Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chummer Character Generator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77
Wizard_Thoarin
Out of curiosity, if you select a skill and then specify a specialization in the drop down window and that specialization ends up beyond rank 5 does it mess up the ability to choose two skills at rank 5 or one skill at rank 6? On the modified Bounty Hunter I'm entering for another player in my campaign it won't let me raise the two skills he has at rank 5 past rank 4 on the dial. The only thing I can think of that would prevent the 1 skill at rank 6 or 2 skills at rank 5 for starting characters would be if specializations is messing it up some how.

I think I'm going to ask over on the Catalyst Shadowrun forums about the Runners Toolkit issue... I've seen them make mistakes in their PDF version that gets corrected before the Hard Copy comes out.

By the way, there is an errata thread over on the Catalyst Shadowrun forums for Runners Toolkit, It's not too big yet only a single page but I posted my question there.
LonePaladin
QUOTE (Wizard_Thoarin @ May 14 2011, 03:47 PM) *
Out of curiosity, if you select a skill and then specify a specialization in the drop down window and that specialization ends up beyond rank 5 does it mess up the ability to choose two skills at rank 5 or one skill at rank 6?

Just tested this myself, it works fine. Specialization doesn't affect the actual rank of a skill, just the number of dice you roll. If it's not letting you move those skills to 5, then you've got something else in your skill list that's already at the maximum.
Wizard_Thoarin
QUOTE (LonePaladin @ May 14 2011, 01:01 PM) *
Just tested this myself, it works fine. Specialization doesn't affect the actual rank of a skill, just the number of dice you roll. If it's not letting you move those skills to 5, then you've got something else in your skill list that's already at the maximum.

Ok, caught it... somehow the First Aid 3 got bumped up to 6... probably due to use of the mouse wheel. Thanks for the test though.

I am getting an unusual error message when I open the character I was working on now though.... Character can't have more the 35 BP in Positive Qualities... The thing is, except for the Minotaur Racial qualities, I've only spent 30 BP on the character unless I'm just not seeing a check mark somewhere.

Minotaur Racial:
Metagenetic Improvement (Body)
Thermographic Vision {checked and greyed out for some reason}
Goring Horns {checked and greyed out for some reason}

Chosen Positive Improvements:
Animal Empathy +10
Quick Healer +10
Resistance to Pathogens & Toxins +10

Chosen Negative Qualities (to be complete):
Gremlins (1) -5
SINner (standard) -5
Uncouth -20
ggodo
I may be missing it, but where is the Adept Way cost applied?
I think it's a 10 point quality. I can get the discounts like a way, but I can't find the quality.
LonePaladin
The inherent qualities are greyed out because you can't change them. (You can't remove Goring Horns, f'rinstance.)

You've got something checked elsewhere. Try pulling up a print-preview and looking at the list of qualities.
Wizard_Thoarin
My character sheet lists:

Animal Empathy
Gremlins (rating 1)
Quick Healer
Resistance to Pathogens and Toxins
Sinner (standard)
Uncouth

And I don't see the Minotaur racial qualities listed at all on the Character Sheet.
Wizard_Thoarin
I have a couple other question right now though.

1. It looks like knowledge skills are treating anything you put in the second drop down box as a specialization. Unless I'm missing something, broad knowledge skills require a concentration (or specialization if you will) and don't receive any bonus (+2) from the specification. Example Trids -> Cop 3 shows on the character sheet

Trids (cop) pool 6(8 ), rating 3, attribute 3.

2. Early on in this discussion, Custom data was brought up with adding custom xml files to hold the user data so that we don't loose any custom data we enter later on when update the base xml data files. Has this been implemented and have you settled on a file name or file names that the program recognizes for us to put our custom data in? I'm sure the format for the custom data will follow the same format as the xml file it is based on so looking up examples shouldn't be a problem. Just wanted to know how we should enter our custom data or is

if all we need to do is append Custom_ in front of the base xml file name like Custom_Armor.xml in order to enter custom armor and that works for all the other files that would be great to know.

