Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
MK Ultra
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 28 2008, 11:49 PM) *
Well, I WOULD have to dig into Unwired to find out if you can do this, but I won't have to right away since you obviously don't have enough hits to spoof this system, especially with the +2 threshhold on each retry rule.

See IC post.

Try Again (p. 59) usually inflicts a -2 dice pool modifire per re-try, which I included in my rolls, not a Threshold increase, but I´m sure the meager number of hits I scored won´t suffice anyway.

Just in case it will be needed, here are some rolls...

[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: Oh and have fun, of course wink.gif
Jack Robustus
adamu as you can tell by my last IC post, Jack has made a few assumptions regarding what he is going to see when he opens that restroom door. His plan (loaded with horrible die rolls) based on those assumptions is contained in the spoiler. I must say that switching back to Jack from my wildly successful missions character was kind of a let down.

[ Spoiler ]

At which point I will have emptied my clip or be dead/incapcitated anyway.

I know my spoiler is based on my own wild assumption that Naguel is acting alone and trying to recover his bike. If circumstances are really different, let me know so I can adjust my actions.
adamu
Okay - very very sorry for the delay. I know I am two days behind my stated schedule. Believe it or not, as I stepped out the door last night to go to the accursed Internet hovel, I locked myself out of my house. By the time I had managed to spend a fortune getting back inside, it was after midnight and the online sweatshop I post from was long closed.

But here we are!

BR - your IC post is up.

MJ - I remain supportive of ideas to develop your ability to disarm people with firearms. As you know, Arsenal rules are only for melee. A careful look in the BBB showed me that that is probably because the Called Shot rules already explain the exact procedure for doing what you want to do (and FYI, the way I read that rule, your disarming attack should do normal damage to your opponent).
If you want to propose a martial art style or appropriate modification to another martial art such as Firefight or Krav Maga that gives you bonuses on doing this particular move, let me know.

JR - I have your rolls. I feel as speechless as if addressing someone whose loved one had just passed. I have had some really abysmal dice luck on this board, but still I feel for you.
In any case, the chips will fall where they will.
But before I resolve anything, there is the question of whether your Edge refreshes.
I had already decided to leave it up to you and MK - yes, the team's Edge could reasonably refresh now...but then your opponent(s?)'s Edge will as well.
Your call.
Another very important point - you have been forgetting the two dice for your smartlink on all six of your shots - could make a huge difference - especially since the law of averages owes you about ten sixes. (Hey remember that one time we were playing table-top and you needed three sixes on three dice not to get killed - most miraculous die roll I have ever seen! Maybe karma is coming back at you in a dish served cold...)
And one more thing - you won't need a simple action to look for the grenade - it's pretty obvious.

I will put up a brief, nothing-resolved IC post now. You are obviously not surprised, since you are acting. He also is not surprised.
adamu
MK - sorry about the Re-try rules mistake - but you are right - it wouldn't have mattered either way.

If you have some actions to go with those rolls you gave me, let me know. With Jack having spoken to you and with your great senses and also the small size of the bathroom, assume you know everything Jack knows.
Jack Robustus
@adamu Yeah, I felt kind of short. I just haven't "played" Jack in so long that I forgot all of the little details. I think I'll put together a cheat sheet for him just like I did for Le Grocier Noir. That was damn helpful at the con. So here are some more rolls for you, adding 2 dice to each shot, in order:

1) [6] 4; 1
2) 2 2
3) [6] 1;
4) [6] [6]
5) 1 2
6) [5] 4

Now that I've read the IC, just how far away is Naguel? My impression was that the grenade had already been tossed and was resting up against the door. If he hasn't even tossed it yet that completely changes the tone of the encounter.

You know I'm not a do over player, and I've no intention of changing my firearms rolls, but my entire first and second passes were dedicated to dealing with the grenade and spotting Naguel. My overall intention is to still kill the bastard any way I can. But if the grenade is not even by the door and I can see him already, those first two passes really don't make any sense. So what do you say?

@MK Ultra the edge question. I'll be blunt, after the bar my character only has 1 point left. Depending on how adamu rules on my do-over question, I'll have that point of edge for my first firearms roll or I'll be wasting it on useless evasive manaveurs.

If adamu rules in my favor, I'll get to use edge for that roll but all it will mean is that I still only get one hit (from my additional smartlink dice). If he grants the do-over and we choose to refresh our pools then I will get to use edge on my third shot as well. That means I will get to roll three more dice on that roll and re-roll the 6 from my smartlink dice.

On each of my odd numbered shots I have taken called shot with a +4DV modifier. My original posting was made with the assumption that the pools had refreshed. I used edge on full defense, and my first two shots.

Given current circumstances, I would use edge on my first three shots.

Any advantage having full edge gives us will be negated by his full edge. If you would rather they were not refreshed so that Naguel's pool is also shot then that is fine, my die rolls for this encounter are so bad it probably won't matter anyway.

