Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitting Bottom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
BlueRondo
Well, in terms of game time, Carla still has three months to learn.
adamu
QUOTE (Ankle Biter)
QUOTE (adamu @ Oct 9 2006, 04:57 AM)
Ankle Biter

Awesome post.  Now get yourself into the Squeeze and I'll be back with you.  Thanks.

first Wave - Electra

Refresh me, what date would you like me to end my Squeeze setup on? You said a couple of weeks, but I would rather not accidentally jump too far ahead of the up from the bottom lot.

I am assuming that your are taking up the RP again with Trevor contacting me, if you could give me a hint as to where we finally meet, I can take Electra up to that point / to that place.

Ankle

Why don't you just do a summary of Electra's activities/life in the Squeeze through mid- or late-June. Write as much or as little as you are inclined. As long as you give me some idea of the sorts of places you spend most of your time, I can take it from there.
Mister Juan
Second Wave - Conall

Just wondering if you were waiting up on anything from me?
I also take it that Etain's mindlink is out of range?
adamu
QUOTE (BlueRondo)
Carla, First Wave

I didn't name a specific address for Carla's grandmother because (1) I don't know Seattle myself, and (2) I didn't know if there was a specific area of town that you need Carla to be living in. So if there's a specific address (or general area) that would be most convenient for the story, please let me know.

BlueRondo

You can make up an exact address if you want to. The important point is that your grandmother lives in a neighborhood called Tukwila. It is low-class with a C security rating officially, but in reality it is closer to a low D, as you will see when you arrive in my next IC post for you (wish I could say when that'll be...).

Tukwila sort of straddles I-5 just NE of Sea-Tac, in southern Downtown. Note that in the Seattle Metroplex, 'Downtown' refers to the entire city limits of real-world Seattle.

adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan)
Second Wave - Conall

Just wondering if you were waiting up on anything from me?
I also take it that Etain's mindlink is out of range?

Thanks for checking in, dude. No, not waiting on you. You are perfect right where you are. Yes, out of range. Am planning a big post for the both of you Saturday morning my time (about 12 hours from this post).
Vegas
*twiddles fingers*
*sets watch*
*waits*
*is glad she has to go to work to kill the time* wink.gif

Damn, I seriously hope everyone is having as much fun with this as I am!
Konsaki
Damn... that sucks...
adamu
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Everyone - the IC post I just made in Second Wave involving a sexual assault needs a few words.

First - this scene was conceived in extremely close consultation with Vegas. We have been planning it for months. And although we agreed that I would be the one to actually write it, we conferred on virtually every detail of the post. It is essentially as though we wrote it together.

Second - no PC in my game will ever face any similar experience. I run a gritty game, with lots of death, torture, and psychological violence. But no sexual assault will EVER happen to or be imposed on any PC by this GM. This case was unique in that it was planned by myself and the PC, and was part of the Hitting Bottom theme, which as we all know involves exploring the personal tragedies that lead characters into the shadows.
adamu
MK Ultra

Hate to waste all those die rolls. But I am afraid what happens on May 1 erases all of them; you'll have to restart the task from that date, and it will be a 40 success task. Keep all the bonuses from before, and you may be able to earn more - or maybe you'll just end up with penalties.
I'll put the IC post up right now.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Never mind about wasted dice rolls, they only cost me a few mouse-clicks wink.gif

Eagerly anticipating the IC (I knew it would pay, to be learning way into the night biggrin.gif).

BTW, I have the first of my last examn-tests on Tuesday (whish me luck, I could use the extra Edge-Point), so I wonīt hang around here Sunday through Tuesday.
adamu
MK Ultra

Hey, good luck on your tests - no hurry at all on replies.

You can see why I never took the time to give you a background on the IMU head - it wouldn't have mattered much.
John will be able to get an Aegis profile on Dean, no problem. Most of what I would tell you is already in the IC post, but if you have more questions, fire away.

When you want, you can IC up to your meeting with Dean on May 2, and even start the discussion if you want.
Obviously no final decisions will be made at the first meeting, but it will be good role-playing, and should give you some info on the nature of your current challenge.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Wow, with such an alliance of enemies, I almost feel like Lofwyr wink.gif (donīt remind me, that HE might become my enemy, too)

Wish, I hadnīt overlooked May Day, but thatīs what hapens with timespaning posts.