Anyway, I'd like to be able to enter some custom spells I created once I convert then from the way they worked in Shadowrun 2. But I don't want to loose them or have to continually paste them back into the base xml file after an update.
longbowrocks
Is vision enhancement (in the vision enhancement category from the core book) in there? I don't see it. Or any items from that section of the book for that matter.
Nebular
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ May 14 2011, 06:34 PM) *
Is vision enhancement (in the vision enhancement category from the core book) in there? I don't see it. Or any items from that section of the book for that matter.

Yes, they are there. They must be added as plugins to an existing piece of Gear since they cannot be taken on their own, so you won't see the category until you're adding a plugin to something that can accept them (such as Binoculars).
Nebular
QUOTE (Wizard_Thoarin @ May 14 2011, 06:29 PM) *
I have a couple other question right now though.

1. It looks like knowledge skills are treating anything you put in the second drop down box as a specialization. Unless I'm missing something, broad knowledge skills require a concentration (or specialization if you will) and don't receive any bonus (+2) from the specification. Example Trids -> Cop 3 shows on the character sheet

Trids (cop) pool 6(8 ), rating 3, attribute 3.

2. Early on in this discussion, Custom data was brought up with adding custom xml files to hold the user data so that we don't loose any custom data we enter later on when update the base xml data files. Has this been implemented and have you settled on a file name or file names that the program recognizes for us to put our custom data in? I'm sure the format for the custom data will follow the same format as the xml file it is based on so looking up examples shouldn't be a problem. Just wanted to know how we should enter our custom data or is

if all we need to do is append Custom_ in front of the base xml file name like Custom_Armor.xml in order to enter custom armor and that works for all the other files that would be great to know.

Anyway, I'd like to be able to enter some custom spells I created once I convert then from the way they worked in Shadowrun 2. But I don't want to loose them or have to continually paste them back into the base xml file after an update.

I'm not seeing anything in the SR4A book that says that some Knowledge Skills require a concentration and don't grant a Specialization bonus. In the event that they do, this would be something that you would simply put in the Knowledge Skill's name itself, giving you the option of allowing a Specialization in it later if your GM allows.

Yes, custom data files are supported. The file names just start with "custom_", so custom Armor would be "custom_armor.xml". I have a quick overview on creating custom data files and all of the data files themselves up on the Chummer Wiki: http://www.dndjunkie.com/chummer/wiki/
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Nebular @ May 14 2011, 03:47 PM) *
Yes, they are there. They must be added as plugins to an existing piece of Gear since they cannot be taken on their own, so you won't see the category until you're adding a plugin to something that can accept them (such as Binoculars).

Thanks. I just came back to say I found them, and you had already responded. That's fast!
Nebular
QUOTE (Wizard_Thoarin @ May 14 2011, 06:10 PM) *
My character sheet lists:

Animal Empathy
Gremlins (rating 1)
Quick Healer
Resistance to Pathogens and Toxins
Sinner (standard)
Uncouth

And I don't see the Minotaur racial qualities listed at all on the Character Sheet.

Can you send me your save file (nebular@shaw.ca) so I can take a look and see what's misbehaving? smile.gif
Nebular
QUOTE (ggodo @ May 14 2011, 05:46 PM) *
I may be missing it, but where is the Adept Way cost applied?
I think it's a 10 point quality. I can get the discounts like a way, but I can't find the quality.

They should appear in the Positive Qualities list, provided you have gone into the Options and added The Way of the Adept to your list of approved source books. They should be in with the other Qualities staring with "T" (it sorts it by first letter, regardless of starting with "the" or not). They should appear as "The Artisan's Way", "The Artist's Way", "The Athelete's Way", "The Burnout's Way", "The Invisible Way", and so on.
Nebular
QUOTE (LonePaladin @ May 14 2011, 03:28 PM) *
I'll try that this evening.

In the meantime, there's another little add-on I'd like to see added to the sourcebook list: Digital Grimoire. (Can't finish the original PACKS document without it.)

I've made some entries in a custom-packs.xml file for testing, and it doesn't seem to be appearing on the list of options. Perhaps the program isn't reading it?

