Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
WinterRat1
Sorry to drop in unexpectedly, but I would just like to point out that Frosty is definitely still alive as of November 1, 2070, so there's absolutely no way you two can kill her in August.

Translation: She's invincible right now! Run! Run for your lives! nyahnyah.gif
MK Ultra
Did he notice that there´s lots of shedim activity down here? Maybe check that November-Frosty´s aura again nyahnyah.gif
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan)
@adamu
They way I see it, Conall has had a VERY bad night:
-His sister is hurt (which he sees as his own fault)
-he's had to go into the worst S&M club,
-he's had to share close quarter with a lot of what he considers like filth (trolls, orks, dwarves... and let's face it, everyone but pure blood elves),
-he's down in the gutter with the low lives/criminals,
-he's in a whore den, he's had to fight for his life,
-he dirtied himself with blood, gore and probably rather unclean water,
-he's had to ride his bike with Krait,
-he's been insulted by a human whore,
-and he feels like his time is being wasted.

All in all, I thought it was pretty in character to have him throw a hissy fit wink.gif

Mister Juan - absolutely in no way intended to criticize your actions. Merely said I was surprised, but that just means I spend a lot more time thinking about what the NPCs will do than the players.

Anything you choose to do, all good with me.

And on that note----

What Winter says is true - not only is Frosty still alive in November, but I have already typed five pages of background on her, which I intend to give to him and hopefully be richly rewarded for. That won't work if she's dead.

BUT - if things really do get crazy, there is plenty of time for clonal organ replacement and reconstructive surgery between August and November....

Which is to say - you guys don't worry about any of this immortality/time warp stuff - feel free to do whatever you want to do - I can treat you fairly and still make sure Frosty is healthy once November rolls around.

Unfortunately, left dice at office. Look for a bump tonight.
Vegas
*snickers*

Never send a boy to do a woman's job... biggrin.gif

(in otherwords, I wish Etain hadn't had the living shit kicked out of her)
adamu
Looks like the ball is in Mister Juan's court now....
MK Ultra
So, can I judge (by the curent scene and the com recordings I saw), what order of magnitude Frosty is thinking of as compensation for the paydata?

Because I´m still not aware what´s the going rate for bribing, information and such things in your game -some Players/GMs throw out thousends or even tense of thousends for info, others considder 100 nuyen.gif a lot. Since this essentially goes down to buying information, too, I´d like to have some orientation, as I think John should know better then I do.

I did another Judge Intention roll for this purpose, too, adding Economy (Black Market) / 2 and scored 8 hits.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
Your strong knowledge of Black Market Economies notwithstanding, you have no knowledge or experience with E and Z-zone environments. This hurts your roll.

But you sense that just as you don't know the sorts of prices things get in this environment, she doesn't really have any idea what sort of prices "real runners" might be willing to pay for things, or even how "high speed" and "connected" the two of you are.

So neither of you really knows what to ask for, and of course she knows as well as any negotiator that the first to make an offer is at a disadvantage.
MK Ultra
Thanks, that´s fine. I just wanted to make sure not to have her totaly anoyed at my first offer, because of it beeing extreamly underprice. Of course this can still happen, but knowing that she has no solid idea either, helps tremendously. biggrin.gif
Vegas
Hey, if Carla wants to be an avid participant, she can always make the executive decision to turn the cab around. Since Frosty likes women better than men n' all biggrin.gif

Heh.
MK Ultra
So it stays Good Cop/Bad Cop biggrin.gif

Anyone thinking Paddy will let John play the Bad Cop next time, if he asks him. You know because playing the Bad Cop is allways more fun nyahnyah.gif
MK Ultra
As posted I´d rather keep the nuyen.gif below 500 or at most 550. I´d also offer onetime medical service by a skilled medical doctor, as well as technical services -onetime or limited number of services/worktime, but I wouldn´t mind if it ends up to be a good chunk of work- (got 1 week left to use the electronics shop, so there might be some things I could do that the gang can´t do themselves), hardware work or software-cracking - could even offer them cracked utilities (but not the original versions). If this is still not enough, I´d offer onetime warding services or similar magical work, but ask Carla about it first, as it won´t make Conall very happy.

If all of this still isn´t enough, it depends on how much we´d have to pay on top of that.

Got 9 hits on unmodified Negotiation.

[ Spoiler ]

We can play through the negotiations in IC or handle them OOC, as you like.