It's your call MK Ultra

adamu
Jack - I know very well you are not trying for a do-over.

Furthermore, I am totally willing to be flexible on your "acting without the full story" thing, because I have said many times it is better for players to forge ahead and not wait for permission from other players or GM for every move they make. 90% of the time it is fine and we move faster. The other 10%, it is easy to fix, like now.

So, the rolls you have made to now are made, sucky though some of them are. I was glad to see some solid percentages out of those smartlink rolls.

In the interests of fairness, I will tell you where things stood before all this confusion:
You said your attack on the grenade was a melee attack. I took that to mean we were on the same page - that you knew he was still holding the grenade. Now I see you meant melee in game terms vs. loose grenade.
In any case, with your four hits and high strength, I had already resolved that you kicked the thing out of his hand, and the scatter roll was favorable. So you can go with that if you want.

Another thing was that I realized, while watching the new Vin Diesel movie this evening (one of the best SR movies I've ever seen - though far from a cinematic masterpiece), that while I had told you you didn't need the simple action for seeing the grenade, I also determined that the no-one-surprised initiative took place from the moment the door opened. So that frees up your other simple action from the first pass.
So the way things stood before all this confusion, I was just going to shift all your actions one pass forward.

That's where we were before you noted the confusion.

So, you can keep it as it was - kicking the grenade out of his hand in the FIRST pass, and going with your declared actions from there
OR
You can redeclare your actions, inserting all the same die rolls in the same order. In the spirit of keeping the die rolls - if you and MK decide to refresh Edge, I must bind you to the uses you already rolled.
If you and MK decide to go with your remaining Edge, you can redeclare your remaining point, and then lop those extra dice off your existing rolls.

Another note - need soak rolls from you.

So now we are waiting on MK to (A) decide on Edge and (B) declare some actions to go with his rolls
and then for JR to (A) make soak rolls and (B) finalize declarations.

Sorry about all the confusion - I hope this clears things up in a fair manner.
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (adamu @ Sep 3 2008, 12:38 PM) *
So, you can keep it as it was - kicking the grenade out of his hand in the FIRST pass, and going with your declared actions from there

What you need from me (A) see my PM. (B) I'll go with the quote, since it gets the grenade away from us, gets Jack shooting quicker, and makes for a pretty cool looking scene.
MK Ultra
Havn´t read up on the IC, yet and no time to post actions till tonight, but about the Edge thing, I feel like John didn´t really have time to breath since the fight at DD, but IIRC, I also didn´t spent any Edge there (have to check my notes at home). IIRC, the last time Edge refreshed was after we cleared the Shedim scene and everyone had some time to rest, I had spend all my Edge back then, but I don´t think I spend Edge since.

So, not really knowing how much Edge I have left at the moment, my vote would go for not refreshing, yet.
Mister Juan
Heya everyone! Just a quick message to let you all know that I am NOT dead wink.gif My boss decided to quit this week (not the big big big boss... just the guy who ran our team), so I've sorta inherited a lot of work. That and did I mentioned I decided, like a damn fool, that going back to school would be a good idea? wink.gif So yea, I've been sorta crumbling under stuff these past two weeks. I should have things under control soon. I just need to settle myself in the rythm of things and I should do fine.

I've got a post mostly written down in my little "post" notebook. I just need to sit down and write it up on the computer. In theory, I should be able to do so either tonight, or tomorrow afternoon.

@Adamu
When I can sit down with Arsenal in front of me, I'll try to figure something out. I believe that Wildcat gives you like a +1 or something for called shots.... but it's for ALL called shots.
BlueRondo
Congratulations on your "inheritance" MJ. Keep your head above the water.
Jack Robustus
So MK Ultra voted not to refresh edge and I'm down with that. Since Jack is not spending edge to go on full defense and clear the smoke. I would like his last point of edge to apply to his first shot at Naguel.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
Okay - things at the Fortress of Putritude clarifying. I will wait 24 for MK to get his actions up, then we dive into resolution one way or another.

MJ - great to hear from you. Note that while a lot is happening to the other players, not much in the way of external stimuli for you and Vegas.
That is mostly just how the story goes, but it also has to do with (1) Vegas not posting much at all these days, and (2) you saying you wanted to do a dream thing.

Vegas - if you are out there, I personally hope you are still with us. Very much hope. And if you are around, we will make sure to keep things interesting for your character - both you elves are just dripping with plot hooks, in addition, of course, to the primary adventure.
You are missed as a role-player and as a tactical asset for the team.
However, if your break continues, no worries - as a budding bliss-freak, it is easy enough to keep you high in the apartment.
MK Ultra
Allright, so, I didn´t spend Edge since the Shedim Fight, so if it refreshed since (which I belive is the case, but am not sure about), my Edge will be max., no matter what. If it didn´t refresh after the shedim encounter, it´ll be 0 if we decide not to refresh since the bar-fight (which I´d still vote for). Just need to know which it is.

