Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OoC Evolution
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
Kliko
Pls add something on ID costs and/or visas.

As far as Kliko is concerned he just wants the appropiate visas/passes subscribed to the SIN's they're using.

Time for some rock and roll, trust you send the maps by mail?
Bastard
I have to put the maps on the com, then yes, I will email them.

The IDs will include travel visas, and Mrs Johnson will get the costs to you.
Kliko
QUOTE (Bastard @ Jan 22 2011, 07:33 PM) *
The IDs will include travel visas, and Mrs Johnson will get the costs to you.

meh, more costs frown.gif

Here's some rolls for our border hop back to Ute:
[ Spoiler ]

Feel free to rejoin the teams, have Corsair/Klinktastic do some surveillance and Jamie/galenbd some matrix legwork.
Bastard
Woops! twirl.gif

Had to edit my meet ic post... Mr. Johnson provided the access codes to everything except the highest which only Morningstar has.

-1 GM point.
ntwi
Felix's List is pretty short:

1. Magemask
2. Containment Manacles modified with FAB II and a Taser (They exist in 4th I believe, and my face to face group has been using them homerule style for even longer. Long story short, if the guy astrally projects or manipulates mana, the bacteria fluoresce, triggering the taser which stops whatever he was trying to do rather quickly.)
3. Standard restraints and Headjammer

I'll post all the die rolls for hopping the border back in the morning.
galenbd
@Bastard I have questions about accessing cell phone records. I know that I can hack the telco, but that's hard core. I'm considering other options. Today, a law enforcement officer can get access to cell records. I expect a court order would be necessary.

In 2062, I expect Lone Star can access cell phone records. I would not like to hack Lone Star either. Can lesser security companies get access to cell phone records?

I'm thinking I would like to get Morningstar's cell phone calls. I'd like to hack a lesser security company and use that companies system to request the records. Then carry it off for my own purposes.

Galen
Bastard
@Galen - fucking deckers. You would have to hack the phone company he uses, which is unknown at this point. Or you can go about getting a warrant, hack the UCAS court system for that. Hacking Lone Star would be of no help, unless they already have his phone records. Or when you nab him, you will acquire his datafiles and his phone.

@ntwi - It will depend on availability to Mrs. Johnson.

@Kliko and ntwi - the maps in the envelope include address and directions:
East 58th Ave & Eudora Street
galenbd
@Bastard Wow, hating.

Actually, I was planning to hack the security company, like Lone Star and insert the request from there. To the telco, it would then look like a legitimate request. Then I'd wait or come back for the data the request returned. The key question is whether I can make this sort of request from inside a security company's host or is something else required. What will the telco accept? Here's a Security Procedures roll if needed. 8,4,3

His phone will have the calls he had made and to whom, but it will not include recordings or transcripts. That is what I am looking for. That would be more pertinent to Mr. J's investigation.

This has not been asked for, but I may be wanting to try for this data at some point. I'm trying to understand how to go about it.

Galen
klinktastic
@Basterd - Do I need to make any rolls to set up my LTA drones around the area we need survailance footage of?
Bastard
Look at your flux rating Klink. I usually extend that by quite a bit. If you are just going to fly them around, no rolls are necessary. If you want to avoid anything then I will need perception tests and pilot (stealth) tests. Anything else you can think of, roll.

Galen, thanks for rolling a Sec Pro Test, instead of just fishing. Your conclusion is that inserting the request for a warrant into the local Lone Star database could get you a court order, however, it would have to be associated with a case with priority.

Note to All: Please roll for info like Galen did, instead of asking me what is the best way. I do give subtle hints and warnings, some more blatant than others, not to put you on the right path, but to try and guide you away from a bad path, but I will not tell you which way to go. I do not like railroading the game.

For example, I had emailed Mr. Juan a while back:
QUOTE (IM: Bastard to Mr. Juan)
The Messenger mission was not completed 100%. I left some clues that would have lead the team to Mr. Smith's identification. The pink papers were the rental agreement for the van and would have lead back to Mr. Smith. You were not burned by Mr. Smith, as he kept his end of the bargain, which the double payment was meant to make you question (last time stamp).

