Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
MK Ultra
That´s good news.
BlueRondo
Adamu, can Carla look up the location of the nearest motel and nightly cost?

[ Spoiler ]

Also, roughly how conscious would you say Vanity was for the duration of the trip? Carla is trying to determine whether Vanity has any recollection of Carla's behavior so far (or if Vanity has even noticed Carla yet.)

[ Spoiler ]
Jack Robustus
Everyone, I am so terribly sorry for being out of contact for so long. Things just got away from me. After I read the IC I will get something up to resolve the issues regarding Jack
Jack Robustus
adamu I got my IC up. As you can tell Jack is not in a good mood. A bleeding ear and a messed up shoulder will do that to a guy.

Anyway, Jack will start making perception checks to find a good place to stash the bike. Since he hopes to make money off it he will look for someplace that he has a reasonable chance of securing after he stashes the bike. He will avoid the docks, since the cargo containers are probably under surveillance. If he thinks it is private enough he might just stay with the bike, although he is paranoid enough to figure that Naguel might have some homing device on the bike so he can find it.
adamu
QUOTE (BlueRondo @ Jun 2 2008, 08:54 AM) *
Adamu, can Carla look up the location of the nearest motel and nightly cost?

[ Spoiler ]

Also, roughly how conscious would you say Vanity was for the duration of the trip? Carla is trying to determine whether Vanity has any recollection of Carla's behavior so far (or if Vanity has even noticed Carla yet.)

[ Spoiler ]

Well, three successes each on two fairly simple tasks.

Your data search easily yields a full range of hotel/motel options. There is the full range of prices (per BBB) arranged in any way you like, whether distance from your current location or prioritized by neighborhood security rating or whatever. Your search also turns up shadow posts on unlisted hotels that do business no-questions asked...these range from squatter to middle-lifestyle, and are more expensive - Y200-400 a night, depending on quality.
Take your pick of the type of place you like and go ahead and run with it.

It is pretty hard to know what Vanity may or may not have noticed or is likely to remember tomorrow. I don't think there is a real way to tell just by observing her.
But you do know that (1) she is drunk, and barring intervention will remain so for several hours, (2) she is vaguely coherent - Krait's threat got through to her, so under the alcohol haze there is some rational decision-making, (3) her willpower will be lower (lips looser) while in this state, but at the same time (4) she will be harder to reason with rationally, and will be in less of a position to even understand exactly what sort of information might please you.
adamu
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Jun 2 2008, 04:29 PM) *
Anyway, Jack will start making perception checks to find a good place to stash the bike. Since he hopes to make money off it he will look for someplace that he has a reasonable chance of securing after he stashes the bike. He will avoid the docks, since the cargo containers are probably under surveillance. If he thinks it is private enough he might just stay with the bike, although he is paranoid enough to figure that Naguel might have some homing device on the bike so he can find it.

Jack, it'll take a heap big lotta pushing to get that thing out of the dockyard areas on foot. And you're right - though largely deserted, this is a working commercial area, and there is a lot of remote, private security. However, with some looking it is not too hard to find a few pockets of decay and disuse to dump the bike - such places will also have been found by a variety of other vermin (human and otherwise), nothing too threatening to Jack, but perhaps distasteful nonetheless...so it's up to you whether you are interested in hanging out or what.

Jack Robustus
So I had my reply all ready to go last night and poof my computer screws me. Anyway, as always, I jotted down the salient die rolls on scrap paper (reduce, reuse, recycle smile.gif )

Jack will choose a location which preferably has at least three walls and some semblance of a roof. He will want something with non-human vermin. If the vermin are small, bugs and whatnot, Jack will amuse himself by smashing them while he waits. If he is dealing with larger critters, say rats or cats or possums, he will attempt to kill them so they don't bother him too much while he waits.

