Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
Konsaki
You might want to add some spell resist rolls too, since he now has some 'otherworldly powers'...
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Konsaki)
You might want to add some spell resist rolls too, since he now has some 'otherworldly powers'...

Oh, right.

Spell Resist (Counter+Will)
Dicepool: 7
Rolls:4,3,4,2,3,2,4
Hits: 0
Rolls:6,3,4,6,6,6,6
Hits:5
Rolls:6,4,6,4,5,2,1
Hits:3
MK Ultra
It´s probably a good thing, you didn´t try to banish him, according to the shocked faces popping up in the crowd, when it was stated that old O´D would bare the summoning-drain alone. Banishing drain is the same as summoning, after al (IIRC). But I guess, this deathtouch -or two- should suffice wink.gif
Vegas
Eh, it would really (as I understand it) depend on what the spirit rolls for a force or force + summoner's magic (not that I'd really want to go up against the patriarch of a Danann-mor family) vs. a banishing + magic roll. 2x the hits scored by the spirit on their opposed test for drain. Bear with me, still trying to get the magic rules down wink.gif

Either way, still wicked ugly if you look at it.

(ETA: Even Uglier if you take the literal aspect of all of us being "summoned" by Lady Brane Deigh *shudder*)

Man, this has all the potential to turn into an ugly fight if the rest of the families get involved. Though I think I like the odds of having Paddy our our side wink.gif
Vegas
Adamu

In all seriousness. Etain is going to extend counterspelling to cover Conall during the fight.
MK Ultra
Nah, Paddy won´t stand a chance against delphina. He´s a guy and she´s naked nyahnyah.gif
Konsaki
Who the hell is Racoondog and why is he posting for BlueRondo?
BlueRondo
That's a very good question.
Vegas
Or for Adamu for that matter....*ponders*
Konsaki
This RaccoonDog has no other history other than this one post, so I have no idea...
adamu
Hey everyone, sorry to shock you all with our guest star. I have invited/enticed/cajoled raccoondog into helping me with a thing or two in this game.
I love surprises - so sorry no advance warning. I like to think that BlueRondo's shock at seeing his handle equivalates Carla's at getting a message from Mr. Chu.

Suffice to say that raccoondog is an SR player I hold in the very highest esteem. He has made a careful study of Carla's thread, and we have discussed how things will proceed at length.

With a GM providing the "voice" of so many NPCs, I always try to bring in "guests" to mix the feel up a little.

BlueRondo - it is probably inevitable that there will be minor continuity glitches with a new person posting. I'll watch for anything serious - and let me know if anything seems "OFF" to you and we'll simply go back and fix it.
Vegas
Those tricksy GM'sssssssses..... biggrin.gif

Well then, enough evil eyeing already.

WELCOME Aboard RaccoonDog!
BlueRondo
Oh, what a pleasant surprise.
MK Ultra
Wellcome, raccoondog wink.gif

2nd wave, John

I´ll fone Alice first (and that may be the only cal I handlemyself - having her do the rest - don´t know yet). I´ll post the call IC next up - hopefully tomorrow smile.gif
Konsaki
So I can assume that RaccoonDog will be your assistant GM for a while, or is he just focusing on Carla's storyline?
Konsaki
ROFL @ Blue

You're havin no luck with the languages... biggrin.gif
BlueRondo
Yeah, latin isn't going to help with the Japanese rolls.

Given the very random results SR4's rolling system produces, I think perhaps we should adopt some sort of house rule for language skills. I mean, a lucky roll one day allows a character to talk rocket science, and an unlucky roll the next day means she can barely ask about the weather. I like to have a dice roll so there's a bit of uncertainty about communication, but I think the current system is a bit too unpredictable.
adamu
BlueRondo

Well, technically you could default to Intuition to understand the Japanese, but that's just a silly rule. Obviously there is no way for a westerner without a Japanese rating to have any idea what the lady said. I wouldn't stress it.

As for the other rolls, well, I will tell you from personal experience that some days you can be hot, and other days not. Note, however, that the RAW does give you the option in "low stress" situations to simply trade four dice for each success, without rolling - statistically unfavorable, but much more certain...especially if, say, you reckon you will only need maybe two successes anyway.