I will likely have another small update later tomorrow which will add in the Digital Grimoire, hopefully fix the screen size issue once and for all (I can hope! biggrin.gif), and the Traditions filtering by source book.
Did you call the file "custom-packs.xml" or "custom_packs.xml"? It looks for "custom_" with an underscore.
Wizard_Thoarin
I've sent the problem character.
Wizard_Thoarin
I guess on knowledge skills I should never mind... there is just a note that the specific knowledge skill shouldn't be too broad and the specialization should be significantly narrower then the base skill. I guess its a GM balancing Act.

But I think I'm going to go through and add things like Hangouts and a few other things that look like standard knowledge skills that I don't see in the list.

I still think it would be nice to filter the list in the first drop down window by selecting the type Language, Professional, Street, etc that you can select in the third drop down box.
longbowrocks
This time I've done a little looking, and I'm pretty sure I have a valid question. Where is empathy software/emotitoys? I tried finding empathy software for my trideo camera, but I didn't see it in the plugins.
Nebular
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ May 14 2011, 10:53 PM) *
This time I've done a little looking, and I'm pretty sure I have a valid question. Where is empathy software/emotitoys? I tried finding empathy software for my trideo camera, but I didn't see it in the plugins.

Doesn't look like I've added these. I know I've seen 'em somewhere, but can't remember which book(s) they were in. Do you recall where they are?
Nebular
QUOTE (Wizard_Thoarin @ May 14 2011, 06:53 PM) *
I've sent the problem character.

Found the problem. While the application is loading, it's is still doing the rule validation check for Qualities, but doesn't know about Qualities gained from the Metatype at that point, so it throws them in with the other Positive Qualities and complains because it thinks you've spent too much. I've told it to shut up and mind its own business while the character is being loaded. smile.gif This will be in the next update.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Nebular @ May 14 2011, 11:12 PM) *
Doesn't look like I've added these. I know I've seen 'em somewhere, but can't remember which book(s) they were in. Do you recall where they are?

No problem, and thanks for asking.
Emotitoys: AR 57
Empathy software: AR 60
Nebular
Well, I think I missed the Empathy Software because it wasn't in an actual table. No idea why I passed over the Drones, but they're both in and will be part of the next update. Empathy Software is both a plugin for Vehicle Sensors and a part of the Vision Enhancements Category in Gear. I've also added the household Drones from Runner's Companion.
Wizard_Thoarin
Sustaining Foci should have a drop down window that has the user select the category of spell they can sustain (Combat, Detection, Health, Illusion, or Manipulation). Currently they don't give you the option to specify the category of spell they can sustain.

Shouldn't Spell Formulae have you pick a specific spell as well as the category?

I'm working on a prime runner ghoul-mage that has recently purchased some magical formulae that he's planning on adding to his repertoire. But since he won't be able to spend the karma on them before the players fight him, they will end up as loot for the players.
Nebular
Gear will be updated to have a Counterspelling, Spellcasting, and Sustaining Foci for each of the Categories.
Adding a Formula will also ask for a Spell to be selected (though it doesn't ask you to pick an Attribute or enter text for Spells like Demolish [Object]) - this will need to be picked once the character actually adds the Spell to their repertoire.
Nebular
Build 81
  • added support for <selectspell /> to Improvement Manager which asks the character to select a Spell
  • added Revision History to the Help menu to view the revision history of the application
  • added Spells, Gear, Traditions, and Powers from Digital Grimoire
  • added Empathy Software and Emotitoys from Arsenal
  • added Lifestyle Drones from Runner's Companion
  • broke Counterspelling, Spellcasting, and Sustaining Foci into multiple items for each Spell Category
  • Combat, Detection, Health, Illusion, and Manipulation Spell Formulae now ask for a Spell to be selected
  • window contents immediately resize when the Create and Career windows open to accommodate smaller screen sizes and eliminate the need for manually resizing the window to trigger this
  • loading a character with Qualities gained through a Metatype no longer cause the application to complain about spending too much on Positive/Negative Qualities
  • Active and Knowledge Skills are no longer limited by the character creation rules in Career Mode
  • adding Enemies during Career Mode no longer attempts to check that you are within Negative Quality BP limits
  • Magic Traditions list now filters on source book
Wizard_Thoarin
Small request, that isn't critical in any way... but can we get a predefined split in the character sheet for printing across two or more pages if the character sheet goes onto those extra pages. I don't know what would be involved especially if you have to format for both U.S.A. Letter and European A4 paper sizes. It just kind of sucks when one of the tables splits the information and runs across two pages.
redwulf25
I was trying to make a Hobgoblin using the Karma rules and got the following error:

[ Spoiler ]

If I click continue the character comes up with Orc stats but the minimum and maximum for all his stats is the human range (1-6). This appears to happen only with Hobgoblins (tried a few other metatypes but not all of them, others may be effected) and only in Karma based char gen.
Nebular
Looks like this only happened when a Metavariant starts with Negative Qualities. I'd say "this will be fixed in the next version", but I can do one better. biggrin.gif (I also had the bright idea of making Ammo affect Weapon stats in Career Mode)

Build 82
  • added AP, RC, and Damage information for Ammunition in gear.xml
  • loading a Weapon with Ammunition now updates the Weapon's AP, RC, and Damage by applying the Ammunition's properties to it (Ammunition needs to be removed and re-added to existing characters)
  • creating a new character using a Metavariant that comes with Negative Qualities no longer throws an error
redwulf25
QUOTE (Nebular @ May 15 2011, 09:56 PM) *
Looks like this only happened when a Metavariant starts with Negative Qualities. I'd say "this will be fixed in the next version", but I can do one better. biggrin.gif (I also had the bright idea of making Ammo affect Weapon stats in Career Mode)

Build 82
  • added AP, RC, and Damage information for Ammunition in gear.xml
  • loading a Weapon with Ammunition now updates the Weapon's AP, RC, and Damage by applying the Ammunition's properties to it (Ammunition needs to be removed and re-added to existing characters)
  • creating a new character using a Metavariant that comes with Negative Qualities no longer throws an error

Thanks!
Nigel
I must say, this is fantastic. Not only does it have tons of rules and is organized clearly, it's regularly updated. Great program!
LonePaladin
I agree, this is effectively negating what I was working on myself -- so I'm just going to have to change to something else related, maybe a combat-runner.

I'd like to see Chummer's interface get a makeover, go for something a little less "Windows" and a little more "sci-fi", but that's just me. More important that it actually works, and is accurate -- eye candy can come later.
redwulf25
QUOTE (LonePaladin @ May 16 2011, 01:22 AM) *
I agree, this is effectively negating what I was working on myself -- so I'm just going to have to change to something else related, maybe a combat-runner.

Well, if you're looking for suggestions I've been looking at Chummer lately and thinking that what I could use is some sort of Chummer compatible NPC/threat generator. Something where I could do something like "Here's a standard Ares Security Guard, now lets make him a Force 3 Hybrid Cockroach." and various other NPC only options. I'd get started myself if my programing ability went beyond

CODE
10 PRINT Hello
20 GOTO 10

I'm not even sure if you CAN code a machine in basic anymore.
Wizard_Thoarin
I think back around page 6 or 7 Nebular added a link to Contacts and NPC's he pre-built for us. I think it covers those in the main book, not sure if it covers those in the booklet that came with the old GM Screen or other sources. Those are a good start to modifying to your hearts content. You might need to check the box that your now maintaining the character then dump a bunch of Karma on it to build it how you want. Toxic Cocroach minion converts not included of course... lol

Now a separate utility for Spirits and Animals with all their powers, that would be cool for a GM. Although it might harken a bit back to an old D&D GM that used to do "Critter of the Week" but that's a personal issue.
redwulf25
QUOTE (Wizard_Thoarin @ May 16 2011, 03:03 AM) *
I think back around page 6 or 7 Nebular added a link to Contacts and NPC's he pre-built for us. I think it covers those in the main book, not sure if it covers those in the booklet that came with the old GM Screen or other sources. Those are a good start to modifying to your hearts content. You might need to check the box that your now maintaining the character then dump a bunch of Karma on it to build it how you want. Toxic Cocroach minion converts not included of course... lol

Now a separate utility for Spirits and Animals with all their powers, that would be cool for a GM. Although it might harken a bit back to an old D&D GM that used to do "Critter of the Week" but that's a personal issue.