[ Spoiler ]

Let me know if more rolls will be required. I figure if there are a lot of big vermin this might take some time and more die rolls but I also figure Jack is sort of embarassed about not being able to take down the hispanic and wants to vent a bit, so he'll take however long it takes to "secure" the area.

Once vermin have been dealt with, Jack will lean the bike against a wall and sit down beside it. He will then consult his Seattle mapsoft to make sure he can give the most accurate directions possible. After that he will call the number Krait gave him and inform him of the location of the bike, in the process passing along Jack's comm number for a return call.
adamu
Jack - with that level of commitment and pent-up frustration, assume you triumph over the vermin. Fluff that however you like, from squashing roaches to slaying devil rats. Have fun.

For your call to Krait, assume for convenience sake that whatever time-stamp the rest of the group is at is the time that you call.
MK Ultra
Jack - please note that you won´t get a life connection to Krait. It´s only an anonymous e-mail adress where you can leave messages (text, voice, whatever), and he´ll call you back.
Jack Robustus
MK- Ultra, that was my understanding.
adamu
Jack - I am sure you already assume this, but just so I don't fall down on the job and leave any player queries unanswered, with your commlink and browse program, it is no trouble at all to find camping goods retailers/online suppliers.
Jack Robustus
adamu, Jack's not looking to buy camping gear in the traditional sense. No backpacks or sleeping bags or whatnot. Just some food and other simple things that will help him out over the next couple of days.
adamu
Cool - well, that'll be totally easy to find anywhere, then.
Vegas
Ok my head hurts... It took me a few tries to understand just who (and what) MK was talking to and doing. Too many creative descriptions of various PC's amongst all ourselves along with too many "code names" just confuses the hell out of me.

If I may ask for clarification (just so I know how to post next).... Lets see if I have this right...

Krait tells St. Pierre to go in first, pat Vanity down and keep his eyes on her...

Next he tells Carla to hang back and wants Etain to keep walking to the end of the alley and got the details of the fight at the bar from Conall before sending Conall inside the van with instructions to "teach Vanity a lesson" without causing major damage.

Do I have that about right?

Just wanting to make sure before I post that Etain is truly "alone" as she walks to the end of the alley... and approx. how long the rest of the trio's conversation goes... even slightly still affected by drugs she'd likely notice she had been "ditched" by Carla... just wanting to figure out timing and appropriate reaction of being specifically "left out" of the group. biggrin.gif
MK Ultra
Sorry for the confusion! Everything correct wink.gif

Except for one thing - I thought Etain would probably wait, too, but I deliberately left out Etain, as I wanted to leave the decision if she will wait with Carla or walk off alone to you and Blue. Carla could just as well not wait and simply leave with Etain. However, Krait only gestured for Carla/Them to wait for a moment, so he can ask for an antidote. Since he´s basically just waving his hand slightly, while talking to the trog and paddy, Etain might as well think he means her as well as Carla or even just etain and not Carla at all. All up to your interpretation.

If both girls leave, he´d say 'wait a moment, please'. if Etain leaves alone, while Carla waits, he won´t think it´s the best idea -though it has a plus side, too- but won´t say anything about it, asuming Carla wants it that way.
BlueRondo
I didn't post this IC, but Carla would have signaled Etain to wait with her. She doesn't want Etain wandering off alone.
Jack Robustus
Jack plans to find the nearest 24 hour convenience type store and lay down up to 40 nuyen.gif on the following supplies.

[ Spoiler ]

I am guessing that Jack can walk to the store, make his purchases, and return to the shed in 20 minutes. Upon his return, assuming the bike is still there, he will take care of any returning vermin, then set up housekeeping as follows:

[ Spoiler ]

Then Jack will sit down, leaning against the bike, so that if someone tries to take the bike when he is sleeping he will fall over and hopefully wake up. I'll wait for your reply before I post any fluff on the IC.
adamu
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Jun 10 2008, 06:35 AM) *
Let me know if these precautions will net Jack the goal he is after.

Obviously I can't make any guarantees in a world where ninjas are real, but they do seem like reasonable and effective measures to me.