I might put up a small IC tomorrow (depending on what else I get to do during my brakes and if a nice idea assaults me), but I wonīt procede into the meeting (or do anything constructive most likely) until after my test.
pragma
First Wave, Gregory

Just sitting tight for the time being, let me know if there's anything else I should be doing.
BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

Adamu, I'm not sure whether you did this intentionally or not, but you seem to have gotten Carla's name mixed up with her grandmother Carmen in your last post. What's funny is that I planned on Carla adopting the name "Carmen" as her shadowrunner alias.
Konsaki
This might be where she gets the idea. biggrin.gif
Vegas
Damn, just damn.

I'm waiting on the post from MisterJuan before I post up anything, FYI.

So what do cyberhands go for these days? biggrin.gif
BlackHat
5K biggrin.gif
Konsaki
Just have them grow you another finger. Biotech has come long ways in SR4. cyber.gif
adamu
QUOTE (pragma)
First Wave, Gregory

Just sitting tight for the time being, let me know if there's anything else I should be doing.

Dude,  hate to say it, but you are now basically where Konsaki was for 2.5 weeks. Waiting for some other things to get resolved. I have let you know what you're waiting on, and I am now going to make that my post priority.
Feel free to have fun with more IC posts up to 8/20, however.
Thanks for your patience.
adamu
QUOTE (BlueRondo)
Carla, First Wave

Adamu, I'm not sure whether you did this intentionally or not, but you seem to have gotten Carla's name mixed up with her grandmother Carmen in your last post. What's funny is that I planned on Carla adopting the name "Carmen" as her shadowrunner alias.

Well, I guess I was accidentally right on track, then. I have started using headers that reflect street names from the time they adopt the name for shadow-use. (Was going to start heading pragma's posts Fortunato, but then all the subsequent IC posts were pre-dated before the date he took the name.)

Anyway, I thought that the reason the cabbie's sign had that name was because you had chosen that name OOC, and IC you had had your uncle choose that name for you, and surprise you with it at the airfield.
So I was wrong about that, but if that is going to be your shadow handle anyway...

In any case, non-shadow people will of course keep calling you Carla, whatever the header says. If you change your mind and don't want to be Carmen, easily enough edited. Just let me know.

(And personally my theory was you were going to go with Frida....)
MK Ultra
Heh, those Earthans are Grade A Freaks. Reading the post almost had me spill milk out of my nose (good that I donīt drink milk)
[ Spoiler ]

2nd wave, John

Just some points off the top of my head, that Iīd like to gather intel about, so you can think about them ahead (I wonīt be posting in the next 72h anyway).

Thomy quiet likely made a lot of enemies for himself, throughout his carriere. Iīd like to find a few (especially among corps), if only to share info. Aztech must hate him like an anemic victim! MCT probably dosnīt like him, either and I guess the boss of the biggest armsdealer in the world can support me against Thomyīs little, green friend. I guess the UK gouvernment dosnīt like him, either (at least the Lord Protector should have no right to love him).

Iīd like to meet with Sam again, if possible (I have an idea, that might get Daviar on our side on this one, as well).

lastly. Was it the WHO (I think so) or the CDC, that had caused trouble for our take-over targets?
I want to find hints, that the UN is treating corps & governments under controll of metas or dragons more harshly then others, so it looks like they are just picking on Celedyr. (It should be possible, to paint this picture - I donīt want to unvail a conspiracy, just give the people the feeling that it could be the case, that some inside the UN are anti-awakened). This shouldnīt be too hard, as most awakened/meta-governments arenīt exactly treating the human rights with velvet gloves and Lofwyr or Aztech (Mage-O-Cratic) arenīt too nice to people & environment, either. Even Evo most likely had problems with the UN before, due to bio- & cyberresearch (or actions of the russian government). Finally there probably has been some Human-Nation influence in some UN-operations (I donīt say itīs the majority, or even that these incidents are related, but it will help deliver the message).

Iīll read up a bit on the UN, when Iīm done on Tuesday and might come up with something more, then. This is no plan of action, yet, just idears, on which Iīd like to have some info.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Heh, those Earthans are Grade A Freaks. Reading the post almost had me spill milk out of my nose (good that I donīt drink milk)
[ Spoiler ]

Seen 28 Days Later ?
MK Ultra
Read about VITAS? I did both wink.gif

I know, I sayed, I wouldnīt post before Tuesday, but I only meant, I wouldnīt post anything constructive nyahnyah.gif
Konsaki
Good boy, Conall. You deserve a 'Scooby Snack'.
DireRadiant
I like the howling at the moon, very symbolic in this scene.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
I like the howling at the moon, very symbolic in this scene.