PS: Dos Anyone know a conveninet dice-roll (preferably not online, so I can use it while prepairing posts offline)? The excell diceroller is nice because I allready have all the Atts and Skills in the tab, so I just have to cut - paste - klick button - cut - paste the results into the post, but it produces similar diceresults fairly often, which is starting to anoy me a bit.
adamu
MK Ultra -

You can use Business as a complementary skill for Negotiation, but not usually Finance, which has to do with borrowing, loaning, and otherwise raising capital.

In any case, you kick her ass as a negotiator.

You'll get the paydata for the Y400 you offered.

She will, of course, try to get the price up, but you are too skilled for her. So go ahead and do an IC post of her attempt and your counter, ending at the original offer of Y400.

Once you get that up, I will do an IC post of the handover.
MK Ultra
Wow, totaly hadn´t expected that! She seamed quiet overwhelming social-skill wise. I had really expected to give her the 572 nuyen.gif credstick (after negotiating 500-550 and giving the small change as a good-will bonus) maybe with some service or two. But of course our budget is taylored much to slim to give up 172 nuyen.gif without force - who knows what else we´ll have to pay before we find Esmeralda.

I´ll probably make up an IC tonight.

P.S.: We have used Business (Finances) as a complementary skill with all haggling rolls for purchases and sales before. Want to change that? I didn´t buy the specialization at chargen for that purpose, so it´s no disadventage for me if you chose to use it no longer.
BlueRondo
Bravo, MK! That makes everything a hell of a lot easier.
BlueRondo
Adamu

Does Carla get the data, or is there no connection?
adamu
As I mentioned earlier - connection fine. IC post soon.
adamu
Okay - I was going to IC Carla sending the confirmation to the boys, but didn't know if BR wanted to send a message with it or not, so I held off.

Note the time-date on the post header - it takes about two seconds for Frosty to send the data, but about three minutes for Carla to view it, with all the interesting parts lasting about three seconds.

So I will let BR post sending a confirmation at the appropriate time.

If MJ and MK get on before BR does, they can feel free to post something about the three minute wait. Whatever seems fun.
Vegas
So are we at the point we can keep pushing forward, and start to regroup/decide the next steps to hunting down whomever kidnapped Esmerelda or is there something else that needs to happen before then...

And by "we" of course I mean "Carla, Krait and Conall" as Etain will be chilling in the comfort of a church apartment with all her bitches, hoes, drugs and drinking gin & juice... or better yet, healing. biggrin.gif
adamu
Yes, free to regroup, rest, whatever, get wherever you are going.

I leave it to the boys to IC something about leaving the Heartbreaker HQ, including something about the 3-minute wait if they want.
Once they IC their way out of there they can go wherever they want.

Basically everyone free to do/post whatever they feel is appropriate.
BlueRondo
Assuming there won't be significant interaction between the boys and Carla, I'm fast-forwarding to Carla's arrival back at home. I'll edit or remove the post if there are any significant problems.

Here's a first aid test. I remember you said the clinic had a medkit, Adamu, but I forget what the rating was, so I'll put it at 3. Also, could Carla use her magical health knowledge to partially counter the penalty for having a magician patient?

First Aid (5) + Log (5) + Indoor Conditions (-1) + Magical Patient (-2) + Medkit (3?) = 10 dice

3, 3, 3, 3, 1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 4

Oh, you've got to be kidding me. I'll use edge to reroll:

1, 5, 2, 6, 4, 6, 3, 3, 6, 6 = 5 hits
Vegas
Y'all can blame Mister Juan for the unreadable "irish brogue" nyahnyah.gif

Yay for some first aid! smile.gif smile.gif Thanks BR! That'll go a ways to making her feel better indeed! I'll wait for Adamu's ruling on just how much she's healed though before I go skipping through the tulips nyahnyah.gif
Mister Juan
HEY! Don't you bitch about my irish brogue! If you read it outloud, it actually sounds REALLY good wink.gif
Vegas
I'm not bitching... far from it smile.gif and yes, when read aloud it sounds pretty kick ass.

You know I adore you for showing me that little trick wink.gif
Mister Juan
*giggles*
Mister Juan
MK
Just leaving some room for you if you want to write something out.
If not, we can always jump straight ahead, and time jump all the way to meet back up with BR and Vegas.
adamu
My PM box is being weird.

It said I had four new messages, but then I found only two.