EVERYONE ELSE:

Looks like MK turned the IC ball over to MJ, and BR did the same to Vegas --- any Irish elves out there to help us keep things going?
Vegas
I didn't post? Crap.. I could swear I did. Mia Culpa.

So sorry! I'll get right on it.

EDIT: She's gonna hand over a Stim Patch to Miss J. Feel free to use it, or refuse it if she's got some in her kit... besides, Etain doesn't honestly know if it'll do anything for the intoxication smile.gif
Jack Robustus
Jack will spend his time in the shed as follows:

He will not leave the shed again until his two day promise has expired.

He will eat three delicious meals a day, one at 08:00, one at 13:00, and one at 20:00.

He will sleep from 22:00 to 07:30.

He will make perception checks at about 1 hour intervals to see what is going on outside the shed.

The remainder of his time will be spent using his commlink to glean local news and information and to make himself more familiar with the Seattle plex.

At no time will his weapons be left off his person.
BlueRondo
Adamu - does a stim patch help with intoxication? Here's a test to see if Carla knows.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
BlueRondo -

Two answers - first of all, I did something kind of stupid. I have had more than one job dealing with intoxicated people, so when I told you that time was the only thing that could help with the drunkenness, I was basically ruling based too much on the real world, and too little on the game world.

So, just as Carla was able to whip something up in her clinic to cancel out Etain's Bliss issue, 2070 medical science, in which Carla is fairly expert, is definitely capable of dealing with garden-variety alcohol intoxication. Feel free to address this problem with your skills and resources, and sorry for slowing things down with my silly ruling earlier that there was nothing you could do.

Second answer - while Carla may know what to do and be able to get it done, the stim patch would be only a partial remedy. It is not designed for this. It will help with the drowsiness and general dullness, but it will not affect the loosened inhibitions, loss of coordination, etc.
Mister Juan
I was in the process of typing up an IC post when I realized I had two questions:
1-Is Vanity restrained in any way?
2-Has she been searched?
MK Ultra
@MJ
I sent St. Pierre to search her, before Paddy goes in. Of course he may not trust the abilities of a Trog. I also searched her bach at Humpty´s, but only brifely and unobstrusively, so maybe Paddy didn´t see that.
IIRC, I asked for her to be restraigned somehow, before the van left Humpty´s, but I´m not sure.

@Adamu
I guess you said so, because I asked for something, that would only lighten the intoxication, but not remove it entirely (the later of which is possible even with today´s pharmacy, though it is not in use for medical reasons). The Stim´s effect sounds perfect, however, except for it´s short duration and high cost - still good for a start.
BlueRondo
Two answers - first of all, I did something kind of stupid. I have had more than one job dealing with intoxicated people, so when I told you that time was the only thing that could help with the drunkenness, I was basically ruling based too much on the real world, and too little on the game world.

So, just as Carla was able to whip something up in her clinic to cancel out Etain's Bliss issue, 2070 medical science, in which Carla is fairly expert, is definitely capable of dealing with garden-variety alcohol intoxication. Feel free to address this problem with your skills and resources, and sorry for slowing things down with my silly ruling earlier that there was nothing you could do.

Second answer - while Carla may know what to do and be able to get it done, the stim patch would be only a partial remedy. It is not designed for this. It will help with the drowsiness and general dullness, but it will not affect the loosened inhibitions, loss of coordination, etc.

Actually, I think I may have been the one who said there was nothing Carla could do about the alcohol, so that's not your fault. The reason I assumed that Carla couldn't do anything right now is because all she has is a stim patch and a medkit - she's not in a lab like last time.

Anyway, I'll make a medicine roll and in IC post, and you can decide how effective Carla's treatment is:

[ Spoiler ]
Mister Juan
@adamu
These a more "game mechanic" questions:
-Would a "called shot" agaisn't a single limb count as inflicting overall physical damage on Vanity?
-How would we handle a chocking hold? Would it inflinct stun damage that stays when the hold is released, or with it just "go back down" once the hold is released?
adamu
Okay - lots of answers:

She is not restrained - none of the PCs did it, and the gangers aren't horribly efficient or organized.