As for the case - it's a chipcase, so you know it holds an optical chip. In case there's any trouble with connectivity, even though you didn't bring your commlink, you can put the chip in the table and allow the table to send AR to your glasses, if you want.
adamu
QUOTE (Konsaki)
So I can assume that RaccoonDog will be your assistant GM for a while, or is he just focusing on Carla's storyline?

Well, I wish I could get him to expand his role with us, but in a world of busy people he is the busiest. I doubt he is even reading the OOC, so if anyone really wants to say anything to him, you'll have to PM him.

For now he will just be on Carla's story, although I hope to get him hooked on this as the perfect medium for his crazy schedule.

That said, please consider any thing he may rule either OOC or IC as coming from a GM. Naturally big issues can be resolved by me.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)

I´ll fone Alice first (and that may be the only cal I handlemyself - having her do the rest - don´t know yet). I´ll post the call IC next up - hopefully tomorrow smile.gif

Okay, everything looks good. I will be watching to see if you need anything from me, but for now looks like you have everything under control.
BlueRondo
Thanks for the feedback on the language tests, adamu. I wasn't sure what your stance was on the 1-hit-per-4-dice rule.

As for the message, I hope there isn't any important sound, because Carla doesn't have earbuds. Perhaps the table comes with headphones?
adamu
BlueRondo

I'll share your concern about audio with raccoondog. The idea is not to trip everything up over a tiny detail like that - although if this were a more dangerous situation such leniency would not be forthcoming!!! (adamu tries to act like a strict GM...)
adamu
MK Ultra

All three will do what you ask.
adamu
MJ & Vegas

Vegas, unfortunately, even though your counterspelling is twice as good as Conall's, with your wounds and low pain resist, you each have the same pool. The teamwork rules are used in layered counterspelling, and I have rolled for your spell defense per that - I think it is page 59.

See IC post for details, but in game terms - Conall is now at -2 dice on all actions but resists.

I need declarations for next turn. Still have plenty of dodge and soak and spell resist rolls, to just need next initiative and the rolls for your own actions.
Vegas
Damn.. I had forgotten about the damage... *grumbles*

Thanks for the reminder, no matter how painful wink.gif
adamu
Vegas, we cross posted. Note that I edited my last post.
Vegas
Ack! Ok, so she's at 5P after the doctor healed a couple of boxes yes? which puts her at -2 for all actions if I'm not mistaken.

Goal is to summon a beast spirit more for distraction at first and to jump into combat if Conall gets hurt.

Summoning
Magic (5) + Summoning (4) + Low Pain Tollerance (-2) = 7 dice
[5] 4 4 2 2 [5] 1 Hits:2

Drain Resist
WP (4) + Charisma (5) + Low Pain Tollerance (-2) = 7 dice
[5] [5] [5] 1 3 [6] [5] Hits:5
Mister Juan
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 18 2006, 10:44 PM)

See IC post for details, but in game terms - Conall is now at -2 dice on all actions but resists.

????
Konsaki
Do you have a sustaining focus on you? I think they travel with the astral form...
adamu
MJ

Sorry - I wrote the OOC post first. The -2 is from Patrick's "Guilt" spell, what got through after your own zero successes, but then the three other spell defenses that are on you.
adamu
Vegas

As I have said earlier, people can roll their spirits' own resists up to force 6. In any case, no resist can be rolled by either you or me without you declaring what force spirit you wish to summon....
Vegas
Force 5... sorry. I'm trying to do too many things at once frown.gif

Force (5) = 5 dice
[5] 4 4 2 2 Hits:1
adamu
Cool - that leaves you with one service, and full drain resist. Takes all but your free action for the turn, which I assume is for spell defense.
Mister Juan
I assume the Death Touch did no visible damage?
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan)
I assume the Death Touch did no visible damage?

As noted IC - he looks stronger now.
Konsaki
Negative alligned spell against an undead creature... I can see the green floating numbers already. nyahnyah.gif
Mister Juan
EDIT: I reread the IC post.... my question was answered... so ignore this nyahnyah.gif
Mister Juan
Well, it actually doesn't matter that much.

Initiative:8
Rolls:2,2,3,1,4,6,6,6
Hits: 3
Initiative Score: 11
# of IP: 1

Instead of the straight on attack, Conall is going to use a little bit of tactics...