So, I have now replied to everything that needed replying to (except quick greetings, thanks, comments needing no answer). So if you have in the last three days or so PMed me a question or anything you think needed a reply or just want to make sure I got, and you haven't heard back from me, try again.
adamu
BlueRondo (and Vegas) - without bothering with a search, I think the medkit is Rating 5. So two more dice for that. Then I added your magical health as a comp skill, so total four more dice. Rolled and rerolled for your Edge point. Total three more successes, which makes 8 successes which makes 6 boxes healed capped at highest of your skill or medkit rating (same at 5) meaning five boxes of stun healed.
adamu
You guys have karma coming - both for activity and roleplaying (way overdue), and also for finishing a big chapter of the run.
Tired now. If you don't get it by the end of the week remind me.
Vegas
Thanks Adamu! smile.gif Yay Etain can be more "human" again nyahnyah.gif

And yay for upcoming delicious karma!

I think you just made my day smile.gif
MK Ultra
Kharma is a dish best served cold facelick.gif

MJ
Thanks smile.gif I´ll try to put up something tonight. I feel a bit sick (probably due to an unusual amount of partying this weekend) but nothing that should keep me from posting.
BTW, I appreciate the irish color, too biggrin.gif

Adamu
Last time I wanted to PM you the board didn´t work correctly, so I couldn´t even write a PM (or see your profile for that matter), but it was nothing important, IIRC what ever I wanted to send you (don´t know what it was anymore) has been dealt in OOC since.

Here´s another Etiquette roll for the waiting time. For fluff (I like to have some vague guidline how it goes, when doing fast forward IC) and to leave her with a better impression then she started with or at least not worst then her initial oppinion (if that´s possible with her mucho biase).
7 hits for that one. IC should follow tonight.

[ Spoiler ]
MK Ultra
Posted.
Conall can drop me off as soon as we´re back to civilization, where I could order a cab, so he can ride fast to get back to Etain´s side.
Dos Carla send us copies of the data? Any directives for next actions or are we going to meet up again right away, to discuss the data?
If he get´s a copy of the vid, John will voice preference to meet up again tomorrow, when he had some time to analyze and search for new data.
BlueRondo
Carla hasn't sent any orders beyond "get out of there" yet. If Krait doesn't call Carla at all, then I'll have her send him some instructions.

I assume Conall will be coming right home, so she'll talk to him then.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)

P.S.: We have used Business (Finances) as a complementary skill with all haggling rolls for purchases and sales before. Want to change that? I didn´t buy the specialization at chargen for that purpose, so it´s no disadventage for me if you chose to use it no longer.

MK - I am sorry. I totally forgot to answer this question.

The answer is, yes, we should change it. I am sorry I didn't catch it before. Business is fine as a complementary skill to all monetary negotiations. But to apply the specialization of Finance all the time - well, it wouldn't be a Specialization anymore. It would just be - Specialization: Money. Too broad.

Anything having to do with borrowing or lending or interest or raising capital will be applicable to your Finance specialization.
BlueRondo
*Gobble gobble*
Mister Juan
I KNOW! Big CRAP post. I just wanted to get everyone in the same space and time so we could push things forward wink.gif

We've got to find a woman people! Let's get it done!
adamu
No worries.

Getting everyone together in the same place is a GOOD thing to do, since the next step is completely up to you guys now.

If anyone doesn't want to all be together, they can just leave, so it's no problem.
MK Ultra
I´ll be out of touch for the weekend and am fairly bussy today (why do all those people have their birthdays around this time?) - so I probably won´t be abled to post before next week.

PS: Got the same KP total, adamu.
MK Ultra
Buying hits for datasearch (matrix wide) on Dairi Baito Hires, should be done by the time we arrive at the flat.

Looking out for tails got 5 hits. I guess there will be a few neighborhood gang-boys keeping an eye on us...

Getting the door code from the IR-picture (also recording it for later analysis if necessary, off course). Contemporary infrared cameras have no trouble to do that trick with regular contemporary key-pads. Maybe the lock-rating would be a good negative modifire for my perception test, to simulate heated keys and other mechanisms to counter this kind of stuff. I did aply a distracted modifire, since I´m just giving the pad a glance, not staring at it for half a minute, other modifires would be your´s to apply. Got 6 hits.