I didn't do anything but add in some subtle clues and let the team decide where to go. I think that this leaves the Sixth World wide open to your exploration, rather than following the path drawn out by the actual run, giving you more freedom. I do not have a certain way you have to complete the mission.

As a matter of fact, I usually take a mission from a book cut out all the double crosses and designed paths, and using the base storyline, some of the characters, and some of the maps. I do not design a way for you to get in and out of a run. I set up defenses for all the ways I can think of getting in and out, so long as they do not go outside of the IC boundaries. (So if your mission was to steal a Slurpee from a Stuffer Shack, there would not be a security mage and armed guards in hiding. All you would need to do is distract the clerk or whatever you decide, and make the steal.)

So again, please heed my warnings when I do make them blatant, such as crossing boarders will not be that easy.
Kliko
Yeah, we were lucky with our payment in escrow cool.gif

We could have followed up on the imposter Johnson, but I think at that time we were all happy to be alive, completed our end of the bargain and made it back home with double pay!

That's enough succes for me grinbig.gif
[ Spoiler ]

What tricked Kliko to open up with some applied firepower was the Imposter mentioning he would get his way "whatever means". At least at that moment the team held the upper (tactical)hand and wouldn't have to compromise their original mr Smith (whatever happend to him?).
Bastard
I also must reiterate: I will not have all my Johnson's double cross you for no reason.

99% of the time they will follow what Mrs. Johnson said: "Faulting on a deal would not only destroy [my reputation], but also his. You cannot stay in this business without a solid rep, on both sides of this table."

It is well and good that your players are a bit paranoid, but the above is how I believe the world of Shadowrun to really work. Not like the printed adventure books, where it is 99% of the time that the plot twist is the Mr. Johnson double cross. Which I don't understand how that is a twist, when everyone is expecting it.

If a Mr. Johnson disposed of his runners or screwed them over, don't you think that would harm the fixer's rep? So then don't you think he would send a team after the Mr. Johnson?
Kliko
lol, Point taken rotfl.gif

-EDIT-
Does his guy live there? The street view gives a two story business residence. Temples aren't what they used to be I guess...
Bastard
QUOTE (Kliko @ Jan 24 2011, 10:13 AM) *
At least at that moment the team held the upper (tactical)hand and wouldn't have to compromise their original mr Smith (whatever happend to him?).

If you want to know, maybe you can fund your own trip back to French Guiana! vegm.gif
Kliko
QUOTE (Bastard @ Jan 24 2011, 01:26 PM) *
If you want to know, maybe you can fund your own trip back to French Guiana! vegm.gif
No nuyen in that (we're not paid to care). He would fund a trip to check-up Sugar though. beret.gif
Bastard
Touche.

I do have to set up Sugar to come back, at least in an NPC role.

Right now I am waiting on Felix and Kliko to recross the border, the team to reassemble, and to come up with an equipment list for Mrs. Johnson. If you want IDs/visas, remember to send the info with pictures.
Bastard
QUOTE (Kliko @ Jan 24 2011, 10:24 AM) *
Does his guy live there? The street view gives a two story business residence. Temples aren't what they used to be I guess...

Yeah, once Corsair gets his drones overhead I will give you a detailed description of the place.
galenbd
Ok, so that sounds like the telco will not give up their data without a court order. Regardless of whether the source is government law enforcement, or security corporation request. If I insert the request, this might be noticed by bean counters tracking case numbers. Drat. That sounds like this data would have to be acquired the hard way. I'm seeing a GM Clue-by-four here.

Ok, so I'm moving on to the search test. I'll put this IC once Jamie's conversation with Corsair is done. I want a dossier on Morningstar. Of particular interest are his magical capabilities.

At the moment, I consider this a Standard Search. Base TN is 5. Time is 2d6 hours and cost is 10 per hour. Here are the modifiers I think I am operating under:

Character keeps a low profile while searching +2

Search requires use of more than 1 grid +1 per grid

I think Morningstar originated in UCAS, so I am inluding that grid in my search. That gives me a modified TN of 8.

Does my knowledge skill for data haven give complemently dice? Or does this modifier apply:

Character has appropriate Knowledge skill of 3-5 -1

Galen
Bastard
Does your character have knowledge of the Denver Data Haven?

