Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chummer Character Generator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77
Nebular
Hi all,

I've been working on a character generator since late-December 2010 and have released it for all Runner to use.

I have two main goals for Chummer. The first is to be a standard character generator that lets you create a character with the BP and Karma systems, then maintain them throughout their career with Karma. The other is to give GMs a tool where they can create their NPCs and have all of the information they need in just one place (like weapon damage, armor ratings, etc.) without having to flip through a bunch of sourcebooks during game play (this really bugged me when I was running some of the SR4 missions).

By default, only content from the Shadowrun 4th Edition book is shown. To use content from other sourcebooks, select Tools > Options and select the books you would like to use. This was done in case there are Game Masters or players that want to limit their character options to only certain books. The sourcebook changes do not take effect until you load or create a new character - if you have one currently open when you make this change, it won't pick up the change until you save and reload it.

Chummer's data is all stored in XML and allows players and GMs to create their own Skills, Vehicles, Weapons, Qualities, and other goodies by creating custom XML data files. Full documentation on the data files can be found in the Chummer Wiki. Character sheets are also created using XSLT meaning that anyone can create their own custom character sheets with a little know-how.

This is a Windows application (Win XP/Vista/7) that requires Microsoft's .NET Framework 4 installed. Unfortunately it does not currently work with Mono, however, recent testing has shown that it should be fully functional with their next public release.

You can grab Chummer from http://www.chummergen.com/dev/chummer/Chummer.zip. This file will be kept up-to-date with each release as well for those who are just joining the party.

Please post any feedback, bug reports, and the like here.

Thanks!
Nebular
The preview copy of Chummer has been updated to build 36. You can update your copy of Chummer by going to the Tools menu and selecting Check for Updates. A bunch of new stuff has been added for this build.

Most saves from previous builds will not work with this build due to a number of underlying changes.

• added Cyberware from Augmentation
  • added support for +X to Avail for Cyberware
  • added support for cost multipliers for Cyberware
  • added full support for Gear
  • Save button in the toolbar now goes away after closing a the last character window
  • added tooltips for Armor Ratings to show how they are being calculated
  • removed the ability to tile and cascade windows since this caused rendering issues and confusion
  • only the highest value for each type of Cyberware Enhancement now applies to Attributes and Armor Ratings
  • Spells in the Select a Spell window are now listed in alpahbetical order for each category
  • added the ability to search for Spells in the Select a Spell window
  • added the ability to search for Weapons in the Select a Weapon window
  • Weapon Ammo is now populated when adding a new Weapon
  • added basic Vehicle/Drone support
  • added Weapons from Arsenal
  • added support for Armor Modifications
  • added support for Cyberweapons
  • added support for Weapon Accessories
ggodo
This thing's pretty sweet. I've been messing around with it a bit and I like the ability to ignore character creation rules, really nice for GMs making Prime Runners.
Leoric
Hi!

Nice tool, I really like the GUI wich is very intuitive. Are you planning to support karma building system?

By the way, I found a bug, when trying to change grade for cyberware. I think it happens beacause I'm using a french version of .NET, and it might have something to do with the way fractions are handled. Here is the error message:

CODE
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.ParseDouble(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
at System.Convert.ToDouble(String value)
at Chummer.frmSelectCyberware.cboGrade_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Chummer
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.36
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.36
CodeBase: file:///G:/JDR/Shadowrun/Chummer%20Chargen/Chummer.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Nebular
Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. I'll look into the changing Cyberware grade bug.

Once I have the core of the application done for creating characters from scratch using the BP system, I'm planning on adding the ability to maintain characters using Karma. I hadn't originally planned on doing it, but since improving a character with Karma and building a character from scratch with Karma, it should be doable since you're essentially improving a character from scratch. I am, however, noticing a discrepancy between the Karma cost for improving Attributes between SR4A, and SR4/Runner's Companion. Since Runner's Companion and SR4 both said it was originally New Rating x 3, and that SR4A replaces SR4, I'm assuming that SR4A's New Rating x 5 is the new "correct" formula.

