 14th is day 2 in a row. smile.gif

I'll add this info to my rolls from this point forward.

JD
adamu
Abbandon, JDragon, and Everyone

The first IC thread for 'regular play' is up. Abbandon and JDragon please start using it for now, and I will let people know when I want them to switch threads.

Please continue to post time-date stamps in the same format, but replace Character Name with Location on the top line.

For now, everyone please keep using the main OOC thread. I will be posting an 'Up from the Bottom' OOC thread when I get around to it, but I'm not sure when, as I need to get organized about some ground rules for our regular play that I want to have up and established with the first post.

A & J --- you guys can post your arrivals, and sit down with Ezekiel. You can do all that meeting each other roleplaying, of course, but I do ask that - just for now - you avoid a lot of long drawn out back and forth posting, as I am trying to move forward quickly to where we can include additional players.

You two are still my top response priority - I'll be replying to all your posts before anyone else's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012