All the rolls I made where not meant for any special action, but just in case you needed them, i.e. to resist social skill use.

I´ll spend a free action scanning for the Smartgun node (automatic success unless hidden, in that case 4 hits on E-War + Scan, which should be sufficient, p. 225).

If I find it (which I should unless the gun´s wifi is switched off), I´ll start hacking it on the fly for a standard account (p. 221, Hacking+Exploit (Firewall, 1 Initiative Pass), 5 hits for the first pass (node (not controlling comlink) makes Analyze+Firewall (Stealth, which is 3) Extended Test to detect me.

If I don´t find the Smartgun node, I´ll spend an action to observe in detail - checking Naguel for any other possibly wireless items I might exploit (Glasses, earbuds, granades, drug-patches, Detonation caps, whatever) -6 hits- and then scan for the node of the potentially most desruptive/dangerous one (and again find it with 4 hits, even if it´s hidden).

Since I assume, I am considdered to be in combat, I probably won´t have another Free Action for multitasking, but In case I do, I´ll use it for trying to find cover.

[ Spoiler ]

Tired, but happy smile.gif
MK Ultra
16 minutes, that´s less then 24 biggrin.gif

Could you give us a description of the restroom in terms of size/layout/possible cover. As I understand the only way in or out is pretty much blocked by Jack & Naguel, but I don´t know if there´s room enough inside, to take cover behind the bike or beside the door.

EDIT: Second Blue´s best wishes for you, MJ and Adamu´s hope for you being around and well, Vegas!
Jack Robustus
@adamu I would have posted this hours ago but my computer and I haven't been seeing eye to eye. Happily I wrote down my rolls and can now post during my work break.

[ Spoiler ]

My vote is not to refresh the edge pools. Diminished edge for Naguel can only work in our favor. smile.gif

@MK Ultra the restroom is a simple rectangle about 1.5 meters wide, 3 meters long, and 2.5 meters to the ceiling. It is constructed of painted cinderblocks. Parked midway back against one long wall is the bike. On the other long wall in this order working back from the door are: 1 freestanding metal trashcan, 1 cloth roll towel cabinet, 1 sink, 1 wall mounted toilet paper dispenser and 1 floor mounted toilet. The bike and the toilet are probably your best hiding options, since the door is fully open at this point.
adamu
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Sep 4 2008, 09:09 PM) *
@MK Ultra the restroom is a simple rectangle about 1.5 meters wide, 3 meters long, and 2.5 meters to the ceiling. It is constructed of painted cinderblocks. Parked midway back against one long wall is the bike. On the other long wall in this order working back from the door are: 1 freestanding metal trashcan, 1 cloth roll towel cabinet, 1 sink, 1 wall mounted toilet paper dispenser and 1 floor mounted toilet. The bike and the toilet are probably your best hiding options, since the door is fully open at this point.

Hell yeah - works for me - saves me heaps o' typing. Thanks Jack.
adamu
Okay - Edge did not refresh after bar. It did refresh way back at the shedim fight. So MK has all his Edge. Jack has one.

First Round

First IP

Jack kicks grenade out of Naguel's hand and down the alley.
Naguel readies Ingram Smargun X and tries to pull back out of melee. Jack is entitled to Intercept, but I rolled and he misses/Naguel dodges.
Naguel fires anyway, but can't get a good shot/can't beat Jack's reaction roll.
Krait scans and scans - all he can find are the two commlinks he found back at the bar.

Second IP (Jack, your OOC declaration was to spend two simple actions looking for other threats, but your subsequently posted IC has you immediately shooting - I went with most recent info and assumed you skipped the perceptions - you can keep those good rolls if you choose other perception tests in this scene.)

Jack shoots for the head twice (actually, ensuing three passes are really just 6 shots pumped off rapidly), only grazing Naguel.
Naguel returns fire in a succession of controlled bursts. Armor piercing rounds shred Jack's suit and kevlar vest - after dodge and soak, Jack takes a total of 6P damage. No knockdown.
(At this point, and concurrent with Jack's reaction/dodge rolls, I assume he takes what slight cover the doorway offers. In other words - the most he can get without hurting his declaration of shooting.)

Third IP
Jack keeps shooting, missing and then hitting Naguel in the neck. Naguel does not go down.

Second Round

First IP
Jack keeps shooting, emptying clip. Another graze and palatable shot into face.
Naguel still up, but running, trying to cover face, and spraying behind him. Those APDS rounds....wild shot still tags Jack for another 3P after soak.

Need Krait's Second Round.

Need subsequent passes for Jack.