The ability to print will be in the next release. Most of it is done but is being held up by vehicle weapons which I'm starting to work on tonight. Should be ready for this weekend.
Nebular
QUOTE (Leoric @ Apr 11 2011, 01:34 PM) *
By the way, I found a bug, when trying to change grade for cyberware. I think it happens beacause I'm using a french version of .NET, and it might have something to do with the way fractions are handled.

Does this happen with all Cyberware, or only certain pieces? If I can get the name of one piece that causes this for you, that would be a big help. I'm assuming this is changing the grade after it has already been added to the character and not in the Select Cyberware window, correct?
whatevs
This is really impressive. So many great things to rave about, and just a few very minor techinical things I noticed.

Things I like:
- generally, very very well thought out
- awesome use of xml. Now I can mod them to exclude things I don't use in my campaign (FFBA). Or if a new book comes out I can update on my own. Priceless functionality.
- very very smooth and responsive, great ui
- not bloated at all
- easy to install and maintain
- source book exclusion (also priceless)
- alphabetical order (also priceless)
- mount tracking for weapon accessories (under, barrel etc).

Techincal Suggestions:
- 'cancel button' in the 'choose bp amount' and 'select metatype' windows (when starting a new character)
- crtl-z support
- export to excel/csv
- in the' add gear' (or cyberware, or spell, or vehicle windows etc. etc. etc.), when I make a selection, it closes the window and forces me to start over . How about some kind of add to cart/queue functionality?
- armor encumberance calculation revision.
Unless I'm out to lunch, a body 3 character shouldn't be able to wear bike racing armor without a -1 penalty. Maximum armor rating (b or i) = body x2, bike racing armor i = 7. Penalty = –1 modifier
to Agility and Reaction for every 2 points (or fraction thereof ) over <sr4a161>. My body 3 character is currenly wearing bike racing armor without the penalty. Don't get me wrong, I'm lovin it, just not sure if it's correct. Please let me know if I'm out to lunch.
- addition of 'natural' (first) language

Requests:
- list of pre-gen knoweldge skills to choose from, or better yet, the option to add my own to choose from <see 'awesome use of xml' above smile.gif>
- weapon modification support / vehicle modification support
- martial arts support (unless I missed something)
- ammunition for purchase somewhere in gear (unless I missed something)
Nebular
Unfortunately I don't think I'll be supporting undo. There's an alarming about of complexity within the characters already. If I can figure out a way to work it in though, I will.

Looks like the armor encumbrance is a bug. It works if either is 8 but not 7, so I'm rounding the wrong way. And armor mods apparently aren't being counted. Whoops.

I managed to get the vehicle mods and vehicle weapons/weapon accessories/weapon mods done tonight, so they'll be in the next version.

Ammo is the next thing I'll be tackling. It will likely be part of the Gear section since it's fairly generic and doesn't need to be tied to a particular weapon.

I can take a look at exporting to Excel/CSV later on. How do you need it outputted? Do you have a sample file of how it should look?

FYI: At the moment the update is fairly basic when it comes to updating the XML files. If the new file has a higher version number than the old one it simply overwrite it, so any custom changes you've made will be lost. I'm going to be changing this later on so that it's a little more intelligent and won't destroy and customizations. You will basically be able to flag an entry as disable and/or custom.
ggodo
I don't understand anything you're saying, but I love the work you do.
Wizard_Thoarin
why not just have custom data written to a custom data xml file so that you don't have to worry about data being over written. If necessary you can have a custom_weapons.xml, custom_cyberware.xml, etc. if necessary or else just throw it in one custom.xml file with an extra tag as to which standard set of xml data it should be appended to on program launch?
whatevs
QUOTE (Wizard_Thoarin @ Apr 12 2011, 05:40 AM) *
why not just have custom data written to a custom data xml file so that you don't have to worry about data being over written. If necessary you can have a custom_weapons.xml, custom_cyberware.xml, etc. if necessary or else just throw it in one custom.xml file with an extra tag as to which standard set of xml data it should be appended to on program launch?