If so, make that knowledge skill roll first, each >4 add a -1 tm modifier.

Is Jamie making the search herself?
ntwi
Here's another set of rolls to cross the border. Same general plan, with the air spirit concealing us.
[ Spoiler ]

Presuming we make it safely to the team, after a short nap to recover the stun damage, Felix will go astrally scout the temple and environs.
[ Spoiler ]
galenbd
QUOTE (Bastard @ Jan 24 2011, 02:59 PM) *
Does your character have knowledge of the Denver Data Haven?

If so, make that knowledge skill roll first, each >4 add a -1 tm modifier.

Is Jamie making the search herself?

Jamie is doing the search herself.

Nothing in Jamie's background says she used it before, so I think she doesn't already have knowledge of the Denver Data Haven. I was hoping to use it since it's in the area. I don't know how you want to handle me trying to get access to it. While it way not be needed. Here's the Data Havens roll:

Data Havens: 5,5,4

Please let me know how long this takes. Here's the actual search roll.

Search roll: 5,5,2,1,1,1

Boy, did that last one suck. I guess it made up for the good Data Havens roll. If I can't get access to the Nexus, I think I scored no successes.

Galen
Bastard
Jamie - The Denver Data Haven is something specific that Jamie would already have to know, just like you would have to have Shadowlands as a contact.

From my understanding, you can access the nexus from the matrix. It is kind of like if you have a 4G phone, but there is no 4G in the area, it will bump down to 3G or 2G, whatever happens to be the highest provided in the area. That is how I understand it. It is like another server.

Felix - Can you heal stun wounds caused by your magic, with your magic? Seems like a loop hole to me... but if you can, do.

You make the crossing safely, go ahead and post a detailed IC ending with Kliko and Felix rejoining the team.

QUOTE (Kliko @ Jan 24 2011, 12:36 PM) *
"Hye, how's life? ... yeah, we got the job, uhuh,, hmm, yes, extraction. Some nutcase cult, uhuh... yeah. You want to earn a cut? We be needing two safehouses for this job, 1 UCAS near Commerce city, and pick one sector for a backup... uhuh, yeah, big garage for our rides, this and next week yeah. How much? that much? Ah, I see... What if we cut one week? See what can be done... Like to have you here as well, can you spare some time this week?... the weather is beautifull up here" 'Hah!'

I like how you left room for Ludi's responses! grinbig.gif
ntwi
No, there is no way to heal stun wounds other than rest. Stim patches can let you ignore the modifiers, but thats it. Fortunatly, if you only have a little bit of stun, and a decent either body or willpower you can recover pretty quick.
[ Spoiler ]

Note on the abuses of Magic and Healing:
[ Spoiler ]

The piece of gear that lets me do things with less risk is the Trauma Damper from M&M pg 75. The Trauma Damper helps as it shifts a box of physical damage to stun, or reduces the stun damage by one box. For a Street Sam it's only middling useful, but to a mage, the ability to have L Stun wounds just not appear is pretty damn useful. Thats why I had cleared it with you before the game, but if you want me to retcon it out of my character I can.

Bastard
Nope. Keep it. That is damn good to know, and sounds like good planning. I always used Synaptic Accelerator so my mages could cast more spell per turn.
galenbd
QUOTE (Bastard @ Jan 24 2011, 07:08 PM) *
Jamie - The Denver Data Haven is something specific that Jamie would already have to know, just like you would have to have Shadowlands as a contact.

From my understanding, you can access the nexus from the matrix. It is kind of like if you have a 4G phone, but there is no 4G in the area, it will bump down to 3G or 2G, whatever happens to be the highest provided in the area. That is how I understand it. It is like another server.

I agree with both of these paragraphs. Unfortunately. Ok, how much time do I waste turning up nothing? A correction to the search time. My Response Increase is only 1, so the base time is 2d6 hours x 2.

Galen
Bastard
16 hours.

What exactly are you looking for?
galenbd
Sigh, 16 hours. I was trying to get a dossier on Morningstar. Of particular import is whether or not he is magically active.

Galen
Bastard
He isn't a real public official, but the matrix does provide some info. When you reach the time limit, you will have your dossier, but it will probably be done well before that.
Kliko
Think we'll get a magemask and knock him out with narcojet or something anyway.