Since there are only three people (that we know of), we are back to my usual style of letting players IC their own combat. You can do so now or wait until we see more resolution.
Jack Robustus
eek.gif Great! only 3 boxes of physical damage to go dead.gif

Jack's actions are:

2nd IP
Movement: step back into doorway and flatten against wall to put as much door jam between Jack and the incoming APDS as possible, while reloading. Then step back out to fire.
FA-eject clip
SA- insert clip
SA- Take aim

3rd IP
FA-Called shot (back of the head) +4DV
SA- fire weapon (Skill + Agility + Smartlink + take aim = 11 -3 wound - 4 Called shot = 4 dice)
3 1 1 3 (fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!)
SA - fire weapon [5] [6] [6] [6] 3 [6] 1 (assuming I still have a weapon after my glitch)

Initiative: [5] [6] 3 4 1 [5] [5] 2 = 12 3p (If he lives this long)

1st IP
SA- Take aim
SA- fire weapon [5] 2 3 4 = 1 hit

2nd IP
SA- Take aim
SA- fire weapon [6] 2 [6] [5] = 3 hits

3rd IP
SA- Take aim
SA- fire weapon 3 4 [6] [6]

Defense and soak rolls in spoiler:
[ Spoiler ]

Did I mention the next time Jack comes to town he's bring his assault rifle ork.gif. and his next shopping trip is going to include an armored jacket. smile.gif

I'll post IC tomorrow. dead.gif

MK Ultra
Ini 11

Free
Switch to full VR. If I didn´t have the free action to search for cover behind the bike last round, I´ll simply drop to the ground while switching - asuming that I can do so in a controlled manner without hurting myself as precedented by Kaithy when she encountered the mafia guys in the night-club all the way back at the beginning) - if that´s not possible, I´ll need to spend another Free Action, to crouch behind the bike. In case I have to do that, I´ll use my remaining simple action to send a message to our team and start the hacking next round.

Complex
Hacking on the Fly for regular account on Naguel´s lesser comlink (which had Rating 3/3 when I scanned it). I don´t know if you prefer me to use my previous roll originally meant for the smartgun (which was 5 hits) or make a new one (6 hits), either way, I should gain access in 1 IP (unless the com is on active alert, gaining a +4 to Firewall, which would be odd, since I didn´t try to hack it before). The com can roll Analyze + Firewall (Stealth (3)) once, to detect me, if it is running an Analyze program for that purpose.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
Rest of 1st IP - Krait punches through the firewall on the R3 commlink while hiding behind the twisted wreck of the bike.

2nd IP
Jack reloads, Naguel sprays - but APDS is designed to go through kevlar, not cinderblock. Naguel still running for end of alley - he'll make it by end of round.

3rd IP
Jack's gun jams. Simple action to clear.
Naguel around corner.
You can keep the bitchin' roll if you end up firing again in THIS SCENE.

With Naguel out of site, you will probably want to adjust your declaration for next round. You'll probably also want a bigger picture of your surroundings.

Behind the filling station, there is a fenced-off area to right of bathroom door. To the left there is a very short alley out to street - but it is now filled with neurostun gas - it hits Jack like a hammer across the bridge of the nose, but too far away for game effect.
Shorter, Naguel was starting to head that way when he got shot in the face, whick screwed his gas mask. The only other way away is a longer alley leading directly away from the back of the gas station to the next street over. He has gone to the end of that and broken left.

So basically, the most important terrain to be clear on is:
To right of door - fence.
To left - gas filled alley.
Perpendicular to back of filling station - 40 m alley filled with dumpsters and old crates, and occasional traffic passing by at the end of it.
Jack Robustus
Jack, or what's left of him, will definitely pursue. To gain ground he will sprint through the dumpster riddled alley.

4 4 3 4 1 3 = 0 hits. I guess he's too wounded to sprint.

He will turn left at the end of the alley and make a perception check to find Naguel at which time he will continue firing his weapon.

Let me know if you need more rolls at this point. You know Jack's goal. Kill that sum'bitch.
Mister Juan
@Adamu
Alright! There we go! Phew! That was a long post to rewrite from my notebook (which makes me think... I need a smaller one...)
So... I dunno if you want this post to count as Conall initiation. If yes, I'll take that metamagic we cooked up earlier. If you don't have the specs for it anymore, just say so and I'll PM them back to you. Anything else you'd allow me to spend karma on? wink.gif
Mister Juan
@Adamu
Unless you have some objection, Conall is going to try to find some sort of "food" store in the neighborhood. His plan is to get some food for Etain and himself.
He'll also place call to Mr.Chu, concerning a purchase he'd like to make.
Jack Robustus
@Mister Juan That was a great IC post!
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Sep 7 2008, 11:58 PM) *
@Mister Juan That was a great IC post!

Thanks wink.gif I try to make up for my silence nyahnyah.gif
MK Ultra
In deed an outstanding Post, Mister Juan, very cool!

Adamu, could you please give me some guidlines for the node - unless you want to describe it IC, that is.
Also, I am asuming that as soon as a conection between the node and my com is established (once I am loged in), the signal will automatically be bounced off other nodes in the wifi mash, in case the nodes move out of each other´s signal range, as long as bouncing nodes are available. Please tell me if that is not the case and I need to take special precautions for that situation.