Exactly. Don't worry about my xml customizations. I'll manage on my own. And i think it's reasonable that the user community does the same.

For the excel output, any sort of character sheet type export is fine. If you create a comma seperated summary of all the data, in text format, that should work nicely. Keep up the awesome work, impressive stuff.

One last thing i forgot to mention. You might also want to consider character portrait upload/ display. It migjt make export to excel a little more complicated though...

Nebular
QUOTE (Wizard_Thoarin @ Apr 11 2011, 11:40 PM) *
QUOTE (whatevs @ Apr 12 2011, 05:48 AM) *
Exactly. Don't worry about my xml customizations. I'll manage on my own. And i think it's reasonable that the user community does the same.

I like it! Much easier to do things that way. Should be in for this weekend's update.
Leoric
QUOTE (Nebular @ Apr 12 2011, 12:59 AM) *
Does this happen with all Cyberware, or only certain pieces? If I can get the name of one piece that causes this for you, that would be a big help. I'm assuming this is changing the grade after it has already been added to the character and not in the Select Cyberware window, correct?

Nope, this happens for every implant, cyber & bioware, while in the select cyberware window.
Nebular
QUOTE (Leoric @ Apr 13 2011, 01:37 AM) *
Nope, this happens for every implant, cyber & bioware, while in the select cyberware window.

Edit: I can reproduce the issue by changing my regional setting to French. I'm hoping to have this fixed for the next preview release.
erendor
This topic provides the impetus to sign up to dumpshock! Just wanted to say - very nice work, keep it up! Looking forward to each update wink.gif.

Things I noticed, that you are probably already aware of:

-No helmets under armor.
-No Custom Cyberlimb section
Nebular
Helmets are a little wacky since they're technically not pieces of armor on their own. They are, instead, treated as armor modifications which improve an existing piece of Armor's ratings. Once you add a piece of Armor, you can select it and choose Add Armor Mod which will show you the list of Armor Mods available. From there you can pick a helmet. You'll also find the SecureTech and various other Armor Mods from Arsenal in there.

I completely forgot about Customzed Cyberlimbs! I'll add these in for the next preview release. They'll be handed as plugins for a piece of Cyberware in the same was as Cyberlimb Enhancements and be a part of the same category.
whatevs
Seems like you're going to be busy nebular, maybe a victim of your own success. That being said... Thought of another suggestion. smile.gif

Armor encumberance is currently calculated based on all of the the armor you've chosen. So it turns into a problemif you want to work with different armor sets at different times. Maybe a 'calculate encumberance' checkbox
Beside each armor item?

Nebular
That's an interesting idea for Armor. I've noticed with entering some of the characters from SR4A for testing that they had multiple piece of armor that put them way over and thought it was a little strange. I'll have to look into this as well.

Finally found the fix for Leoric's issue so that will be in for the next preview release too. Silly me thought that things would be intelligent enough to recognise "," as a decimal separator in regions where it was used. Apparently I was wrong. smile.gif
Nebular
Big honkin' update this week

Build 42
in order to download and install the character sheet properly, please follow one of the follow two steps:

On to the actual updated stuff:
  • update now supports updating XSL character sheets
  • Spells now support selecting custom text and Attributes for those that require a choice (those with [] in their name)
  • multiple instance of Qualities like Addiction are no longer combined into one when loading a character
  • Vehicles now support Vehicle Modifications
  • Vehicles now support Vehicle Weapons and Weapon Modifications
  • added Cancel button to Choose BP window
  • added Cancel button to Select Metatype window
  • Armor Mods are now considered when checking for Armor Encumbrance
  • corrected Armor Encumbrance rounding error being over BOD x 2 impacts AGI and REA correctly
  • Cyberware with a Capacity of * can now be removed from a character if it is not a Cyberware plugin
  • select Cyberware/Bioware window now shows the correct title when selecting Bioware
  • removed Undo and Redo items from the Edit menu since they didn't do anything
  • ESS and ESS costs now correctly round to 2 decimal places
  • select item lists in Select X windows are now sorted
  • added support for custom data files (see below)
  • added Exotic Melee and Exotic Ranged Weapons from Arsenal
  • added Ammo to Gear
  • added all Grenades, Rockets, Missiles, Explosives and Demolitions equipment from SR4A and Arsenal
  • Gear that is also a Weapon (such as Grenades) also adds the appropriate Weapon (similar to Cyberware and Cyberweapons)
  • Gear can now have a minimum Rating
  • added Custom Cyberware plugins to Cyberware Enhancements category
  • reorganised the Skill Groups and Active Skills to display more information
  • added key mnemonics for Add buttons (Alt+A for the first Add button on a tab, Alt+D for the second)
  • right-clicking on items now displays a context menu identical to the one for the associated Add button
  • added a tooltip to each Skill Group that list the Skills within that Group
  • added missing tooltips to all fields on the Build Point Summary and Other Info tabs
  • window now closes after successfuly saving a character when Close Window is clicked
  • regions that use something other than "." to separate decimal places no longer causes errors when using numbers with decimals
  • increased the size of some fields and lists so that names do not get cut off or overlap with other information
  • Armor and Armor Mods can now be marked as Equipped. Armor/Armor Mods not Equipped are not factored into Armor Encumbrance or highest Armor Ratings
  • added Online Help to the Help menu which takes you to the Chummer Wiki (http://www.chummergen.com/chummer/wiki/)
  • the BP used for Sprites now appears in the correct location instead of replacing the Sprites heading
  • added "Ask for confirmation when deleting" to the Options window (on by default)
  • application now asks for confirmation when deleting objects if "Ask for confirmation when deleting" is turned on
  • the Delete key now does the same thing as pressing the Delete button when a list item is selected (Spells, Cyberware/Bioware, Gear, Vehicles)
  • added "Add & New" buttons to all Select windows which adds the current item to the character then re-opens the window so you can add another item
erendor
Very nice! Using it already! biggrin.gif

One thing I'd like to see, if possible - clicking Add&More keeping your current category of items open. I was adding Matrix programs and clicking Add&More brought me back to Ammunition every time.

Oh, and a build point total! The list of build points and where they were spent is very helpful, but I'm hopeless at math and contacts and skills tend to introduce complications. (i.e 12 points of contacts, 42 of skills, -35 for negative attributes...)
Nebular
Found a couple of minor things that I couldn't let go un-fixed, so I fixed 'em. A few new additions are thrown in since they were what I was working on last night.

Build 43
  • added Nanocybernetics to Cyberware
  • added Transgenic and Nanotech Gear
  • added Genetech to Bioware
  • Armor Mods that add to Avail can now include R or F
  • Gear Accessories can no longer downgrade their parent's Avail from Forbidden to Restricted
  • added <skillarticulation /> support to the Improvement Manager to properly support the Enhanced Articulation piece of Bioware
  • all Select windows now remember the last Category selected and re-open with it as the currently selected Category
  • Qualities that prompt for a value are now correctly removed from the character when the Quality is removed
  • selected values for Qualities now appear on the character sheet printout
LonePaladin
Can you adjust the interface for odd window sizes? When I run this on my netbook (which has a 1024 x 600 display), a lot of the elements end up running off the edges of the screen.

Specific examples:
  • Negative qualities run off the bottom.
  • On the Skills tab, the "Skill Points Remaining" display is half-obscured.
  • I think the section for purchasing Knowledge Skills is completely hidden.
  • On the right side, the Build Point Summary window cuts off a few pixels into the "B" of "BP".

I've also noticed that Rigger Adaptation isn't available for vehicles without enabling the Arsenal sourcebook.

Since ammunition is specific to weapon categories (i.e., ammo for heavy pistols can't be used in light pistols), you might want to include a way to account for this.