Sounds like a great "No sir, they made me wear that" nodding at the mask "I didn't hear or see them" kind of thing.
Bastard
Waiting on:

Ludi - IC: response to Kliko's phone call. Response to legwork (from IM).

Corsair - OoC: Drones? Rolls? Flux Ratings?

Bubba - IC/OoC: Are you still around?

Kliko - IC: Once you get everyone's shopping list, text it to Mrs. Johnson.
Kliko
QUOTE (Bastard @ Jan 26 2011, 09:23 PM) *
Waiting on:
Kliko - IC: Once you get everyone's shopping list, text it to Mrs. Johnson.
First do some IC planning, gather everybodies thoughts/input.

Expect only low-tech kit (except apart from the mage mask). I already prepped a temporary list, but lets see what our recon brings forth first.
klinktastic
@Basterd - See spoilers for details on drone related attributes:

[ Spoiler ]

Given that I'll be at this for a couple days, I'll post 1 roll per day, for 3 days. It might not take that long, but I'll just pre-roll for the sake of it.

1. Create Mapsofts of the building's exterior and surrounding buildings and streets

[ Spoiler ]

2. Check for Security Measures on the building, fences, wired windows, cameras, etc

[ Spoiler ]

3. Perform headcount of all people entering and leaving, if possible, take pictures of everyone's faces.

[ Spoiler ]

Editted to re-roll 6s.
SneakyJoeKDB
Bubba is still around, There just hasnt been much for him to add. He is soaking in a tub in the motel room defrosting...

He would like some gel rounds for his cyber shotguns and more donuts. He is waiting for someone to give him some direction.
Kliko
QUOTE (SneakyJoeKDB @ Jan 27 2011, 04:56 PM) *
Bubba is still around, There just hasnt been much for him to add. He is soaking in a tub in the motel room defrosting...

He would like some gel rounds for his cyber shotguns and more donuts. He is waiting for someone to give him some direction.
No problem, there's some shopping to be done for sure rather sooner than later wink.gif
galenbd
I think I'm ready to move the IC thread on to the end of my fruitless search test.

Galen
Kliko
That was a 16 hour extended test?

@Bastard: Can you give galenb some of his results upto say 02:00.

Kliko goes to bed around 0:30. We'll start planning next morning after breakfast with Corsairs, Felix' and Jamie's results.

I'm planning on doing some radio-scanner surveillance in case they have security guards or something at the temple (find frequencies, monitor security procedures, record responses etc.) once we can get to the UCAS-sector after we get those passes/ID's/visa's. That might take some 24-36 hrs as well.
Bastard
I will catch everyone up on Sunday for where you are so far. Another busy week at work.

EDIT
Working now. rotate.gif
Bastard
Questions.

Corsair
Are you leaving your blimps floating around or are you bringing them back after each flight? What are your flight patterns if you are leaving them in automated flight?

I will add to my IC once I have these questions answered.
galenbd
@Bastard So I have done 5 hours of my 16 hour search before I went to bed?

Galen
Bastard
abouts
Mister Juan
A box of donuts is worth a bullet.

This goes to confirm that Bubba is my favorite character in the entire world. grinbig.gif
Bastard
QUOTE (SneakyJoeKDB @ Feb 1 2011, 03:55 PM) *
Bubba sits down and starts munching away, while chewing and donut crumbs spilling out of his mouth he says to Felix, "I'll takes a bullet for yous, a box of donuts is worth at least one bullets."
rotfl.gif

Remember coffin motel rooms aren't much more than a bed. Think of a lightly decorated jail cell (6x9). You may want to relocate to a regular cheap motel/hotel where there is more room. Rates range from $50-70 per night (+$10 Fridays and Saturdays). A moderate hotel would range from $70-120 (+$10-20 for Fri and Sat).
SneakyJoeKDB
spin.gif Bubba is just a young oversized pup that needs the right motivation. Mainly acceptance. And then he will perform!
Kliko
Kliko was planning to take them to a breakfast diner take a booth there and enjoy the free soykaff re-fills. Can they rent some office meeting space for say a day or part thereof?