Next Rounds actions:

Full VR Matrix Ini: 16 (2 IPs)

1st IP
Complex Action: Log In on Naguel´s R3/3 Comlink (p. 220). In case you understand the rules in such a way, that this action is already included in the hacking on the3 fly – since it also is initiated with a complex action and as per your rule the account can not be saved for later use – just put the 2nd IP´s simple actions here.
Free Action:
Free Action:

2nd IP
Simple Action: Matrix Perception: Analyze Node (Analyze+Computer), p. 217, buying 3 hits), to learn Alert Status, List of subscribed devices and if a Databomb program is running on the node (this should only tell me if the program is running at all, not on which files it is aplyed).
Simple Action: Matrix Perception: Set Analyze utility to automatically and continuously scan and detect other users/icons on the node, p. 217. I´d usually buy 3 hits, as allways, but if you want to make it more flexible, I can put up some rolls or you can do them (dice pool would be 12)
Free Action: Depending on results, I might want to swap linked device´s modes.
Free Action: As above.

If 1st IP´s log on action was not necessary, I´d probably start a datasearch in 2nd IP, to either find Security Log Files (if I detected a system alert) or otherwise the Account Data Files. Data Search + Brows, extended, 1 IP (p. 220), buying 2 hits per IP.

[ Spoiler ]

adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Sep 7 2008, 12:58 AM) *
@Adamu
Alright! There we go! Phew! That was a long post to rewrite from my notebook (which makes me think... I need a smaller one...)
So... I dunno if you want this post to count as Conall initiation. If yes, I'll take that metamagic we cooked up earlier. If you don't have the specs for it anymore, just say so and I'll PM them back to you. Anything else you'd allow me to spend karma on? wink.gif

Cool post. Yes, as I said it would, it counts as an initiation (except for the karma, but you've got plenty of that!).

I still have all the PMs where we worked out the metamagic. Problem is, the final details are spread over about three different messages. It would really help me if you sent me a new PM with the final version, including Drain, powers, limitation and attributes, so that I can have it all in one place and there is no confusion.

Aside from being able to initiate, all my usual karma-spending rules apply, per the first post of this thread. There are a number of ways I will let you justify a karma expenditure, including being able to raise anything you have been using under stress/in combat, anything that your IC posts have shown you working on over time, and anything that is completely untrainable, like Edge. You've got plenty of points - spend them or die wishing you had!!!
adamu
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Sep 6 2008, 09:15 PM) *
Jack, or what's left of him, will definitely pursue. To gain ground he will sprint through the dumpster riddled alley.

4 4 3 4 1 3 = 0 hits. I guess he's too wounded to sprint.

He will turn left at the end of the alley and make a perception check to find Naguel at which time he will continue firing his weapon.

Let me know if you need more rolls at this point. You know Jack's goal. Kill that sum'bitch.

Jack, well, shot in the face and the neck, and with his bell rung by some grazing shots to the head as well, our friend is not running a lot better than you. But he has a full-block lead.

It will be two combat rounds until you get to the first corner, and then much will depend on your new initiative.

You've got plenty of time to roll it, cuz now we have two rounds of Krait hacking.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Sep 8 2008, 02:23 PM) *
Adamu, could you please give me some guidlines for the node - unless you want to describe it IC, that is.
Also, I am asuming that as soon as a conection between the node and my com is established (once I am loged in), the signal will automatically be bounced off other nodes in the wifi mash, in case the nodes move out of each other´s signal range, as long as bouncing nodes are available. Please tell me if that is not the case and I need to take special precautions for that situation.

ADAMU - it is a bare-bones UMS node. A bunch of options are in menus on the walls. But when I say a bunch, that doesn't mean there is a lot in here. I mean, even a mid-range Browse program offers hundreds of options to a node's user. But you are not seeing anything much more sophisticate than that at a glance.

Next Rounds actions:

Full VR Matrix Ini: 16 (2 IPs)

1st IP
Complex Action: Log In on Naguel´s R3/3 Comlink (p. 220). In case you understand the rules in such a way, that this action is already included in the hacking on the3 fly – since it also is initiated with a complex action and as per your rule the account can not be saved for later use – just put the 2nd IP´s simple actions here.
Free Action:
Free Action:

ADAMU - yeah, this is already done.

2nd IP
Simple Action: Matrix Perception: Analyze Node (Analyze+Computer), p. 217, buying 3 hits), to learn Alert Status, List of subscribed devices and if a Databomb program is running on the node (this should only tell me if the program is running at all, not on which files it is aplyed).

ADAMU - No alert. Shades w/imagelink, earbuds are subscribed. There are sockets for incoming connections, but they appear closed. No databomb.