I'm going to see how well this handles the numbers for the PCs in my group, to see if anything else comes out odd. This looks very promising -- I've been hoping a decent character-generator would turn up. Keep up the good work!
whatevs
Xml driven character generator = awsome
Customizable character sheets via xsl = value of half the tea in china. Nonono, change that to ALL the tea in china!

This is inspired stuff. Well done!

I hate to cheapen my cudos with another request... But how about some mentor spirit support? Maybe with a list to choose from and appropriate modifiers?
whatevs
Noticed that there was another update recently (awesome stuff!), thought I'd flag some things for you quickly and provide a few more suggestions (you must be tired of them by now, but anyways...).

Issues:

1.) Enemies Max BP - I chose Vendetta and Wanted, plus 3 Enemies: 4/4, 3/3, 3/3. Then I added an additional enemy (which it shouldn't have let me do because I was at max). Then I clicked incidence from 1 to 2. Got 35bp limit error message, then got unhandled exception error.

2.) Armor / Clothing Combinations - I chose and equipped the Zoé Long Jacket, Plain Blouse/Shirt and Skirt/Trousers, and only got the b and i ratings of the Long Jacket. Looks the 'ballistic armor' and 'impact armor' values (in the 'other' tab, beside the 'build point summary' tab) are only giving the higest ratings of the three pieces, as opposed to combining them. Arsenal pg. 45. Suspect this is the same for Berwick Line and Steampunk line combinable items as well.

3.) FFBA - FFBA is effected in the same way as above. Also it looks as though encumburance isn't halved for FFBA as it should be. So right now, ffba is functioning as just another piece of armor. I'm not sure how you want to mitigate this. You could try having ffba in the armor mod list as well as the regular armor list.

4.) The Zoé line Long and Short Jackets aren't allowed to be equipped at the same time. Not sure if this is a major thing. Just FYI. Same thing with the Steampunk Corset and Gown. Also the Synergist Suit Jacket, Short Jacket, Longcoat. Also the mortimer/beriwck Suit Jacket and Dinner Jacket

5.) 'Equipped' Checkbox on Armor Mods - Should some armor mods not have the 'equipped' checkbox? I'm pretty sure that Ruthenium Coating can't be removed. Gel Packs could be removed I suppose, but an interesting question.

6.) Initiative - The 'initiative' value (in the 'other' tab, beside the 'build point' summary tab) doesn't seem to drop below 4 for the purposes of calculating encumburance, regardless of how many pieces of armor I choose or equip.

Suggestions:

Option to add Link from enemies and contacts to chummer character files for those enemies and contacts (they should be fleshed out characters afterall)

Flag indicating if an armor item would cause encumburance based on bod attribute. Example: Racing Bike Armor needs a bod of 4 to wear without negatives

Accomodating House Rules - Example: CHA x 2 of free contacts. These sorts of house rules are everywhere. Some can be accomodated by modifying your XML datafiles (thanks again btw), but it might be worth digging to find out what the most common ones are.

Accomodating The Most Used Optional Rules - Example: Maximum Armor Modifications. pg44 arsenal. Ditto above.

A Section for user inputted notes for gear items. If you have a piece of armor for example, and want to describe it.

A 'Character Description' sheet somewhere. With drop down items for things like:
Eye Color
Height
Weight
Skin Tone/Hue:
Hair Color:
Hair Length:
Character Portrait: (with upload function)
Character Description:
Character Background:
Concept:

KarmaGen Character Building. This is probably a huge amount of work though.