I try.
adamu
BlueRondo

I back-edited my earlier post to you to just be Carla. Noticed you used that in your subsequent post, so I guess I jumped the gun on your street name.
adamu
Vegas/Mister Juan

Next thing that happens is the Garda shows up. How and how far I write it depends on your general intentions - run, fight, comply, whatever. Let me know.

I will say that both of you are sure without even thinking about it that, while the cops will certainly do whatever they have to to impose control on the situation, once it is in control you can count on the nobiity IDs that both your commlinks are broadcasting to guarantee safe, respectful and legal treatment.

So just let me know your general intentions, please.
Vegas
Etain - Second Wave

Wait, laying there bleeding and traumatized when the Garda shows up wasn't on your list of options biggrin.gif

I'm kinda thinking unless Conall picks Etain up and carries her away from the carnage, she's not really going to *go* anywhere before they show. So I suppose that means complying with them if they get her medical attention or something...
Mister Juan
Conall - Second Wave

Conall would slowly be coming down his killing frenzy (why isn't there a Beserker quality in SR4....). Depending on how fast the Garda arrives, he might still be totaly high on the kills and adrenaline and might react quite "defensive". If some more time passes, he'll probably go to Etain's side and try to bandage her hand.
adamu
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
MK Ultra -

Hey, those are all totally valid points of attack, and we will get into them. However, keep in mind that you have only about 21 hours before the next day's noon meeting, so for now I will only address what you can find in that amount of time (unless you can sell me on any cool ideas for speeding up the research).

I know the first places you will turn to are your Argus and Aegis accounts - well, your online access to both fails to produce a file. A sales rep from Argus profusely apologizes to you, explaining that their central database was raided a few hours earlier and all their files on Dean are gone. They assure you they are scrambling to recompile them for you, and promise results within 48 hours.
Aegis' Boston office proves annoyingly difficult to contact - first you can't get a call through due to 'technical difficulties.' Then your staff gets their admin/receptionist types, who explain that at the moment the Dean account is only available with authorization from a manager. Then the managers are 'unavailable' stuck in meetings, etc. You won't be able to talk to anyone for a couple of days. We can do that after the noon meeting tomorrow. Still, that leaves you with a very capable research staff of your own, and they can dig up what's out there that's not real shadowy. But any juicy stuff is largely unsubstantiated blogosphere rumour, and using it would just make you look weak and uninformed.

Yes, all those groups you named hate him, and they don't. Those groups are too big to focus hatred on any one individual. Now, there are certainly some powerful division managers in those corps who have had their plans ruined by Dean, and sure, countries like UK have policymakers that are pissed off by him, but for all of those, there is someone who is happy with him for doing a good thing or for ruining the career of someone above them.
He didn't get where he did by making only enemies everywhere he went, or by alienating all people in power.
So yes, if you look, you are sure to find powerful enemies, but it won't be whole megacorps or countries.
And finding those individual enemies - well, I am sure you will have some proposal for me about how you will do that within 21 hours.
OR - maybe you don't care if you get that info before the first meeting - in that case, just IC the meeting, and we can take your information requests from there.

The UN/awakened prejudice thing is interesting. Can you back that up from canon? If so, we can run with that. If not, I will just have to decide if it exists, I guess.

Anyway, most of what you are talking about here will take place after the first meeting at noon the next day.
So OOC me with instructions or just IC to the meeting, whichever you like.

2nd wave, John

Just some points off the top of my head, that Iīd like to gather intel about, so you can think about them ahead (I wonīt be posting in the next 72h anyway).

Thomy quiet likely made a lot of enemies for himself, throughout his carriere. Iīd like to find a few (especially among corps), if only to share info. Aztech must hate him like an anemic victim! MCT probably dosnīt like him, either and I guess the boss of the biggest armsdealer in the world can support me against Thomyīs little, green friend. I guess the UK gouvernment dosnīt like him, either (at least the Lord Protector should have no right to love him).