Simple Action: Matrix Perception: Set Analyze utility to automatically and continuously scan and detect other users/icons on the node, p. 217. I´d usually buy 3 hits, as allways, but if you want to make it more flexible, I can put up some rolls or you can do them (dice pool would be 12)

ADAMU - cool, nothing so far.

Free Action: Depending on results, I might want to swap linked device´s modes.
Free Action: As above.

ADAMU - go ahead if you want.

If 1st IP´s log on action was not necessary, I´d probably start a datasearch in 2nd IP, to either find Security Log Files (if I detected a system alert) or otherwise the Account Data Files. Data Search + Brows, extended, 1 IP (p. 220), buying 2 hits per IP.

ADAMU - account data files - now you are talking over my head. I will tell you that your Browse turns up low-rated Scan, Edit, Browse and Analyze programs, as well as an ID/SIN with driver's license for - dammit - the name is in a PM - I'll stick it in later. If there is something else you are supposed to get with "account data files," you get it - just tell me what it is.

[ Spoiler ]

That finishes the turn. You have at least one more before anything else happens.

Name on the ID is Gabriel Victor. There are addresses and age and all that stuff.
Mister Juan
@Adamu
I'll PM you a karma expenditure message either tonight or tomorrow.
You can already tick off 11 karma for the initiation
MK Ultra
Sorry to be unclear, what I menat by Account Data Files was the File holding User Access Account Data for the comlink, so I could Edit them, to install Admin Access Backdoors. Anyway, I´ll use the next rounds 2 IPs to find that file and Edit it to establish a new hidden Admin Account or two.

In case it matters, my Ini for that Round would be 15. 3 hits for the Editing (Hacking+Edit, p. 225).

Ini of 15 for the next round, as well (when Jack should reach the corner).

1st IP in that round, Ill search for the Log Files.

2nd IP, Edit Log Files (Hacking+Edit, 4 hits, p. 225), as if I´ve never been there (safe for the back door accounts, of course).

I asumed the datasearches are Easy (TH 2) on this cheap standard system, so each would be done with in one IP.

[ Spoiler ]
BlueRondo
Adamu

Carla sleeps and, assuming no interruptions, heads for the clinic the next morning as usual. Feel free to jump Carla up ahead in the timeline if you have to. If not, I'll do another IC post for her tomorrow.
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (adamu @ Sep 8 2008, 01:10 PM) *
Jack, well, shot in the face and the neck, and with his bell rung by some grazing shots to the head as well, our friend is not running a lot better than you. But he has a full block lead

Well adamu I will bet that Naguel did not miss the opportunity to make 2 running checks per IP. Ah well, live and learn.

Jack's initiative: [5] [5] [6] 3 2 1 2 3 = 11 (3p)
adamu
MK - no problem, you have edited backdoors onto the commlink.

Beginning of next round - Jack wins initiative. It's enough to see that your friend takes another left around the next corner, but not enough to squeeze off a shot. He's about 50 meters ahead of you now.

Actions from ork and elf please.
MK Ultra
As stated above, searching for security logs and editing them or did I miss a Round? smile.gif
Jack Robustus
@adamu you mentioned in an earlier post that Jack could see occasional passerbys at the end of the alley. How much and what type of traffic is out here?

Jack will continue to chase Naguel. He will make sprint checks every simple action available until he can get a shot off. I am hoping the successes are cumulative.

1st Pass
SA--sprint--[6] 2 1 4 2 4 = 1 hit (+2 meters to move rate)
SA--sprint--[6] 1 3 3 3 4 = 1 hit (+2 meters to move rate)

2nd Pass
SA--sprint--[5] 2 11 4 2 = 1 hit (+2 meters to move rate)
SA--sprint--[5] [5] [5] [6] 4 4 = 4 hits (+8 meters to move rate)

3rd Pass
SA--sprint--[6] 1 [6] [5] 1 2 = 3 hits (+6 meters to move rate)
SA--sprint-- [5] 3 1 3 3 [5] = 2 hits (+4 meters to move rate)

If the rolls are cumulative this should put Jack pretty close to the corner.

Since Naguel seems to be two combat turns ahead of Jack here is another initiative roll and set of actions. The extreme range on Jack's pistol is 60 meters. If he can close to within that distance and take a shot, he will, since his eye mods make all ranges short.

Initiative--[6] [6] [6] 2 [6] 4 [5] 1 = 13 (3p)

1st pass
SA--observe in detail to spot the bad guy
SA--sprint--4 4 3 3 1 1

2nd pass
SA--sprint-- 2 2 [6] [5] [5] 1 = 3 hits (+6 meters to move rate)
SA--sprint--[5] 2 3 1 2 3 = 1 hit (+2 meters to move rate)

3rd pass
SA--sprint--[5] 2 3 1 4 3 =1 hit (+2 meters to move rate)
SA--sprint--[6] 1 3 3 2 2 =1 hit (+2 meters to move rate)

Once Jack gets a chance to shoot he will forgo sprinting and ready weapon and fire.
MK Ultra
That IC made me chuckle 'if I was chasing me' rotfl.gif
Jack Robustus
@MK Ultra let's hope adamu agrees with your assessment of the IC.