Also throwing in another distracted perception roll, to see if I notice Carla´s synthetic hand - since she´s not waring a glove for the first time. Got 2 hits so I guess not nyahnyah.gif

[ Spoiler ]

Anyone who get´s online and ready to IC could start the debrifing - or dismiss John´s proposal. Otherwise I´ll start to address the general issues, once I have time to post. I´d also be ok to handle all of this OOC, since we have an IC mentioning a discussion being started. These issues will be the shedim involvememnt and communication protocolls as well as proposing to modify your coms to obscure your data-trail.
adamu
MK Ultra - your thing with the keypad is fine - but I don't think you can tell the ORDER the buttons were pressed (besides having seen the first one). But you can know if it involves the same digits originally received, or if Conall changed the code.

Mister Juan - did you change the code?

MK - you can find a write up on Dairi Baito Hires, or Baito Dairi Hires (I forget which way it goes) on the Down in the Gutter Wiki. You can get all that info from your search, plus the fact that they have larger busses, but no vans of the type in the video are registered to them.
Vegas
Question about Conall's current "apartment" at the church?

Are we talking a "real" type of apartment with separate rooms (livingroom, kitchen, bedroom, bath) or something more sparse, akin to a studio apartment where everything but the bathroom is in one open space?

Just trying to get everyone on the same page as for the "feeling" of the space. biggrin.gif
BlueRondo
From what I gathered, this is a pretty dinky little studio apartment - probably something like this:

http://www.esm.org/images/effic.jpg

(Not necessarily those dimensions or that configuration, but you get the idea.)

It's about a block down the road from the church.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (adamu)
Mister Juan - did you change the code?

Nope
adamu
Thanks so much for the visual, BR. I love that kind of stuff - so many possibilities for livening up these forum games that my computer illiteracy keeps me from making the most of.

One karma point for you.
Vegas
Thanks BR, that's what I was envisioning, but I wanted to be certain we were all on the same page, and wanted to properly gauge a reaction of Etain if people are talking about her like she's not in the room when she is smile.gif
MK Ultra
Hi chummers. My harddrive said fare well monday night. I´ll be back online once I´ve got a computer running again. sorry ...
frown.gif
BlueRondo
Oh dear, that's very unfortunate.

Good luck to you, MK.
MK Ultra
It´s working for now, though I haven´t realy done anything to fix it - hope it won´t break again, but at least I´ve got fresh backups of everything now.

I did an IC about the com-stuff I´d like to establish. I´d rather figure out the details in OOC but wanted to give everyone a chance for an IC reaction to the proposal. Basically it´s three points, two of which might not be accepted without discussion by everyone.

- pre-arrange com-frequencies, encryption codes and keys, so we can switch on the fly if our channels are compromized and also switch on a random pattern to defend against unnoticed eves-droppers (basically the way Wolverine Security did it at the Trade Fare).
In gameterms have enemies make a new decryption test after some time - fairly long time in uncrittical situations, short time during crittical situations or for hot information. The way I understand it, this should result in all team-communication to be covered by my (high-rating) encryption utility. Please tell me if you disagree, adamu and every "sender" has to have his own utility, while the "receiver" only needs the key (also sounds resonable to me, but in this case a decryption of each side of a conversation would have to take place separately) or if "sender" & "receiver" need a utility (basically setting the effective encryption to the lower of the two utilites´ratings; not very logical to me).

- rout all communication in critical situations (combat, infiltration, etc.) through my com (which is probably the most secure), as long as the coms are within reach. Of course contingency patterns should be prepaired, so other´s com´s could pick up when mine´s out or not around. Giving me user-access to the coms would also allow me to manage signal ranges and thus minimize vulnerability vs sniffers, but like below, not everyone might want that.
In game terms this should make the coms less vulneable to hacking (before being abled to break in, hacker would have to spoof my signature or that of the accessoires (contact lenses, etc.) first, since no other signals would be accepted). Again, is this as you understand the rules, adamu?

- modify all "bussynes coms" to transmit bogus-signatures, so tracking will be harder. Of course I´d have to take the coms with me for a night and maybe not everyone wants that - or at least backup and eraze all the data on the com before giving it to me.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
It´s working for now, though I haven´t realy done anything to fix it - hope it won´t break again, but at least I´ve got fresh backups of everything now.

ADAMU - glad your computer is okay. Funny that you have computer trouble before a big post on computer rules!

I did an IC about the com-stuff I´d like to establish. I´d rather figure out the details in OOC but wanted to give everyone a chance for an IC reaction to the proposal. Basically it´s three points, two of which might not be accepted without discussion by everyone.