Searches of Vanity yielded:
Shades w/various enhancements (low-light, thermo, flare comp, image link
Several unmarked (illegal-looking) patches
An auto-lockpicker (R4)
A maglock passkey (R3)
Yamaha Pulsar and concealed holster - one shot gone, no spares
Several compressed wigs
All her clothes are reversible
She wears numerous accessories, and has several more in pockets
She has form-fitting body armor under her clothes
3 certified credsticks with Y100 each

BlueRondo - three successes is pretty good, but as you said, you aren't really well equipped out here. She'll still be woozy, but much better than before.

Mister Juan - All that chock and called shot stuff is fine for combat, but unless she starts fighting back, we will just abstract it as torture, so you will use your intimidation skill (bonuses for creativity, of course).

In any case, see IC post...

adamu
Mister Juan - I see you are online right now.
Great IC post - not sure if you are waiting on my reply or busily posting your die rolls.
But in the interest of moving things along, and considering the modifiers and respective dice pools, I am going to go ahead and start her reply.

Still free to make rolls, since some questions will be a lot harder to get answers from her than others. But your first one is easy.
Mister Juan
Just as a quick rule of thumb: if she seems to hold out, on anything at any point, Conall will pin her face down to the floor (and make sure she's pinned hard enough to get the floor printed in her cheeks), and get her in an arm lock.
MK Ultra
Asuming that I can hear what´s going on inside, which I guess isn´t that hard, since the van probably is far from sound proof, I will keep waiting outside and document the interrogation, to chim in when I do get the feeling, that Paddy´s no longer making any progress, is getting too rough (cutting, mutilating or endangering her longterm health) or it feels like Vanity is about to change from cooperative to stubborn due to his actions. At that point I will move in as the 'good cop' and call him off, to have a talk to her myself.

I´ll also send a message to Paddy, telling him not to allow her to access her headware (since she asked for that, to retrive the comcode) before I say so.

Here is a Perception (9 hits) roll and a Judge Intentions (4 hit), as allways without any circumstencial modifires.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
MK - based on just the voice (big negative mods there), she sounds scared, desperate, and truthful.
MK Ultra
Will probably be out of touch (except reading a bit during brakes at work) untill Saturday or Sunday, just so you all know. So, no IC untill then.
adamu
Update on my activity level - semi-active status basically continues.

I can be here six days a week for the next week or so, then I will be almost totally offline for two.

After that I HOPE to resume six-day weeks, but depends on how fast I can get connected in my new home.

Then I should be back to six-days very consistently and indefinitely (except for a week in mid-August).
MK Ultra
Cool, you are almost in the neighborhood, now, only one hour of time difference biggrin.gif

Welcome to the old world wink.gif
adamu
Mister Juan - it's been four days.

If you are busy, cool, but let us know if you will not be able to post for a while, so people know whether they should jump in on your scene.
Thanks.
Mister Juan
Sorry for dropping the irish talk, for some reason, I couldn't access the "translator" is usually use...
adamu
No worries - you've been writing such a good Irish brogue for so long now, I just automatically hear it when I read Conall's words.

MK Ultra - looks like the interrogation has been passed onto you. I wasn't sure how you want to do it - get into the van, wait for her to get out, or if you plan to say anything before she starts talking. So I will leave the next IC to you.

She will do what Conall told her to - tell you all that she told him. Obviously you don't need to repeat it all in your IC - just say that she does it, and then start with your questions.

Since she is pretty much answering questions freely, if you want to IC your opening question(s) and then OOC me any more you think you might have, it will go faster.

Naturally you will still have the right to ask more, and if you get answers I think you weren't expecting, I'll stop there to let you adjust - just trying to speed things up.