On a more serious note, you'll notice that our opponent has turned left twice. This could mean he's trying to circle the block and get to the bike in the hope that nobody is now defending it. Or he knows you're there and is looking for a chance to take you out while the serious combat opposition is distracted.

At any rate, you might want to give serious thought to how Krait will handle the reappearance of our friend in about 4 combat turns or less.

If things go well, Jack will dispatch him before that is a worry.
adamu
Jack, with all those sprint successes (yes, they are cumulative in the sense that each one adds the specified number of meters to your base move rate for the combat turn), you make it to the second left after just the first pass of the second combat turn.

At that point, your friend is a mere 35 meters ahead of you, and you won't need any simple action to spot him - especially since you have already anticipated his course - instead of breaking off into any alleys or whatever might be available, he is making a beeline for the THIRD left. Somewhat clever of him, and more clever of you.

Note pp137 and 141 - magnification is not as liberal in SR4 as in previous editions - for one thing, you have to use a Take Aim action to make it work. But since you eliminated the need for the Perception test...

So you take your shot at what is effectively close range with time enough to even running and make it count (with all those successes from the next roll in your dice lineup). You put a hollow point through the back of his head and he's down, skidding face (what's left of it)-first down the sidewalk.

MK - my bad on the editing your intrusion record out - I meant to tell you that was done successfully as well, but I just forgot to type it.
In any case, we are off initiative now, and you can do whatever you want with his commlinks or whatever else.

Jack - you asked about the traffic - just occasional passing motorists. No one stops when you shoot the guy.
If you make a Perception test for witnesses or further threats, the rolls for that which you have waiting in the wings are successful enough to make you think that maybe the coast is clear - although of course it is always impossible to fully verify the absence of anything.
Jack Robustus
Great googly, moogly! smokin.gif

Jack will hustle up to Naguel and do a quick but cautious check to make sure he is dead. After that is verified, he will pull him into the nearest alley and hide behind a dumpster.

He will then pull up his mapsoft to determine the quickest, least noticeable way back to the squatter's den without going through the gas.

Then he will carry or drag Naguel back to the Fortress of Putritude and assist Krait with looting the spoils.

@MK Ultra now you can give serious consideration of how you want to despoil the personal effects of our erstwhile adversary. I figure Krait will have a keen interest in his commlink and other electronic doo dads. Jack will want dibs on any safely salvageable combat gear.
MK Ultra
Nice fight!

Planing IC for tonight..

I was about to give Jack a call, to ask if he needed a distraction - and flood the imagelink&earbuds with noise in that case. Once he knows that the hunt is over (though I´ll caution Jack not to discuss the matter further on the com) I will start scanning/decrypting/intercepting local Lonestar freequences, to find out if the fight drew their attention. Rolls for that upcomming tonight, as well.
Mister Juan
@Adamu
Question concerning learning new spells: do we need to purchase some sort of formula?
Jack Robustus
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Sep 11 2008, 01:41 AM) *
Nice fight!

Planing IC for tonight..

I was about to give Jack a call, to ask if he needed a distraction - and flood the imagelink&earbuds with noise in that case. Once he knows that the hunt is over (though I´ll caution Jack not to discuss the matter further on the com) I will start scanning/decrypting/intercepting local Lonestar freequences, to find out if the fight drew their attention. Rolls for that upcomming tonight, as well.

No need to ask if Jack needs help of that sort. An opponent that can't see or hear properly is a gift. I can't wait for the combat where we actually pull off something like that. smile.gif Let's face it, Jack would never have answered his commlink during a chase scene like that. He's spending every action on bagging the bad guy.

By the time you do call, he will be more than happy to answer. If you plan to IC the conversation, here are some suggestions for Jack's dialogue:

[ Spoiler ]

I am waiting on adamu to reply to my most recent OoC before posting Jack's triumphant return to the Fortress of Putritude. Scenes like this always make me think of the end of the last fight in the film The Professioal, "Stansfield, this is for Mathilda." KABOOOOM. After all of this, I don't want Jack to go KABOOOOM. wink.gif
MK Ultra
Ok, here we go
Scan for Lone Star Frequencies (presumably hidden), Detect wireless node (p. 225), E-War + Scan (TH 4) 4 hits.
Decrypt (p. 225), Response + Decrypt (Encrypt x 2, 1 CT) buying 2 hits/CT to a max of 16 hits in 8 CTs.
Intercept Wireless Signals (p. 225), E-War + Sniffer (TH 3) 4 hits, good Agent smile.gif
[ Spoiler ]
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Sep 11 2008, 07:17 AM) *
@Adamu
Question concerning learning new spells: do we need to purchase some sort of formula?