I agree the Ares Guard part is simple, but then due to a bunch of NPC only things if I want him to be inhabited by a Bug or a Shedim I have to print out the guard and make a bunch of hand written notations. I just wish adding things like that was as simple as creating a PC. And I can't ask Nebular to do it, even if he were willing there's too much that still needs done with Chummer I think.
Nebular
QUOTE (Wizard_Thoarin @ May 16 2011, 01:03 AM) *

Anyone notice the File > New changed to File > New Character in last night's update? wink.gif
LonePaladin
QUOTE (Wizard_Thoarin @ May 16 2011, 02:03 AM) *

I made a spreadsheet that does all the math on spirits, including the selection of optional powers and calculating things like how many dice are rolled for each power.

I'm going to see about reworking it into something more useful at the table. Maybe an Android app, once I can get the finer points of coding in Eclipse. (I don't have a smartphone myself, but Eclipse has an add-on that acts as an Android emulator, so I can test it.)
Wizard_Thoarin
QUOTE (Nebular @ May 16 2011, 05:55 AM) *
Anyone notice the File > New changed to File > New Character in last night's update? wink.gif

Sorry, Nebular I didn't notice that last night, but I did notice that when I checked for updates a few minutes ago it gave me a gear update, then another gear update, and then another gear update, etc... etc...

Not sure why, but it looks like its in some kind of infinite loop of possible update. Only (Data Files -> Gear) was showing up as having something to update though.
Nebular
Yeah, I noticed that too. I forgot to update the version number in the actual gear.xml file, but remembered to update it in the list of version numbers. I've corrected that little mistake.

There will be another "New" entry in File menu soon along the lines of what I kind of hinted at. What else could a GM possibly want to create in Chummer? biggrin.gif
LonePaladin
QUOTE (Nebular @ May 16 2011, 05:35 PM) *
There will be another "New" entry in File menu soon along the lines of what I kind of hinted at. What else could a GM possibly want to create in Chummer? biggrin.gif

PACKS-style packages. I can only manually enter so much XML before my eyes start to cross. Not to mention trying to guess exactly how to enter an item from the gear list so that it doesn't throw an exception.
Nebular
QUOTE (LonePaladin @ May 16 2011, 04:50 PM) *
PACKS-style packages. I can only manually enter so much XML before my eyes start to cross. Not to mention trying to guess exactly how to enter an item from the gear list so that it doesn't throw an exception.

What are you trying to add a piece of Gear to? Is the source Gear item coming from a custom file?
Nebular
Well, this moved along faster than I thought it would. A bunch of data still needs to be added, but... Who wants Critters! biggrin.gif

Build 84
  • added Movement values to Metatypes (this will only be applied to new characters)
  • added Movement to character sheets
  • maximum MAG and RES are now based on the Metatype's maximum ESS instead of 6
  • added support for Critters
LonePaladin
Oh, I'm just having issues in general, mostly with my impatience with XML formatting. Too much time using Excel for things like data-entry, I guess.

Anyway, more requests to add to the to-do list.
  • In Career mode, we need a way to track reputation modifiers; they've already got places on the character sheet and the .chum file, they just need an in-program way to alter the numbers.
  • Cameras and microphones (and their improvements) need to be options in the Sensor packages for vehicles/drones.
  • Cyberlimbs should allow the player to specify left or right, mainly for ease of reference. Same applies to single cybereyes.
  • An option titled something like "Hide SURGE Qualities" would be nice.
  • Also, having the quality lists reflect your choices would help too. Things like selecting Magician would cause Adept, Mystic Adept, and Technomancer to vanish from the list. Might be difficult, depending on whether the quality lists are updated in real-time.
  • Chemical-delivery items need the option to add the drug or toxin as an attachment; this includes darts, gas grenades, injection arrows, etc. Simplest answer would be to use the chem as a price-increase so that you don't have to specify the quantity twice. (Buy 20 gas grenades, attach Neurostun to 'em, you're done.)
  • Program modifiers from Unwired need some lovin'.
redwulf25
The Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly doesn't allow me to designate if it is the Standard, Anti-vehicle, or C12 version of the drone.
Nebular
QUOTE (redwulf25 @ May 16 2011, 09:18 PM) *
The Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly doesn't allow me to designate if it is the Standard, Anti-vehicle, or C12 version of the drone.