Coffin motels are cramped as hell. Like youth hostels, but with more private beds (coffins).

@Bastard: That first floor Extrusion at the big doors to the CotD temple storage area, is that an overhang, ramp or both?
Bastard
QUOTE (Kliko @ Feb 1 2011, 10:54 PM) *
@Bastard: That first floor Extrusion at the big doors to the CotD temple storage area, is that an overhang, ramp or both?

It is a loading dock. A ramp going down so that tractor-trailers can be unloaded. Building a loading dock
Kliko
But does it include an overhang like on the picture? Something say we could stand on when say, opening one of those windows on the second floor? wink.gif

-EDIT-
@Bastard:
[ Spoiler ]

I'll update the IC with same some where tomorrow evening CET
SneakyJoeKDB
Are the gel rounds for Bubba's internal cyber shotguns part of the request? I see stun shells but those appear to be for a new shotgun? But if stun shells work too that's fine. We may want more rounds then.
Bastard
QUOTE (SneakyJoeKDB @ Feb 2 2011, 02:16 PM) *
Are the gel rounds for Bubbas internal cyber shotguns part of the request? I see stun shells but those appear to be for a new shotgun? But if stun shells work too that's fine. We may want more rounds then.

Mrs. Johnson will provide the gel rounds for any weapons you ask for, or specify in the list, at no cost. So list your cyber shotguns and you are covered.

QUOTE (Kliko @ Feb 2 2011, 01:01 PM) *
But does it include an overhang like on the picture? Something say we could stand on when say, opening one of those windows on the second floor? wink.gif

Negative. That is not an overhang. That is a dock in the picture. Like a big cement porch to unload the trucks.

Like these:
Unloading
Building probably looks somewhat like this too
digital
empty dock
Youre doing it wrong
ntwi
Try and get one dose of Gamma-Scopolamine, it has the nice secondary effect of lowering willpower (and therefore the targets ability to resist mindprobe so that I can dig through his memories). We can simply inject him with it after the capture. Its a faster acting and more effective drug than narcoject anyways, although more expensive.

Edited 1657

@Kliko And here I thought you might remember floating through the air twice earlier today... I can probably get two people invisible and floating outside the window. Open the window, tranq Morningstar, grab him and lower him to the waiting vehicle... could be do able. If I'm sustaining that many spells I won't be doing anything else... +4 to all TNs. If we keep this up I'll need to get myself a sustaining focus for Levitate.

Edited again at 1719

If we're going in through the building, some "splat glue" (M&M pg 114) might be just the trick to lock security and others behind doors and out of our way, either that or flood the place with Neurostun X Grenades and wear respirators. Nausea Gas is another great one for non-lethal attacks. Heck, dumping slip spray on the staircase behind us and going out the window can work too.

What can I say, I'm a fan of non-traditional tactics and the many fun chemical compounds.
Kliko
QUOTE (ntwi @ Feb 2 2011, 07:32 PM) *
If we're going in through the building, some "splat glue" (M&M pg 114) might be just the trick to lock security and others behind doors and out of our way, either that or flood the place with Neurostun X Grenades and wear respirators. Nausea Gas is another great one for non-lethal attacks. Heck, dumping slip spray on the staircase behind us and going out the window can work too.

What can I say, I'm a fan of non-traditional tactics and the many fun chemical compounds.
I'm all for 'special' tactics

All the other drugs are expensive, but also have a higher availibility (Gamma-Scopoline 8/2 weeks, Laes 21/21 weeks!). Narcojet for example is 3/48 hrs a lot easier available and cheaper.
Also note the Neurostun is breathing and contact vector too. So respirators just won't cut it.

Both Bubba and Kliko brought Neurostun VI gas-grenades (1 each) and smoke grenades (to cover up the gas), but they are more for contigency-planning then to actively use them.

I specifically picked gear with low availability and leave the SMG's to Bastard/ms Johnson to pick. That gives an air of professionalism (skill beats tech any time) and flexibility to the J
[ Spoiler ]

I like the idea of that slip-spray dumping in the staircase though.

We brought an Ascent-kit with us. Just get one of us on the roof and we'll manage in our climbing harnesses and athletics/climbing skill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012