Iīd like to meet with Sam again, if possible (I have an idea, that might get Daviar on our side on this one, as well).

lastly. Was it the WHO (I think so) or the CDC, that had caused trouble for our take-over targets?
I want to find hints, that the UN is treating corps & governments under controll of metas or dragons more harshly then others, so it looks like they are just picking on Celedyr. (It should be possible, to paint this picture - I donīt want to unvail a conspiracy, just give the people the feeling that it could be the case, that some inside the UN are anti-awakened). This shouldnīt be too hard, as most awakened/meta-governments arenīt exactly treating the human rights with velvet gloves and Lofwyr or Aztech (Mage-O-Cratic) arenīt too nice to people & environment, either. Even Evo most likely had problems with the UN before, due to bio- & cyberresearch (or actions of the russian government). Finally there probably has been some Human-Nation influence in some UN-operations (I donīt say itīs the majority, or even that these incidents are related, but it will help deliver the message).

Iīll read up a bit on the UN, when Iīm done on Tuesday and might come up with something more, then. This is no plan of action, yet, just idears, on which Iīd like to have some info.

MKUltra - see response in-quote.
adamu
Ankle Biter

Another sweet post - thank you. You have accumulated for yourself a fair stash of gear, which I can hardly complain about, the way I turned you loose under your own recognizance.
Now, however, we must return to the dark old days of the GM running the universe, so I am hoping you can send me OOC or PM a list of all the gear you have now got.
I sort of made a list as I read, but just don't want to miss anything. Once I have that, I can take the IC from there. Thanks.
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan)
Conall - Second Wave

Conall would slowly be coming down his killing frenzy (why isn't there a Beserker quality in SR4....).

See Street Magic - it's an adept power now.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (adamu)
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Oct 16 2006, 06:26 PM)
Conall - Second Wave

Conall would slowly be coming down his killing frenzy (why isn't there a Beserker quality in SR4....).

Too bad Conall isn't an adept after all... especially since the release of Street Magic, there are power to "attune" with animals and such wink.gif
MK Ultra
2nd wave; John

You are right, of course. These points of interest where not stuff, I thought to be resolved until that meeting. And of course, Thomas Dean will have many friends, too (there is no black and white, there are only shades of gray).

I donīt have some cool plan, to get intel on Dean (and I donīt want to rush sending runners on that). But I donīt want to halt IC, just to thing about it for a day, so letīs procede to the meeting. (You can start it, or jump right in. Or Iīll try to do so, tomorrow night)
Iīll however ask Lanier to get me a premium account with Infolio (there is at least a slim chance, Dean only moved to block my regular sources). I will also tell him, that Iīd like to meet Sam again (all business nyahnyah.gif). Also, I want to have all intel, that he has on Padijar (the guy worked for Fuchi befor 55 - though probably for Nakatomi).

On that Human Nation stuff. Thatīs your call, canon says nothing about such a link, though it would fit their MO. Remember, this isnīt about prove, itīs about just enough UN-actions unbeneficial to awakened beings, to do some statistical tricks, that implant a bit of a doubt in peopleīs minds.
adamu
QUOTE (Mister Juan)
QUOTE (adamu @ Oct 17 2006, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Oct 16 2006, 06:26 PM)
Conall - Second Wave

Too bad Conall isn't an adept after all... especially since the release of Street Magic, there are power to "attune" with animals and such wink.gif

Come on dude, being able to actually BECOME a wolf is WAY cooler than just having one for a glorified PET!
Ankle Biter
Electra - First Wave

I was trying to be vague about gear as I was, as you said, on my own recognisance. I didn't want to get anything that you may vito.

I did allocate points for startup cash when I built this char, to take care of fake IDs and the like, from "liquidating my assets" If you want me to dip into those now, I can;

The fake ID and comm probably will come out of my starting cash, but I have no idea if it will be moveable to Seattle after the greens are taken out, so I haven't statted it yet, especially as Electra knows little about comms, so Talos would have set it up for her.

Here is a list of the gear I purloined/stole and a second list of stuff I bought, and a third of stuff I blagged from the family, possibly to be taken from my assets once liquidated. I didn't PM it, as it's handier to have it to hand here, and I will need to refer to it myself. Feel free to vito any of it, and arbitrarily assing reasonable stats to stuff, then I can edit this post to inclue the corrected list.

[ Spoiler ]
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Ok, Iīm up for the meeting. John isnīt angry, but he feels a bit insulted by Dean and that has made him feel much more indifferent about the ill he might cause.