See PM.
adamu
Jack - one look at the corpse and, in your professional opinion, it is indeed a corpse.
You can get it into an alley easily enough, and using your GPS as declared you will have no trouble staying off busy streets on your way back to the Fortress.

MK - you intercept the local Lone Star chatter. Once Decrypted, there is sometimes the problem of understanding their jargon. Still, you don't detect any mention of shooting or trouble or your address. If you really want to be sure, you can roll English (high threshhold) or Police Procedures (etc) for a low threshhold.

I think that catches me up on all the latest questions.
Jack Robustus
Jack will pick up the corpse and carry it back to the restroom using the GPS planned route. Once there he will greet Krait, and the division of spoils may commence. I am sure you have anticipated the next question: what salvageable equipment does Naguel have on his person?
adamu
Sorry for the recent silence. Computer troubles. BUT.....I am now, after four long months, fully and really online at home!!! <does dance around room>

So - in answer to Jack's question:

Clearly you have a ruined-beyond-repair Suzuki Mirage. Presumably there are high-value gew-gaws that may be recoverable, but we can't talk about those until you successfully salvage them.

I am also not going to delve into whether there are implants until such point is successfully investigated and so on.

As for what he is carrying, the following list is obviously edited in places - some things you will easily figure out, so I just left it in. Others will take more work. So this is the "what you can see you've got in two minutes" list.

Novatech Airware

Meta Link

Meta Link

Handheld Sensor
+ Laser Microphone (Rating 6)
+ Radio Signal Scanner (Rating 6)

Handheld Sensor
+ Cyberware Scanner (Rating 6)
+ MAD Scanner (Rating 3)

5 Micro Sensors w/ Camera
5 Micro Sensors w/ Motion Sensor

Plastic Restraints 10
Autopicker (Rating 6)
Cellular Glove Molder (Rating 3)
Sequencer (Rating 6)
Climbing Gear
100 m Microwire
4 Nanopaste Disguise (Small Container)
500m Stealth Rope
Interesting Gloves
Keycard Copier

Armor Jacket

Monofilament Whip
Shock Gloves

Ceska Black Scorpion
+Sound Suppressor
+Internal Smartlink System w/ skinlink
+RFID maintenance Stealth Tag
+ 70 Gel Rounds in 2 clips
+35 Regular rounds in 1 clip

Ingram Smartgun X
*Internal Smartlink system +Skinlink
*Gasvent 2
*Sound Supressor
+ RFID maintenance Stealth Tag
+64 APDS Rounds in 2 Clips (- 12 rounds)
+32 Ex-Explosive rounds in 1 Clip

5 Tranq Patch (Rating 10)
2 Biomonitor
10 Disposable Syringes
1 Medkit (Rating 6)
3 Gamma-Scopolamine doses
1 pair cool shades w/ imagelink
1 pair earbuds
1 gasmask
100 Standard RFID Tags
40 Security RFID Tags
40 Stealth RFID Tags
Electronics tool kit
Hardware tool kit

MK Ultra
Congrats to your computational victory smile.gif

Wow, that´s a lot of stuff - too bad there is no tag-erazer coming along with it (oh, but of cours that would be illegal ;-P).
Jack Robustus
Damn! No wonder Jack outran this guy spin.gif

Let me guess, a skinlink is jargon for a biometric that only allows the owner to use a weapon?

That's fine, Jack owns enough guns anyway.

Jack takes a good look at the strange gloves. Are they gecko climbing gloves or something else. Let me know if you need a roll on that and don't forget that he has athletics, which includes climbing. Unless they are AR gloves. Just shooting in the dark here. Let us know what to roll.

@MK Ultra if you have no objections, Jack would like the following items for sure:

Climbing Gear
100 m Microwire
500m Stealth Rope
Armor Jacket
Shock Gloves
from machine pistol
+ 70 Gel Rounds in 2 clips
+35 Regular rounds in 1 clip
from sub machine gun
+64 APDS Rounds in 2 Clips (- 12 rounds)
+32 Ex-Explosive rounds in 1 Clip

Whatever we agree on for the split, Jack will gruffly start using rounds from the machine pistol to reload the clips for his Hammerli (see IC post).

Since we now happen to have a medkit 6 and I'm guessing Krait has a decent logic score to default to, if he doesn't have first aid skill, and no current wound modifiers, it might be nice if he took a shot at patching Jack up a bit. Roll would be 1st aid+Logic+6 medkit: target (2) = much happier street samurai/bodyguard.

And hey, let's not let that rating 6 cyberware scanner go to waste. A bad ass like Naguel is probably a small fortune is used parts to the right street doc. cyber.gif

Heck fire, why not put those tool kits to use on the bike and try to get what you want out of it.

Jack is truly not interested in all of the other stuff. He leaves electronics, B&E, biomed, and all that other stuff to the experts. If it gets sold off, he is interested in a fair split, like 50/50 since nobody else was here to help us.

Let me know if this sounds fair.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012