Display Page Numbers and book names for the gear items. This is also probably a huge amount of work.
Nebular
All good suggestions. The resolution problem will be fixed in the next preview release, along with Rigger Adaptation, the Weapon Mount, Enemy BP error, and whatever else makes the cut for next weekend. Friday is a long weekend here, so I'm hoping that ends up being a stupidly productive day. biggrin.gif

whatevs: it looks like the Armor Encumbrance for the Initiative situation you mentioned is being calculated correctly from my understanding of the rules. If I have a character with BOD 1, REA 5, INT 4 and put enough armor on him to effectively drop his REA to 1, his INI should still be 5 (1 REA + 4 INT). The way it's written makes it sound as though your INI decreases by your REA went down. You character is still intelligent enough to act, but too overburdened with their poor armor choice to be as effective. I think the "may affect Initiative" bit of text is in the description since you could have a character with 1 REA, in which case your INI would not be affected. Is this correct?
Leoric
QUOTE (Nebular @ Apr 16 2011, 12:05 AM) *
[*]regions that use something other than "." to separate decimal places no longer causes errors when using numbers with decimals

Nice! It corrected the bug I was talking about, thanks!

I'm going to play around with your Chargen to see if i can find other bugs/suggestion, but I already love it, and the charsheet is neat!
ShadowWalker
When I select File-New from the menu the screen I get has it's buttons showing up almost completely below the bottom of the window.
I'm using Windows 7.
whatevs
QUOTE (whatevs @ Apr 16 2011, 11:09 PM) *
I hate to cheapen my cudos with another request... But how about some mentor spirit support? Maybe with a list to choose from and appropriate modifiers?

Put some xml nodes together that might help out with the above request. Figured why not share the fun. I'm not sure how you'd want to calculate the appropriate modifiers in Chummer itself, but here's the xml nodes.
[ Spoiler ]

whatevs
QUOTE (Nebular @ Apr 17 2011, 08:09 AM) *
whatevs: it looks like the Armor Encumbrance for the Initiative situation you mentioned is being calculated correctly from my understanding of the rules. If I have a character with BOD 1, REA 5, INT 4 and put enough armor on him to effectively drop his REA to 1, his INI should still be 5 (1 REA + 4 INT). The way it's written makes it sound as though your INI decreases by your REA went down. You character is still intelligent enough to act, but too overburdened with their poor armor choice to be as effective. I think the "may affect Initiative" bit of text is in the description since you could have a character with 1 REA, in which case your INI would not be affected. Is this correct?

Looks that way. Good call! Forgot about intuition being part of initiative.
whatevs
Quick Note About your Tooltip for Ballistic and Impact Armor - Your tooltip says that there's a -1 to agility, might want to add that there's a - 1 to rea as well. Not major though, as per your post above, it looks as though it's being calculated correctly.
whatevs
QUOTE (whatevs @ Apr 12 2011, 03:40 AM) *
Requests:
- list of pre-gen knoweldge skills to choose from, or better yet, the option to add my own to choose from <see 'awesome use of xml' above smile.gif>

Okay, working on some xml nodes for the above request. It won't be this weekend, but I should be able to provide a nice list. Here's a languages list. I used (mostly) the list of 100 most common languages on wikipedia. P.S. Spoiler code tags aren't working in my browser for some reason, and I'm out of time, so sorry in advance for the wall of text. Edit: Ah, that's better
[ Spoiler ]
Nebular
Thanks for the data, whatevs. I've rolled the Language stuff into skills.xml. No idea why I didn't see just putting Knowledge Skill stuff in there before. Sometimes it's the obvious stuff that's hard to see. smile.gif I'm hoping to get Mentor Spirits in for this weekend, too.

Here's how I've setup the Knowledge Skills.
CODE
<chummer>
<skills>
... existing content ...
</skills>
<knowledgeskills>
<skill>
<name>Xiang</name>
<attribute>INT</attribute>
<category>Language</category>
<default>No</default>
<skillgroup />
<specs>
<spec>Read/Write</spec>
<spec>Speak</spec>
<spec>Dialect</spec>
<spec>Lingo</spec>
</specs>
</skill>
</knowledgeskills>
</chummer>
whatevs
Looks good, are you all set with the different specializations? I think you used <spec></spec> in your original skills xml. I used that format above, so you should be able to cut/copy/paste if you want to.
Bigity
CODE

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Chummer.ImprovementManager.CreateImprovements(ImprovementSource objImprovementSource, String strSourceName, XmlNode nodBonus, Boolean blnConcatSelectedValue, Int32 intRating, String strFriendlyName)
at Chummer.frmCreate.cmdAddPower_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.225 (RTMGDR.030319-2200)
Chummer
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.43
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.43
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/stuart/Documents/Shadowrun/chummer%20chargen/Chummer.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

Was toying around with an ork adept, was spending power points. Everything was fine until I tried to add Enchanced Perception.