BTW
[ Spoiler ]
adamu
Ankle Biter

Gear all looks fine. Deal is, whatever you end up keeping and taking to Seattle, THAT will come out of the post-event gear points you set aside.
adamu
pragma

Fun post. Sorry about the wait. You're not the first, and almost certainly won't be the last in this situation. Apologies again. Hoping about a week real time.
adamu
MK Ultra

Dude, as usual, your story requires a lot more research, preparation, and just plain hard thinking on my part just to keep up with all the cool stuff you do. You will be my main project the next time I get some time in front of this computer. Sorry about the wait.
MK Ultra
2nd wave, John

Donīt worry, take your time, the quality GMing you put up is worth the waiting. Besides, Iīm still in finals, so I have lots of other stuff to do and am quiet happy, to read the other PCīs stories (all very entertaining) and take a bit of a back-seat.
pragma
QUOTE (adamu @ Oct 19 2006, 07:45 AM)
pragma

Fun post.  Sorry about the wait.  You're not the first, and almost certainly won't be the last in this situation.  Apologies again.  Hoping about a week real time.

Not a problem. Just wanted to check in and make sure I wasn't missing anything. This down time fell during midterms anyway; I can use the break.

Edit: While I'm here, this was the initial visual inspiration for Greg as a shadowrunner.
Ankle Biter
Electra - First Wave

first a composure test, meetign trev like this is bound to be a bit disorienting
[ Spoiler ]

Electra is planning to respond to Trevor's sudden arrival by looking shocked, and pulling the door towards her as if to shut it, then stepping outside, as the door closes, drawing her sidearm, then allowing him, once he twigs what has happened, to chase her up to the barrel of the gun as it were.

She intends to look about to step in until the point where she is stepping outside, and make stepping outside it look like a panic descision. She does not intend to face away from the inside of the room while she does this.

The way she intends to run this is to 'interrogate' Trevor, demand for him to explain himself, and then break down while she describes the harsh way those guards asked her all these questions, and allow him to comfort her.

Plese do not allow Trevor to say much, as Electra will probably be interrupting him a lot. Or you can just have Electra start with .

'Explain.'

then as he gets into it, a bit of the ole waterworks,

'They said you were a Terrorist.'

'I kept saying you were innocent, but then they said they found the detonator with my DNA on it, they found it in the cupboard you hid in.'

then if he brings up his connections,

'why didn't you tell me'

And possibly, if the Iron is hot...

'I could have helped'

Break down luvvvy luvvy the end.

Depending on his responses this may or may not be genuine.

Here is an initial con roll, to bluff her way out of the door before he can respond.
[ Spoiler ]

BlueRondo
Carla, First Wave

Adamu, is there anything particularly special about the interior of Carmen's house? I haven't described the interior myself because I didn't want to conflict with anything you might have already planned.
adamu
BlueRondo

Interior is homey and old-ladyish. Just like any typical devoutly Catholic Columbian grandmother widow's house would be. Crucifixes, lots of needlework cushions, old, comfy, well-kept furniture. Modest but clean. All the modern amenities, but nothing flashy. Maybe some 'big-eyed children' paintings. Whatever you like. Carla will have her own room - the guest room.

By the way, I assume you already know this and are just waiting for a lull, but you know that any time you have a chance to sit down and read, there is more diary.
adamu
Ankle Biter

Not a glitch, but sure as heck wasn't a success. You are startled and flustered. That con test was pretty harsh, too, especially after I subtract dice for being so flustered.
Let's say that you do get him out of the hall and you do get the gun in his face, but it goes clumsily, and you barely get the drop on him.

Anyway, why am I not describing this? Dude, your description of the events and your intentions was so detailed, I am getting the feeling you'd rather write it yourself, which is fine with me.

When you get to the 'mention his connections' thing you referred to, yeah, he will say that he is so sorry, but he IS involved in something, something bigger than himself or her or even the perfect union that the two of you have together. A cause worth dying for. He's not a terrorist, he's trying to save people, billions of people. He's trying to save them from his own folly.

There's plenty of room in this world for cynicism/skepticism regarding the real motives of people that blow up museums full of people, but near as Electra can tell, he really is sincere, in a shallow, unthinking kind of way.
adamu
pragma

Wow, don't get me started on how I feel about that movie, but yeah, great picture for Gregory. Nice.
BlackHat
QUOTE (adamu)
Interior is homey and old-ladyish...

Read as: "Interior is horney and old-ladyish..."
HA, way too early.
Konsaki
QUOTE (BlackHat)
QUOTE (adamu @ Oct 20 2006, 06:29 AM)
Interior is homey and old-ladyish...

Read as: "Interior is horney and old-ladyish..."
HA, way too early.

Granny feeling a bit lonely is she? eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012