- pre-arrange com-frequencies, encryption codes and keys, so we can switch on the fly if our channels are compromized and also switch on a random pattern to defend against unnoticed eves-droppers (basically the way Wolverine Security did it at the Trade Fare).
In gameterms have enemies make a new decryption test after some time - fairly long time in uncrittical situations, short time during crittical situations or for hot information. The way I understand it, this should result in all team-communication to be covered by my (high-rating) encryption utility. Please tell me if you disagree, adamu and every "sender" has to have his own utility, while the "receiver" only needs the key (also sounds resonable to me, but in this case a decryption of each side of a conversation would have to take place separately) or if "sender" & "receiver" need a utility (basically setting the effective encryption to the lower of the two utilites´ratings; not very logical to me).

ADAMU - the part about a pre-arranged pattern of frequency switching is doable. Someone simply needs to make an extended Electronic Warfare (2, 1 hour) test for EACH pattern (switch every minute, switch every day, whatever).
The game effect is the same as when you were in the porn fair -
For that reason, they all their comm gear automatically changes frequencies in unison according to a prearranged pattern every few minutes (there's probably a word for that, but I don't know what it is). Each time they do, you have to reacquire them, and then decrypt all over again.
. So your enemies will have to do the same if you get this set up. Note that this does NOT change the base Encryption rating, or get everyone else on Krait's Encryption rating. It simply makes them rescan and then redecrypt.

The base Encryption rating, per my reading of the BBB, is based on the Sender's rating. (Obviously we are talking about Intercepting Wireless Signals; once data is in a commlink, it is protected by that link's Encryption rating.) All the receiver needs, per the rules, is an authorization code (key). So to repeat, Encryption is based on rating of sender. Put another way, it is simply impossible for an inferior program (or a program limited by an inferior System rating) so send higher-rated Encryption.

- rout all communication in critical situations (combat, infiltration, etc.) through my com (which is probably the most secure), as long as the coms are within reach. Of course contingency patterns should be prepaired, so other´s com´s could pick up when mine´s out or not around. Giving me user-access to the coms would also allow me to manage signal ranges and thus minimize vulnerability vs sniffers, but like below, not everyone might want that.
In game terms this should make the coms less vulneable to hacking (before being abled to break in, hacker would have to spoof my signature or that of the accessoires (contact lenses, etc.) first, since no other signals would be accepted). Again, is this as you understand the rules, adamu?

ADAMU - this in no way protects you from Intercepting Wireless Signals. As for directly hacking individual commlinks, your plan to use your own commlink as a bottleneck could mostly work IF you modify the hardware of the other comms to (always, or upon the flick of a MANUAL switch) only accept signals from your comm. This would, of course, keep them from getting any ambient ARO or any other signals that you don't okay to be relayed to them - I would need to no your filtering protocols for that stuff.

I said MOSTLY work just because there are clever bad guys out there, so who knows what will happen. But it should basically work in theory, as long as people can live with the reception restrictions and don't mind the hardware mods.

- modify all "bussynes coms" to transmit bogus-signatures, so tracking will be harder. Of course I´d have to take the coms with me for a night and maybe not everyone wants that - or at least backup and eraze all the data on the com before giving it to me.

ADAMU - not sure how you want to do this. Are you talking about a hardware modification other than just using a Spoof utility?

Oh maaaan - make me actually read those darned matrix rules AGAIN - <<grumble grumble>>.

No, seriously, no worries at all (though you might not like all the answers).

Please note that the in-line rulings are based on my strict reading of the rules first and foremost, and then they are my own interpretations where I couldn't find a rule.

I am working off the premise that the rules system is less an attempt at realism, and more about playability and game balance. So questions of what is "realistic" are overridden by any rules I can find.

In any case, we all know the encryption rules in SR4 are radically NON-representative of real world encryption capabilities, so again see above = rules > realism.

Vegas
Ok.. I'm all about being paranoid n' stuff.. but it's gonna take a miracle for Etain to just hand over her comm that she just paid oodles of cash to be messed with. biggrin.gif

Plus at least in Etain's eyes the more important and pressing matters has to do with the fact they're being TARGETED by shedim and zombified people more so than potentially being followed/trailed/tracked by someone at this point... there's nothing that's happened (since she's been involved) to warrant such suspicious actions (and potentially forking over MORE cash)

just my $0.02
adamu
Vegas - that's some great stuff - don't waste it by leaving it in the OOC....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012