And of course anyone else is also welcome to IC anytime.
MK Ultra
First question, as posted would be about Naguel and who might have hired him to interfere with the team talking to Vanity. this is also to rub off to Naguel as much responsibility for any damage done as possible. Next would be a re-iteration of the info she gave Paddy, plus any details about his looks (fake or not), car, any info and assistance he gave, method and amount of payment, etc. This is both to look for any hints, as well as making it easyer to spot lies. Also, who had routed the job their way? No names, if she insists not to tell them (though I´ll give it a try), but at least if it was a fixer they knew, an unknown fixer, some other contact (street, corporate, cops, underworld?) or if they where contacted directly. Next would be, what they learned about their target prior to and during the job. So much for now, more to come.

Here are some rolls for a start. Compleatly without mods (except 1st Impression), since I don´t know how the situation evolves, if magic and pain and weapons from my thugs on the call count, etc.

[ Spoiler ]
adamu
MK - thanks for the question list.

I was about to use it - I was going to write a big IC post with all the questions answered, but then I looked at my notes and realized the first answer was more interesting than I expected.

I'll let you make the next move.

Just let me know at any point in the future if you want to go back to the above list - still hoping to speed things up, but didn't feel I could run ahead past her answer about Naguel.
adamu
Okay people - long long overdue karma awards up.

As usual, they seem big, but of course they are actually a tiny fraction of what they would be had I stuck to the initially-planned weekly awards.
BlueRondo
Thanks Adamu -

Also, here's a search test to look out for any unwelcome visitors.:

[ Spoiler ]
MK Ultra
Yummy! They say, 'Good Karma is a dish best served cold', I do not agree, it is delicious in any form facelick.gif

Thanks. I get the same KP total.
adamu
BlueRondo - don't forget you always get three bonus dice on Perception tests when you are actively searching. I got two more successes for you for total of four, and then I rolled another success for the teamwork dice that Etain added, since she ICed that she was also on the lookout, but I got no roll.
So you are at five successes, and that will hold until circumstances change or you quit being on lookout.
Vegas
Sorry about the no roll thing.. was just posting the action for fluff purposes more than anything else nyahnyah.gif But this works!

And mucho mucho thanks for the karma! Now to plan how to spend it nyahnyah.gif
Mister Juan
That is, if we ever get down time to spend it nyahnyah.gif
adamu
In case the campaign rules aren't clear, it is possible to spend karma during runs. You can buy anything you can justify to me per the guidelines in the first post of this thread - whether that be a lot of IC references in the past about working on a skill, or whether you can show me OOC that you have been using certain skills under stress, or just spend and buy for totally intangible things like Edge.

Granted, I know you are interested in initiation and new spells - but I think I mentioned not to long ago that, in light of how slow these forum games are, I am getting more open minded about working with you on ways to improve those things within a reasonable time span as well.

But if you want to wait for some in-game downtime for some cool IC about your improvements, that is totally fine too.
Mister Juan
Well, it just sounds more.... reasonable.

The issue is that now, with Arsenal and it's MA system.... there are just WAY too many things I can/should/might get for Conall.
DAMN IT ALL!
DAMN IT ALL TO HELLLLL!!!!
adamu
EVERYONE - starting tomorrow I will be almost entirely offline for two weeks or more.

Of course I will post whenever I can find my way onto the Internet, but you really should not count on me until mid-July.

Feel free to role-play amongst yourselves...seriously, now's the time you can do some of that without worrying you are slowing the game down.

And you are all in a position to do it - Krait just would have to step out of the van to confer with teammates. And you could call Jack anytime, or he could get impatient and call you back (we can assume he set up his camp pretty fast, if necessary).
So no excuses - if you've got ants in your pants to play, the door is open.
BlueRondo
Best of luck wherever you're off to, adamu.
MK Ultra
Yep fare well with what ever project is disrupting your matrix uplink smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012