Free action: Speak "We'll bloody see about that!"
Complexe Action: Subduing attack (Conall is going to try to get Patrick in a headlock, preferably, with his back to him, so to break LOS)

Unarmed Attack (subding)
Dicepool: 8-2
Rolls:2,1,6,2,1,6
Hits: 2

If Conall wins the attack, and if Patrick's body is equal or lower than 6 (4+2), then he's subdued.
Vegas
QUOTE (adamu)
Cool - that leaves you with one service, and full drain resist. Takes all but your free action for the turn, which I assume is for spell defense.

Yup that'll work...

For the record, optional power for the beast spirit... Confusion biggrin.gif
adamu
MJ & Vegas

The next IC posts will be on you guys, so here is some stuff that is happening, which you can throw in or not.

Seelie court all watching intently.

Phineas O'Donnell sits exhausted, head in hands.

O'Neill parents gazing intently at Conall, sweat streaming down their faces.

Paddy and Delphina standing eyes locked - essentially cancelling each other out.

We have Vegas' results for the turn.

On center stage -
Patrick hurls another, much more powerful blob of black energy at Conall and charges in again. This time, though, the blob is completely disintegrated by MJ's five successes plus the three extra layers of defense.

When they make contact, Conall succeeds in achieving the headlock. He also succeeds in forcing Patrick's head into an angle where he can't see Conall or any of the O'Neill clan.
On the other hand,
A) Patrick is a lot stronger now - not sure how long you'll be able to keep the grip, and
B) as noted earlier, parts of Patrick are on fire. It's only 1P to Conall this turn -which your soak roll reduces to zero. But you can actually feel him TURNING UP the flame....

So IC through all that, and then hit me with OOC declarations.
Vegas
Question concerning Mindlink in this version of the Metaplanes... (for upcoming rounds)

Can Etain cast it and have it work (assuming successes) AND does the other person have to be completely willing (IE if she casted it on Conall) or would it work if it was cast against someone who wasn't outright resisting but might not know it was coming (IE if she cast it upon her father)? I guess, how do you define "voluntary" biggrin.gif

I'll try to have Etain's IC post up later tonight. I just got home from a 10 hour shift and I feel like crap (but I have the next 2 days off, yay!)
adamu
Vegas

Of course you have to Touch the target.

As for the Voluntary requirement - it is absolute (no way to cast it on an enemy). But I don't think it has to actually be discussed beforehand to count as voluntary. You cast the spell and touch your target - in that moment they will either resist (and succeed) or not resist (making them voluntary). Now, it is unlikely they would be able to just know what spell you were casting on them, so it would be GM's call in each case how they would react.
Vegas
Adamu

Fair enough... sending you a quick PM with some details so you can tell me what rolls I'll need and if you want to counter with your GM's call so I don't have to post a short snippet (for next round) and wait for you to react... if that's cool. smile.gif
adamu
My PM box is always open...
Mister Juan
Rolls for turn #3

Initiative: 8
Rolls: 1,4,6,2,1,1,2,2
Hits: 1
Initiative score: 9
# of IP: 1

On his turn, Conall will tighten his grip, as to make it harder for Patrick to break out.
Dicepool: 8-2+2 (superior position)
Rolls:6,6,2,4,4,3,5,3
Any net hits increase the threshold for Patrick to break out.

I'll try to write something worthy IC wise.
adamu
Cool. We can get to resolution as soon as I have A) IC posts from both of you for the completed actions, and B) final OOC word from Vegas on action for upcoming turn.
Vegas
Action for upcoming turn will be to command summoned spirit to use confuse on Patrick.

Then I'll be pulling ideas out of my ass to try to help Conall.
Mister Juan
SR needs to have rules for trying to snap someone's neck. It would be damn useful right about now nyahnyah.gif
adamu
Well, actually as you know there are rules for doing considerable stun damage to someone you have in a subdual hold. But yes, doing physical damage seems to have been mostly reserved for adepts.

But hey, you wanna snap his neck? Fine with me. I won't even charge you an action - heck, I'll IC it right now!

(NOT to be taken as precedent-setting.)
adamu
Okay, my IC resolves Conall getting a much better grip on Patrick, it resolves Etain commanding her spirit and the spirit's very successful confusion of Patrick.

Vegas' IC post covers her second Simple Action of that turn - speaking.

That leaves the fire. It's 3P this time, so after your soak, MJ, you take 2P damage.

See my IC post for resolution of Vegas' last action.

Once you read that, I need declarations, etc. for the next Combat turn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012