Updated version of the vehicles.xml file is up and has the other versions.
redwulf25
QUOTE (Nebular @ May 16 2011, 10:43 PM) *
Updated version of the vehicles.xml file is up and has the other versions.

Thanks!
longbowrocks
QUOTE (redwulf25 @ May 15 2011, 10:51 PM) *
CODE
10 PRINT Hello
20 GOTO 10

I'm not even sure if you CAN code a machine in basic anymore.

Maybe. Then again, at first glance I thought you were trying to write assembly for a machine with 10 byte words. nyahnyah.gif

As for changes, can't micro cameras carry vision enhancements? It looks like "Camera, Micro" is unable to carry enhancements atm.
LonePaladin
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ May 17 2011, 12:36 AM) *
As for changes, can't micro cameras carry vision enhancements? It looks like "Camera, Micro" is unable to carry enhancements atm.

Yes, but micro cameras and mikes (a micro-microphone?) are limited to rating 1, which means only one improvement.
Dakka Dakka
I just found your program and it is looking pretty good.
As I play around with it i found some bugs/issues:
- Aren't Surge and Martial Arts supposed to be part of the 35 BP limit on Qualities?
- Celerity does not modify the Movement Rate
- Quick Draw is missing form the Maneuver list.
- Putting Skilled Dice Pools before the defaults may be a good idea
- It's "guerilla" in the Combat Tactics Specilaization not "geurilla".
- (At least with the suprathyroid gland) the Damage boxes are not calculated correctly. It's Round Up(8+(BOD/2)). The Suprathyroid Gland is one of the few pieces of ware that actually increase the BOD Attribute.
- Showing the Sheet via the print button/menu item is not very intuitive.
- 7 lines is not enough to display all the qualities on the Char Sheet
- Bone Density does not show up as modifying the Unarmed Attack. Just as with the Condition Monitors, STR/2 should be rounded UP.
-The smaller of Cyber and Bioware Essence cost is not halved!
- Personalized Grip does not add RC.
- The Underbarrel Grenade Launcher of the Ares Alpha should have its own range not the AR range.
- Naming weapons would be a nice feature.
- Putting PPP and helmets under Armor mods is a bit weird.
So that's what I found at the moment. Keep up the good work.
Sephiroth
Also, Unseen Hands (from WA) is supposed to apply to the whole Stealth skill group, not any single skill from it. Critias clarified this in the WA thread on the main forums.

EDIT: It also looks like it doesn't know Unseen Hands is a power with levels, since it starts at level 1 and locks me out of putting in more levels to the power.
ShadowWalker
For some reason when I start a new character the buttons for each window is mostly off the bottom of the window. It's far enough off the window that I can't see any text on the buttons.
I've got the latest versions of .net and I'm using windows 7.
SpellBinder
Couple of things I noticed when playing around with this program too.

The number of spells and complex forms that can be known is capped, even in career mode. Also, complex forms aren't being capped by by the Resonance attribute like they should be, and cannot exceed a rating of 6 when Resonance does.

Also, been wondering if a few options can be added. Thinking of karma cost for races at character generation, and free knowledge skills & contacts under karma generation. House rules, I know, but I am pretty sure that there are people who'll be using this that'll use those rules. Would also like to see tasks and groups and such for Initiation/Submersion, and Streams for technomancers like magicians have their traditions.

Am liking this for certain. Is taking some time to get used to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012