Nebular
QUOTE (whatevs @ Apr 18 2011, 01:02 PM) *
Looks good, are you all set with the different specializations? I think you used <spec></spec> in your original skills xml. I used that format above, so you should be able to cut/copy/paste if you want to.

Yup, the specs are great. I used everything you provided. I just did a straight copy of everything you gave me and pasted in the few replacements once I realised I can just put them all in the skills.xml file. I did a straight copy with the Mentors and added in the Toxic Mentors as well. smile.gif
Nebular
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 18 2011, 01:48 PM) *
CODE

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Chummer.ImprovementManager.CreateImprovements(ImprovementSource objImprovementSource, String strSourceName, XmlNode nodBonus, Boolean blnConcatSelectedValue, Int32 intRating, String strFriendlyName)
at Chummer.frmCreate.cmdAddPower_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.225 (RTMGDR.030319-2200)
Chummer
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.43
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.43
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/stuart/Documents/Shadowrun/chummer%20chargen/Chummer.exe
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
System
System.Xml
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

Was toying around with an ork adept, was spending power points. Everything was fine until I tried to add Enchanced Perception.

Doh! This'll be fixed in the new preview release.
Leoric
Synthecardium essence cost is wrong: 1 per level instead of 0,1.
Same for Synaptic booster: 5 per level instead of 0,5.
Quite invasive! nyahnyah.gif

And I didn't found how to split magic and adept powers for a mystic adept.
whatevs
QUOTE (Nebular @ Apr 18 2011, 07:08 PM) *
Yup, the specs are great. I used everything you provided. I just did a straight copy of everything you gave me and pasted in the few replacements once I realised I can just put them all in the skills.xml file. I did a straight copy with the Mentors and added in the Toxic Mentors as well. smile.gif

Nice! Forgot about them. Are you going to be able to add the mentor bonuses on the back end?

I'll send a list of some usefull knowledge skills in noded-up xml format.

Nebular
Can't handle +X dice for casting Spells at the moment. Not sure if this is something I'll be throwing in just yet. I'm looking at getting support in for the +X bonuses to Skills for Mentor Spirits though. It might make it into this weekend's update but not 100% certain.

Leoric: I have that ESS bit fixed up which will be in this weekend's update. This only applied to Cyberware/Bioware that let you pick a Rating and have their ESS cost tied to it... in regions that use "," to separate decimals places. smile.gif

The original intention with Mystic Adepts was to simply leave it as is. Whatever you don't spend on Adept Power Points is what you presumably have leftover to work with the Magcian. I'm now seeing a fault in my thinking after re-reading the Mystic Adept portion though (and having never played a Mystic Adept now that I think back). A Mystic Adept with MAG 5 who puts 3 of those into Powers and uses the rest for Magician would effectively have MAG 2 for the purposes of determine their Ability bonus for Skills. This seems to only affect dice pool though and nothing else. Is that correct?
whatevs
QUOTE (Nebular @ Apr 19 2011, 12:29 AM) *
Can't handle +X dice for casting Spells at the moment. Not sure if this is something I'll be throwing in just yet. I'm looking at getting support in for the +X bonuses to Skills for Mentor Spirits though. It might make it into this weekend's update but not 100% certain.

One of the things about mentor bonuses is that they're basically free skill specializations. Ex. +2 detection spells is really just a detection specialization of the spellcasting skill. So if you can trigger the addition of a specialization (even if there's already one added by the user) when you select a mentor spirit, you're in business. All you have to watch out for is the same specialization already being there, in which case there would just be two specializations for that skill at +4 total. Also, you would have to let users add another specialization for the affected skill (in this case spellcasting) via the skills window.

Some mentors have negatives that aren't abstract, and will require a negative modifier ex. -1 to combat spells. In this case, the same logic applies but with a -1 as a specialization 'bonus'. Rules about user still being able to add specializations to the affect skill via skills menu would still need to apply.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being so responsive!
whatevs
QUOTE (Nebular @ Apr 18 2011, 03:40 AM) *
Here's how I've setup the Knowledge Skills.
<chummer>
<skills>
... existing content ...
</skills>
<knowledgeskills>
<skill>
<name>Xiang</name>
<attribute>INT</attribute>
<category>Language</category>
<default>No</default>
<skillgroup />
<specs>
<spec>Read/Write</spec>
<spec>Speak</spec>
<spec>Dialect</spec>
<spec>Lingo</spec>
</specs>
</skill>
</knowledgeskills>
</chummer>

One quick thing, I've notices that you don't have a skill group defined for the knowledge skills (skillgroup />). Shouldn't they be set up as Street, Academic, Professional and Interest?
Nebular
They're not technically Skill Groups in the same way as Active Skills (you can't take the Language Skill Group and get Rating X in all Languages), so I put that into Category. So the Category for Knowledge Skills can be "Academic", "Interest", "Language", "Professional", and "Street".
whatevs
Sounds good, ive got a list of around 30-40 knowledge skills with specs on it's way.
LonePaladin
Something odd I've noticed here. When you're adding knowledge skills to a character, after the fifth entry it puts a gap between #5 and #6. It keeps doing this, with the gap getting larger each time you add something new.

Also, the armored clothing packages from Arsenal aren't adding together properly. I expect this one is tricky to handle, though.
Nebular
I believe I have the Arsenal Clothing stuff figured out and implemented. It should be in the next preview release. The Knowledge Skill one kind of hurts my brain - you'd think a position of 0 would be a fixed location, but apparently not. nyahnyah.gif It should be fixed in the next release as well.

Shadowalker: I'm hoping your problem is fixed in the next release as well. This might be a part of the resolution issues I was having.
LonePaladin
More suggestions and/or observations.
  • Commlinks don't have the option of improving their Response or Signal ratings. (SR4A, p. 222)
  • Some commlink add-ons (such as sim modules) should be considered "plug-ins". Software should probably be treated similarly, so that they don't clutter the gear list. One possible add-on is the "basic software" package (SR4A, p. 232), for non-hackers.
  • The list of purchased items could stand to have a couple extra columns; definitely one showing the price, perhaps also one for the items' ratings. Same goes for augmentations, perhaps with an Essence cost as well.
  • The status bar at the bottom could also be expanded, showing not only Build Points remaining, but also Essence and money.
TheIggle
on a side note, how about making this program open source? that way the community can continue updating/porting it should you lose interest or get sued by catalyst labs^^
whatevs
QUOTE (TheIggle @ Apr 19 2011, 07:04 PM) *
on a side note, how about making this program open source? that way the community can continue updating/porting it should you lose interest or get sued by catalyst labs^^

Lol, or hold onto it in case catylst wants to buy it. Open source would be cool though.
Nebular
I tend to avoid making my stuff open source after a number of bad experiences with it. I like the idea, but I'm a little protective of my code and like to know where everything is and what it's doing. Too many times I've had people go in and just make a bunch of changes for some unknown reason without discussing the impacts, breaking a bunch of things in the process, and writing it in some wacky way instead of following a standard.

I can, however, promise that if I ever lose interest and/or stop developing this and/or get smacked by Catalyst that I will release the source code so that others can continue the work. smile.gif
Beetle
I found a small bug in the qualities section. When selecting the Lucky quality, it isn't increasing the maximum edge attribute. Also edge is incorrectly listed under the Exceptional Attribute quality, but it does increase the edge maximum properly as if one had the Lucky quality. It's not a big deal to me as the qualities cost the same, but it's something I wanted to point out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012